Author Topic: Camillus/Les Stroud Signature Knives - Arctic Passaround  (Read 16128 times)

Offline JTD

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
Camillus/Les Stroud Signature Knives - Arctic Passaround
« on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »
I've had a few older Camillus knives and loved them, and I've always liked watching Les Stroud's survival shows.  So when I found out he was signing off on some signature knives with the new Camillus label.. I said hey why not?!   The Arctic knife seemed the most bushy knife, so I bought one..   

I gave it a try, and figured I'd see if anyone else wanted a go at it?   

If so lets get a passaround going..

:D

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
Re: Camillus/Les Stroud Signature Knives - Arctic Passaround
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:34:08 AM »
Just a bump. 

I've don't have the time to give this knife a workout, too much going on this fall but I appreciate the offer.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:36:56 AM »
My life is getting back to normal..i'd be interested if other are. Appreciate the opportunity.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »
I got some bows to shape out and trim down, I'll give it a go. What steel did they use?
Spyder
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Switchblade

• Mill File+
  • RP #492, Beckerhead #15
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:24:36 PM »
I wouldn't mind to give it a good workout. ;)
"If it's not broken, don't fix it"

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 07:19:14 AM »
The blade is stamped Carbonitride Titanium.  Whatever that is?!  Its was made in China so I would bet its the same stainless that Gerber claims. 

Well let the pass-around begin. 

UTC PM inbound.   

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »
Spyder, pm me your shipping info so I can get this knife to ya.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
The blade is stamped Carbonitride Titanium.  Whatever that is?!  Its was made in China so I would bet its the same stainless that Gerber claims. 

UTC PM inbound.   

That's a coating, similar to the coating they put on drill bits. It helps with wear resistance on the finish, but the part on the edge won't survive the first time the blade is sharpened.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
Pm sent creek.

Ok guys, tell us what you think of the blade and what you put it thru. Has anyone touched up the edge or do you want it touched up JTD?

I'll give it awork out.

Thanks for doing this JTD.

Spyder

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »

UTC PM inbound.   

That's a coating, similar to the coating they put on drill bits. It helps with wear resistance on the finish, but the part on the edge won't survive the first time the blade is sharpened.

Just seen this responses.  Thanks for clarifying PW. 

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »
Who's next JTD?  I guess I'm finished playing with it. I'll get the review going shortly and post some photo's.
Thanks,
    Spyder
Zig Ziglar

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 06:35:34 AM »
  I'll bet these things become very collectable, eventually.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »
Ha! You guys didn't break it?!

Anybody else, wanna give it a go?

Offline Switchblade

• Mill File+
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »
I wouldn't mind to give it a good workout. ;)

I'll quote myself...
But then, again...

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »
PM me your address and I'll get it out to you.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Camillus/Les Stroud Signature Knives - Arctic knife Pass around
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:32 AM »

OK,  this is the gear review section,  we've had 14 posts and not one word of review on the Les Stroud series,  what's up with that ?    ???

Here are some of my views (not from the pass around),  I've had a chance to see and "feel" the Les Stroud Mountain Ultimate Survival Knife,  and I've seen the Arctic version,  a while back in another thread I made the remark that this series of knives closely resembled the Gerber Bear Grills series of survival knives,  after comparing the two of the models from Camillus and Gerber my opinion hasn't changed.
  I did a review a long while back on the Gen. 2 BGUSK from Gerber,  the one with the partially serrated blade,  I put it through some very hard use testing and took the then unpopular stand that it was a pretty good knife for the money and that the sheath and other accessories that came with the knife were also of a decent quality, although the belt loop on the sheath was crap,  I cut it off and replaced it with a leather belt loop and it made a world of difference.
  What I've noticed with the Camillus Les Stroud offering is that while there are subtle differences in the knives they aren't enough to judge the two as different designs,  I'd go so far as to suggest that they are made by the same factory and likely by the same parent company,  I could be wrong of course, but that's what it looks like.
  First I compared the blade design on the Les Stroud Arctic survival knife and their Mountain Survival knife to the two Gerber BGUSK knives and found that they are the same 4-5/8ths inches long, same width,  about the same thickness,  and both wear the same type of blade coating,  both are made of 440 stainless steel (as listed by both companies), both knives come in plain edge or partially serrated edges,  both have a striker on the spine of the blades for striking a ferro rod,  though the strikers are basically in the same place on the Gerber's and on the Camillus they differ in shape,  and of the serrated portion of the blades the Bear Grills knife has a bit longer serration (about 1/2 the blade edge) while the Les Stroud knife has a bit shorter serrations (about 1/3 of the blade).
 Moving on to the handle,  both knives have the same feel,  they are not exactly the same shape but the rubber type coatings on the handles appear to be identical,  the pommel ends are both made to be used to hammer things lightly,  both are shaped about the same way but the BG knife looks to be a bit stronger.
 The sheath in my opinion is where the Les Stroud knife really differs,  while both (LS and BG) are made of a combo of plastics and nylon webbing,  the Les Stroud knife looks and feels like a cheap after thought compared to the BG sheath.
 I also found it odd that Camillus would use the same language in naming their LS knives that Gerber did with the BG series,  calling them the Ultimate Survival Knives.
 I haven't handled any of the smaller model fixed blades or folders in the series,  but in viewing the pictures of them they appear to be very similar in design as well.

