Author Topic: M65 Field Jacket Weather Proofing Question  (Read 5009 times)

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
M65 Field Jacket Weather Proofing Question
« on: May 24, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »
Just scored a true blue M65 in OD. Been looking forever and found one at my late great uncles that fit like a glove.  Has anyone ever tried water proofing one of these?  What did you use?  How successful were you? 

Thanks!
OINK!

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
Re: M65 Field Jacket Weather Proofing Question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
HUGE SCORE!!

If I was inclined to waterproof an M65 I would use scotch guard, but I'd test it first in an inconspicuous spot.

I wouldn't advise waxing or oil treating it only because you have a rare and very difficult to replace heirloom and in my opinion you should preserve the garment in as close to as is condition as possible.   
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
Thanks!  Knew they were hard to find.  Didnt know they were rare.  May just 86 the idea altogether!  Dig the coat for sure! 
OINK!

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
Scotchguard is the way to go. It'll never be a wet weather coat since it's designed for cold/dry, but It's an effective shower-resistant and windproof outer shell.

The sateen outer layer beads water when they are new just like scotchguarding does so Scotchguard spray won't hurt the fabric.

Next time you go looking for an original M65, visit http://www.vintagetrends.com/military/thumbnails.asp?MC=Military+Vintage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets%2FCoats&ST=M-65 prices are stupid for large sizes, but for Med/R and Lge/R they aren't too bad.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
This is suppose to be good stuff...

http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=250&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

I've used the Goretex Nikwax and it works great. They sell products for just about anything you might want to waterproof.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 07:31:15 AM »
Scotchguard is the way to go. It'll never be a wet weather coat since it's designed for cold/dry, but It's an effective shower-resistant and windproof outer shell.

The sateen outer layer beads water when they are new just like scotchguarding does so Scotchguard spray won't hurt the fabric.

Next time you go looking for an original M65, visit http://www.vintagetrends.com/military/thumbnails.asp?MC=Military+Vintage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets%2FCoats&ST=M-65 prices are stupid for large sizes, but for Med/R and Lge/R they aren't too bad.

Wow, at those prices I have thrown away a freaking fortune in surplus gear I guess.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »

Wow, at those prices I have thrown away a freaking fortune in surplus gear I guess.

Check out the prices on the "Vintage" bib overalls......I'm going to retire tomorrow, :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX