Author Topic: A few things I've made [not really recent though] Pic heavy?  (Read 4632 times)

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
  • PA...the hunter's dream state
    • My meagerly endowed YouTube Channel
A few things I've made [not really recent though] Pic heavy?
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:55:57 PM »
First, this explains the "why?"..........LOL. This is me:

Now....here's a few Sporrans I have made. The word "Sporran" is translated to "purse." Please keep the laughter to a minimum :D . The Scotsman wears a Sporran to carry those things that might otherwise go into a pocket. A Piper wears his Sporran in front of his Kilt, just above the groin area. There are varying styles, some are simply ornamental like a Regimental horsehair style. Contrary to popular belief though, it's NOT a "groin shield" -- although it IS a secondary benefit.

The "Rob Roy" style. A simple pouch:

My first attempt at a Hunter Sporran. Basically it's a "silent" sporran that loads from the top. There's no tassels on the front to "tap" as you walk and the 'mouth' has to be reinforced. This one uses a metal Cantle [Google Sporran Cantle]. The Kilt is my Family Tartan.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/druidsdecendant/media/Celtic%20Projects%20of%20Mine/First%20Hunter%20Sporran/4-CarvingFacestillwet1.jpg.html]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/druidsdecendant/media/Celtic%20Projects%20of%20Mine/First%20Hunter%20Sporran/2-Boss1.jpg.html]

One I made for work. Same principle as the hunter above but done in black nylon. I used leather face and backing plates to make it rigid.

A purse I made for my youngest daughter Victoria:

This is a Scottish Dirk I'm building [my 2nd attempt. 1st was kind of a failure]. The production halted because I've recently moved....and pretty much, haven't found the pieces yet :D. Steel acquired from Texasknife.com and I used 1080 Carbon steel. The handle is Elk antler and I'll be using brass mosaic pins and plates for handle caps.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
Re: A few things I've made [not really recent though] Pic heavy?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 06:10:59 PM »
Awesome craftsmanship on those pieces.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:26:04 PM »
Awesome craftsmanship on those pieces.

Thanks. The Sporrans were kind of out of necessity. The one with the Triquetra [aka Christian 'Trinity'] was made to match my Family Tartan. None of the Sporrans I had truly matched.

The black Rob Roy is for "dumb stuff" i have to carry while Bagpiping...cell phone, smokes, wallet, extra reeds and supplies, etc.

The purse was  gift for my youngest daughter....who saw a similar one during a local Celtic Festival. They were asking $400 for that one.

The Dirk will end up being heat treated but I have to find it to start finishing it.....lol.

Now that I moved into a home with a 2 car garage [ahem MANCAVE!! LOL], I can start doing projects that I only dreamed of doing. Now.....to find an anvil at harbor freight :D .......
If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »
Very cool!  Thanks for sharing.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
Those are really cool!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »
Beautiful work!  I saw some in Scotland for sale that were not nearly that nice for a LOT of money! O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »
Nice work!.....Thanks for posting.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »
Beautiful work!

Tell me more about this one. Is this compatible with your uniform?

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »
Beautiful work!

Tell me more about this one. Is this compatible with your uniform?

Thanks!...and gladly...though it's a bit of a read....lol.

As I posted earlier [or elsewhere here?] The past 15 years, I have worked for my County Department of Corrections. I also play the Bagpipes, have since 1985. I retired from E.U.S.P.B.A. Grade II Band competition back in 1994 [Grade V is 'novice,' Grade I are the 'elite'].

Our department employs 200+ Officers, 15 Lieutenants, 1 Captain and around 90 support staff.

Well, my 1st Lt. [and favorite] had a dreadfully sorrow-filled loss....his brother [a City Motorcycle Cop and volunteer fire Fighter] and Niece [the brother's daughter] were on their way home from a motorcycle show and the brother lost control of the bike, killing both of them.

The Captain came to me and asked me to play at the combined funeral. Naturally and without hesitation, I agreed. The problem was that I only had formal civilian-dress but I would represent as best as I could.

For the next few weeks following the funeral, the notion of "civilian dress" didn't sit well with me for work-related functions. I mean, yes....Military/paramilitary units don't always have 'their own' and often seek civilian counterparts. This wasn't the case for us. So I thought further....

I looked on-line for a Class A Uniform and presented my ideas to the Captain. I wanted a Class A "Ike" jacket with gold buttons, epaulets, Clarino-finished Sam Browne belt and gold braid. I initially used my Family Tartan but showed him the Law Enforcement Tartan [the blue one you saw] and they ordered it all for me.

After waiting 2 months, I got all my uniform parts and was walking it out to my car, when another officer saw it. He was very interested in it and he, along with 2 other officers/union officials...met with our Administration and after a 2 year-long battle, got an Honor Guard together.

That sporran you asked me about is made with our shoulder patch as display. It was made specifically to be worn with my Uniform.

The construction--

The base layers are untreated/unadorned, 1/4" thick leather, as is the one you see in the more ornate Hunter sporran.

I ordered black, 550D milspec nylon cloth from EBay and found matching nylon threads locally.

I cut the nylon face of the sporran 4" larger than the leather it's mounted to. Before stitching the black nylon face to the leather, I added "the thin blue line" - a Law Enforcement ideal, many purporting it to mean "the thin blue line are the Officers who stand between You and the Criminal."

After sewing the Line on, I acquired a new, unused patch from my Captain and sewed it on top of that. I centered the entire face onto the leather front-plate and cemented it down.

The face you see is then stitched onto the front leather plate of the Sporran.

Then the gusset [pocket] is then revers-stitched [upside down] onto the front plate and then folded backward. When you fold it back, the "desired" side is then presented and also hides the seam that attaches it to the front plate.

I then covered the outside of the back Sporran plate with a layer of nylon by gluing and sewing it on, then I added the belt-mount attachment.

The gusset then gets sewn to the back plate. That, basically forms the face, pocket and back that makes the Sporran. I added the Cantle, which mounts using 3 screws and correlating acorn nuts. That requires marking and punching holes to mount them through it.

The next step was a snap closure added to the top. It is attached at the front plate, under the Cantle, and goes over the top of both plates, to snap onto the back plate. This keeps the whole thing closed at the top...much like a woman's clutch.

The final step was the decorative chain to go around my waist. I found one in "women's accessories" ......again....laug hs at the minimum....LOL...wh ich feeds through a belt slot I added to the back. It uses a Lobster Claw Snap hook to connect:
http://www.usalanyards.com/square-swivel-lobster-claw-snap-hook-hm-8014.aspx

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 11:39:22 PM »
Thanks for the details. Having spent 21 years as a CO, I was curious about your application.
Forming an Honor Guard for your organization is admirable. I just hope you only need to wear your Class A's on rare occasion.  ;)
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »
Great work!  I really think you have some great skill.
 ;)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor