Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 57063 times)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »
Well, I guess I'm about to start two books now. Just picked this up at the bookstore this afternoon.

"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »
Well, I guess I'm about to start two books now. Just picked this up at the bookstore this afternoon.

Can't go wrong with "Any" of the Foxfire books for some reading...
;D

:thumbsup:

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »
I actually met that dude in the picture with the black plastic-rimmed glasses that's getting ready to make the belly incision in that scalded & scraped hawg in that volume. 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2015, 09:43:51 PM »
I actually met that dude in the picture with the black plastic-rimmed glasses that's getting ready to make the belly incision in that scalded & scraped hawg in that volume. 8)

The feller with the pipe in his mouth? Cool!
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2015, 05:34:28 AM »
In a group doing a reading/course called "Experiencing God" by Henry T. Blackaby and Claude V. King.  2nd time around.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:37 PM »
Been on a history kick lately, right now its: John Marshall definer of a nation written by jean edward smith
Nice matters

Offline Rancher

• Mill File+
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2015, 09:08:05 AM »
This thread needs a bump. :-)

Just picked up a Theodore Rex, by Edmund Morris.

Looks like it may be a pretty interesting biography of Teddy Roosevelt.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
Natures Garden by Sam Thayer.  It is a highly recommended book on foraging wild edibles.  With retirement approaching, it might be useful.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »
Just finishing Epic Survival by Matt Graham.  Not terrible but way too much magical thinking and pseudo science  for my liking.  I figured he would have some hippie/new age philosophy but I was hoping more philosophy and less of "the eagles are watching me and appreciating what I do" crap.  It is not a how to survival book and is not marketed as one.  It is his story and delusional/magical thinking. 

Offline insaneh

• Mill File+
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »
Steven King, for me.  I somehow skipped reading his stuff in High School when everybody else was reading him.....but man that guy's got a knack for creeping me out. 

And I just finished One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, by Ken Kesey too.
If you want any particular of his books let me know. I'll give them to you.
I boycotted him after his anti gun tirade. If it takes money out of his pocket, I'm in.

Offline 7.62

• Mill File
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2015, 03:30:05 PM »
Colter's Run by Stephen T Gough

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2015, 05:50:51 PM »
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Just finished When China Rules The World by Martin Jacques
Nice matters

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2015, 06:12:58 PM »
A book called "Sheep    Life on the South Dakota Range"  written by Archer Gilfillan in 1949. 

Gilfillan was a herder for sixteen years prior to working as an editor and writer on the South Dakota effort in the Federal Writers Project back in the 1930,s.  Well educated in his youth he writes in a humorous style and tells you all about running sheep in the wild and wooly plains of western South Dakota.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »
I finally made it to the most recent book the in the Song of Ice and Fire series. At times it seems a bit slow, following plot limes that the show expeditiously glossed over. I had to stop watching the TV series because of the way the books are organized. Events in the beginning of book 4 occur at the same time as events in the beginning of book 5, so I pretty much have to catch up completely if I don't want the show to spoil the book.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2015, 05:33:49 AM »
PW that is what has me concerned. The last season left off where the last book does. It does not look like the book is going to be released before new episodes. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2015, 06:03:35 AM »
Well, let's see here....

Just now I was reading the local newspaper, yesterday the latest Outdoor Life,... oh, books? lol Well then :D....

I was flipping through the pages of the Boy Scout Fieldbook (Second Edition, 1980 printing, Copyright 1967) that used to belong to my brother's godfather before he passed-on.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »
PW that is what has me concerned. The last season left off where the last book does. It does not look like the book is going to be released before new episodes. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

My concern is that the show (which is influenced by ratings, subordinate to artistic vision) will drive the plot for the books. I have read a few books that were adapted from original screenplays and they are rarely as good as books that were later made into movies.

That Jon Snow situation we discussed seems to be complicated further by the appearance of a character in this last book. I am off to read some more to try to catch up so I can watch the rest of the last season.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »
The Tao of Pooh.  Benjamin Hoff.

Don't laugh until you read it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
Heh heh.

I have read it
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »
Then you're allowed to snicker... a little. lol
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »
War Dogs by Greg Bear.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »
"The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Carson

• Whetstone +
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2015, 04:41:04 PM »
I'm reading All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr at the moment, a super piece set during the German invasion of France...

but when I'm done with that I'm going to read The Revenant, a Novel of Revenge about the interesting old story of Hugh Glass, mauled by the grizzly, left for dead by his comrades...sound familiar? Anyway it is a current take on it and there is a movie coming out January 8 according to IMDB starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Hugh Glass
Nor had I erred in my calculations, nor had I endured in vain. I at length felt that I was free. -Edgar Allen Poe

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2015, 05:08:55 PM »
I've read Frederick Manfred's version of the trials of Hugh Glass in his book, LORD GRIZZLY, but that was a long time ago.  I'm going to see if I can get ahold of THE REVENANT, too, so I can compare.  ;)   The movie comes out Christmas Day and I will be in San Antonio looking for something to do besides listening to female relation talking for hours on end......I'm going!

