Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 63100 times)

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »
Across the Wide Missouri is a great book Orbean.

I am currently reading the current issue of Muzzleloader magazine which has been running a multi-part History of the Fur Trade.  No new ground to anyone who has read a lot about it but it is a good review of the economic and social implications of the developing events in the frontier of America. 

Also reading a western short story collection edited by the late Tony Hillerman which has an excellent bunch of stories.  The Best of the West was published in 1991. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #301 on: April 26, 2017, 07:13:30 AM »
The life and times of Titus Flavius Vespasian who became emperor of Rome. Which brings to mind a series on Netflix, House of Cards, that makes me think politics have not changed a lot in the last 2000 years.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »
  At the moment I'm reading "Hiking Through" by Paul Stutzman,  "One man's journey to peace and freedom on the Appalachian Trail".
  It's the story of a middle aged business manager who has lost his wife to cancer,  he is devastated by her loss and feels he has no direction left in his life,  but he knows he has to go on,  he needs some "alone time" to get over he loss and find some direction for his life.
  So he quits his job, travels to Georgia, and there he takes his first step in what would be a 2,176 mile trip through fourteen states searching for peace and a renewed sense of purpose,  in the book he recounts his trip about all the great people he met, learns about "trail magic",  and learns that every choice we make no matter how small has consequences that we have to deal with.
  I just got the book and I'm only into the introduction,  but it seems to be shaping up to be a good read,  A few years ago I met a guy who was just retiring from the police force at one of our bushcraft meets,  he worked for a large city police force about 40 miles from me, but he attended the same police academy as I did, had the same instructors, and we hit it off from the beginning of our meeting.
  Mike was an avid outdoorsman, he loved to hike, canoe, and rock climb, a year after "putting in his papers" he decided at 62 years old and in fine shape that he was going to hike the AT from Georgia to Maine, the trip took him about four and a half months to complete,  the following fall he told us about his experiences on the AT and said it was one of the greatest experiences of his life,  and one of the hardest to complete.
 That was the last time I saw Mike,  a mutual friend called me around New Years with the news that Mike had suffered a heart attack,  he survived and came out of the hospital in good spirits and feeling good,  but he didn't survive the next one that took him about a month later.
 I'm hoping this book will give me some sense of what Mike experienced on his personal journey traversing the Appalachian Trail.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
Vespasian had not gotten to be emperor yet, waiting for another book, I have moved on to Rameses II.  The pharaoh of Egypt at the time  of Moses.   

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #304 on: May 10, 2017, 09:23:44 AM »
  Well,  I just finished the book 'Hiking Through' by Paul Stutzman,  and I was saddened that I'd come to the epilogue, so much so that I've decided to read it again.

A little background,  when I first saw the book on the local CVS book rack waiting for a script to be filled,  I read the back cover and thought to myself that I'd look it up on Amazon and read a few reviews, I don't know many bushcrafters that are not interested in learning more about the Appalachian Trail,  but the more I thought about it the less interested I became,  there are at least a hundred books on the market written by through hikers about their  adventures and struggles in completing their 2000 plus mile journey from end to end of the AT, and probably another hundred written by section hikers,  surely this is just one more, and after awhile they can get pretty boring, so I decided to pass on the book.
  I visited the pharmacy several more time over the course of the month and never gave the book a thought,  the last time I was there I added the book to my order,  I didn't know why,  I wasn't interested in buying it or reading it, something compelled me to do so, and I obeyed, now I know why,  and if you read the book so will you.
  But first a warning,  if you aren't a spiritual person or are an atheist,  this book is probably not for you,  but if you believe even mildly in spirituality and creation, this book will move you spiritually and emotionally, trust me, it's worth the $10.00 you'll likely pay for the book, and I'd be willing to bet a cheeseburger that you'll want to pass it along to someone you care about.

Get the book and read it, you won't be sorry.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline robcollins

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #305 on: May 11, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »
James Michener - Alaska

I'm reading Centennial now.  (I live in Centennial, CO, so, it just felt like I should) Alaska was an awesome read too.  Michener's novels take commitment, but not as much as say, Crime and Punishment, which felt like doing my own dentistry, and I read that for "pleasure".

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #306 on: May 11, 2017, 04:11:20 AM »
I read Michener's "Alaska" in Hawaii.  And his "Hawaii" when I was in Alaska.  Loved them both.  Split personality.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #307 on: May 11, 2017, 08:03:49 AM »
Michener's stuff I've read:

Centennial
Alaska
The Drifters
Chesapeake
Texas

I've enjoyed them all, but he can get 'ponderous' at times.....I identify with that, however. :rolleyes: :lol:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:09:12 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #308 on: May 11, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »
Summer's coming fast.  Southern Appalachians.  No elec.  No computer.  No unannounced guests.  Lotsa reading.  Gonna start the used bookstore treasure hunt tomorrow. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #309 on: May 11, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »
Summer's coming fast.  Southern Appalachians.  No elec.  No computer.  No unannounced guests.  Lotsa reading.  Gonna start the used bookstore treasure hunt tomorrow. 

I recommend this place for browsing for used books, Tony.....

https://www.thriftbooks.com/

I buy stuff from them all the time.....they will notify you by email if something becomes available that you have been wanting, but has not been in stock.  Choice of condition, paper or hardback, free shipping on orders over $10, etc.   GREAT RESOURCE and WOLFY APPROVED!  :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #310 on: May 11, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
   Thanks Wolfy!  Just browsing I saw one I have read many times and will take with me.  Rick Warren's,  "A Purpose Driven Life".  It's one you read a little and then let it absorb.  Even better part of a group discussion.  No group up at the cabin but past comments will undoubtedly be recalled.  And as a counter punch, Vonnegut's, "Slaughter House Five"  might get another read.  Now to find some new material...
    I'm looking forward to this summer.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2018, 10:42:08 AM »
Just finished Ishi In two worlds. Written by Theodora Kroeber, she is the wife of the man who befriended and cared for Ishi. He was the last member of his tribe the Yana, located in California. They were wiped out in the late 1800's. It is a sad story of a great man. Highly recommend.
Nice matters

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »
It is a good book Orbean.  I liked it a lot.

I am re-reading "The Custer Myth" by Graham.  Written in the 1920's it contains interviews and correspondence with a number of people who were at the Little Big Horn.  It also has copies of letters between key players in the fight.  It contains a wealth of information for those who read a lot about Custer and the battle.  One of about six books one should read to have a good foundation of data about that period in US history.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #313 on: April 29, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
The Ben Lilly Legend by Frank Dobie and the Nick Adams stories by Earnest Hemingway

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »
It is a good book Orbean.  I liked it a lot.

I am re-reading "The Custer Myth" by Graham.  Written in the 1920's it contains interviews and correspondence with a number of people who were at the Little Big Horn.  It also has copies of letters between key players in the fight.  It contains a wealth of information for those who read a lot about Custer and the battle.  One of about six books one should read to have a good foundation of data about that period in US history.

That sounds interesting, I will keep a lookout for it.
Nice matters

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #315 on: April 29, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »
The Ben Lilly Legend by Frank Dobie and the Nick Adams stories by Earnest Hemingway

It has been awhile since I read any Nick Adams shorts.  I think the last one was the first in the series of stories, "Big Two Hearted River" about twenty years ago, or more.  The onion sandwich  and dropping bread in the water to drift down to the trout is in my mind.  Hope I have the memory right.
(Mark Twain)