Author Topic: Any rednecks here ?  (Read 63834 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Any rednecks here ?
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »
Okay I might be a Hillbilly I'm not too sure. I am sure that we know how to have fun on the weekend. This was a few weeks ago. We are doing it again tomorrow with a ton more rain the last couple days. It should be interesting. I have pics of A friend's Cherokee that was buried in my woods. We had to use a highlift to get it high enough to put supports under the tires. Still needed a tractor to get it out.

I hope you can enjoy the video. He's in 2 wheel drive just showing off...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:26:08 AM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Any renecks here ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »
Love mud boggin'. Don't love digging out. Hahahaha!

P.S. You might want to edit the title of this thread. You either left out a "d", or I need new glasses. ;)
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Any renecks here ?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:21:52 AM »
I wasn't aware I could be renecked.  Mine works okay but its good to know that they can do that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
Re: Any rednecks here ?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »
Thanks OP. The pics didn't show?

Before...

after...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
Not mud bogging but I have been know to spend too much time at the local short tracks.  I'm not a real redneck as I hide my Serra Nevada Pale Ale under a budwiser cozy so no one is the wiser.   Son in law has been trying to get me to get a car ready to race for next season.  Problem is I don't have anything that can tow a car to the racetrack anymore.  He and my daughter both race and last big race of the season I think his family had 22 cars at the track. 

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »
I wasn't aware I could be renecked.

This renecked don't spell to good neither.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 09:31:28 AM »
Bumper mounted winches are a boy's best friend.  :P That's quite a pickle your friend got in.
Before I had a winch, my rule-of-thumb was to go in 2x drive until I got stuck, then get out with 4x drive. Hahaha! If you get stuck in 4x drive, you're pretty well stuck.  ;)
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
Looks like the typical drive to town from the farm before the township graveled all the RFD routes. :-\.   Sometimes the ruts would get 'split' so many times and the ruts so deep that Dad had to abandon the '46 Willy's Jeep and hook up a flair box David Bradley wagon behind the chained-up 'M' Farmall to get my brother & me to school in the Spring when the frost went out of the ground!  I don't remember it being all that much fun, though. ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 10:17:58 AM »
Dang.. I'm a redneck and didn't know it.   That pretty much looks like my driveway in the spring.  LOL    I don't bother to wash the car until late June. 

We have a steep hill here in the woods and one winter I was pulling the four wheeler home on the trailer.   Got just about to the top and lost grip.  I started to slide backwards.  And since there was a trailer back there we kinked.. bad.   Hubs was bent outta shape about it.   I just got on the four wheeler, drove it off the trailer and went to the top of the hill with it. I parked it so the front was tight against a tree facing the van.   I hooked the van up with the winch and pulled the car / trailer up the hill.   Dang proud of myself I was!!    Stuck my tongue out at hubs and wouldn't talk to him the rest of the day.  humph.

Personally I think a dirty muddy truck is a Happy Dirty Muddy Truck. :)  And I'm pretty sure the driver is grinning too....

Edit:  Oh ya , Wolfy.. the spring frost heaves.  I forgot about those.  I've seen cars sunk down to the point of doors not being able to open with those puddin' holes.   Our road isn't toooo bad...  might loose a muffler or hubcap, but thats about it. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »
Naw! Ain't no rednecks around here. Got some decent trucks though!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »
Nice Truck!  Even I can appreciate the usefulness of that baby.....   

Does it come with one of those awesome little tractors like Hushnel got?  :)    If so.. I'm asking Santa for one....   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »
That is pretty hard on that aluminum ramp.  But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

That is a nice Chevy in the last truck photo. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline ncnurseryman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »
Creek, what hear is your truck.  Ive got an '86 model that look just like but not quite as nice.  Its got a dump bed SK she's staying with me.

