Author Topic: Cleaning a chicken  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Cleaning a chicken
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:47:06 PM »
While I'm on the subject of chickens, I thought I'd offer this.
Mainly for folks who never had to deal with getting THIS....

To look like THIS:

I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Cleaning a chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
We used to do 100 meat chickens a year.    Once everyone is assigned a duty it wouldnt take long.   I had a chicken plucker machine...  and that was my job the first time.  THey wouldnt let me do that job again...I was having too dang much fun with that plucker... ha ha ha....        My dad had come up with his two little girls ( 4 and 6) and I just found out a few weeks ago how badly I terrorized their lil brains by splatting wet chicken feathers at em.... ha ha ha....     That and the one chicken that ran after them after the head was off......  ya.. that mighta dun it.... 

I just learned not that long ago how to get that keel bone out...   I love that technique.  Especially for brick chicken on the grill.  :)

WW.   

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »
.... That and the one chicken that ran after them after the head was off......  ya.. that mighta dun it.... 
Don't take it lightly. My Dad was "chased" by a headless turkey when he was about 5. He would not eat chicken or turkey to the day he died.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »
Oh nooo....    that had to have been a big impression on his brain.  Poor kid/guy. 

My stepmother did tell me it took awhile to get them to eat chicken again.   The question was before each meal  " Is this one of Marcia's chickens? ".....   

Now I get calls from them asking how to butcher a chicken or fillet a fish.....    They are in their 20's now.

One just called me a week ago..asking how to mark a chick so that her and her friends would know how to tell them apart.    I said.. dunk in different colored koolaid up to their heads.      Dead silence on the other end of the phone......    .....are you serious?   I said yup.       I dont know if they did or not.  LOL

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:23:39 PM »
...One just called me a week ago..asking how to mark a chick so that her and her friends would know how to tell them apart.    I said.. dunk in different colored koolaid up to their heads.      Dead silence on the other end of the phone......    .....are you serious?   I said yup.       I dont know if they did or not.  LOL

WW.
Okay...that's different. What about the molt? Or does it permanently stain the skin?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
They loose the yellow (colored)  fluff and you just dip em again.    They do that around here for Easter chicks.   I wouldnt KEEP on doing it.. but for a few weeks that the girls will have the chicks it would be ok.    The novelty of having them will wear out real soon.   ha ha

WW.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:29:34 PM »
Have you seen those harnesses you can put on Roosters to deposit dye on the hens when they do the jiggaboo dance?    Thats a dye too.   

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »
I remember mom used to mark them with little plastic coils like a couple of coils of a plastic spring that were available in different colors.  They came in red, yellow, green, blue, etc,.....you just spread them at the beginning of a coil enough to wind it on to the chick's 'ankle'.  I don't know if they are available anymore, but  different colors of zip-ties are available at Harbor Freight in a big tube of different sizes and colors that would work the same way.......just cinch one up enough so the chick's little leg has room to grow and yet won't slip off and then clip off the excess tail with a pair of sidecutters.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »
I remember mom used to mark them with little plastic coils like a couple of coils of a plastic spring that were available in different colors.  They came in red, yellow, green, blue, etc,.....you just spread them at the beginning of a coil enough to wind it on to the chick's 'ankle'.  I don't know if they are available anymore, but  different colors of zip-ties are available at Harbor Freight in a big tube of different sizes and colors that would work the same way.......just cinch one up enough so the chick's little leg has room to grow and yet won't slip off and then clip off the excess tail with a pair of sidecutters.
I remember those plastic coils. Haven't seen 'em in years. The zip-ties are a great idea. I've been wanting to band these new birds we're getting.