Author Topic: Paintball anyone?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
  • PA...the hunter's dream state
    • My meagerly endowed YouTube Channel
Paintball anyone?
« on: August 19, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »
In addition to playing the Bagpipes, I have also enjoyed the game of Paintball since 1986 [I was 16 then....you do the math XD].....

Doing the "Scottish" motif when I play, everyone there knows me as "Druid." The problem with most bought-vests is, they just don't hold enough from my style of play. I play mostly woodsball and milsim style paintball but with a fast RPM set of paintball markers. That means I need to 1. carry more paint and 2. more air source. So looking around, custom vests cost a fortune. Blah...I'll modify my own, thanks much...

3lb CO2 bottle holder, as compared to a 2 Liter soda bottle

before:

after:

and then there's:

My German Flecktarn Kilt for those DDay scenarios. Made from German surplus A-Frame tents:

My MARPAT Kilt for everyday paintballing:

If they ever make a "desert" arena at my 700 acre paintball field...

But it DOES snow in PA...so:

I got my middle daughter into it also. Her field name..."Lil Druid"

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Paintball anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »
Lots of web gear there! Nice job on the mods.

I played a bit of woods ball and a bit of tournament paintball a little over a decade ago. Loads of fun, but it is a very expensive sport. At the time I was playing, paintballs were more than .22lr ammo! A good tournament grade marker costs a lot of money. I still have an almost mint Empire Intimidator with a couple of mods done to it, an original Halo hopper and a few old jerseys and such.

Last I looked Empire had been absorbed by a big company. WGP no longer exists. I don't even know what the latest and greatest marker is anymore. I bitterly regret selling my Autococker to fund another purchase. Still have an Automag classic though. :D

Back when I was playing, I made a ghillie suit of sorts by gluing strips of burlap to camo clothes. Only used it in one overnight scenario game but it was staggeringly effective camo. But the majority of my tinkering was focused on the markers themselves and not the clothing.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:13:22 PM »
Nice kilts and kit!

Picked up a Tippman and three bottles recently.  haven't had a chance to try it out yet...after buying the kit and filling bottles, can't afford the paint just yet!

Digging the idea of German pup tent-turned-tactikilt.  Gotta try that!
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »
Lots of web gear there! Nice job on the mods.

I played a bit of woods ball and a bit of tournament paintball a little over a decade ago. Loads of fun, but it is a very expensive sport. At the time I was playing, paintballs were more than .22lr ammo! A good tournament grade marker costs a lot of money. I still have an almost mint Empire Intimidator with a couple of mods done to it, an original Halo hopper and a few old jerseys and such.

Last I looked Empire had been absorbed by a big company. WGP no longer exists. I don't even know what the latest and greatest marker is anymore. I bitterly regret selling my Autococker to fund another purchase. Still have an Automag classic though. :D

Back when I was playing, I made a ghillie suit of sorts by gluing strips of burlap to camo clothes. Only used it in one overnight scenario game but it was staggeringly effective camo. But the majority of my tinkering was focused on the markers themselves and not the clothing.

Yes, you are right. When I started playing, we still used cheap shop glasses and oil-based paintballs, requiring turpentine to get it out LOL! I still have my SplatMaster and PMI 68 Magnum. I also had Autocockers, Angels and Shockers for tourney play but as we always do....we go back to the woods [to stay]. I too have 3 guns from AGD, one of which is my daughter's. I got her a purple ULE :D ....

Smart Parts went chapter 7 and reformed under the name GoG paintball.

I still have to this day, 3 AutoMags, an '03 AKA Viking, 2 Tippmanns, 68 Magnum, SplatMaster, 2 Smart Parts Ions but with Lucky Paintball custom LE bodies and internals, an SP1 and I think a Spyder or two.

I regret the day I traded my AGD 6-pack though...

Nice kilts and kit!

Picked up a Tippman and three bottles recently.  haven't had a chance to try it out yet...after buying the kit and filling bottles, can't afford the paint just yet!

Digging the idea of German pup tent-turned-tactikilt.  Gotta try that!

Awesome. Glad you are joining the ranks!

.....but before buying paintballs, your FIRST NEXT purchase [if u don't already have one] is a CHRONOGRAPH. NEVER shoot a marker that is in excess of 300 fps. The goggles are only rated to that speed. You are better off using this math...

If using HPA [in their appropriate bottles] then you could chrono as high as 295 fps.
If using CO2 [in their appropriate bottles] then you should try to maintain a ~260-280 fps.

