Author Topic: Fishing etiquette question  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
Fishing etiquette question
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:25:22 PM »
Hey all,

Something has come up at my cabin the last few years and it happened again this past week. I thought I might ask your opinions on what I should do, if anything.  It stems from fishing etiquette for lack of a better definition. Our cabin is on a lake up near Dorsett/Park Rapids MN. It's not a super popular fishing lake, not a lot of outsiders who don't have property on it come to it to fish. the DNR hasn't stocked for a while, in other words it's not a fishing hot spot.

As can be expected out boat dock attracts a good number of Sunnies and perch that hang out in the shade during the heat and otherwise do what they do. We have, for decades, tossed bread crumbs and such off the dock to feed them, my kids bust out of the cabin early every day up there to feed them. Now that the kids are learning to fish they love to drop a line and bobber off the side and reel in the little ones and toss them back. Strictly a catch and release deal for us. Well as can be imagined after spoiling the little buggers some of the got pretty fat and big, which attracted folks from other parts of the lake to fish all the big ones out. That isn't the part that bothers me.  what bothers me is the folks will do this even when we are there. I mean, my kids are on the dock casting out and these guys troll by close enough in their big boats that they are casting right where my kids are. Basically forcing my kids to reel in and have to just sit and watch because they don't want to tangle lines or what not. Kids can't jump in to swim because the boats are right there. One group of 3 adults sat there going back and forth for over an hour. I suppose I should have said something but not sure what grounds I have to stand on. it's our shore line and dock but they are still out in the lake technically...

it really started to get me upset, but maybe I should just chill.

What would you folks do?
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Fishing etiquette question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
Some folks up here had a similar problem. I won't go into details, or a rant, but the offenders weren't even from the U.S.
These folks made a sign they posted on the end of their dock. It had a drawing of a child jumping off a dock into the water. The sign said, "Private swimming area. No watercraft within 100 feet".   
The neighbors laughed, and the tourists kept their distance, for the most part.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
Yes that is bad etiquette and I would not keep my big mouth shut and tell them so.  I would try to shame them by pointing out that they are going to steal a child's fishing hole.  With that said I don't think there is much else you can do.  The lake is public property.   When I used to fish we would be pulling them in right and left but I did everything I could to keep it hidden just for this reason.  A lot of people today are self centered jerks and have no thoughts about anyone else. 

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Fishing etiquette question
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:44:32 PM »
Legally you can't do squat unless they do something illegal.

You can make it an undesirable fishing spot though. Talk to them. Incessantly. Like your mother-in-law. Like Edith bunker. Like the  brother-in-law from National Lampoon's Vacation series. Talk about all kinds of inane subjects and repeat yourself often. Get you kids in on it. Have them question the boaters on their knowledge of whatever your kids watch on tv. Ask them about their bait, tackle, boat, shoe size etc. Then kindly tell them how it's all wrong and tell them what they should use: "Yep carrots. These here fish always take on carrots." Be nice and friendly. Annoyingly nice and friendly.

Or else blast some Scandinavian thrash metal music at top volume.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:50:15 PM by Yeoman »
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
My first thoughts were a sign something like Ol' P. suggested and maybe something as simple as just asking them politely to hold off on fishing around you dock because your are trying to save it for the kids.   I'll bet most people would understand and stop fishing there.  Then, I dun'no........a small mine field, perhaps. ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »
Sign might be a good idea.  A very official looking one with a bio-hazard symbol and a warning something like "Fish in this area infected with parasites dangerous to humans."

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I think I might send the kids out into the water next time, have a jumping off the dock contest to see how far out they can go and how big a splash they can make, etc...stand on the dock and ask the questions like was suggested.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:11:52 PM »
Get some 80lb(or heavier) fishing line and some heavy metal leaders, the longest you can get.  Cast right into his trolling motor (or big motor if he doesn't have one) get it tangled.  Yell out you got a big one, and pull like hell till it rips off or rattles around enough that it gets their attention.  If they say anything tell them their boat is right where you're fishing   >:D   repeat as necessary
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Kikstand

• Mill File+
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »
As somewhat of a bass fisherman....I've fished a dock or two andI've had a word or two with some crazy dock owners.

Rarely though, would I run into your specific problem....as bass tend to get lock jaw or vacate the dock completely when someone is on it.  So I would normally skip on down to the next one anyway.  I certainly wouldn't bother fishing a dock with some noisy kids and a know it all adult hanging out on it. ;)

A sign will do nothing. It has no authority what so ever. But...some things i have seen to stop people from fishing docks:
Cable, lumber or rope strung around the dock at water level.
Multiple poles left out with lines out in all directions (crappie fishermen do this all the time)
Sunken structure that is facing the dock (a branch or Christmas tree that is top towards your dock allows the dock fishermen to easily pull through......it will snag every line pulled through the other direction though. Bonus: attracts fish!)
and incessantly barking dogs.

If none of that works,  tie a 2oz lead on a Carolina rig and start slinging it off your dock at random. If they pull up.....cast right out in front of them...behind them...past them to the left......make no effort to move your line for them. If they get tangled....just point your rod at them and let them spool you. Now they have to deal with all that line all over the place....and you get new line!

~~Dave
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:59:58 AM by Kikstand »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
Ooooooo...   I'd be burning mad!!    Angerland... Find out with DNR how far out you can put a floating platform.  Like the ones you see in the swimming area. And ask if you can put bouys out there because your children swim there. And I do think you can get a 'caution children swimming' sign :)  OR there's these PVC platforms you can make for loons..  set a few of those 15 out from your dock.  :) :) 

Good luck and keep us updated.  :)

WW.   
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:25:45 AM »
Get some 80lb(or heavier) fishing line and some heavy metal leaders, the longest you can get. ...

If none of that works,  tie a 2oz lead on a Carolina rig and start slinging it off your dock at random. I'd they pull up.....cast right out in front of them...behind them...past them to the left......make no effort to move your line for them. If they get tangled......

Make that 90#-120# sturgeon (deep sea fishing) line. When they get snagged, YOU just keep reeling and spool THEM, or break 'em off. Might pick up some good lures that way.  If you're pretty good at casting, a 2-3 oz sinker bounced off the side of their aluminum boat might give them a clue they're too close.
P.S. I always carry a sidearm when fishing, in case I hook a big muskie, or pike that's too dangerous to land alive.   :sarcasm:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 03:49:42 AM »
I'd start out politely explaining things to them - afterall - they are probably "neighbors".  If they do not take the hint with polite conversation it might go down hill from there.....hopefully not.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 04:14:41 AM »
i agree with crashdive.

if/when polite conversation fails, inconvenience them like they've inconvenienced you. just be more crafty about it, and you'll win the war.

after all, there's a whole lake they could go to, and it's your feeding and dock that have led to that area being good. common sense and good etiquette should cause them to
move to a different area when you're out there with your kids. i've always despised fisherman that see someone doing well and go to their spot while they're there. it's a real dick move
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »
Why didn't I think of that? ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline RangerXanatos

• Whetstone +
  • Great Sexy Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »
+1 on polite conversation.  Explain that this is some family time and would like make sure that the kids were able to catch something in their 'fishing hole.'  If they stick around still, be annoyingly friendly and let the kids' lines get crossed and tangled with the other fishers' as the kids are still learning and don't know how to control their lines well.  ;D  Then let the kids do cannonballs out as far as they can.  After all, kids will be kids.   >:D

Don't be rude or confrontational.  They know where your dock and home is...
"What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying 'I am?'"
~Rocky Balboa

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
"Diplomacy is being polite to someone you'd rather choke." -- Unk

One last suggestion. The idea of a submerged 'reef' is a good one. What I would do is collect as many discarded Christmas trees as I could, and submerge them in a semi-circle out from the end of the pier. Create a fishing and swimming hole for the kids, and attract even more fish.  Place the new habitat trees just beyond the space you use. People trolling by, or casting toward the dock will get hung up and loose tackle so much they'll abandon the area eventually.  Cinder blocks are cheap, and it only takes one to sink a good sized Christmas tree.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 09:51:59 AM »

One last suggestion. The idea of a submerged 'reef' is a good one. What I would do is collect as many discarded Christmas trees as I could, and submerge them in a semi-circle out from the end of the pier. Create a fishing and swimming hole for the kids, and attract even more fish.  Place the new habitat trees just beyond the space you use. People trolling by, or casting toward the dock will get hung up and loose tackle so much they'll abandon the area eventually.  Cinder blocks are cheap, and it only takes one to sink a good sized Christmas tree.

Just be careful of your state environmental regulations. Although many did this a long time ago on the lake where my camp is, it's a big money fine if you "alter the natural flow of water."
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 10:05:26 AM »

Just be careful of your state environmental regulations. Although many did this a long time ago on the lake where my camp is, it's a big money fine if you "alter the natural flow of water."

From the OP, it sounds like this particular lake doesn't get a lot of attention from the DNR in the area. It's always a good idea to check, but many times adding structure to a lake to promote healthy fish populations is encouraged.  That's how I'd approach it.  Even if the improved habitat attracted other fishermen, they'd probably fish along the outside boundary, and the mission would be accomplished

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »
DNR are really fussy on what can be done in and around lakes. 

Quite a few years ago they had this idea to gather up Christmas tree's , lay them on top of the ice to melt down in come spring.   Great idea..but..   They didn't think on the tinsel and missed ornaments or the laziness of folks who didn't want to clean up those tree's before depositing them on the ice.   The tinsel was the bad one.  I had heard one lake had this tinsel stuff all along the shore line and they had to clean it up.   So they nixed this idea and even threatened fines if they were caught tossing those tree's out there on the ice. 

And don't even get me started on the stupidity of all the rules on cattails.... grrr...

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »
Sign might be a good idea.  A very official looking one with a bio-hazard symbol and a warning something like "Fish in this area infected with parasites dangerous to humans.

Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »
Maybe a sign stating 'Kid's fishing hole, real men require more of a challenge" or something to that effect.

And, you can have a sign facing shore that says the same thing. Take a picture of them every time they fish there with the sign in the foreground, then post it on the bulletin board at the local bait shop. They will get the hint.

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:24 AM »
PW that is good stuff right there!