Author Topic: NO moose again this year...  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
NO moose again this year...
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »
I just thought that I would share my misery with everyone here :P

I didn't get my MOOSE tag again this year :pissed:

There are only 3 tags available in the area where I live and hunt, with a few hundred folks applying each year, so it's really not surprising that I didn't get it AGAIN.
It's still depressing every year when I get the refund check back :(

There use to be 6 tags available, but due to wolves, mountain lions and a couple of bad winters thrown in for good measure, they drooped the quota 3 years ago and the moose haven't recovered enough to raise the quota back up.

Plus throw in a few moose that were poached and that sure doesn't help either :pissed:

Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: NO moose again this year...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that , Bear.    When are they going to wake up and start thinning out the wolf ?    I think MN cancelled the hunt all together this last season. 

WW. 
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »
Sorry, man. One of my buddies put in for 5 consecutive years before drawing a tag. Fortunately he filled his tag with a (?) three year old. The steaks would melt in your mouth!

But since you brought up moose, I'm going to hijack your thread for a mini-rant!
Our resident tree-hugging, ex-hippy, brain dead wannabe game 'biologist' has once again opened his mouth and inserted his foot in it.
There's a story in a local paper about a fisherman who got cross-wise of a cow moose and her calf. The guy got run off the fishing stream, and was none the worse for wear, but the "biologist's" advice to people who might encounter aggressive moose was to "carry bear spray". 
Okay...hose down a P.O.'d 400 pound grizzly and change his mind...but use pepper spray to keep from being run over by a 1,200 pound charging moose???  Is it just me, or is this guy a complete idiot, as I've often suspected?
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that , Bear.    When are they going to wake up and start thinning out the wolf ?    I think MN cancelled the hunt all together this last season. 

WW.

Oh they have WW, there's a wolf hunting and trapping season now.
One big problem here is that there aren't enough lion hunters anymore.
I'm thinking about changing that though ;)
Now if I can just figure out how to afford it :shrug:
My wife loves the idea though because she loves hounds and wants more of them.

I read that your moose season was cancelled because of a mysterious disease that was killing them :(

I also read that a wolf season in Minnesota will be happening soon 8) 

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
Sorry, man. One of my buddies put in for 5 consecutive years before drawing a tag. Fortunately he filled his tag with a (?) three year old. The steaks would melt in your mouth!

But since you brought up moose, I'm going to hijack your thread for a mini-rant!
Our resident tree-hugging, ex-hippy, brain dead wannabe game 'biologist' has once again opened his mouth and inserted his foot in it.
There's a story in a local paper about a fisherman who got cross-wise of a cow moose and her calf. The guy got run off the fishing stream, and was none the worse for wear, but the "biologist's" advice to people who might encounter aggressive moose was to "carry bear spray". 
Okay...hose down a P.O.'d 400 pound grizzly and change his mind...but use pepper spray to keep from being run over by a 1,200 pound charging moose???  Is it just me, or is this guy a complete idiot, as I've often suspected?

???

Yeah, it sounds to me like he's a complete idiot :doh:

It only took him 5 years... I've been applying for 6 years now AND paying the extra for the 'bonus' points and still no luck!

Oh well, maybe next year :)

Also OP... I haven't forgot about you asking about what the biologist said. I just haven't took the time to write you.
I will soon :cheers:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
I just had a thought OP... Bear spray is effective on 1000 lb grizzlies in Alaska!

I guess if you think about it, it doesn't really matter how big or small the animal is, if it can't breath or see its hard to finish with the attack.
But... The problem lies in standing your ground and getting a good 'spray' on the critter!

It's kinda hard to spray anything while your running away or it's already chewing on your head or kicking you in the face :doh:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »
I just had a thought OP... Bear spray is effective on 1000 lb grizzlies in Alaska!

I guess if you think about it, it doesn't really matter how big or small the animal is, if it can't breath or see its hard to finish with the attack.
But... The problem lies in standing your ground and getting a good 'spray' on the critter!

It's kinda hard to spray anything while your running away or it's already chewing on your head or kicking you in the face :doh:

A big *BANG* is a heck of a deterrent. Now what we need to invent and market is a hand held air horn that dispenses OC spray!!!

Offline Bryan Breeden

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:07:14 PM »
That is to bad, but like you said maybe next year. 
My vendor Subforum  Breeden knives.
Breeden Knives

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »

A big *BANG* is a heck of a deterrent. Now what we need to invent and market is a hand held air horn that dispenses OC spray!!!

That's a great idea OP ;)

I'm a fan of 'The Big Bang Theory' too ;D

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
That is to bad, but like you said maybe next year.

Thanks Bryan :cheers:

Offline land cruiser

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »
Oh, I feel your pain:( No sheep tag this year for me:(

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 08:59:15 PM »
I didn't even put in for any doe tags this year...again. 2500 applicants and 50 tags between two districts.  >:(
One of those hunting districts, with 25 available tags, is roughly the size of Rhode Island!

Half Axe

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
I understand your frustration, BH - where I live, it's become pretty much impossible to draw a moose tag, more likely to win the lottery.  I stopped putting in for the tag about five years ago when I ran the numbers and realized there was virtually no chance of drawing a tag.  Whenever I am elk hunting, I always see moose, though.  What about an elk tag?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 09:19:25 AM »

Actually OP, I think you should be supporting your local biologist,  I also think that it would be in the public interest to get him to make a public service video showing the benefits of using the bear spray to discourage a charging Moose.
  I'm sure he wouldn't mind standing in a wooded spot while a cow and her baby or a bull in rut are driven into him,  what better way to prove your point than to actually do it while being taped.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »
That would be a good plan, Moe, if we could ever get him out of his pickup.