Author Topic: Favorite leather dressing.  (Read 1457 times)

Offline AnthonyP

• Whetstone +
Favorite leather dressing.
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »
What is your favorite dressing for pack straps, sheathes, etc. ?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Favorite leather dressing.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:03:52 PM »
SnoSeal
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:46:14 PM »
I use Urad (also known as Leather Mate).  It works great.  It cleans, moisturizes, protects, and shines.  At least that's what they claim. LOL.  I was hooked on this stuff when I was at a gun show in Costa Mesa, CA about 12-13 years ago.  There was a guy with a setup right inside the door to the main building with a stack of plastic jars and he was talking fast and buffing some dude's leather tennis shoes.  The one that he was buffing was all nice and white and spiffy looking, and the other shoe was worn and dirty.  I was intrigued, so I stepped up after the guy thanked the vendor and threw him a twenty and walked off with his clean, shiny shoes.

I was wearing my grubby Doc Marten's work boots and they needed some help.  As he gets to buffing on my boot, he tells me he's been selling the stuff for years and he goes to a bunch of the big motorcycle rallies and such.  It works great for boots, tank covers, saddle bags, etc.  He did both boots in no time.  The stories an techno-babble took most of the time.  It's applied with a piece of upholstery foam in a quick, sweeping motion, using just a tiny smear of the product at a time.  My boots looked amazing compared to how they looked when I walked in.  I immediately thanked him, threw a twenty at him, and walked away with my jar.  LOL.

A 7 oz. jar will last for a long time, as you only use a little bit at a time.  I will say that I will usually clean really dingy leather with some saddle soap and let dry before applying the Urad.  It doesn't water proof but it will shed a little mist and such.  I use the neutral, but it comes in black, light brown, and dark brown as well.   Urad also makes a suede cleaner/conditioner called "Tenderly".  I haven't used it on anything fancy, but it works good on suede gloves, boots, and pouches.

Check ebay for good prices (under $20 shipped is a great price for 7 oz.)  I highly recommend Urad for shiny, smooth leather.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline Quinn

• Whetstone +
    • boneleather
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Obenauf's.  The heavy duty preservative.  Use it on all my leather goods.
virtue is nothing more than insufficient temptation

Offline Sudz

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:12:20 PM »

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Favorite leather dressing.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »
x2 for Obenauf's!
https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30

Yep... That's the one right there :thumbsup:

Made by a forest fire fighter for forest firefighters and anyone else that works in the woods 8)

That's THE boot dressing used 'around these parts'.
It's highly recommended by anyone that knows anything about forestry work out here.
It's just simple what most everyone uses.
Any cobbler or high end boot dealer  worth his salt will also recommend it!
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 06:26:38 PM »

I'm with wolfy on this one,  SnoSeal is the best,  used with a hair drier or heat gun on low the leather will soak up the dressing,  it preserves, lubricates, and replenishes the nutrients that the sun and wind rob from the leather,  and it's one of the few dressings that will protect against UV rays.
  I use it on all my leather sheaths,  and it not only protects the leather but is prevents my blades from rusting from dampness and humidity.
  For surface polishing and protection it's hard to beat Butchers paste wax.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.