Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 60693 times)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
The Federalist Papers.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Electric Cowboy

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2014, 09:45:50 AM »
Endurance, Earnest Shackleton's  Incredible Voyage.
 One year of survival in Antarctica, amazing story,
Deus Vult

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 10:02:41 AM »
I just read that one again last winter.....one of my favorites and an absolutely incredible story of courage, survival and navigational skill! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
I just read that one again last winter.....one of my favorites and an absolutely incredible story of courage, survival and navigational skill! :thumbsup:

Yes. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Duece111

• Whetstone +
What are you reading?
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »
Secrets of Warmth for comfort and survival by Hal Weiss ,cool little manual on staying warm winter camping,winter survival,how cold effects our bodies etc.
Dean Koontz 77 Shadow Street

And am listening to the first book of the game of thrones series in audiobook

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
Finally finished Sycamore row by John Grisham, a good read if you like his typical Lawyer stuff.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2014, 09:44:35 PM »
Just started reading the Wheel of Time series.  I will get through the first one before I will decide if I will read any more of the 17 book series.  So far it is no Song of Ice and Fire series.  It has to be damn good for me to commit to 17 books.   ;)

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »
I'm stalled on reading several books but the one I can't put down is the last Wheel of Time book that came out two years ago. I put off buying the last one because I was dirt poor for so long and wanted to wait till the price dropped lol.

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2014, 10:43:15 AM »
That is what everyone says Trek.  I'm giving it a shot.  The good news is it is a pretty easy read so far.  Ice and Fire is not only a complex plot but the author liked to describe the scene to the point where you are thinking "get on with it already."  If I do continue on with Wheel I will take a break when the last Ice and Fire comes out.  I hear it is done now so there is no more worrying the author is going to kick the bucket before he finishes it. 

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »
Believe it or not, Brandon Sanderson (the author hired to finish the WoT series after Robert Jordan died), has written the last few books so as to be almost indistinguishable in style and content from Robert Jordan's earlier work.

There are some interesting aspects of the newer books which make me wonder if Brandon Sanderson is a bushcraft/traditional skills enthusiast himself :D. Like, he does a lot of short segments where certain characters are doing certain tasks like blacksmithing, bladesmithing, leatherworking, etc etc. It's a recurring thing and it seems as though Brandon himself knows a lot of these things or perhaps he just did the research really well. Small details, and all that.

Good series, if you enjoy long fantasy series you won't be disappointed!

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline wannabe

• Whetstone +
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
For anybody with an interest in World War 2 or stories about human perseverance during the absolute worst circumstances, try reading "City of Thieves". Tremendous story that illustrates the hellish life in St. Petersburg during the war. I'm not a big reader but couldn't put it down and burned through it barely stopping. Fantastic read.

http://www.amazon.com/City-Thieves-Novel-David-Benioff/dp/0452295297

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »
Wannabe, if you like historical books and historical fiction, there is an author whose works I have enjoyed named Leon Uris.

He wrote a lot of books about the Jews in WWII.
My favorite is called "Exodus." I have another one called "Armageddon" which I haven't finished yet.

PMZ

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
Just started a new book after reading Longstreet's Memoirs of the Civil War campaigns of the Army of Northern Virginia.

This one is "The Neaderthal's Necklace"  copyright 2001 by Juan Luis Arsuaga.  It is the story of the first inhabitants of Europe; the Neanderthals and is written by Arsuaga, a renowned paleoanthropologist .  It outlines their cultural practices, the struggles with the Cro-Magnon race and their eventual demise.  Early on it is a very interesting look at early man and the culture they developed.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2014, 06:52:41 AM »
I'm reading a forum thread on Blades and Bushlore about what people are reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
I'm reading a forum thread on Blades and Bushlore about what people are reading.

A tome of great and overwhelmingly erudite observations on the state of our intellectual level, of that I am sure.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »
Indeed.

"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »

A tome of great and overwhelmingly erudite observations on the state of our intellectual level, of that I am sure.
Indeed.

I concur!
So many great titles as suggestions.

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
Today I'm reading Murder of Crows (book 2 in The Twenty Sided Sorceress series), Tomorrow I'll read book 3 and, the day after, book 4.... Then I'm gonna read book 1,5 and 2 in the Rust and Relics series, then it's on to Gods and Dragons (a collection of 8 fantasy novels). Don't know what I'll read next week... Darn Kindle! :D
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »
Rereading "Benjamin Franklin" by Carl Van Doren.  That guy was just amazing...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »
Rereading "Benjamin Franklin" by Carl Van Doren.  That guy was just amazing...
Yeah, he was, AND he seemed to know how to enjoy the 'finer' things in life! ;D

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
If you're unfamiliar with Ben.  Read up on him.  You will be blown away by his inventions.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »
I'm about a quarter of the way through "Surviving the Wilds of Florida" (http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Wilds-Florida-Reid-Tillery/dp/0963429752). It's a bushcraft / survival book focusing mainly on the Florida Everglades. It's a good read for a novice outdoorsman like myself focusing on the wilderness and waterways of Florida. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

Another book I've purchased but haven't started reading is "A Paddler's Guide to Everglades National Park" (http://www.amazon.com/Paddlers-Guide-Everglades-National-Park/dp/0813033608). I purchased this book mainly for researching a kayak trip I hope to make one day to paddle the entire 99 mile Wilderness Waterway through the Everglades.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2014, 03:29:53 PM »
I'm in Greg!  Got the second book.  Ordering the first.  Paddle in hand.

Wonder if anybody's SUP'd the run?
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »
I'm in Greg!  Got the second book.  Ordering the first.  Paddle in hand.

Wonder if anybody's SUP'd the run?

Tony, how cool of a trip would that be? It's on my bucket list for sure.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »
Kelly and I did a piece of it.  Want more.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »
I'm about a quarter of the way through "Surviving the Wilds of Florida" (http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Wilds-Florida-Reid-Tillery/dp/0963429752). It's a bushcraft / survival book focusing mainly on the Florida Everglades. It's a good read for a novice outdoorsman like myself focusing on the wilderness and waterways of Florida. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

I really like this book, it's well thought out and written.  I think it was forum member RBM that brought the book to my attention a while ago.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
Believe it or not, Brandon Sanderson (the author hired to finish the WoT series after Robert Jordan died), has written the last few books so as to be almost indistinguishable in style and content from Robert Jordan's earlier work.

There are some interesting aspects of the newer books which make me wonder if Brandon Sanderson is a bushcraft/traditional skills enthusiast himself :D. Like, he does a lot of short segments where certain characters are doing certain tasks like blacksmithing, bladesmithing, leatherworking, etc etc. It's a recurring thing and it seems as though Brandon himself knows a lot of these things or perhaps he just did the research really well. Small details, and all that.

PMZ

I'm into the second book and fatwood even gets a mention.  He does not go into detail but at least Jordan seemed to know what it takes to survive in the wilderness mentioning both a bow drill and a snare.  So far very enjoyable.  My only complaint is it is a little too sanitized for me.  I like a little more gritty a story.  Song if Ice and Fire is a little more to my liking.  Still Wheel of Time is a compelling enough story to keep me interested. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »
I'm presently pretty engrossed with a motorcycle shop manual. :P

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
What are you reading?
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2015, 04:53:53 PM »
Just finished Common Ground by Justin Trudeau. It was pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline abo4ster

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »
Just started Ray Mears biography.

Good thread, ordered a few based on the recommendations.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
Finishing the last couple of chapters in MAPPING by John Noble Wilford, too. :thumbsup:

Offline cbeck

• Mill File+
  • Yup
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »
Pinnell and Talifson: Last of the Great Brown Bear Men

Guiding stories from these two hunters on Kodiak island from the 50's to the 80's.