I haven't had the opportunity to test the Les Stroud in the same grueling tests that I put the BGUSK through,  but because of everything that I've touched on I expect that they would stand up to testing about as well as the Gerber series.
 My final thoughts are that both are decent knives for the money especially as entry level knives for beginning bushcrafters on a budget,  and they would make excellent back up knives for a survival knife to store in your truck or car,  or in your BOB for emergencies.
 If I had to choose between both garishly colored knife systems I'd have to go with the Gerber BGUSK,  I think one knife is as good as the other,  but the sheath and accessories are a lot better with the Gerber,  and both retail for about $40.00 dollars.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
Nice comparisons Moe.
I've not ck myself but I thought the BG was carbon not SS. One of the guys that works with me carries the BG everday and really puts it through the wringer.
He dropped it in a deep drill shaft the other day and went right out and bought another. It takes a good edge and is easy to sharpen. Don't know much more than that.
I still have the LS, waiting the next person that wants to try it.
I'll get to posting a full review soon, This is our busy time of the year to be outside and I have a lot of projects in the works, so not as much time to be on line.
Creek did a full review, separate from this thread when he did finished the test.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
JTD,
If the offer is still open and if shipping to Canada is not a problem, I'd give it a go and post a review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline rtaylor129

• Whetstone +
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »
If you are still looking I would give it a go

rtaylor129.blogspot .com
Banned for trying to scam members and lying.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
Nice comparisons Moe.
I've not ck myself but I thought the BG was carbon not SS. One of the guys that works with me carries the BG everday and really puts it through the wringer.
He dropped it in a deep drill shaft the other day and went right out and bought another. It takes a good edge and is easy to sharpen. Don't know much more than that.
I'll get to posting a full review soon, This is our busy time of the year to be outside and I have a lot of projects in the works, so not as much time to be on line.
Creek did a full review, separate from this thread when he did finished the test.

I wasn't complaining about the lack of actual reviews, my comment was made in fun,  but I do expect the Camillus will be on a par with the Gerber BGUSK,  the Gerber is Stainless with the same type of coating as the Les Stroud knife,  personally I still don't know why they bother to add the coating,  it does wear off under use, so what the sense,  although it may be less expensive than finishing and polishing the blades ?
 Gerber doesn't list what the knife steel is that they make the BG series out of,  but a call to Gerber's USA customer service lists the steel as the Chinese equivelent of 440 Stainless steel,  the two that I tested did take a good edge,  and the edge holding ability was very good considering the cost of the knife,  I was also surprised that the serrated edge holds up as well as it does,  I had thought that it wouldn't and had planned on grinding the serrated edge down (kind of on the Tom Brown tracker design) once it wore out, but it's actually still very sharp and works really well for making fuzz sticks.
 I don't use the BG knives as my main carry knife,  but I keep one in my wifes car kit,  and the other in my pack for when I need a beater knife rather than use my carry blade, not because it's not a good knife,  it's more about my dislike for neon colors.     :lol: 

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 03:57:07 PM »
Yea guys, all of you can have a go at it.  Just keep passing it around. 

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 04:13:21 PM »
Nice comparisons Moe.

