Author Topic: THE BASIC FLOUR BARREL  (Read 20561 times)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Re: THE BASIC FLOUR BARREL
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2013, 10:57:05 PM »
Thanks Wolfy! I enjoy just thinking about doing these up... I can almost smell 'em!

(And by the way, I was serious about enjoying all the comments - this is truly a warm and fuzzy thread! Just the kind of stuff I missed the most...) :thumbsup:
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2013, 11:01:43 PM »
Thanks Wolfy! I enjoy just thinking about doing these up... I can almost smell 'em!

(And by the way, I was serious about enjoying all the comments - this is truly a warm and fuzzy thread! Just the kind of stuff I missed the most...) :thumbsup:
Being a carbs junkie, nothing says 'warm and fuzzy' better that the smell and taste of fresh bread right out of the oven.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »
One of the reasons my wife married me is because I'm so warm & fuzzy O:-)     I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the thread & just proves that old Pillsbury jingle must have some merit.....Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' from the oven! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2013, 07:55:56 AM »
Long time, no see, Professor!.....& once again, I find myself in your debt for the valuable addition to one of my threads! 8)

As I said in the OP, the recipe I have came from some unknown Scouting-related, pre-internet source that one of our group of Scoutmasters came up with & handed out at one of our camp planning meetings.  I googled 'Bisquick Recipes' before starting the thread and find that there are lots of interpretations out there to choose from.  I decided to go with what we used because I knew that it worked and the 'group recipes' I'm bringing to this thread came with that faded, blue, MIMEOGRAPHED, (Whippersnappers will have to google that term ;D) & oil-spotted copy that I came across in my 'archives'. :-[

I found a similar "flour barrel" recipe in a Dutch oven cookbook; and it, too, had slightly different proportions of the main ingredients.  I also like the small cookbooks that were published  by the makers of different brands of baking powders, because they have so many different recipes all using the same basic ingredients.

Another way to make a basic mix was all measured "by hand."  Use one mounded hand full of flour, a 5-finger pinch of sugar, a 4-finger pinch of baking powder, and a 3-finger pinch of salt.  Use enough water to make a dough, then shape the dough into biscuits on a floured corner of a canvas tent flap!  Don't worry about shortening; just bake your biscuits in a frying pan with a little bacon grease.

Keep those "flour barrel" recipes coming!

...and I'll see you soon!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2013, 08:33:19 AM »
Professor, would you mind explaining that last bit?  The part about baking in a fry pan with bacon grease?  ( I have no idea where this darker font came from).

Am I frying these biscuits, do they need to be flipped like a pancake then?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »
Professor, would you mind explaining that last bit?  The part about baking in a fry pan with bacon grease?  ( I have no idea where this darker font came from).

WW.

You could bake them in a regular oven, put a lid on the skillet and pile coals on top, or you could stand the skillet on edge by the fire to bake the tops.

One guy showed building your fire between and atop 2 parallel logs spaced wide enough to allow the skillet to sit between them. A green stick across the logs tilts the skillet handle up and gets lots of heat on the biscuit tops.

You could also flip them; that's the way I do bannock over some slow coals, and on the kitchen range at home, too

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »

WW.

You could bake them in a regular oven, put a lid on the skillet and pile coals on top, or you could stand the skillet on edge by the fire to bake the tops.

One guy showed building your fire between and atop 2 parallel logs spaced wide enough to allow the skillet to sit between them. A green stick across the logs tilts the skillet handle up and gets lots of heat on the biscuit tops.

You could also flip them; that's the way I do bannock over some slow coals, and on the kitchen range at home, too
Tip your skillet, but also tent 1/2-2/3 of it with foil to create a "baker's oven", AKA reflector oven.

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »
This thread really got me thinking! I remembered a small cookbook I bought several years ago at an antique shop.  It is called 77 Recipes using Swift'ning Make Your Own Mix which is about the same as Wolfy's Flour Barrel.  Since it was published as an advertisement, you can guess that it uses quite a good quantity of Swift's shortening: 2 cups of Swift'ning to 9 cups of flour.

Some of the 77 recipes are a bit repetitious, like corn pancakes and corn waffles.

Here's a good one, though:

Baked Fudge Pudding

1 1/2 cups of Wolfy's Flour Barrel
1/2 cup of sugar
2 Tablespoons of cocoa
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add water to make a thick batter, then pour into 8 x 8 inch baking dish ( or a small Dutch oven)

Over this batter sprinkle 1/4 cup cocoa, 3/4 cup of brown sugar and pour 1 1/2 cups of hot water over all.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

While cooking, the cake (kind of like a brownie) comes to the top, and a rich fudge sauce migrates to the bottom. This is one of my favorite recipes, but it is RICH! Eat it warm with some vanilla ice cream. 

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:42:25 PM by Professor »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
Now, THAT sounds good!  Of course, one would need a large tankard of cold milk to accompany it :thumbsup: :cheers: (yellow tankards filled with cold, frothy milk) ;D

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »
Yes, cold milk is very good with it! A similar recipe is also in the 1950 Betty Crocker Cookbook and I have found it in Bisquick cookbooks, too.

I have made this several times at camp in a Dutch oven with good results.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 03:22:56 PM »
OK,KK, 8) here's the next recipe on the list using the Basic Baking Mix.....

COFFEE CAKE USING BASIC BAKING MIX

3 Cups Basic Mix

1 Cup Sugar

1 Egg

1 Cup Water

Blend this mixture and pour into your greased Dutch oven....a 12" is about perfect for this recipe.  Then in a seperate bowl mix together:

3/4 Cup Brown Sugar

4 Tablespoons Butter

2 Teaspoons Cinnamon

Sprinkle this topping as evenly as you can on top of the cake batter and bake in a moderately hot oven for around 30-40 minutes.  If you like chopped pecans, add these toward the last half of the baking period, as they tend to get a little too brown.  This is a 'coffee' cake, but it's pretty danged good with a tall glass of good cold milk, too! :thumbsup:

Wolfy,  not to steal your thunder,  but Your coffee cake sounded too good to not hurry up and make one,  however I didn't have enough "baking mix" made up to fill the whole recipe,  so I took some artistic license and used all purpose flour and made a few slight changes.
  For anyone wanting to make Wolfy's wonderful coffee cake with plain flour at home in your oven, you can give this a try.

2- cups of All Purpose flour.
  1/2- cup of sugar.
  1-1/2 teaspoons of Baking Powder.
  1/2 tsp. of salt.
  1 Lg. egg.
  1/4 cup of melted butter.
  3/4- cup of milk.

Topping:

4 Tbsp. of melted butter.
   1/2- cup of brown sugar.
   1- teaspoon of Cinnimon.

Drizzle:

4-Tbsp. of confectioners.
   3-Tbsp. of water.
   2- drops of Vanilla Ext.

*  Blend Topping mix together and set aside.
  *  Mix dry cake ingredients with milk, egg, and melted butter.
  *  place batter in a buttered and floured baking pan.
  *  pour Topping over batter and using a wooen spoon handle swirl the topping mix to work a little into the batter mix.
  *bake at 375F. for 30 ~ 35 minutes,  check for doneness with a tooth pick.

* after the cake cools,  mix the drizzle and using a spoon, drizzle over the top of the cake.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:50:30 PM by Moe M. »
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
Sounds GREAT, Moe!   I'm glad you 'modified the 'Basic Mix' recipe......that's kind of what I'm hoping people will do with these VERY basic recipes that were supplied on that old mimeographed handout that I found.  Artistic license and a bit of imagination, like you used there & the Professor added above, makes these simple recipes a 'foundation' for better end results!  Thank you for the tips and ideas!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2013, 06:17:11 PM »
Sounds GREAT, Moe!   I'm glad you 'modified the 'Basic Mix' recipe......that's kind of what I'm hoping people will do with these VERY basic recipes that were supplied on that old mimeographed handout that I found.  Artistic license and a bit of imagination, like you used there & the Professor added above, makes these simple recipes a 'foundation' for better end results!  Thank you for the tips and ideas!

Thanks Bud,  it's your recipe,  and you were the inspiration,  you know me well enough to know that it's tough for me to post recipes because I learned to cook from my folks, they never measured anything,  and they were always improvising to suit what we had in the pantry,  so when I post recipes here I have to make it and measure the ingredients first before posting.
  My oldest daughter moved out to Arizona about a year and a half ago,  and she get a little home sick once in a while,  she skipes with my wife a few times a week and has been bugging me to send her some of my recipes,  I haven't done it because she's not a cook, she follows directions,  there's a difference,  I honestly don't know what to tell her for measurments,  with me it's a little of this and palm full of that,  a pinch and a dash.
  So today she calls and says she needs my "recipe" for my Chili "Now",  I told her "here's my best guestimate,  good luck",  I should know in a couple days.   :)

I really didn't change your recipe,  I just did how I was tought,  improvise with what you have,  my wife is not a coffee cake person,  but she loved it,  some of the kids were coming for a visit tonight,  when I asked her how she liked it,  she said to hide it so the kids don't see it.   :) 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2013, 09:55:29 PM »
... I honestly don't know what to tell her for measurments,  with me it's a little of this and palm full of that,  a pinch and a dash.
As one pre-X-Gen to another, here ya go, buddy:

http://bladesandbushcraft.com/index.php/topic,6922.msg125812.html#msg125812

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »
Tonight I made a homemade chicken noodle soup and it was a bit on the watery side.  I thought of your flour barrel mix and went looking for my bisquick box. :)   The dumpling recipe on it says 2 c. mix and 2/3 cups milk.   I cut it down to one cup mix and used 1/3 cup water instead.  I wanted to know if it was something I could make out of a bannock or your flour barrel mix idea to make dumplings in just boiling water or water with a bullion.   They turned out really good... using water instead of milk.   So now if I make your flour barrel mix and have only that in a baggy with me in the great outdoors I know I could at least make something to fill the belly with warm dumplings in boiling water.  I just hope I'd have some bullion with me.