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2015, 06:31:09 PM »
I am reading two books at the moment.

"Great Plains" by Ian Frazier which I have just started.

"Hundred in the Hand" by Joseph Marshall III.  An indian account of the Fetterman massacre.
Marshall is a Lakota writer, lecturer, archer, and educator.  This book is fiction set in factual events and he does a great job with it.  I am nearly done and for anyone who is interested in the Indian wars in the western plains I highly recommend it. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2015, 06:58:46 PM »

Well, I finished the boos some time ago. I will probably wait until the entire season is over and binge watch it on Google Play. As for the next book, not really sure where any of that is going. A lot of plot threads haven't been addressed in a very long time. Like zombie Cat, for example.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2015, 06:55:29 AM »
in between a stack of detective fiction and British crime stories, a great Revolutionary War book entitled Spies, Patriots, and Traitors

Author is Kenneth A. Daigler.  A most excellent read.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »

Well, I finished the boos some time ago. I will probably wait until the entire season is over and binge watch it on Google Play. As for the next book, not really sure where any of that is going. A lot of plot threads haven't been addressed in a very long time. Like zombie Cat, for example.

I know and it is hard to see how even two books are going to bring all the threads together into the giant battle that always happens in these fantasy books.  I believe the Red Witch will bring Jon back to life and in the end he will claim the throne as his birthright because he is actually Ned's nephew and not is bastard son.  That has to happen because that is what I want to happen.    :lol:

What is wrong with this author that he makes you love the Starks of the North and then kills them off one by one in a way that they are betrayed by those around them?    I hope we have the new book before summer of 2016.  I also hope that the author has his notes available to the publisher so if he dies someone can finish the book. 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2015, 09:47:51 AM »
I really thought Arya was going to be permanently blind. It was a relief to find it was a temporary condition. He definitely is hard on the Starks. The Lannisters took a beating as well,with Cersei's shaming, Jamie's hand, Tywin on the "throne", and Tyrion discovering his first love really wasn't a whore after all. Jorah Mormont has a hard time of it as well. He gets what amounts to a modern divorce that cleans him out, then rejected by Danerys, then the greyscale.

Really, it seems that most of the main characters suffer some kind of shocking misfortune or death at one time or another. Brandon's legs right from the onset kind of set the tone I guess.

Offline Rancher

• Mill File+
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2015, 09:54:20 AM »
Right now, it's British murder mysteries.  Agatha Christie, Colin Dexter.........

Have you tried any of the Charles Todd novels?

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Todd/e/B000APRU9E/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1448556786&sr=8-2-ent

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2015, 09:59:33 AM »
I am a book and a half from being done with the Wheel of Time series.  Very enjoyable books.  In the middle like books 6 thru 9 things were moving pretty slow but book 10 on have been great.  Lots of what you would look for in a good fantasy book series.   It really has been a fun rise to power for a small group of kids from a farming village.  This is more of a feelgood read than Game of Thrones believe it or not. 

Another book I read this last month ( I normally have one or two going at the same time) is Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell.  I am guessing that Sarah is ecstatic that she released this essay style book that is basically about the help France gave the US during the Revolutionary War one month before Paris has been in the news.  It is really humbling that a kid looking for the glory of war paid his own way to the US from France (against the specific orders of the king) to play such a major role in our independence.  A lot of things came together at the right time to gain us our independence that never would have without the actions of the French and Lafayette.  I highly recommend all of Sarah's books my favorites being Assassination Vacation and Partly Cloudy Patriot.  She has a way of not only finding the most obscure parts and people in history but does an excellent job of making the connections as to how it affects us today. 

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
I really thought Arya was going to be permanently blind. It was a relief to find it was a temporary condition. He definitely is hard on the Starks. The Lannisters took a beating as well,with Cersei's shaming, Jamie's hand, Tywin on the "throne", and Tyrion discovering his first love really wasn't a whore after all. Jorah Mormont has a hard time of it as well. He gets what amounts to a modern divorce that cleans him out, then rejected by Danerys, then the greyscale.

Really, it seems that most of the main characters suffer some kind of shocking misfortune or death at one time or another. Brandon's legs right from the onset kind of set the tone I guess.

It sure is true that he kills off everyone.  Love them or hate them they all have to die sometime.  I think the big difference between him and other authors is he really develops the character before he kills them.  Most authors after having put so much time and effort into the development of a character do not want to let them go that easy. 

Arya is really my favorite character.   Yes she is going down a very dark road but she is going to get revenge on those who killed her father and nothing is going to stop her.  They had better get going with the TV series because she is not going to look 13 for ever. 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »
The Wheel of Time series is on my list. I have a couple of TV series I want to get through before I commit that much time to books again though.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
i'm reading the wheel of time series. i read it when i'm at home. i typically read a chapter or two before i go to sleep.

out to sea i read whatever shows up from other people. 2001: a space odyssey, is amazing.
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
What are you reading?
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »
I'm not a much a reader beyond forums, and websites.  But every year or two I might read a zombie or doomsday books.

