Author Topic: Do we have the...  (Read 2523 times)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
Do we have the...
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
Not really a test as much as a question, do we have the ability to subscribe to threads? I see we have a notification feature but it not really the same, subscribing was an easy way to keep track of your favourite threads, however if the board software doesn't have that feature no probs.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Do we have the...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »
Not really a test as much as a question, do we have the ability to subscribe to threads? I see we have a notification feature but it not really the same, subscribing was an easy way to keep track of your favourite threads, however if the board software doesn't have that feature no probs.

The notification link will cause the system to send you an email whenever there is new activity in that individual thread. From the home page, you can click "Show new replies to your posts" to bring up a page with all the threads you've participated in. It's an "auto subscribe" feature for threads you've participated in. I will look for a subscriptions mod to the software.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:19:02 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply P-dub

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply P-dub
You can also ask to be notified (subscribed) to entire sub-forums. Any NEW topics will also generate a notice in your email.

Instead of your email notice saying "Reply..." it will say "New Topic in...."
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »
Ok, I did a cursory search for "subscribe, subscriptions, notify and notifications" on the SMF mod site and drew a blank. Looks like the "Show new replies to your posts" and the "unread posts since last visit" are the only options outside of email notifications for now. If they come up with a mod, or if I manage to find one I'll install it and see how it goes.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
If I'm understanding, the "notify" button at the top of each thread does what you're asking.
When you go to Profile at the top of any page, and then go down under Modify Profile to Notifications, it will list all the threads for which you chose to be notified of new posts. You can edit this list, and choose how to be notified (via email). It will also show which of your "subscribed" threads have new messages since your last visit.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »
Thanks guys, OP what I was hoping for is more of a favourites type of way to mark Threads I really liked, that way I could easily remember and locate if I wanted to go back and check something, this way it would'nt rely on any new posts generating a notify type of reminder.

Because I am not very familiar with this Boards forum software I thought I'd ask first in case it was just something I was overlooking.

edit: I could probably just use the send this topic button and send the thread link to my own email then make a folder in my email account for any favourite B&BC threads.... there is always a work around...lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:13:27 PM by zammer »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »
You can mark a thread, "unread" after reading it so that it continues to appear as such.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »

edit: I could probably just use the send this topic button and send the thread link to my own email then make a folder in my email account for any favourite B&BC threads.... there is always a work around...lol
EXCELLENT IDEA! I may do that with a few myself.