Author Topic: "When I was your age..."  (Read 21535 times)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
Re: "When I was your age..."
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
When I was your age, we lived in a key caddy, floating on a log in the middle of the most godforsaken swamp you could ever imagine. We'd work 23 and a half hours a day as scullions at a town twenty miles away and have to walk home, only to be greeted by dear old Dad who'd whip us with the buckle end of his belt if we ever so happened to lose our six pence an hour wages. We ate mice and gruel and he locked us in the lowest cell and we thanked him for the grimy blankets we slept on, cause we knew it could always be worse!"

How's that? :D

PMZ
We used to fantasize about having that kind of luxury...   8)

I would have loved to fantasize, but we weren't allowed to use our imaginations except on Sundays, which only happened once a month back then.

But we were happy.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
LOL! Just found this thread. Learning a lot from it.

1. I didn't think Trekster was such a good BS'er
2. After trying to hide his age all this time, I now know Wdstan is older than Wolfy.
3. After reading some of these, I see "the good ol' days" actually included Television. We didn't get even a B/W TV until I was 8!

When I was yur age, we used to laugh at the idea that anyone would ever actually PAY to watch TV
Somebody mentioned computers. I paid $450 for a 1050 Kb floppy drive for my Atari. I wrote my own terminal emulation program to access a pay information site. Then I found the world of BBS, and when I was actually able to buy a PC, started my own.

As for the playing all day, and riding bikes everywhere, when I was 10 years old I was allowed to take the 10 foot rowboat with the 7.5 hp outboard across Possession Sound to an uninhabited island. It was 2 miles by water. If the weather came up and the sound got too rough to make it home, I spent the night...alone.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
When I was your age, we lived in a key caddy, floating on a log in the middle of the most godforsaken swamp you could ever imagine. We'd work 23 and a half hours a day as scullions at a town twenty miles away and have to walk home, only to be greeted by dear old Dad who'd whip us with the buckle end of his belt if we ever so happened to lose our six pence an hour wages. We ate mice and gruel and he locked us in the lowest cell and we thanked him for the grimy blankets we slept on, cause we knew it could always be worse!"

How's that? :D

PMZ

Sounds like you were raised somewhere in Britian.   :-\
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:37 PM »
I went to a one-room schoolhouse.  Honestly.  Then we moved to town and we lived in a real house, not a cabin Dad built.

In high school, one of my teachers needed a knife.  He asked if anyone had one.  just about every guy and half the girls had one.

Kid I knew brought his .30-06 in for an English oral report on how to bore-sight a rifle.  Hunting season, about every pickup in the parking lot had a rifle in the back window and you knew who got their deer by the blood on the tailgate.

I got pulled over for speeding.  Highway patrol saw a pipe under the back seat.  Yessir, that is what it looks like.  We've been out blasting stumps.  No sir, you gotta be 18 to buy dynamite.  Only gotta be 16 to buy pipe and black powder.
He sent us on our way and told us to slow down.

Oh yeah...and cops would look you in the eye when you got pulled over, not hide behind you and to the side of your car.

I do not jest.  What was "kid stuff" back then, I can't even tell stories about now.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 01:16:42 AM »
Fortunately my kids will be able to tell similar "when I was your age" stories to their kids.
One of my sons built a fixed blade hunting knife in high school metal shop.
My other son's buddy gave him one of the two tactical 'hawks he made in shop this year.
Where else but in Montana?! 
 :banana:
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
"When I was your age..."
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »
I went to a one-room schoolhouse.  Honestly.  Then we moved to town and we lived in a real house, not a cabin Dad built.

In high school, one of my teachers needed a knife.  He asked if anyone had one.  just about every guy and half the girls had one.

Kid I knew brought his .30-06 in for an English oral report on how to bore-sight a rifle.  Hunting season, about every pickup in the parking lot had a rifle in the back window and you knew who got their deer by the blood on the tailgate.

I got pulled over for speeding.  Highway patrol saw a pipe under the back seat.  Yessir, that is what it looks like.  We've been out blasting stumps.  No sir, you gotta be 18 to buy dynamite.  Only gotta be 16 to buy pipe and black powder.
He sent us on our way and told us to slow down.

Oh yeah...and cops would look you in the eye when you got pulled over, not hide behind you and to the side of your car.

I do not jest.  What was "kid stuff" back then, I can't even tell stories about now.

That kinda stuff was the same where I grew up.
Heck, and I'm not but 41!
It's so very sad today the way things are :(

I know I've told this before, but some may have not seen it...
The rural HS that I went to had and STILL has a shooting range 8)
It's mainly for the JROTC kids.
It's in the woods right behind the football field. My mom told me that they recently renovated it.
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
I wish it were possible to go back to those small schools again.   I think there'd be a lot less troubled kids in our world. 

I graduated with 21 kids.   And yes.. show and tell or having the assignment of doing a report would have the guys bringing in guns and crossbows.    Now I wish I would have been paying attention.   :)  The Teacher we had then for those reports turned out to be our states Representative.   

