Author Topic: White Flies  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
White Flies
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »
Starting a couple years ago, I've been plagued with White Flies. I've done the research, tried a variety of chemicals (organic and non-organic), put up yellow traps, and even released Lady Bugs. Nada...zip...nothin g seems to eradicate them. 

I've been over-wintering a rosemary plant in a 5 gallon pot. It's been thriving. Suddenly an infestation of white flies broke out! Rosemary is a white fly magnet! Since I have many new starter plants indoors, I had to do something short of throwing the rosemary out in freezing temperatures. The first thing I did was cover the plant with a kitchen garbage bag to contain the flies. I tied it off around the pot to keep them from escaping, and sat back to wring my hands in dismay.

A couple days ago I found a suggestion that actually seems to work!!! I found it in of all places Jerry Baker's Super Market Gardens book. It's filled with how to use readily available stuff from the grocery store to improve your gardening.

So, following his suggestion, and since I already had a bag tied over the plant, I pulled up one edge and exhaled an entire cigarette into the confined space. There was a fog of cigarette smoke inside the bag, which I tied off again.  24 hours later I peeked. There is not ONE fly moving anywhere!  I'm familiar with making a "tea" out of tobacco, and using the nicotine filled liquid as a pest spray, but this smoke idea was new to me. I don't like to use the "tea" on edibles, but the smoke shouldn't contaminate them as badly.

Just thought I'd pass this along, FWIW and YMMV.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: White Flies
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »
  You know your Rosemary plant will now need you to do this every morning, evening and after every meal ...dont you?  :) :) :)

I cant say I've ever had to deal with white flies.    It sounds like a nasty problem to get rid of....

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
  You know your Rosemary plant will now need you to do this every morning, evening and after every meal ...dont you?  :) :) :)

WW.
Long as I can pass on the 'after sex' part. It's on it's own there......  :P

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »
LOL...    I.. umm... backspaced that one out..  not brave enough.... 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Sweeper

• Mill File
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
Glad you have something thats working,OP. Knew you have been having trouble with them white flies. How are you going to fill your greenhouse with baccy smoke?
No matter where you go,there you are!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
Glad you have something thats working,OP. Knew you have been having trouble with them white flies. How are you going to fill your greenhouse with baccy smoke?
LOL! Too bad I never got those Nicotiana Rustica plants. I could just torch them in place. The file would die happy. Hahaha!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »
This is just a thought..but what about those smoker things beekeepers use?  Can you walk around in your greenhouse with thing and smoke around the plants?    Or does it have to be tobbacco smoke?      Mmm..maybe buy some pipe tobacco and load that smoker thing up?  :)

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
Be careful with tobacco around your tomato plants OP!  I can't remember for certain, but I believe it can cause fusarium wilt :o
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
Ooh.. thats right.. I did forget about the tomato plants ...    nix that idea!!
Strawberry plants too I think......?
WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:52:01 PM »
Be careful with tobacco around your tomato plants OP!  I can't remember for certain, but I believe it can cause fusarium wilt :o
Yep! Tobacco virus. We don't ever smoke in our greenhouse.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
Be sure to wash your hands after smoking, too.  Even carrying tobacco residuals on you hands to tomatoes can infect them.  Don't ask me how I know this........just know that I am an expert 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sweeper

• Mill File
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
LOL! Too bad I never got those Nicotiana Rustica plants. I could just torch them in place. The file would die happy. Hahaha!

Hey! I still got them seeds! Been in the freezer,should be ready to rock if you still want some.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 09:56:12 PM »

Hey! I still got them seeds! Been in the freezer,should be ready to rock if you still want some.

We'll work something out, now that I have my 365 room.

Offline Sweeper

• Mill File
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 05:56:22 AM »

We'll work something out, now that I have my 365 room.

Sounds good, give me a shout when you are ready 8)