Author Topic: Stanley Aventure series cook set review  (Read 16686 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
Stanley Aventure series cook set review
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »
Hey all, back again with another product review. This time it is for a Stanley Adventure Series Camp Cook & Cup Set. This set has a Stainless steel, 24 oz. pot and 2- 10oz insulated plastic cups that nest inside the pot. I picked up mine at my local Target store for $15.00.

The pot has gradations stamped on the sides (see pic above) that can be read from inside or out, in both ounces and milliliters. The lid, which fits tightly on top of the pot, has some holes punched into it to let steam escape and to use as a strainer if needed. Also on the lid is a plastic handle, which I have learned from others on forums tends to melt right away if the pot is used over an open flame. Stanley does not recommend using this pot over open flames so care must be taken if that is the intent. With the lid in place the handle of the pot will clamp down over top and hold everything securely.

The pot is single walled stainless steel and the cups are thick, BPA free, plastic. 

When nested, you can use the top cup to store your brew kit and creamer and sweeteners of choice. Really, anything you can fit into a 10 ounce space will fit perfectly.

The handle folds out, away from the pot, and clicks into a locked position. There is a sliding lock mechanism on the handle that will keep you from inadvertently unlocking the handle and having it fold up on you during use. To unlock the handle you squeeze the two sides until you feel it unlock, then it can be folded for storage.

The diameter of the pot is almost identical to that of a standard 32 oz. plastic Nalgene bottle, so any pouch that holds one should also be the right size for the Stanley pot. It won?t nest on the bottom of a Nalgene, which is a bit of a negative. Mainly because you will need to have a dedicated pouch or carry system for your Stanley kit. You can see in the bottom picture below how much space is left in the Condor water bottle pouch for extra cook set kit.

The set up with cups included is very light. The shipping weight given for it by Amazon is 12ounces. I do not have small enough scale to give my own measurement but to me the weight is negligible. Readers of the blog here know I have a Crusader canteen cup and cook set, standard NATO issue, and the Stanley is noticeably lighter than the Crusader. For 1 or 2 people on a day trip or even an over nighter this pot should work just fine for standard boiling. I think this pot paired with a GI mess kit would work fine for me as a simple, light weight cook set and I probably wouldn?t need anything more.

Performance: I got a boil out of the pot on my electric stove in about 8 and a half minutes, poured the boiling water right into the plastic mug for some of my favorite Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea. The cup warmed up but not quite to an uncomfortable level wearing a glove would have negated any feeling at all. The pot handles were pretty warm; I would probably use a bandana or shemagh in the field to grab it with.

So, with that I will conclude that this is a solid piece of gear that will perform very well as long as you use it as intended. Follow the Stanley directions and top rack it if you are using your dishwasher to clean the pot or mugs. Try to keep it out of direct flame and it should work just fine for years to come.

Thanks for looking, leave a little feedback, good bad or whatever, if you took the time to give this post a read.

Get out and have fun,

Jason O

The North Woodsman
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:46:43 AM by Angerland »
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Stanley Aventure series cook set review
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:33:39 AM »
Where do you get one and how many frogskins?
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:45:34 AM »
Good point! I got mine at Target for about $15.00
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
I have this set and like it a lot. I usually leave the plastic cups at home and fill the pot with food, tea, etc. My Olicamp space saver mug fits perfectly on the bottom, too. Also, this works perfectly with my alcohol stove kit. Overall, I couldn't be more satisfied with it. Thanks for the review! :D
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »
I was looking at one of those this weekend at Dick's and thought it was kind of nice.  It is still there because they were looking for $25.00 for it, but at $15.00 I could see one in my kit.  Thank you for the heads up and review.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »

They are also sold at Walmart,  my area store has them for $12.99,  I may pick one up for my day pack,  I'm wondering if the plastic handle on the cover does anything but serve as a lid lifter,  if not,  it looks like it could be replaced with a bent wire handle that wouldn't be prone to melting.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »

They are also sold at Walmart,  my area store has them for $12.99,  I may pick one up for my day pack,  I'm wondering if the plastic handle on the cover does anything but serve as a lid lifter,  if not,  it looks like it could be replaced with a bent wire handle that wouldn't be prone to melting.

That's pretty much all it does. It's totally replaceable.

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »

This is actually a mod I see all over the nets on these. Replacing the plastic tab for a wite bail of some kind. If you use the pot in an open flame tere is a good chance the plastic tab will melt off. Easy enough to get a length of cable or wire and fashion a loop handle as a mod. As others mentined regarding using the cups or not, that is another thing I love about this set, versatility.