The only thing I can remember about being the age of three is my potty chair had three little bears on it.  Ha ha ha...   dang that was a long time ago.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
Referring back to a previous post.....

I blame 90% of today's social ills, and disrespectful youth on Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, and Public Utilities. For good measure, the Gillette company shares the blame.
Why?
Public Utilities lead to the demise of the family woodshed.
The 'safety razor' lead to the demise of the razor strop.
It's pretty hard to discipline your kid behind a power pole with a Bic Disposable razor.
 ??? :-\

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
"When I was your age..."
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »
Referring back to a previous post.....

I blame 90% of today's social ills, and disrespectful youth on Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, and Public Utilities. For good measure, the Gillette company shares the blame.
Why?
Public Utilities lead to the demise of the family woodshed.
The 'safety razor' lead to the demise of the razor strop.
It's pretty hard to discipline your kid behind a power pole with a Bic Disposable razor.
 ??? :-

Ha... I call BS on that one OP!

Ya ever heard of a belt...

Or a 'hickory switch' ???

I/we got the s&$t beat out of us with those things on a regular bases.
It's just that the mom or mamaw didn't wear a belt :P

We even had to cut our own hickory sticks so they could be used to beat on us with. If they weren't good and strong enough we had to get a better one.

Cut stick/switch, pull britches down, bend over and don't cry or you get more!!!
That was just my Mamaw :eek:

We also got the crap beat out of us by our teachers.
I kinda thought of it as a 'badge of honor' to get lots of paddling's my ALL teachers. To us it just meant that you weren't a wimp 8)
And believe me, some would lift you off the floor and leave bruises!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:54:08 AM by Bearhunter »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
Okay, Gillette's off the hook.
I only mentioned the razor strop because I still have the one my Grandfather used on my mom and her siblings.  ???

The ol' "Board of Education" was used liberally in my grade school. That is, until our gym/history teacher turned out to be a sadist who used the paddle on kids he just didn't like. He ended up with assault charges, fired, and our school rules changed. After that we had to go to the Principle's office for our 'swats'.  It was POS like that teacher that got the school discipline rules changed everywhere.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
"When I was your age..."
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »
Speaking of leather strops...

My 'Granny' (great grandmother) DID keep a strop on the kitchen door frame.
She used it for knives and us grandkids if we 'needed' it.

Speaking of paddling's...

They are still used in the county schools where I went to school. Now it has to be with parental consent though.
The parents have to sign a form saying that their kids can be paddled.

It wasn't like that when I grew up... It was a 'free for all' :P
But knowing where I grew up, I'm sure most parents give permission!
Heck, if our parents found out about us getting paddled in school, that generally meant that we got it again when we got home :pissed:

I tell ya, some of those 'old lady teachers' were mean!
I don't really think that they were mean, it's just that they had spent decades dealing with us little smart aleck country boys and knew how to 'speak our language' if ya know what I mean ;)

Sending us to the corner just didn't work :lol: :P

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »
I only remember getting a spanking once...   

I was mad at our neighbor for pinching me (which I know now should have gotten him in trouble more then I did)  so I took a tennis racket and swung at all his tulips in his tulip bed. OH..about 100 flowers.  I massacred them!!    My dad to hold face had to swat my behind with neighbor watching...  **sigh**   I got extra ice cream after supper so I know dad was more upset than I was.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »
Okay, since we got on the discipline subject, there is one with which I've never agreed. The whole "Just wait until your father gets home! You're gonna get it!"

Wait a minnit!  Mom's got 2-3 rugrats screaming half the day, housework to do, and dinner to prepare. One of the little gomers crosses the line and Momma comes unraveled.

So Dad walks into the house after a loooong day at his work (good day, or bad, doesn't matter), and gets told his first duty is to beat the crap out of the offending child. Now never mind that the horrendous crime may have been committed that morning, 6-7 hours ago, and that a kid has the attention span of a puppy. They can't even remember what they did wrong half the time. It's still up to him to muster up the emotion felt by the mother to dole out punishment.

Yeah, he's been at work all day, wrestling corporate alligators, thinking about nothing more than finally coming home to his loving family and a quiet dinner. Now, he's gonna be on momma's crap list if he doesn't walk in the door and smack the kid.

Never made a lick o' sense to me.....

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
"When I was your age..."
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:01 PM »
Lol OP :D

My mom just took care of it herself... She knew how to use a belt and a hickory stick :P

Actually, when we were younger, my Mamaw (moms mom) usually did it because she kept us while mom worked.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
Yeah, Mom was no stranger to doling out the corporal punishment in my youth! :P.    I never remember my Dad laying a hand on us at all, but Mom kept a bamboo carnival cane that had split and separated into a cato'nine-tails.   It hung on a pair of coat hooks behind the kitchen door where she had ready access to it when she felt the situation was escalating beyond what she felt was acceptable behavior!    As I recall, our behavior warranted its use at least several times a week, but we only got whacked with it enough to keep us toeing the line. O:-) O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
LOL..   man, you guys musta been horrible brats...  sheesh....   

My mom was an ear puller..     and thats all I gotta say about that.

I'm glad my dad wasnt a belter...  his pants woulda fallen down and I'da busted out laughin.... 

Back to our 'that age' topics... anyone remember that horrible oil stuff we had to take if we didnt feel good?  Or being slathered in Vicks for a cough?   

WW

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
"When I was your age..."
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »
Yes that was Castor oil.

And I also remember the Vicks Rub ;)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
"When I was your age..."
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »
We weren't bad kids WW...

Just a little 'misunderstood' ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »

Back to our 'that age' topics... anyone remember that horrible oil stuff we had to take if we didnt feel good?  Or being slathered in Vicks for a cough?   

WW

Yes that was Castor oil.

And I also remember the Vicks Rub ;)

Vick's Vapo Rub for a stuffy nose, Castor Oil to cure you, and Cod Liver Oil to keep you cured.
Funny....now the big push is for Omega Oils in pill form, cereal, and every other conceivable medium.
Cod Liver Oil had/has it all, and our Grandparents knew it very well. 

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
Oh my Gawd.. I would go puke behind the garage so the parents wouldnt know I was sickly..   just the thought of that crap makes me gag all over again.    And then 7-up came into our household... it was treated like a medicine for upset tummy's.  MUCH better.  :) 

I would get horrible allergies when visiting grandparents..and have this tickle that would make me cough all night.   Gramps got fed up with it and told me to get up and meet him in the kitchen.  He made a HUGE ball of real butter and rolled it in sugar.   Told me to put it in my mouth and let it dissolve.   Gosh it was awful..but by golly it worked.  :)     HE drank the hot toddy...   LOL 

WW.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
"When I was your age..."
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:20 PM »
Oh yes... 'The Hot Toddy'.

I'm sure it was just for 'medicinal purposes only' :P

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »
Well of course.. a sleep aid I'm sure.  :)

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »
I had classic flu symptoms once over at my girlfriend's house. Her older brother mixed up a 10 oz glass of Scotch, hot water and honey, and made me drink the whole thing. I don't remember how I got into bed, but my fever broke and I felt like new in the morning.  :P

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
"When I was your age..."
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2013, 11:52:25 PM »
I had classic flu symptoms once over at my girlfriend's house. Her older brother mixed up a 10 oz glass of Scotch, hot water and honey, and made me drink the whole thing. I don't remember how I got into bed, but my fever broke and I felt like new in the morning.  :P

"and MADE me drink the whole thing"

Yeah I bet he "MADE" you ;D

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:55 PM »

"and MADE me drink the whole thing"

Yeah I bet he "MADE" you ;D

Yeah, pretty much! At that time in my life Scotch was pretty close to kerosene, IMO. I gagged about 4 times trying to get it down.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
:D
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
I've become a better BSer after the last three years on the job :D

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Creb

• Mill File+
  • A Stones Throw from Big Brutus
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »
After unsuccessfully attempting a bicycle ramp jump that ol' Evil would be proud of, while not wearing anything except cutoffs, and sneakers, mom would get out the little bottle of liquid fire and treat the wounds. I know it was liquid fire, cause it would stain you red. Tincture of Merthiolate, I think it was.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2013, 01:34:37 PM »
After unsuccessfully attempting a bicycle ramp jump that ol' Evil would be proud of, while not wearing anything except cutoffs, and sneakers, mom would get out the little bottle of liquid fire and treat the wounds. I know it was liquid fire, cause it would stain you red. Tincture of Merthiolate, I think it was.

I remember merthiolate, and mercurochrome. Stung like crazy from the alcohol in it. Bactine was the gentle stuff. They still make Bactine, and I just bought a bottle at Walmart last week for my daughter, who is skinning her knees now that it's shorts weather. The smell brings back memories.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
...Tincture of Merthiolate, I think it was.

Merthiolate was for wimps!  :lol: Less painful than mercurochrome. You're lucky she didn't use straight iodine!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »
...Tincture of Merthiolate, I think it was.

Merthiolate was for wimps!  :lol: Less painful than mercurochrome. You're lucky she didn't use straight iodine!

That's what the folks slathered on us, tincture of iodine! :P.   The dang stuff worked, though.....stings for a minute, but prevents infection and takes away the soreness that would come the next day without it.   Next came a gob of what Dad & Grampa used on the horses for galling from horse collars and cuts, then a BandAid on top, which usually stayed on for about 15 minutes.   We called it "horse-salve", but the real product is still around......Watkins Petro-Carbo salve.  Good stuff! 8)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »
..   We called it "horse-salve", but the real product is still around......Watkins Petro-Carbo salve.  Good stuff! 8)

That's my wife's go-to salve for bites and burns. We have a tin in each medicine cabinet.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
"When I was your age..."
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
Us kids got the iodine treatment too :)

We also got the 'tobacco treatment' for bee stings.
When we would get stung dad or one of us would chew some tobacco and then place it on the sting.
It actually worked ;)

Most of us chewed when we were kids so we generally had some around.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
I still use iodine (lol!)

PMZ

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »
I still use iodine (lol!)

PMZ

So do I! 8)