I wasn't complaining about the lack of actual reviews, my comment was made in fun,  but I do expect the Camillus will be on a par with the Gerber BGUSK,  the Gerber is Stainless with the same type of coating as the Les Stroud knife,  personally I still don't know why they bother to add the coating,  it does wear off under use, so what the sense,  although it may be less expensive than finishing and polishing the blades ?
 Gerber doesn't list what the knife steel is that they make the BG series out of,  but a call to Gerber's USA customer service lists the steel as the Chinese equivelent of 440 Stainless steel,  the two that I tested did take a good edge,  and the edge holding ability was very good considering the cost of the knife,  I was also surprised that the serrated edge holds up as well as it does,  I had thought that it wouldn't and had planned on grinding the serrated edge down (kind of on the Tom Brown tracker design) once it wore out, but it's actually still very sharp and works really well for making fuzz sticks.
 I don't use the BG knives as my main carry knife,  but I keep one in my wifes car kit,  and the other in my pack for when I need a beater knife rather than use my carry blade, not because it's not a good knife,  it's more about my dislike for neon colors.     :lol:

Are you going to see the new Superman movie? It's called "Superman, Man of 8CR13MOV".
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
Been awhile since there was any post on this pass around knife..  Did it just quietly makes its way around? or did RTaylor steal it?
'

I remember Spyder getting this knife after UTC, and mentioning who he was sending it to next, but forgot who it was.  Never seen anything since, but I could have missed it.

:shrug:

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »
oh no.. I can't remember who I sent it too...hang on

Creek

Shew...I sent it to spyder! I hope we can find it. I'm sure he sent it on.
Axes Rock!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
  Somehow I posted in the wrong topic.

Deleted.

ETA: I hope ya get your knife back.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:15:12 AM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 07:44:56 PM »
Bob, JTD is the owner and the OP in the knife thread. Not sure, who it goes to next, check with JTD, I think switchblade, yeoman and one more mentioned they would like to try it. Have fun.
Graylan

Yep, JTD, I sent it to RTaylor :(
Zig Ziglar

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 07:58:34 PM »
Damn :(

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
Can anyone PM me his email?  I just checked his blog, but couldn't find contact info.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »
No email, but here's his address in case you want to send Guido over to make him an offer he can't refuse. :[

Sorry Wolfy but I had to edit it out. I'm sure you understand.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:23:40 PM by PetrifiedWood »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »
Thanks wolfy.  No need to send the muscle in!  Sadly it only takes one b hole to up a fun thing like passing around a knife.  Had a bad feeling he got ahold of it after what all recently turned up.  Regardless if anyone gets his email I'd like to send him a nice letter thanking him for stealing my knife.  :thumbsup:   

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
Copied from another forum.  Have no idea if these are any good.

Emails:

Same here. I am sorry you guys got scammed by this guy, but we can't risk posting personal info on the site. He's been permanently banned and that's the best we can do from our end.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:25:55 PM by PetrifiedWood »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 08:44:48 AM »
Well, that stinks. :(

I was gonna pop in here and suggest that if this knife makes it to Canada on a pass around, that I'd get in on it's Canadian tour. If us Canucks all went after each other, it would at least save someone the price of sending back and forth across the line.

But, well, that's all a moot point now, isn't it? Sadly.

Dagnabbit. :pissed:

EDIT: I knew I was too late. I guess I meant for next time.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Switchblade

• Mill File+
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 03:09:05 PM »
Yes, I would be interested as well, if a pass around would make its way into Canada.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »
Yes, I would be interested as well, if a pass around would make its way into Canada.
We could, you know, make our own... IF there's enough interested Canucks.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »
Knife thieves might get cut by the knives they steal, if there is any justice...

Offline Switchblade

• Mill File+
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »

Now, that sounds like an idea!
Perhaps we should post a "feeler" thread somewhere to see how many Canucks would be interested.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »

Now, that sounds like an idea!
Perhaps we should post a "feeler" thread somewhere to see how many Canucks would be interested.
Done. In the "Canada" subforum.

Offline OhCanada

• Mill File+
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
Not into this passaround but here is some inside industry info.

One hiking magazine (I think Backpacker but I am not sure) showed a photo of a Viet Nam backpacking factory that had a shelf unit and each shelf was labeled with a well known backpack company. The one company made backpacks for several US companies with some of the better companies having onsite people to watch over the production.

I worked at a local flour company and saw bags of brand name flour being filled then along came the store brand bags of flour and without a stop or even a slow down the store brand bags were being filled with the same flour. My job was to check that the bags were glued closed by the machine and then put the bags on a pallet. I have met people who worked at a pickle factory as well as another person who worked at a T-shirt company and both people report the same thing.

So, it would be no surprise if one Chinese company is making knives for several American companies. Once your factory gets known as being able to meet the demands for one American company, then it is natural for other companies to seek out your factory due to your proven track record.

Personally, this knife series looks like complete junk from a design stand point. Les is good at doing TV but has shown clearly that he is not a knife guy. He just liked to try production knives on the show that you can get from your local Canadian Tire or Walmart; he was going for a true "common man" approach.
BushCRAFT, it is what you do, not what you buy.

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »
Not into this passaround but here is some inside industry info.

One hiking magazine (I think Backpacker but I am not sure) showed a photo of a Viet Nam backpacking factory that had a shelf unit and each shelf was labeled with a well known backpack company. The one company made backpacks for several US companies with some of the better companies having onsite people to watch over the production.

I worked at a local flour company and saw bags of brand name flour being filled then along came the store brand bags of flour and without a stop or even a slow down the store brand bags were being filled with the same flour. My job was to check that the bags were glued closed by the machine and then put the bags on a pallet. I have met people who worked at a pickle factory as well as another person who worked at a T-shirt company and both people report the same thing.

So, it would be no surprise if one Chinese company is making knives for several American companies. Once your factory gets known as being able to meet the demands for one American company, then it is natural for other companies to seek out your factory due to your proven track record.

Personally, this knife series looks like complete junk from a design stand point. Les is good at doing TV but has shown clearly that he is not a knife guy. He just liked to try production knives on the show that you can get from your local Canadian Tire or Walmart; he was going for a true "common man" approach.

Sometimes looks are deceiving, that's why I offered to pass this knife around.  No real way of telling how it functions unless you can handle it. 

Regardless the knife was stolen by Rtaylor, so there is no need being interested in the pass around anymore anyways...

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »

Regardless the knife was stolen by Rtaylor, so there is no need being interested in the pass around anymore anyways...

Unless, of course, someone returns the knife.

Return the knife.

It is a Good idea.

Think long and hard. Karma is, "what goes around, comes around". Don't be a thief. Return the knife to the one who sent it to ya.

Just do the "right thing"!

Edit: I went back to look for an address from here
No email, but here's his address in case you want to send Guido over to make him an offer he can't refuse. :[
Sorry Wolfy but I had to edit it out. I'm sure you understand.

& I see it was deleted, so my efforts to visit & assist in the knife being recovered is less than likely now. Can't visit when ya don't know where to go.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:55:37 AM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »

It's OK JB,  Karma being what it is he'll probably cut himself bad with it reminding him that he shouldn't have stolen it in the first place,  and even if he doesn't,  he's not getting past St. Peter without paying dearly for it.    :doh:

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
I believe in Karma as well.  When it comes to knives I'm definitely not into having bad juju!   

Anyways I was able to contact RTaylor, and asked him to return this knife.  To my surprise he responded, and said he would.. 

Since that was good enough for me to no longer believe it was stolen, I told him don't worry about it and to consider it a giveaway. 

Hopefully it serves him well.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »
I believe in Karma as well.  When it comes to knives I'm definitely not into having bad juju!   

Anyways I was able to contact RTaylor, and asked him to return this knife.  To my surprise he responded, and said he would.. 

Since that was good enough for me to no longer believe it was stolen, I told him don't worry about it and to consider it a giveaway. 

You are a kind man. May your kindness in this situation come around & bless you many times. I really mean that.
:thumbsup:

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:06 AM »

You are a kind man. May your kindness in this situation come around & bless you many times. I really mean that.
:thumbsup:

Yup, much nicer than I would have been in the same situation.  Although I think he was full of about his offer to return it. 

Then again I'm a suspicious type.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
It's a bit unrelated, but I am currently awaiting a paypal claim resolution for some hobby parts I bought about a month ago at a price that was just a bit too good to be true. ($25 for something that normally goes for around $100.)

There are a lot more people in the world than there are scruples to go around.