Why don't we make this thread a show and tell? If you nhave one of these sets, show it off here in your favorite configuration? Lets see how many ways we can show this set off to our fellow adventurers!

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »

This is actually a mod I see all over the nets on these. Replacing the plastic tab for a wite bail of some kind. If you use the pot in an open flame tere is a good chance the plastic tab will melt off. Easy enough to get a length of cable or wire and fashion a loop handle as a mod. As others mentined regarding using the cups or not, that is another thing I love about this set, versatility.

Why don't we make this thread a show and tell? If you nhave one of these sets, show it off here in your favorite configuration? Lets see how many ways we can show this set off to our fellow adventurers!

I'll take some pics and post 'em tonight.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Stanley Aventure series cook set review
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »
Awesome review, thanks :)
I've been considering on of those sets for hunting and short overnighters.

It's good to know that you enjoy it!
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »
Thanks for the review.  I had one of those for well over a year and never used it yet.  I think it has the tags on it.  I need to get it out and put it to use.

:)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »
Thanks for the review! This might be preferable to the Coleman kit in that the steel might be more durable.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
Thanks for the review! This might be preferable to the Coleman kit in that the steel might be more durable.

PW,  I bought one of the Coleman sets last month,  the Walmart store that my daughter in law works at were clearing out a lot of stuff in the sporting goods dept left over from last season to make room for the new stuff,  I bought that set for ten bucks,  another 5x7 tarp for five dollars,  and some odds and ends fishing stuff.
  I was hoping to pick up a decent 2-man tent but there were none left,  anyhow,  the cook set looks good and that's about all I can say for it,  it's coated not hard anodised so it will scratch and chip,  all it is is a few small nesting pots,  you can boil three cups of water,  two cups, or one cup,  you can't bake in them or even fry eggs, any liquid does ok,  I tried heating beans and then Dinty Moore Beef Stew,  I did it over coals on a folding grill and I had to keep moving the pot away from the heat or the food would stick and burn,  they are too thin,  oh, and forget the nonstick look,  it's not and it does,  stick.
 I've developed a bias for aluminum and titanium camp cookware,  yes it's light,  yes it boils water ok,  for anything else, stick with stainless steel or cast iron.
 Other than those,  I have had decent luck with Blue Enamel camping cookware.

One pot that I do have for about the same money that is working out great for me is a MSR medium size Seagull stainless steel pot,  it comes with a folding handle on the pot that locks the cover down,  the cover is fairly flat and makes a nice size frying pan when used with a two dollar fish spreader,  which can also be used as a bail with most stainless water bottles,  the pot is under $20.00,  I got mine at Cabella's for $16.00.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »
Thanks for the great review mate.

Although I can't see it displacing my standard canteen/canteen cup/canteen cup stove stand/Swedish folding cup combo, I might have to pick up one of these Stanley sets and have a play. At the very least it'd find its way into the vehicle chuck box. Those plastic cups look bombproof.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »
Came home and took some quick pictures.

Full of food. Tea, oatmeal, a clif bar:

With my space saver mug. Perfect fit.

With my alcy stove kit:

Holding over 20 oz of water and the handle closed. If you replaced the plastic tab with a key ring, etc, you might be able hang the pot this way.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »

PW,  I bought one of the Coleman sets last month,  the Walmart store that my daughter in law works at were clearing out a lot of stuff in the sporting goods dept left over from last season to make room for the new stuff,  I bought that set for ten bucks,  another 5x7 tarp for five dollars,  and some odds and ends fishing stuff.
  I was hoping to pick up a decent 2-man tent but there were none left,  anyhow,  the cook set looks good and that's about all I can say for it,  it's coated not hard anodised so it will scratch and chip,  all it is is a few small nesting pots,  you can boil three cups of water,  two cups, or one cup,  you can't bake in them or even fry eggs, any liquid does ok,  I tried heating beans and then Dinty Moore Beef Stew,  I did it over coals on a folding grill and I had to keep moving the pot away from the heat or the food would stick and burn,  they are too thin,  oh, and forget the nonstick look,  it's not and it does,  stick.
 I've developed a bias for aluminum and titanium camp cookware,  yes it's light,  yes it boils water ok,  for anything else, stick with stainless steel or cast iron.
 Other than those,  I have had decent luck with Blue Enamel camping cookware.