Last couple ones I actually finished where:

Fight Club by Chuck Palaniuk
World War Z by Max Brooks
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
And currently..
One Second After by William R. Forstchen

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:19:03 PM by JTD »

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »
Sharpes Eagle.  by Bernard Cornwell. Fifth book in the series. It follows the fictional life of a officer in the  British army during the war between British and France in the early 1800's. Highly recommend.
Nice matters

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2015, 09:11:18 PM »
i'm reading the wheel of time series. i read it when i'm at home. i typically read a chapter or two before i go to sleep.

out to sea i read whatever shows up from other people. 2001: a space odyssey, is amazing.

Yeah, the book was really good! I read it maybe 6 years ago. The movie is a good one as well.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2015, 07:06:55 AM »
I am afraid that what happened with Wheel of Time, will happen to A Song of Fire and Ice, the Game of Thrones books. With WOT, the author, Robert Jordan,  a fat, slow writing, old guy died before he finished the series.  A stand in was hired to finish the books, and I never was really pleased with the ending.
Now George Martin, another old, fat, slow writing author, is dragging the GOT story out to milk a couple more best sellers out of the mess.  I am certain he is a bratwurst away from a coronary, and will leave the project hanging.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2015, 08:27:37 AM »
Three roads to the Alamo
very in depth look into the lives and psyche of Travis, Crockett and Bowie...can't believe i have not read this sooner...good read
Wolfy be sure and visit the Alamo while in San Antone :hail:...i was stationed at ft sam in 1971...it was a great place to be in those days...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »
The Alamo is always on my list when I'm down there.  It always seems to me that a very somber atmosphere surrounds that memorial to Texas independence, but never visit during a weekend when the Spurs are playing a championship game. >:(

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the book.....I'll seek it out! :thumbsup:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2015, 12:08:29 PM »
"SAS Urban Survival Handbook" by Lofty Wiseman and "Natures Garden" by Samuel Thayer.  Natures Garden is a very highly rated book on edible plants and the SAS book is more about methods to improve your survivability in the city under all kinds of disasters.  It seldom mentions wilderness survival in this book; it is how to survive in the suburbs and cities.  In the event of a disaster that happens so fast that we cannot evacuate, we need to know the best methods to survive in place.  His chapter on firearms is couched in British Law so you can skip a lot of that one.  British firearms law is simple: can I carry a weapon? NO!  So you will be there to protect me from danger? NO!  So why do we need police?  TO DO THE PAPERWORK!
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »
Three roads to the Alamo
very in depth look into the lives and psyche of Travis, Crockett and Bowie...can't believe i have not read this sooner...good read
Wolfy be sure and visit the Alamo while in San Antone :hail:...i was stationed at ft sam in 1971...it was a great place to be in those days...woods
Just scored a copy on eBay for $3.97 w/FREE SHIPPING! :banana:    817 pages :shocked: that ought to keep me busy for a while.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2015, 12:47:21 PM »
I am afraid that what happened with Wheel of Time, will happen to A Song of Fire and Ice, the Game of Thrones books. With WOT, the author, Robert Jordan,  a fat, slow writing, old guy died before he finished the series.  A stand in was hired to finish the books, and I never was really pleased with the ending.
Now George Martin, another old, fat, slow writing author, is dragging the GOT story out to milk a couple more best sellers out of the mess.  I am certain he is a bratwurst away from a coronary, and will leave the project hanging.

I really hope these guys at least have a detailed plot outline. If I was his publisher I'd be demanding something like that.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
just got a copy of Dave Canterbury's "Advanced Bushcraft" for free from a library. I'll get back to you on whether or not it was worth every penny >:)
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2015, 02:00:03 PM »

I have not started book 14 in WoT yet but I liked Sanderson's writing style better than Jordan.   Jordan would write 120 page chapters that concentrated on one story line where Sanderson will write shorter chapters that switch between storylines.   Sometimes Jordan would take so long to get back to a story line I would forget what is going on.   :doh: 

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »

I really hope these guys at least have a detailed plot outline. If I was his publisher I'd be demanding something like that.

I would think HBO has all ready demanded that.  That has become HBOs big draw.  GoT is the number one illegally downloaded show of all time. 

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2015, 02:53:25 PM »
just got a copy of Dave Canterbury's "Advanced Bushcraft" for free from a library. I'll get back to you on whether or not it was worth every penny >:)

definitely not worth every penny, i'll be taking it back to the library tomorrow and redonating it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »

definitely not worth every penny, i'll be taking it back to the library tomorrow and redonating it.
BH....have you read Cody Lundin's 98.6 DEGREES: THE ART OF KEEPING YOUR ASS ALIVE? :shrug:
I borrowed a copy of it and thought I got my money's worth. 8)

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2015, 03:16:51 PM »
no, i won't buy it. no one i know owns it, so i can't borrow it either. i'm ok.

not saying things can't be gleaned from "survival" manuals, but after reading Larry Dean Olsen's "Outdoor Survival Skills" for the Primitive side and an old boy scout manual, i'm not sure what's left...