Oh ya..  10 mins on top of boiling water and 10 mins under cover on simmering water.   :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Yes, that FLOUR BARREL recipe works great for dumplings....we use it all the time when we boil up a chicken & vegetable soup/stew in the Dutch oven or even a covered pot.  Sometimes we add a little dried chopped parsley to them, too......adds a little color and flavor. :)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2013, 04:40:56 AM »
ahh.. parsely  that's the little 'something something' my dumplings could have used.  :)    Maybe a pinch of poultry seasoning too....   darnit now I gots to make more... :)

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:17 PM »
OK, gang....this is the last of the recipes in the list that I can read legibly.  The end of the page didn't copy so well and it's faded besides.  Ol' A.B. Dick didn't intend for his copies to last forever, I guess. ???

CAKE USING BASIC FLOUR BARREL MIX

4 Cups Basic Mix

2 Cups Sugar

2 Eggs

1 1/3  Cups Water

2  Teaspoons Vanilla, Lemon or Other Flavoring

Beat the eggs & add them to the other ingredients, then beat the batter well to get rid of the lumps.  Pour in a greased and floured Dutch oven.  Bake in a medium hot oven for about 30-40 minutes and test with a sliver of wood to see if it comes out clean.  The top should spring back when you press it with your finger on top when done.  Frost with your favorite frosting after cooling on a rack.

We used this basic cake mix for baking pineapple upside-down cake, too.  Just add pineapple rings to a butter & brown sugar mix in the bottom of the oven before adding the batter.   Used it for fruit cobblers, too.  Use your imagination for other things you can dream up for desserts.....have fun with it!

That's all I can read here on the old mimeographed sheet, so add any other recipes here that you can come up with that you like.  Most all of the Bisquick recipes you find on the 'net are fair game & will work fine with this BASIC FLOUR BARREL MIX, so feel free to add them.  The more, the merrier!  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:tent:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »

This is turning out to be a great thread,  I think it's especially important for folks that are just being introduced to the ways of the trail,  and maybe a help to those who aren't comfortable trying to actually cook real meals over natures heat but instead boil water and add a package of dried stuff.
  Ingredients like Wolfy's basic flour barrel mix can be used in so many different cooking applications it's one of those things that everyone should be knowing of,  matter of fact this thread ought to be a Sticky at the head of this section.

That said,  show me a woods bum that hasn't tried to get a good Bannock recipe to suit his specific tastes,  we add a little sugar,  some put nuts and berries in it,  still others will add Cinnamon and raisins,  all because Bannock is pretty darned bland all by itself,  but it's bread, and who doesn't like bread.
  Being set in my ways I don't fool with Bannock,  mainly because I never knew what bannock was until I started reading into "bushcraft",  it turns out that I've been making it since I was  kid,  we just called it biscuits or dumplings,  and we made it mostly with Bisquick or a home blended mix such as Wolf'y Flour Barrel Mix.
  I'm perfectly happy with the way I make mine the same boring way all the time,  although I have made a slight change now and then they still end up being the same "Drop Biscuit" recipe that I got from my folks when I was barely big enough to reach the top of the kitchen counter.
  Biscuits to me are a staff of life thing,  sometimes you get hungry, other times you just want a comfort snack,  for me that's usually some drop biscuits,  it takes a couple of minutes to mix and only 10 minutes in a 425 F. oven,  or 15 minutes in a make shift camp oven by the fire,  or you can pan fry them in your favorite skillet.
  My favorite way to make them is starting with about a cup of backing mix,  add a quarter cup of real Stone Ground Yellow (or white) corn meal,  a pinch of salt,  and a shake of Mrs. Dash,  then I use milk enough to make a thick batter or loose dough, which ever suits you (in camp I use water), once mixed use two teaspoons (one to scoop up the batter,  the other to roll it off into your baking pan,  they are done when the tops are golden brown and crispy,  I like mine with cool butter.

