Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 92285 times)

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #250 on: June 22, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »
The context that he said it in troubled economic times is right.  The point is, for him, that it is less than they paid for it.  The farm and ranch land took a tremendous drop in price because no one could do anything with it.  The drought turned the land into a desert.  You could not raise a cow on most of it for several years and even if you could have the market price for cows was nil.  It cost more to ship them to the Chicago market than the would bring at sale.  Calves were selling for 4 1/2 cents a hundred weight.  A 500 lb calf brought in 22 1/2 cents. 

That land today is as high as 10K an acre but most is in the 3 to 6 k range.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #251 on: June 25, 2016, 08:31:24 PM »
The forgotten crafts by John Seymour.
All about how things were done back in the day. Everything from coppicing ( cutting a tree so new shoots grow) to soap making.
Some interesting stuff.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »
They still do coppicing in southern UK. They also make "living hedges" out of willow shoots like the South African farmers made "kraals" out of thornbushes (and Western USA ranchers did). I want to try that!
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2016, 04:34:33 PM »
Thanks for the Seymour reference! I'll have to look it up
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
I also enjoy the Eric Sloane books

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »
You are welcome Trekster , The UK is where Mr Seymour is from. He talks alot about it. Seams he has had many jobs & writes from experience.
I learned more then a few things & want to give a few a try
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/931505.Forgotten_Arts_and_Crafts.
Funny I found my book at the library & it looks the same as the one in the link but in the lion it is called " the forgotten arts and crafts
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:16:40 PM by lgm »
What a great day to be outside.

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »
I'm indulging in more Bernard Cornwell :D

Finished The Pale Horseman some days ago, and now I'm halfway through Lords of the North. Death of Kings arrived today :banana:
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2016, 06:39:14 PM »
Confederates in the Attic
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #258 on: July 03, 2016, 09:36:29 PM »
I just finished "Bushcraft 101" by Dave Canterbury and am starting to re-read "How to Hunt Birds with Gun Dogs", by Bill Tarrant.  I had that one in a paperback, but my mother-in-law sent me a hardcover version, and it's worth reading again.  ~Wes

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2016, 10:06:03 PM »
I just finished "Bushcraft 101" by Dave Canterbury and am starting to re-read "How to Hunt Birds with Gun Dogs", by Bill Tarrant.  I had that one in a paperback, but my mother-in-law sent me a hardcover version, and it's worth reading again.  ~Wes

Yes it is.  It is one of four or five books that every retriever trainer should read. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline metaldogfish

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #260 on: July 09, 2016, 09:49:09 PM »
I've been reading a lot of wild edibles books lately. Fascinating! Who knew that, that damn weed "purslane"  that tried to take over my garden the last few years is actually nutritious and tasty! it's growing hardy and being harvested this year. Daylily buds, too.  Lots to learn and enjoying every minute and morsel!

Offline Chekmate

• Mill File+
  • Keep Your Tinder Dry
« Reply #261 on: July 10, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
I've been reading Mors Kochanski book "Basic Safe Travel and Boreal Survival Handbook".   Lots of good information from Mors with all his experience and knowledge.   

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate
Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #262 on: July 10, 2016, 07:30:27 AM »
1491 by Charles C. Mann, amazing writer...

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
« Reply #263 on: July 10, 2016, 08:44:56 AM »
Re-reading my Preacher reprint paperback 'graphic novels' from DC Comics. Comparing them to the AMC TV show.
Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »
It's been years (over a decade) since I transmitted on a Ham radio and it appears that technology has very much progressed since then. I'm not very electronics savvy other than computers and cellphones. I do have a couple of Baofeng 2016 UV6r handhelds and I put a 15" whip on one but I only use them for police scanners currently. Trying to get all this technical data into my head feels like packing my head full of wool. It's not just the metric system. I probably understand that better than most people my age. It's the numbers. I hate math and numbers and terminology. I'm math retarded.

Spend some time in hamstudy.org and use the flash cards. You will get it. Elementary school kids get licensed all the time.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
I just finished reading Peter Jenkins' LOOKING FOR ALASKA last night.....very good book, but getting a bit dated.  Next in line.....David Nichol's ERNIE'S WAR, a compilation of the popular WWII correspondent Ernie Pyle's newspaper columns from the front lines.  He begins on Omaha Beach on D-Day +1, continues through Europe until Berlin is captured, then goes into the South Pacific to follow the war with Japan.  Unfortunately, he was killed in 1945, shortly before the war ended. 
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2016, 06:49:07 PM »
Just finished Stephen Ambrose's Nothing Like It In The World, about the building of the Transcontinental railroad. Good book, not as enjoyable as Undaunted Courage but a still a fun read.
Nice matters

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2016, 07:46:42 PM »
Just finished a fiction book by CJ Box called Endangered.  Features his Joe Pickett game warden character.  Frivolous but fun.

Next up is a re-read of Rocky Mountain Life by Rufus Sage.  This edition is based on the 1858 edition but the original journal was published in 1846.  Sage visited many of the important sites in the west. My interest in this book lies in his descriptions of places that I spent a lot of time at.  I once had a duck blind a stones throw from an early fur trading post on the Platte river (Fort St. Vrain that Sage was at for a time).  He traveled up the Platte to present day Denver, went up Cherry Creek and crossed the divide going south by what became Colorado Springs, traveled to Pueblo, Bent's Fort, Taos and so forth.  Every time I re-read this book I remember a place I was that he was. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:40:07 AM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #268 on: August 11, 2016, 06:42:34 AM »
half way through "A World Lit Only By Fire".  William Manchester.  The medieval mind and the renaissance.  A portrait of an age.  Interesting and depressing at the same time.  Mankind had an arduous journey to get where we are today.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2016, 05:19:42 PM »
  Just spent the last week revisiting the John D. McDonald  series with "Travis Mcgee" as the star, along with his adventures aboard the "Busted Flush" and travels around the N. & S. American continents,"salvaging" for other folks. ;)

Good reads, IMO!
:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #270 on: August 12, 2016, 06:45:56 AM »
re read "One Fearful Yellow Eye" last week.  The yarns are usually pretty good, but frankly, I find Travis harder and harder to enjoy.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #271 on: August 12, 2016, 10:08:02 AM »
   I just read & re-read for the enjoyment of the mystery/crime & the little twists & turns. I had my fill now for another 20 years. ;) 

Have to admit though, it was fun for me to revisit to go back to an earlier time with pay phones  ( booths) and some of the other nostalgic things that get mentioned that ya don't see of hear about anymore .
 ;)

I re-read Jame Michener novels & Louis L'amour novels also just for the entertainment, also.
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:49 AM »
   I just read & re-read for the enjoyment of the mystery/crime & the little twists & turns. I had my fill now for another 20 years. ;) 

Have to admit though, it was fun for me to revisit to go back to an earlier time with pay phones  ( booths) and some of the other nostalgic things that get mentioned that ya don't see of hear about anymore .
 ;)

I re-read Jame Michener novels & Louis L'amour novels also just for the entertainment, also.

I have read almost all of Michener novels, some are better than others, but always learn from them. The first one was centennial while attending high school in canon city co. We was a national treasure and is missed.

Just finished Weather for dummies, yes I admit I am an dummy, lol. Great book learn much. Easy read and has changed the way I look at the weather. For example, it takes trillion of calculations to develop a forecast of a couple of days. It might take a rocket scientist to get to the moon, but without info meteorologists provide it would never leave the atmosphere.
Nice matters

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #273 on: August 22, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
I am reading a fiction book by Robert Waller titled "Border Music".  Entertaining and I like Waller's use of words. 

He wrote the book "The Bridges of Madison County" which was made into a movie. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2016, 07:41:49 PM »
Re reading,  Arming the Union : small arms in the Civil War  by Carl L Lewis.