Offline ncnurseryman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »
Well I meant year, not hear.  Anyway.  I just noticed your truck is 4 wheel drive.  Nice.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
It's a 89, k3500, auto, air, 80k miles. pretty cool ole ride.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 07:25:11 AM »
Yeah Creek. Very clean. You don't see them much up here. I have a GMC I plow with. I got it cheap with a broken frame and no title. '83  350 4 bolt. headers and an Edelbrock carb. Here is the wrecked body but the driveline is awesome.

Harbor freight has a 12,000 lbs winch on sale right now for $299. If I had the cash....

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 07:49:35 AM »
Time to clean the windows. Front one anyway. Let em cool down fer a bit too.....

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 07:55:26 AM »
Mud Boggin is big up here, we don't have the big rock crawling trails PA has. This is an even that was going on the same day. We were bored and came back to my place. Their place was a drag strip with mud on the surface. These trucks were designed for real deep stuff...

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »
This is my F350 at the Hannibal mud bogs. This is their parking area. Across the road from the actual mud pit. This is an '03 with 53,000 miles on it. That Tritan V10 is HEAVY!!!!!!!!!

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »
Maybe not a true boggin pic but fun never-the-less, a few yr's back some friends of mine invited me down to Paragon in PA to run some of the easy crawlin trails, after a few hr's bouncin around we decided to cool off in the water...lol....

"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »
Yeah buddy. That looks like hummer lake or the end of it. I used to belong to Jeepsrus. We helped build a lot of the trails there. Rattlesnake was my favorite. For folks that don't know this was the best off-road park on the east coast.

Kyle knosp ran the place and was kicked out for breach of contract that was B.S. and an excuse to turn the place into an industrial park. Hummbolt if you search it.

Kyle now owns The Badlands In Attica IN. The second best off-raod park LOL.

Man you brought back a ton of memories. I have a million pictures of that place. I remember my last ride there was the 911 Benefit for the families who lost loved ones in the towers.

I had a friend follow me through that and wasn't as lifted. the water came into the intake right behind the left headlight. it hydrolocked the inline six and it put a rod through the block.

I parked my jeep on the side of the road and loaded his on my trailer. We took it to a friends house who was doing the engine swap.i got back to my jeep at midnight, luckily still there in one piece loaded it up and got home around 4am.

Good friends, good people, and good times. That's what makes life worth living. You can keep your fancy cars and big houses.

My favorite pic from Paragon.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:42:38 AM by xj35s »

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 09:57:38 AM »
While I did not know Kyle, my friends Dean and Lynne were friends of his and his wife...I've got a few more pics scattered thru-out cyberspace of Paragon if I come across them. Good to hear he was able to open up another park.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »
I love the mud pics! I used to get all dirty when I was a tad younger. I try not to get too dirty any more, but I will. The K35 weighs 8200lbs with 80 gals of fuel. Big fun!!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »
That is a lot of truck. hard working all day and knight. The f350 is 7,000. Sinks like a rock.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
Redneck?  Yeah, I are one.   8)

'necks and hillbillys are not always one and the same though.  We have thousands of rednecks here in Florida, dang few hills. 
I have been known to have driven my old 4Runner into some bad mud, but never just to give it a go.  I am usually trying to get from point A to point B.  Sometimes sand or mud is in the path. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:30:58 PM by Mannlicher »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »
I think I'd hit that with a hella-lotta speed!!!

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 08:23:20 AM »
I wasn't aware I could be renecked.

This renecked don't spell to good neither.

Then I'm a redneck for sure...   :P

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 12:36:34 AM »

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 04:16:29 AM »
That's a great old film zammer

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 06:52:18 AM »
Very cool. All that in two wheel drive. I cringed a little when the guy put his hand out to keep it from tipping into the bank when they were in that ditch.

I remember a model a commercial where they drove up and down stairs and all over. Jeep made some nice ones too back in the day.

Thanks Zammer.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 07:56:35 AM »
Thanks for the memory, zammer!   Before Dad bought the Willys, we relied on a Model A Ford to navigate the muddy roads in the Spring.  The thing was unstoppable.....the high clearance and narrow tires negated the need for 4WD.   As evidenced by your video, it was a machine built & well-suited for the road conditions of the times. :)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
We spent over $1500 to get our '03 cavalier inspected. It was a small leak in the evap system. Had the dealership fog the system to find the leak and it took replacing alomst every component on the car. That I could have done without the fogging.