** however you season your "drop biscuits" is up to you,  but try adding the cornmeal (stone ground), it's really worth it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2015, 06:30:53 PM »
PEANUT BUTTER DROP COOKIES

2-1/2 cups of the BASIC FLOUR BARREL mix
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp. oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350*....medium oven

Combine all ingredients.  Stir until well blended.  Drop by teaspoon on ungreased baking sheet.....a pizza pan works good in the Dutch oven or just bake 'em right on the bottom of the D.O.  Sprinkle with sugar (optional).  Bake 10-15 minutes.  Keeps the munchkins happy! ;D

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:59:50 PM by wolfy »

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »
That sounds like a great recipe Wolfy. And thanks for bumping this thread, I need to make up a batch and give the mix a try, so much easier than taking all of the base ingredients on an outing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2016, 02:10:14 PM »
You can substitute the recipe mix in THE BASIC FLOUR BARREL baking mix in the OP for store-bought baking mix, like that from Bisquick or Jiffy Mix, too.  I just bumped the Jiffy Mix thread because they are putting out a revised FREE cookbook and thought this would be a good place to put the ordering information, too.  I just received my updated cookbook and if it wasn't below zero outside, I would be preheating my Dutch oven, right now! :drool: :thumbsup:

http://www.jiffymix.com/bookorder.php

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »
I make tortillas a lot when camping. For every cup of flour add a marble size of lard (has to be lard), a pinch of salt, then add enough water to make a stiff dough that is not sticky. Roll out real thin on a floured cutting board and cook in a cast iron pan (has to be cast iron) that is very hot. In ten or so minutes you can make a good stack. Add a pinch of baking soda and you have sopapilla dough. Roll dough out in a circle ( the dough can be a little thicker than for tortilla) cut into quarters and fry in hot lard or any cooking oil.
Nice matters

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2016, 01:51:15 PM »
Haha! Another "Energizer Bunny" thread!

I just discovered an awesome bread recipe that should be easily adapted to campfire cooking.  Instead of the "poor man's Dutch oven" in the recipe, we could get really radical and use a REAL Dutch oven.  :P

So...here's the procedure for this no-knead bread formula:

12 oz warm water
1 tsp bread yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cu all purpose flour. (I prefer unbleached 'white' flour myself)

TWO standard sized baking loaf pans. Grease one lightly (this is the bottom pan), and you just need to grease the upper inside edges of the 2nd one (this is the top to your 'Dutch oven'). Set aside.

Warm your mixing bowl so as not to cool off your water
Pour the warm water into the bowl. (no more than 90 deg F so you don't kill the yeast)
Add yeast, salt and flour.
Mix it together into a stiff batter. I like using the handle of a wooden spoon, instead of the blade end.

Cover the bowl and put it somewhere warm, away from drafts for 1 1/2hrs for the dough to 'proof'.  It should double in volume.
Use the spoon handle again to 'degass' (beat down) the dough.

Roll the dough into the bottom loaf pan. Cover with the other pan inverted and clamp the ends with metal document/paper fasteners.
Let it proof again for about 30 minutes.

Bake at 400 deg F for 30-35 minutes.
Remove top pan and bake another 5-10 minutes to form a golden top crust.

Excellent texture for all sorts of sandwiches, grilled cheese, or French toast.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
this thread NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!!!!!

do you hear me 'Creek? seriously, sticky already, it's about BREAD man!
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »
FYI....some of Bradford Algiers books are $.01 cent......Plus $3.99 shipping....guess the prices went down....
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0811717178/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2018, 07:05:06 PM »
This recipe fits a standard 12 inch Lodge Dutch oven.  It works great for a family or a couple of tents full of Scouts.  :camp:  :camp:

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

1 cup Basic Baking Mix
1 lb. breakfast sausage
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium red pepper, diced
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups milk.....powdered works OK
1 lb. frozen cubed hash browns, thawed
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)
salt and pepper
Grease & preheat a 12 inch Dutch oven. 

Cook sausage first.  Then add onions and red peppers.  Cook until sausage and onions are lightly browned.  Drain and set aside.  In separate bowl, blend eggs, milk and baking mix.  Pour the mix in with the sausage mixture, hash browns and 1 cup cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Mix well.  Pour back into Dutch oven.  Bake 25 - 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese and return to oven until melted. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:29:45 AM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »
Well it sounds good.  I am on a diet so everything sounds good.

With a Dutch Oven and this recipe how many coals do you put on top?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »
Well it sounds good.  I am on a diet so everything sounds good.

With a Dutch Oven and this recipe how many coals do you put on top?

I really don't know because I gave up counting briquettes long ago.....I concentrate more on percentage of lid coverage and follow the creed of the 'ring method,' which is MUCH SIMPLER and works EVERY time with briquettes or hardwood coals.   Think more of spot placement and keeping the coals AWAY from the center of the oven's bottom AND top, because those are the areas that will cook faster and burn first.

Go to post #146 on page 3 of the 'stickie' DUTCH OVEN CAMP RECIPES where you will find a chart on heat control in ALL sizes of Dutch ovens.....shoot for a temperature of around 350-400 degrees for this recipe.

The chart should show up here, too.....

http://www.susquehannaironmasters.com/uploads/1/4/1/1/14111788/1351873538.jpg