One pot that I do have for about the same money that is working out great for me is a MSR medium size Seagull stainless steel pot,  it comes with a folding handle on the pot that locks the cover down,  the cover is fairly flat and makes a nice size frying pan when used with a two dollar fish spreader,  which can also be used as a bail with most stainless water bottles,  the pot is under $20.00,  I got mine at Cabella's for $16.00.

I have a small MSR pot with a lid and handle that latches over the top to hold the lid in place. Stainless steel, works great on my alcohol burners or tucked into some coals next to a fire. It's got a little patina on it from the fires but it has been a reliable, good design if a bit heavy. I think the difference is the shape. Wide and relatively shallow beats deep and narrow for even heating when your heat source is at the bottom.

I'll bet the coleman pots would work better if you rigged a way to suspend them over a fire so the sides received a lot of heat along with the bottom, rather than concentrating the heat on the bottom with an alcohol burner. But you shouldn't have to jump through hoops. And if it's going to stick, you're better off having to clean stainless than aluminum.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
That was a well done review Angerland, thanks... :cheers:

Appreciate your additional pics and info as well diogenes...
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »
Diogenes! Awesome follow up man! THose pics you added are great. I will have to look aroud for a good deal on those 16oz cups and think about adding that to the kit as well.

Anyone else have some pics of these sets?

Also I appreciate the kind words for the review. It was my first real go at one for my blog. I'm not the wordsmith or fulltime blogger some folks are, it's very much a pass time for me right now but I hope to expand it more and more.

Thank you!

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 03:10:37 AM »
I had a good, hard look at one of these sets at the hardware store this afternoon, but have decided against grabbing one.

My impressions are:

Great build quality
Light weight
Awesome design
I like the plastic accessory cups
Compact and works as a tucker tin (food/brew storage space)
Affordable - even at Australian retail price of A$30.00 (About US$35.00)

I just can't see a place for it in my outfits - too many canteen cups, billycans, quartpots, jetboils, etc.

For those who can find a use for one, I have no doubt whatsoever that the Stanley kit will serve you well.

Thanks again for the heads up on these ones guys, I wouldn't have known about them otherwise.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »
like it till I seen the cups with plastic but then you could leave them home I still have my eyes on them but not sold yet

Offline Yankee

• Whetstone +
  • I love this forum
    • Survivalist Base Camp
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »
I picked one up myself a few months ago.

Loved it & gave it to an instructor who I appreciated and thought it'd be perfect for his set.
Going to get two more of them. I like them. They are essentially small pots or huge cups
depending on how you use them. I was about to get rid of my Guyot Backpacker because
of it's tapered design and it's loose nesting in the GSI cup I keep it in. When I saw the
Stanley set and it's tapered design, it looked dang near perfect for my Guyot. So, I got
it and it was a nice fit. I also modified the lid tab and replaced it with a wire holder.

www.SurvivalistBaseCamp.com
"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 10:37:12 PM »
Yankee, is that a 32 oz. bottle?

Offline Yankee

• Whetstone +
  • I love this forum
    • Survivalist Base Camp
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 11:04:08 PM »
Yankee, is that a 32 oz. bottle?

Yes sir it is. :)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:27 AM »
Good stuff! I think if you had that metal Nalgene, the stanley and the guyout cup that would make for a pretty nice solo kit.  I also like that pot hook you made, any chance you took pics of the process and are willing to share?

Offline Yankee

• Whetstone +
  • I love this forum
    • Survivalist Base Camp
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 08:04:30 AM »
Good stuff! I think if you had that metal Nalgene, the stanley and the guyout cup that would make for a pretty nice solo kit.  I also like that pot hook you made, any chance you took pics of the process and are willing to share?

Thank you very much for the kind words. :)

I didn't take any pics. I get these ideas that pop into my head and just get to tinkerin' on them and POOF!
Something appears! LOL But I basically just looked at how the lid tab landed on the lid and started out like that,
then thought that it would be wise to give myself a little more room in order to slip anything in the holder to lift
up the lid and kind of just worked off of that with my needlenose pliers. I have a background in metalworking so
it just is 2nd nature to me.

The next mod on it will be to drill two small holes in the top of the cup to use as slots for a fish mouth spreader as a bail.

It's not in the pictures, but the set-up is the Nalgene/Guyot Bottle, the Stanley Pot and a GSI Cup all nesting within each
other. That and a USGI Spoon. If I remember correctly, I got them all cheap (bottle $23., pot $15., cup $8., spoon $1.).

:)