Reasons:
HPA doesn't fluctuate pressure in heat and sunlight like CO2 will.

HPA bottles have a regulator on their bottle, where a CO2 bottle only has a pin valve.

On hot days...or if you are out in the sun....the CO2 bottle builds pressure from the ambient heat. It will, in essence, "hot shot" the first several-to-dozen shots....making them WAY faster than what you initially chronographed at. Keeping CO2 markers to around 260-280 helps keep those shots from breaching the 300 fps mark...which BTW, equates to about 202 MILES PER HOUR. Safety must be your first concern here, guy.

Also pick up a few bottles of paintball marker oil. Basically, it's pneumatic machine oil. Put a few drops in the hole of the  ASA [Air Source Adapter]....where you screw in the bottle...remove the barrel and shoot it 3-4 times. This coats the seals and O-Rings with oil. Do this about every 800 shots.

I looked around the www for almost a YEAR...trying to find bulk material in German Fleck. The ONLY spot I could find it was the actual military manufacturer in Berlin. To ship it here would have cost me $90 per yard...and in the way I make my Kilts, I need not less than 4 yards.

The field I attend has a yearly "weekender" called The Invasion of Normandy [aka I.O.N.] and there's a ton of vendors...including one surplus guy. This guy has TONS of crap.....loaded out from an 18 wheeler. That's where I saw the tents.I opened one and thought, "hrm. I can cannibalize them for the material in their centers."  I got a deal when I asked him, "If I bought 20 halves [10 full tents]...cost?" Originally at $20 per half, he gave them to me for $20 per full tent.
The edges are riddled with 2-sided buttons, metal grommet rings and nylon tie-downs because they also doubled as "ponchos." I was able to get a 45" path from the center of the tents and sew them end-to-end to make a long 'bolt' of material.

The only issue I have is the inside of the canvas is coated with latex. That's what makes it waterproof....but also holds in heat. I used a hot jerky knife blade to heat-scrape a lot of the latex off. It's still a warm garment in the summertime though LOL!
If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
Flectarn Kilt...  German camo on a Scottish military uniform?  Impressive Druid!

Offline Kikstand

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »
I played for a good long time a while back.
I did fairly well in woods, rec, and a little speed and air ball with my good ol tippman98 with pmi barrel,  revolution hopper and centuri bolt.
Good times.....I miss playing.

~~Dave

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »
I think it should be legal to paint ball anyone you see texting and driving.........Gon na need a LOT of paintballs....LOL
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
Tee-hee ...hello Druid ....
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 12:01:47 AM »
Flectarn Kilt...  German camo on a Scottish military uniform?  Impressive Druid!

Lol....yeah well...like I said earlier...I have always played in a Kilt and I originally started out on the Allied side in the I.O.N. game/D-day
emulation event. The Canadian Scots Regiment played a fairly big role at Sword Beach in the true historical archive...but as I got older ,
I got tired of hauling 60 lbs of gear across the 150 yard, simulated beach-landing sequence from "Saving Private Ryan." Getting transported
into the deep-fields via bus was more appealing as I hit the 35 yr old mark...LOL. My Scenario Team Captain loved my choice of outfit but
was adamant about "historically correct" camo gear. They all wear German Fleck from that era and wanted me to at least try to "fit in"
in that manner....lol.

Playing paintball in a Kilt is incredibly liberating. I mean literally, the freedom from tight and binding pants or cargo shorts cannot be overstated.
You can instantly squat down without the need of cinching up your pants legs to clear your knees - and the running abilities are also way more
unrestricted than you think. You can achieve a much greater stride with running from 40 players intent on pelting the crap out of you at 20bps
from 200 round hoppers...or if you happen to see opponent "ranking officers" out in the field and you mad-dash to eliminate them....lmao!   

I played for a good long time a while back.
I did fairly well in woods, rec, and a little speed and air ball with my good ol tippman98 with pmi barrel,  revolution hopper and centuri bolt.
Good times.....I miss playing.

~~Dave

Yeah man....I've had so many different markers and hoppers over the years, it isn't funny. My favorite set ups though...have to be my Stage 5 Ions
with Halo hoppers or AKA Viking with 12V Revvi hopper. All of the markers I've ever had [that had interchangeable barrels] had the Freak barrel
systems on them. you just can't beat that barrel system IMO.

I think it should be legal to paint ball anyone you see texting and driving.........Gon na need a LOT of paintballs....LOL

LOL.