:)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE by Cody Lundin  :coffee:

Offline wannabe

• Whetstone +
« Reply #276 on: September 07, 2016, 09:03:03 PM »
Is there a bible of foraging? If so, what might it be named? Thanks.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2016, 01:07:52 AM »
Aristotle.
Adam Smith.
Enoch
Julius Evola
Ricardo Duschene.
Holy Bible.

...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2016, 07:02:55 PM »
Is there a bible of foraging? If so, what might it be named? Thanks.

I think good guide books for foraging are area specific, for example IMO the book Edible Plants of the Rocky Mountains. ISBN 0-8263-0343-9.  Written by H.D. Harrington. It is well referenced, and most were tried by Harrington.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #279 on: December 13, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »
I'm a little more than 1/4 of the way through Pierre Berton's 450 page KLONDIKE FEVER: The Life And Death Of The Last Great Gold Rush.  The New York Times Book Review says "It is the most complete and most authentic on the subject in English.  I agree! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #280 on: December 13, 2016, 10:53:14 AM »

A waste of time. :rolleyes:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #281 on: December 13, 2016, 11:29:31 AM »

Wolfy,

Could you please elaborate as to why your opinion of this book is so low?

I have not read this book, but kind of put it on my, " If I ever see a free edition, or one that I could peruse a bit; I would read it.", list. When you say it is a waste of time, & I value your opinion, it prompts me to ask.

Thanks, if ya have the time to hold forth a bit on it.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #282 on: December 13, 2016, 01:59:53 PM »
Two older books that I am reading at the same time (well one for awhile then the other)

The Custer Myth by Colonel Graham MCMLVIII  (1957)  Observations of various aspects of Custer's life and death.  A very interesting review of Custer's legend and lore.

Ammunition, It's History, Development and Use.  by Melvin M. Johnson and Charles T Haven 1943  A look at the development of cartridges from the beginning of their use to the advent of smokeless, United States Military Cartridges, Smokeless powder sporting rifle cartridges, Pistol cartridges, ballistics, and a insert with charts on determining Ballistic Coefficient, remaining energy, time of flight, and other useful things.  An interesting book with a lot of information on the early black powder cartridges and smokeless powder cartridges. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #283 on: December 13, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »

Wolfy,

Could you please elaborate as to why your opinion of this book is so low?

I have not read this book, but kind of put it on my, " If I ever see a free edition, or one that I could peruse a bit; I would read it.", list. When you say it is a waste of time, & I value your opinion, it prompts me to ask.

Thanks, if ya have the time to hold forth a bit on it.
Since the Ernie Pyle book that I was going to send you ended up in Yuma for the time being, I am going to send my copy of Cody's book to you.......along with that copy of The Worst Hard Time that I promised to you, too. O:-)     I'm a helluva good guy.....just a little slow sometimes. :-[

MERRY CHRISTMAS!  :cheers:

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #284 on: December 13, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »
Florida Gun Law
Armed And Educated

David S. Katz
James D. Phillips, Jr
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #285 on: December 13, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
A good and wise measure. The search for the Canadian American boundary. 1783-1842. The story of the defining of the US northern border. Interesting that we almost went to war with great Britian a couple of times over this issue after the war of 1812 and how the treaty of Ghent was badly written.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #286 on: December 13, 2016, 04:51:45 PM »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #287 on: December 13, 2016, 10:05:11 PM »

Since the Ernie Pyle book that I was going to send you ended up in Yuma for the time being, I am going to send my copy of Cody's book to you.......along with that copy of The Worst Hard Time that I promised to you, too. O:-)     I'm a helluva good guy.....just a little slow sometimes. :-[

Thanks! That would be great!  :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS! to you too! :cheers:

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #288 on: December 18, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »

I used to live a couple hundred feet from the Ernie Pyle library, he was from Albuquerque. Visited it many times.

Thanks! That would be great!  :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS! to you too! :cheers:
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #289 on: December 23, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »
Bill O'Reilly's most recent book in the 'killing series,' KILLING THE RISING SUN is the story of Japan's sneak attack on the U.S. Navy's fleet at Pearl Harbor and our involvement in the Pacific war effort.   The horrendous fighting that was necessary to secure the islands close enough to the mainland of Japan for bombing runs lead to the atomic bombs being dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki....a fascinatingly presented and hard-to-put-down read!

If you remember Quint, from the movie JAWS, giving his chilling account of the torpedo attack and the sinking of the Indianapolis after it delivered 'the bomb' to the island of Tinian in the Phillipines, there is a very good account of that in the book, too.  The Japanese submarine commander, with only two torpedos left, had had a miserably unsuccessful tour and was getting ready to head back to port when the Indianapolis suddenly and unexpectedly appeared in his periscope.

I learned a lot that I didn't know about the war in the Pacific.....it's a great read! :thumbsup:

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #290 on: December 23, 2016, 07:44:50 PM »
Just finished Toward the setting sun. Columbus, Cabot, and Vespucci. The race for America. Written by David Boyle. Great book, explains the relationship of the three explorers, how they grew up together, and most likely their families knew each other; there is solid evidence that Cabot (Caboto), and Columbus might have been next door neighbors. It starts with fall on Constantinople, goes on to describe the economy of Europe and the emerging merchant class, and then how these three Italian state explorers went to the kings of Europe to finance their expeditions. Their interests in the new world was more about business than about discovery.

Great book, going to read it again as there is so much info.
Nice matters

Offline Electric Cowboy

• Whetstone +
« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »
Just started "Ishi the last Yahi ". If you like primitive archery or just a cool read.
This one would be a good choice.............
Deus Vult

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #292 on: March 17, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »
Plain Enemies.  True stories of the American Frontier.

An account of battles in the Indian Wars in the West. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #293 on: March 17, 2017, 10:43:26 PM »
'UNDER THE BLACK FLAG, the Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates".....pretty interesting read and I've learned a lot about them that I didn't know.  For example, I didn't know that the most influential pirate leader of all time was a Chinese hooker (Mrs. Cheng) who led a flotilla of junks, manned by more than 8000 pirates under her command! :shocked:  :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :canoe: :canoe: :canoe:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:17:25 PM by wolfy »

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »
Mrs. Cheng had lots of potential customers.  She could split the loot and then let them pay it back.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
Lost City.  Cussler.  I really have to be in the mood for this.  Got about halfway through.  Gonna work through the rest.  lol
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2017, 09:33:41 PM »
Just started "Ishi the last Yahi ". If you like primitive archery or just a cool read.
This one would be a good choice.............

Is this Ishi the same for which "Ishi sticks" used in flint knapping are named for?

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2017, 10:34:13 PM »
It is. 

From a Wikipedia article on Ishi: 

Among Ishi's techniques was the use of what is now known in flintknapping circles as an Ishi stick, used to run long pressure flakes. As it was a traditional technique of the Nomlaki and Wintu tribes, the finding suggests Ishi may have learned the skill directly from a male relative from one of those tribes. Also small groups, they lived close to the Yahi lands and were traditional competitors and enemies of the Yahi.

(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »
It is. 

From a Wikipedia article on Ishi: 

Among Ishi's techniques was the use of what is now known in flintknapping circles as an Ishi stick, used to run long pressure flakes. As it was a traditional technique of the Nomlaki and Wintu tribes, the finding suggests Ishi may have learned the skill directly from a male relative from one of those tribes. Also small groups, they lived close to the Yahi lands and were traditional competitors and enemies of the Yahi.

:thumbsup:

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2017, 06:00:41 AM »
Finished Across the Wide Missouri written by Bernard DeVoto. Having read twelve plus books and a handful of articles dealing with the fur trade; this book went to details that were very interesting. It expanded on bits and pieces of stories i had learned in other publications, and help me make connections between different traders and trappers. It it an easy read, flows well, i can see why it won a Pulitzer prize
Nice matters