Author Topic: KEROSENE LANTERNS  (Read 18420 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
KEROSENE LANTERNS
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
The electricity went off here about a month ago and I dug out my old Dietz Air Pilot and lit it for a couple of hours, so I could see to get around in the house.  The globe was pretty fouled up inside and needed cleaning, so when a storm warning went up a couple of weeks ago, I decided to clean it up before the electricity went off again.  I took it down to my workbench and tipped it out for cleaning and for some unknown reason a hunk of it just crumbled out of the top as I was wiping it out.   Like the glass was just 'rotten' or something.......I dun'no. ???

I went to Lehmann Hardware to order a replacement globe, but they didn't stock it because the Air Pilot is the only one that takes that particular globe. >:(.    Then I went to W.T. Kirkman, found that they had the lantern and replacement globe in stock.....

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WKL&Product_Code=DHL8&Category_Code=DL

At the same time, I ordered a couple of spare wicks and began looking through their beautiful downloadable catalog.  I had toyed with the idea of ordering one of Kirkman's own USA-made lanterns some time before, but since I already had an order going in this time, I succumbed to temptation and ordered one of them.  Here's a picture of it.....

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WKL&Product_Code=WTK2&Category_Code=WKPL

It just came in the brown truck a couple of days ago and I am very impressed with its quality.....MUCH better quality of material and attention to detail than the old Chinese Dietz.  I filled it with K-1 kerosene and put it out on the deck, going full-tilt, to see how many hours of run-time I could get out of a tank of fuel and it's not empty yet, but so far, 20 hours. :)

Here's some lantern-freak's review of the Champion #2 from Kirkman that convinced me to order one.....

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34203&p=704408

I think he did a pretty good job of evaluating it and I agree with what he's written, so this lantern and Kirkman's service is A1 in my book and all are "WOLFY APPROVED" 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: KEROSENE LANTERNS
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »
The electricity went off here about a month ago and I dug out my old Dietz Air Pilot and lit it for a couple of hours, so I could see to get around in the house.  The globe was pretty fouled up inside and needed cleaning, so when a storm warning went up a couple of weeks ago, I decided to clean it up before the electricity went off again.  I took it down to my workbench and tipped it out for cleaning and for some unknown reason a hunk of it just crumbled out of the top as I was wiping it out.   Like the glass was just 'rotten' or something.......I dun'no. ???

I went to Lehmann Hardware to order a replacement globe, but they didn't stock it because the Air Pilot is the only one that takes that particular globe. >:(.    Then I went to W.T. Kirkman, found that they had the lantern and replacement globe in stock.....

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WKL&Product_Code=DHL8&Category_Code=DL

At the same time, I ordered a couple of spare wicks and began looking through their beautiful downloadable catalog.  I had toyed with the idea of ordering one of Kirkman's own USA-made lanterns some time before, but since I already had an order going in this time, I succumbed to temptation and ordered one of them.  Here's a picture of it.....

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WKL&Product_Code=WTK2&Category_Code=WKPL

It just came in the brown truck a couple of days ago and I am very impressed with its quality.....MUCH better quality of material and attention to detail than the old Chinese Dietz.  I filled it with K-1 kerosene and put it out on the deck, going full-tilt, to see how many hours of run-time I could get out of a tank of fuel and it's not empty yet, but so far, 20 hours. :)

Here's some lantern-freak's review of the Champion #2 from Kirkman that convinced me to order one.....

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34203&p=704408

I think he did a pretty good job of evaluating it and I agree with what he's written, so this lantern and Kirkman's service is A1 in my book and all are "WOLFY APPROVED" 8)

Great review Wolfy,  nice stuff.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:31:07 PM »
Thanks for the review and links! I have a couple of K mart lanterns but nothing that nice. If I'm in the market for another, I'll know where to look. :thumbsup:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing some of your experiences & how ya handled your situation.
 :D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »
Thanks for reminding me Craig...i used a Dietz for several years in my hooch, read many a field guide in its dim light.
i'm not sure what ever became of it, as its been many years now, i was driftin around in those days, so i reckon one of my brothers wound up with it  :(...anyhow i'm needing to locate a couple n i reckon that Champion#2 would work just fine!
thanks for the links and the reminder :)...Dave
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »
I love lanterns.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
Thanks for reminding me Craig...i used a Dietz for several years in my hooch, read many a field guide in its dim light.
i'm not sure what ever became of it, as its been many years now, i was driftin around in those days, so i reckon one of my brothers wound up with it  :(...anyhow i'm needing to locate a couple n i reckon that Champion#2 would work just fine!
thanks for the links and the reminder :)...Dave

They're considerably more expensive than the current Dietz models from China, but much more nicely made and with better materials.  When I picked it up by the bail, it seemed heavier empty, than the Dietz did with a full tank. ???    Made in the good ol' USA, like they USED TO BE!   As they say, quality only stings once! 8)

Crashdive,  we have the same weakness for lanterns, I guess. :shrug:   I've got some OLD ones that I've purchased at farm sales, too.   They used to go cheap, but even here, those days seem to be fleeting. :(

I don't have any 'hot blast' lanterns.....do you see much difference in performance between them and your newer 'cold blast' models? :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:07:48 PM by wolfy »

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
Good stuff, wolfy.   :thumbsup:  I even read that lantern freak's full review.  Man..........he's got it bad!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »
Good stuff, wolfy.   :thumbsup:  I even read that lantern freak's full review.  Man..........he's got it bad!

Yeah, what an idiot!  Glad we're not that way!  :rofl:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »
When we lost our power last weekend I lit up my oil lamps.  Mine are all glass and I gave a thought to what if we got a wind so bad it busted a window and something knocked over this lamp.  I'd have a fire to worry about I think.   Those lanterns you and Crash have shown are much more hardy to an accident like I described , right? 

And with tops over the chimney..are they hardier in winds if I should need to take it outside during a storm? 

I dont know much about those kind of lanterns but could see I should maybe invest in one of those instead of using the ones I have.

Oh..and one more question. I stocked up on the oil for the lamps I have.. can this same oil be used in that lantern?  Or is this two different animals?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 08:48:08 PM »
I've thought about grabbing a couple of those for the "just in case times", thanks for posting these!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »
When we lost our power last weekend I lit up my oil lamps.  Mine are all glass and I gave a thought to what if we got a wind so bad it busted a window and something knocked over this lamp.  I'd have a fire to worry about I think.   Those lanterns you and Crash have shown are much more hardy to an accident like I described , right? 

And with tops over the chimney..are they hardier in winds if I should need to take it outside during a storm? 

I dont know much about those kind of lanterns but could see I should maybe invest in one of those instead of using the ones I have.

Oh..and one more question. I stocked up on the oil for the lamps I have.. can this same oil be used in that lantern?  Or is this two different animals?

WW.

The lanterns, contrary to what happens in the old Westerns, are safe & will immediately go out when they are tipped over, WW. ;).    The 'lamp oil' that you have could be one of several different things, but whatever it is, it should be clear as water and not dyed a pretty color.  That just clogs the wicks, eventually, and keeps them from wicking the fuel up to the burner, efficiently.   Then you have to replace the wick more often.  Clear K-1 kerosene is the best thing to use in the lamps and lanterns.  Most lumberyards that sell kerosene heaters will have it available in 2 1/2 gallon plastic jugs, but some places have it in bulk for less money.....just make SURE that it's K-1 and water-clear.  It's the best for brightness, clean non-smoking flame, soot production, burner cleanliness, wick life, etc.  I burn it in our glass wick lamps that were my Gramma's and our newer & older Alladin mantle lamps, too.   GOOD stuff! :thumbsup:

There's lots of good lamp & lantern advice in that Kirkman link that I provided in my OP, too! O:-)

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
I keep a couple of Coleman lanterns around for power outages.  In a small room they also provide a bit of heat should you need it.  I have not owned one like Wolfy reviewed but might get one as they are a bit smaller.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
KEROSENE LANTERNS
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
Thanks for the review Wolfy :thumbsup:

Aladdin lamps are very nice too, but they're not very nice for field use though.

Lehman's sells a German made lantern similar to the Dietz, but I haven't used one.
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »
Thanks for the review Wolfy :thumbsup:

Aladdin lamps are very nice too, but they're not very nice for field use though.

Lehman's sells a German made lantern similar to the Dietz, but I haven't used one.
That would be the Feuerhand line of lanterns that you're referring to, BH......Kirkman's carry those, too. 8).   I didn't consider them because they are pretty small (1/2" wicks compared to the 7/8" wicks) on the big Kirkman & bigger Dietz models like the Air Pilot.   I can always turn the wick back for less light, but I could never make the flame on the German lantern as bright as the wider-wicked Champion #2!    They trade for 5 more frogskins than the Champion, too!  :shrug:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
KEROSENE LANTERNS
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:18 PM »
Yeah that's them. I couldn't think of their name and I was to lazy to look :P

I've got an old Dietz No2 'De-lite' that was my grandfathers.
He bought it after WW II and used it in his barn.
It's darn near still in perfect shape 8)
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
I love lanterns.

Nice collection!

That grinder looks familiar. :D  I like how you have room for the grinder, kiln, and vise (with quench plates) all in one spot like that. gives me hope I will be able to squeeze in more tools in a small space in the garage. :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
I keep a couple of Coleman lanterns around for power outages.  In a small room they also provide a bit of heat should you need it.  I have not owned one like Wolfy reviewed but might get one as they are a bit smaller.
I like my old Coleman, too, Stan, but it IS Summer and I just didn't want the added heat in the house.  Mysteriously, the air-conditioner quit working at the same time the lights went out! :shrug:  :P

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
Yeah that's them. I couldn't think of their name and I was to lazy to look :P

I've got an old Dietz No2 'De-lite' that was my grandfathers.
He bought it after WW II and used it in his barn.
It's darn near still in perfect shape 8)
They were a lot more 'substantial' in those days, weren't they, BH?   I've got a couple from that era, but I'm certain these newer Chinese Dietz models will be long gone before they reach that age. :(

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 03:06:58 PM »
PW - I had to sell the grinder......ran out of room.  Can't complain as I have two, but if I had the room I would still have it.

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »
I like my old Coleman, too, Stan, but it IS Summer and I just didn't want the added heat in the house.  Mysteriously, the air-conditioner quit working at the same time the lights went out! :shrug:  :P

I turned our AC on for the first time today and its nice.  I am laying in front of an air duct after spraying more thistles after lunch.  I just may lay here till supper.  I am going to get one of those lanterns you reviewed.  Can't imagine why your AC quit just cause the lights went out.  :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 10:31:01 PM »
I've never used kerosene lanterns but I have 4 or 5 Coleman white gas lanterns and 1 or 2 Coleman propane lanterns.  I really like the white gas ones.  I think they are great.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 04:31:19 PM »
Well, I need to clear up a little misinformation and add a couple of things to my evaluation of the new Kirkman Champion #2 lantern.   First of all, I was mistaken as to country of origin :-[.    It is NOT made in the U.S.A., but rather the manufacturer is in, you guessed it.....CHINA!  Now, this ain't ALL bad because the labor IS cheaper there and the Kirkman Co. has them made to THEIR SPECIFICATIONS!   The metal is thicker, the chimney/globe is of much better quality, the burner and mechanism for raising and lowering the wick is better and it is galvanized inside and out, rather than just being shot with a thin coat of paint on the exterior, to stave off rust and corrosion.   It's still the best, moderately priced, big kerosene lantern that I know of, being currently produced!

That being said, I have used it quite a bit since my last report and friends, guests and family members have been universally impressed with its quality and performance.  Most of them are ordering one or two for themselves, too!   We used it out on our deck for several nights over the long weekend to provide light for all of us as we sat around visiting.  We DO have electric lights, but they attract all manner of insects and the kerosene lantern seems to be the remedy for that problem.   We still get a few stray millers or moths, but not the hoards of them that swarm madly around the brilliant light produced by light bulbs or the Coleman lantern.

Fuel consumption, I'm happy to report, has been MUCH LESS than what the website indicates that you should expect! :)   I actually lost count of the hours that the first tankful has lasted, but I know its over 35, so far, most of them at full throttle!   I feel that I got my money's worth with this very nicely made lantern and am very satisfied with it, so far.  Because of that, I give it my most humble & enthusiastic endorsement and officially stamp it....... "WOLFY APPROVED"  8)

EDIT:  "Specifications" NOT "SPECIFICTIONS"! :-[
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:46:12 PM by wolfy »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
I posted this in the yard sale find thread. Wolfy suggested here too. I piked this up today for $10. I cleaned the glass globe only. It has a great patina but some surface rust too. I'll give it a wire brushing and then maybe a clear coat?

It's an Embury NO2 Made in Warsaw, NY.

I am going to add another one. I had a grey goose sampler bottle. I poked a hole in the lid and added some cotton
butcher twine for a wick. It's filled with lamplight 100% paraffin oil. Love the bottles...

Clean glass...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »
I like the lantern.  Love the vodka bottle.  Keeps you warm twice.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »
I like the lantern.  Love the vodka bottle.  Keeps you warm twice.
Looks like a high-rent Molotov Cocktail to me ??? :thumbsup:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »
I bought three more lanterns after our most recent power outage. Nothing special, just walmart stuff from the sporting good section. But they are amazingly functional when you need light and the power is out. A few hours doesn't seem to put a dent in the oil.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 07:55:10 AM »
The grey goose bottle was a failure. It stayed lit for 2 hours last night. When the fluid level got down to the bottom of the neck, the flame got smaller and smaller and....

I think an actual candle wick might have more capillary action. If that doesn't work I'll follow wolfy's lead for teotwawki.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »
No kerosene lanterns any more, but we had them when I was a kid.  Wish now I knew what happened to them.  I do have a few kerosene lamps, but I don't burn kerosene in them any more.  Up until about 4 years ago I did, but I like this stuff better.  Can get it at Wally World, 64 oz. for about 8 bucks.  No smoke, no odor, and doesn't get gummy like kerosene.

In the vein of the Grey Goose bottle lamp, but I use all kinds of bottles - liquor bottles, wine bottles, beer bottles - weird stuff.  The larger ones are partially filled with marbles to reduce the amount of oil and to add weight/stability.

And of course, the Aladdins

Looks nice at night reflecting off the glass.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »
Very cozy. Where did you get the tops for those bottles?

There is another thread on here somewhere. I posted my lamps there. Can't find it now tho....

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Nice pieces, Nuke!  :thumbsup:  I need to contact a moderator to change the thread title to KEROSENE LANTERNS & LAMPS.   I love my Aladdins & wick style lamps, as well.....this could make a good place to show everyone's collections! O:-)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 02:28:01 PM »
Very cozy. Where did you get the tops for those bottles?

xj, the little wicks/tops can be found at most of the "craft" type stores around here.  The larger ones and the chimneys for wine bottles and such can be found on line here:

http://www.winelight.com/

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 02:07:47 AM »
Thank you. I like that the air can flow up through those. I have a couple of the ceramic corks and wicks...somewhere.L OL!

I'll get all my lamps together for a group pic today. Tis the season!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »
Here's some more information on the smallest Dietz kerosene lantern, the #50 Comet.  Out of production for several years, but now back and available from W.T. Kirkman (see O.P.) in its original pre-WWI tin plate finish. :thumbsup:

http://thewoodslife.com/?p=171

The little Comet was the official lantern of the Boy Scouts of America at one time & makes a nice sized light for tent camping in the old traditional manner with shades of Horace Kephart thrown in for FREE! :camp: