Author Topic: Pot holder for Trangia Stove  (Read 15885 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Pot holder for Trangia Stove
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:03:54 AM »
Ok, Guys,  if you've made a homemade pot stand for your Trangia or pop can stoves , would you post them up here?

Please?   I need some ideas.   I've failed at the two I've tried to make.

1.  A two piece coat hanger bent in a C shape with the ground ends bent inwards to not sink into the ground. A copper tube for holding the two wires together so the stand will fold up.  The coat hanger gets too hot where the flames contact the wire under the pot.   It didn't melt, but got so soft the pot started to lean.

2.  I cut a section out of a spaghetti can at about an inch taller then the Trangia flame level, and made deep V cuts to let air in at the Trangia's flame level.   The top points of the V where they were supposed to hold up the pot also got way too hot and started to curl inwards.   

I'm at a loss at what else I can try.   

Side note:  I have been using the Coyote Grill at ground level over the burner and that works nicely.  But if I wanted to use my burner on a table or hard surface the grill with its press in stakes becomes useless. 

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Pot holder for Trangia Stove
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
And of course I had to keep 'window shopping' in the first link.. thanks for that link.   Does anyone know if the Trangia will fit into this ? 

http://www.sheepleg.com/Coghlan_s_Folding_Stove_p/folding-stove.htm

I like the foldability and where other fuels can be used ? 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Creb

• Mill File+
  • A Stones Throw from Big Brutus
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
Here is an idea to consider, don't make a stand for your stove, make a stand for your pot. Here is the combination pot stand/ windscreen I made for my Coleman pot set. It is made from some .060 aluminum I had laying around and it is useable with several types of stoves or fuel. The pot rods are 1/8" stainless welding rods and take a great amount of heat to weaken.

Pot stand with the Trangia

Pot stand with a small wick stove

Close up of the stand

With this stand, I can use a variety of stoves and even an Esbit or Trioxane tab on a rock. It is made to fit around the pot for travel, and you don't have to have a separate windscreen. Hope this gives you some other options to think about.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 06:26:32 PM »
Creb !!   Yes it did give me a new route of thought.  Thank you so much for posting your pictures! 

WW.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 06:50:23 PM »
Hardware cloth works real good as a pot stand and is super light weight.  However it does not block any wind so you will need a windscreen as well.  I use aluminum flashing.  It is also very light and easy to cut with scissors (I use the $2 scissors from harbor freight.)  Look for my Caldara Cone Clone video coming soon on what you can do with flashing.   

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »
And of course I had to keep 'window shopping' in the first link.. thanks for that link.   Does anyone know if the Trangia will fit into this ? 

http://www.sheepleg.com/Coghlan_s_Folding_Stove_p/folding-stove.htm

I like the foldability and where other fuels can be used ? 

WW.

Sorry for the window shopping detour WW!

Your Trangia should work with that Coghlan stove, or you might look at this one from Sterno http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterno-Portable-Folding-Stove/20434298

You can also convert the Sterno to burn twigs, so that would give you three fuel sources- Trangia, Sterno (canned gel fuel) and twigs/pinecones, etc.

If I remember correctly, you can open the Sterno stove box and unfold it to get a better idea of the size.  The only drawback to the Sterno stove is the open area, which is fairly large compared to the Coghlan, on windy days.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 08:19:03 PM »
Dano.. is that the fuel (sterno) that most say wont get water to a boil?    I'm just curious since I see there's a kit that's that stove and sterno cans. 

I like that stove too......

Is there a 12 step program for stove addiction?    :-\

WW.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
I'm using Esbit tablets now.  Give me a day or two for more details. 

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 05:25:52 AM »
Dano.. is that the fuel (sterno) that most say wont get water to a boil?    I'm just curious since I see there's a kit that's that stove and sterno cans. 

I like that stove too......

Is there a 12 step program for stove addiction?    :-\

WW.

To answer your question, yes it will boil water, but it takes longer.

I usually try to watch the videos by Hiram Cook on stove and fuel combinations because he does such a great job IMO.  In his test, the Sterno stove and fuel combo boiled 2 cups of water in just under 18 minutes, using a half ounce of fuel.  That's a long time in comparison to many others.

I've always considered Sterno fuel to be more of a warming/slow cooking/reheating type of fuel because it doesn't heat so fast to burn your food, but I think most people run out of patience waiting 18 minutes to boil water and probably give up too soon.

Sterno works well as a firestarter... 

Hiram's test video of the Trangia and Sterno stove boiled 2 cups of water in under 7 minutes JFYI.

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 12:37:59 PM »
Made from a beef stew can....

My trangia also works well with my nimblewill stove....
http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

The folding sterno stoves have worked for me as well. I can get 2 cups of water to a boil ranging from 7-15 minutes with sterno, fancyHeat, ect. Faster with the trangia.  I use them mainly for making hot beverages or hot water for instant type meals. I just make sure to use a lid. I'm not in a big hurry when it comes to heating water when I'm out. Gives me time to do other camp chores or just enjoy sitting in nature.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:43:51 PM by Nature Boy »
Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Pot holder for Trangia Stove
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »
That's pretty dang cool NB :thumbsup:
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
I think that's where I went wrong with my can.  I cut the top to points instead of leaving space before the next cut downwards.  When hot those points started to bend or cave in.

This stove does fit nicely down in six footers stove too.  :)

Thank you for sharing your photo's guys..   I might give another can a try.

WW. 

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »

Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!