Author Topic: Gerber Folding Saw Warranty Service  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
Gerber Folding Saw Warranty Service
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »
My brand new saw blade exploded today. I was cutting through some tinder fungus and about a dozen strokes in the blade shattered in several places. It was definitely a defect and not something in the fungus since I was able to baton through it easily without damaging my knife blade.

Now I've owned this saw for a couple of years and have used it quite a bit, and it's worked very well. But in the fall I bent the original blade trying to cut a burl off a tree... that was entirely my fault and I knew better, but I still did it. Anyway, I ordered a replacement blade, and obviously they aren't made as well as the used to be. The original blade had the Gerber logo and said "Stainless steel" and "made in the USA" (or something to that effect) on it...but the new one only had the Gerber logo. The new one didn't feel the same as the original...I can't describe it, it just felt flimsier.

I'm going to send some pics to Gerber to see what they say, and I'll pass on what I hear in an update to this post.

Edit: I posted Gerber's speedy warranty response below.

Here are some pics:

And here is the fungus (great chaga score!!!):
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:48:17 PM by Gurthy »

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
Re: My Saw Blade Shattered!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
well that sucks... i have that same exact saw, and i was hesitant to order replacement blades for that very reason.. ill wait for the outcome before i change saws, but gerber CS is usually spot on. id almost bet money you get it replaced for free :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Zeus

• Administrator
  • Whetstone +
  • Forging Knives on Olympus
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:31:58 PM »
Wow talk about a catastrophic failure. Looks like maybe it didn't get tempered.

I have a similar saw from fiskars that I got on clearance at walmart that seems to work really well. Last time I went on an overnight a friend and I took turns with it and it only took about a minute to saw through a 6-7" diameter downed (well seasoned) pine tree. I was truly surprised at the sheer size of logs those little saws can tackle.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:49:29 PM »
That isn't pretty, I guess you're going to get a new one under warranty..or you're fixing to buy yourself a new saw. That does suck. Was it real cold?

That big fungus is cool!
Axes Rock!

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »
No, not particularly cold... mid 30s...I've used the original blade in colder temps without issue.

Gerber has a decent warranty so I expect a new blade (or saw), but I'm just bummed because up until I got this new blade the saw served me well. I have a few other older Gerber items (flashlights, a Prodigy knife, and a hand axe) that have served me well, but I'm afraid that the quality may be slipping on their newer stuff.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
Re: Gerber Folding Saw Warranty Service
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
As I expected Gerber's customer service is top notch. I received a reply from Gerber within 24 hours as follows:

Thank you for contacting Gerber Blades.  Unfortunately, the saw blades are not covered under any warranty.  However, I've processed a complimentary blade to be sent to your attention right away.  Please allow adequate freight time for delivery to your post.

Sincerely,

Dxxxx Bxxxxx
Customer Service Supervisor
Gerber Legendary Blades
Fiskars Outdoor - Americas

I'm glad they're being stand up. I have quite a few Gerber products and they've all treated me well so far.

I'll update this thread again after I get a chance to use the replacement blade  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:49:30 PM by Gurthy »

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
Glad to hear they're taking care of getting you a replacement blade.  Saw blades are probably a lot like drill bits...the warranty stops at the door.  Let us know how the new one works out.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:09:45 AM »
thats awesome that they are taking care of it Gurthy. i knew they would :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:37 AM »
Kudos to Gerber and their Customer Relations, and Glad they stood by their Product! 8)
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3