Author Topic: Soda can stoves, how to hold together  (Read 5920 times)

Offline AboOhio13

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
Soda can stoves, how to hold together
« on: August 12, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
I made a soda can stove using this, http://www.thesodacanstove.com/alcohol-stove/how-to-build.html , and it says to use that heat sheild tape, i dont have any and herd it was pricey, what could i use to tape it all together??? Thanks

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
Re: Soda can stoves, how to hold together
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:20:09 PM »
i haven't had any issues making it without the tape. if you have high temp silicone that works too.

you could take a look at zenstoves.net, there is a wealth of stove types there...
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline AboOhio13

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:32:41 PM »
Good-point, i modified there method and mixed i with some other methods and made my own, i jus finnished boiling some water on it!!!

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »
JB weld has worked for me as well with no problems.  Not that exact model stove but I think it will work just fine. 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
All of the stoves I've built used friction alone to hold them together. Its a tight fit when you jam one soda can bottom into another one.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »
All of the stoves I've built used friction alone to hold them together. Its a tight fit when you jam one soda can bottom into another one.

JB weld has worked for me as well with no problems.  Not that exact model stove but I think it will work just fine.

I have done as Draco and PW and had good luck both ways.  If you have problems getting the halves to go together, use a full can of pop as a mandrel, or wedge, to shape the lower-makes it a lot easier.

You're not really generating enough pressure to need a sealed unit IMO.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:50:08 PM »
If you have to use the tape, muffler tape from the auto parts store is not too pricey.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:04:33 AM »
  If you quit using flimsy soda cans and start using cat food cans you won't need tape or anything else, they are easy to work with,  tough as nails, and last a long time.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »
I've only ever had to use JB in a couple instances, but that was when I was making this guy's designs:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tetkoba/videos

Otherwise, for that kind of stove you shouldn't need any tape, etc.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:50:11 AM by diogenes »
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »
Yeah, you don't need any tape or adhesive for this particular design. See here: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/07/diy-alcohol-stove-open-jet-soda-can.html

Otherwise, I try to avoid any use of tape or adhesives because in my experience they all fail at some point. Some of them are designed to stand up to heat, but i don't think any of them are designed to function long term surrounded by flames.

Most alcohol stove designs use just friction.

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
Actually, WT, I like this stove design you posted over the usual soda can stove. I made a small version with smaller cans and it burns more efficiently and at least as hot as most soda can stoves I've tried. It's a lot easier to make, too. That'd be my recommendation for anyone looking to build a stove.
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
Made a couple of these....works pretty well...the just stick the cans together style...no need for tape.

If you have to buy the tape or WB weld, you have defeated the propose of a free stove....IMHO.

BTW, Heet and alcohol, burn pretty much invisible....this get interesting quick if trying to add more fuel before its completely out......it will take the fuzz off a fleece pull over real quick......Just saying. 
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
I made one of these.  It is my favorite one so far.  Easy to make and the strongest one I have seen. 

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 05:32:19 AM »
Actually, WT, I like this stove design you posted over the usual soda can stove. I made a small version with smaller cans and it burns more efficiently and at least as hot as most soda can stoves I've tried. It's a lot easier to make, too. That'd be my recommendation for anyone looking to build a stove.

That's my favorite too. It outperforms most other stoves.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »

+1

All the ones that I have made have never fallen apart.  The friction alone keeps them together.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
I made one of these.  It is my favorite one so far.  Easy to make and the strongest one I have seen. 

Very cool!

I actually have several of those bottles in the fridge right now...

Might give this one a try when work slows down for the winter. I like how the design uses the pot to seal the center of the burner to force all the pressure out the jets, and how it dispenses with the need for a pot stand. Though it couldn't hurt to have a slightly shorter pot stand surrounding the burner to prevent a tip-over if you use a wider pot.

Offline uscgboatie

• Mill File
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 03:12:56 AM »
JB weld is great for sealing the two

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »

Very cool!

I actually have several of those bottles in the fridge right now...

Might give this one a try when work slows down for the winter. I like how the design uses the pot to seal the center of the burner to force all the pressure out the jets, and how it dispenses with the need for a pot stand. Though it couldn't hurt to have a slightly shorter pot stand surrounding the burner to prevent a tip-over if you use a wider pot.

It works really well and is the toughest of these stoves I have made.  The only down side I have seen is setting the pot right on it will sometimes put it out because it cools down the stove and the jetting stops.  With some pots I have had to hold it over the flame for a minute or two so the pot and what is in it heats up a little.  I ended up making a pot stand and once it starts warming up I use the mulitool to remove the stand and sit it right on top.  Some pots work fine without a stand.  You will just have to test it out. 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »
Maybe a "lid" could be made for it to cover the center hole once the jets bloom, and then use it with a pot stand all the time.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »
Maybe a "lid" could be made for it to cover the center hole once the jets bloom, and then use it with a pot stand all the time.

I just got back from being out for a couple of nights and I am done with Esbit and going back to alcohol.  Esbit is hard to light but the worst problem is how sticky everything gets.  If you set the pot down in any dirt it will be stuck there for good. 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 10:42:17 PM »
I've never even tried fuel tabs. But based on that, I don't think I'll bother! :D