Offline Top Dog

• Whetstone
  • the more people i meet the more i love my dog
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »
Lords of the north by Bernard Cornwell, pretty darn good, I may try and find some more by him.
always keep your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.
You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2015, 05:31:07 PM »
Finishing the last couple of chapters in MAPPING by John Noble Wilford, too. :thumbsup:

Interesting wolfy... I have the same named book by David Greenhood ( that oddly enough you of all people recommended,lol )  since I'm finally done my Grisham, perhaps I'll

No....I WILL! read this  :cheers:

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
Currently reading Colin Towell's "The Survival Handbook: Essential Skills for Outdoor Adventure"
It's pretty good.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »

Interesting wolfy... I have the same named book by David Greenhood ( that oddly enough you of all people recommended,lol )  since I'm finally done my Grisham, perhaps I'll

Good for you......I think you'll like it. :cheers:   It was reccomended to me by a geospatial engineer for its clarity and perception of the subject. :thumbsup:

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2015, 06:41:35 PM »

PMZ

I'm into the second book and fatwood even gets a mention.  He does not go into detail but at least Jordan seemed to know what it takes to survive in the wilderness mentioning both a bow drill and a snare.  So far very enjoyable.  My only complaint is it is a little too sanitized for me.  I like a little more gritty a story.  Song if Ice and Fire is a little more to my liking.  Still Wheel of Time is a compelling enough story to keep me interested.

If you think it's sanitized now, wait till you get into the series lmao.
I think you won't be disappointed ;) It gets quite dark!

PMZ

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
I just finished WoT, BTW. The ending isn't what I expected but it's not the worst ending for a fantasy series ever. In fact, it's a little open-ended, which is nice, because it leaves the reader room to imagine what the main characters who survive Tarmon Gaidon end up doing later in life lol.
A pretty happy, if slightly bittersweet, ending to a very depressing last book lmao.

PMZ

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2015, 09:42:37 PM »

PMZ

If you think it's sanitized now, wait till you get into the series lmao.
I think you won't be disappointed ;) It gets quite dark!

PMZ

Cool.  The only down side is that series is a commitment.  Not just a lot of books but the books are not short by any means. 

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2015, 09:56:38 PM »
Yup, that's the only problem.

PMZ

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
Re: What are you reading?@
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2015, 09:46:28 PM »
So, uh...i am already rereading the WoT books. Lol. The good thing about that is, it encourages me to practice archery, make knives (right now I'm working on Mat's "ashandarei" (a type of polearm similar to the Japanese naginata) and camp more, both because the books inspire creativity, and because I spend so much time reading that I eventually feel the need to take a break, lol!

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
I'm about to start The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. I've been wanting to read this one for a while now.
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »

It's a bit of a slow read ( more like a study read ) but the more I learn, the more I realize we would not be where we are today without the mapping that went on before us.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:43 AM »
"Seth Bullock, Frontier Marshall". Written by his grand-son, Kenneth C. Kellar in 1972.  Bullock was an early migrant to Deadwood and entered the hardware store business with Sol Starr.  They developed a ranch and were instrumental in Deadwood's early commerce.  Bullock was the Deadwood Sheriff for a number of years and a deputy US Marshall.  He  became friends with Teddy Roosevelt during the time he that Teddy was ranching in the Medora North Dakota area.  They remained friends for the rest of their lives.  Bullock is a regional figure, once you leave this area no one knows much about him.  Bullock and Starr donated a railroad site that grew into present day Belle Fourche South Dakota, a town not far from where I live.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »
I bought that book in Deadwood at the museum. :)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2015, 09:45:31 PM »
I bought that book in Deadwood at the museum. :)

I checked this one out of the library.  It is pretty well written but has quite a few factual errors about directions and events in the first part of the book.  Once he gets into the letters and relationship with TR it flows pretty well. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:27 PM »
I confess to not having read it yet. :-[

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2015, 09:53:36 PM »
I confess to not having read it yet. :-[

I have a large pile of unread books sitting on my desk.   I also have a large pile of half read books there too.   :-X
(Mark Twain)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
I have a large pile of unread books sitting on my desk.   I also have a large pile of half read books there too.   :-X

I confess to having several half read books as well.  I can forgive the ones that are just not what I expected.  The thing that blows me away is I will read a book I just love by an author so I get another book by the same author.  At it seems like that second book was written by someone else.  It just does not capture the interest like the first one did.  It is not always the subject matter either.  It is like they just did not try as hard with the second book. 

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »
I , too, have several half finished books awaiting my attention, most of which were gifts :O