I told my wife I was going to buy an Old Model A and strip it. Herculiner everything, then put it back together and drive it for the rest of my life...

But being a true redneck, It would probably turn out something like this....

I'd have to add a gun rack, a roof top carrier tent, and old conveyor belts for front fenders. You know those fenders are gonna catch a tree or two.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:18:08 AM by xj35s »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
We Hosted our first Mod Bog event. We raised over $200 for a friends daughter to help her get to the world scout jamboree in Japan in 2015. We asked for a $5 per person and had Chili and Baked Ziti for free. I think they got their moneys worth.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
I get too much of that during the winter to enjoy it for myself, but some folks like it ???   

City Boys, mostly! :lol:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2013, 02:13:11 PM »
Naw! Ain't no rednecks around here. Got some decent trucks though!

Creek

that's not a redneck truck creek... it's to clean  :P
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »
I get too much of that during the winter to enjoy it for myself, but some folks like it ???   

City Boys, mostly! :lol:

" You cook good rabbit pilgrim".

I get too much of it too.  I got so stuck trying to get a mineral barrel across the creek a few years ago I needed my neighbor to bring his truck over and with two trucks and a 100' of steel cable we pulled out a Land Cruiser I had that was buried up to the top of the wheel wells.  He went around all summer telling folks I drove where people liked to fish.   :-[
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 04:55:14 PM »
I drove where people liked to fish <-----  :rofl:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 08:36:55 PM »
A good friend of mine and I went to the regional market. We found 3 US GI Jerry cans for$20. Two were in good shape we each kept one. The third was in very rough shape.

A true friend, he takes it to work and sandblasts it, cuts the rust out, and welds it back together. He did this for a fuel tank on my 69 CJ-5 project.

I think he went above and beyond anything I could have expected. This guy is an artist and doesn't realize his talent. The more I look at it the more it screams "Rockabilly", "Rat Fink", and "Rat Rod". A 1960's feel for a true put together with parts on hand Rat Rod Jeep.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
Before pics..

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »
Here is an update. I have had this full tube chassis for almost 10 years. I am now getting it finished for this year.
 The Entire driveline is out of my 87 Cherokee.

The front dana 30 has welded spiders and 2002 Grand Cherokee knuckles/hubs/disks/double piston calipers/cross over steering.

The rear is a Ford 8.8 out of an explorer. factory limited slip. This will be 4 link rear. I have the ends and the nitro shocks. I need the DOM tubing. Ordered just waiting for it to arrive.

I designed the transfer case mount on a CAD program and A friend cut it with his CNC machine. Turned out well. It is top mount because I have a giant skid pan that covers the entire under side.

The Cherokee shell weighed 1800 lbs. the naked tube chassis weighs 400 lbs. It's going to be 1400 lbs lighter!!!

The KEG is the fuel tank. I ave two. one will be for air from the on board compressor. The gas tank will be labeled "The main event" and the air tank will be labeled "The after party", Since we use it to air the tires back up. I run 8-12 psi off-road. 24 on the street on the Cherokee anyway. I chalked them for even tread wear.

The only engine compartment picture I have...

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »
awright  yah crazy s. lets go.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
Piles of snow in the foothills today...that's when rednecks travel!

was actually nice to get off work early

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »
Nothing I like better than driving around in the midst of a bunch of rednecks in their 4WD vehicles that see snow & ice about once every 10 years! :taunt: :popcorn:

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »
I guess I coulda took the Subaru :)

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Malcolm

• Mill File+
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2014, 06:37:20 PM »
In recent years, the "Redneck" term has been expanded to include an even broader range of positive attributes and I will gladly confess to a few.  "Mudding" brings back some bad memories, though.  I recall needing help to get a 2WD truck through muddy roads during hunting season, pulling others out of bog holes with my PTO winch and giving up on a trip because I - probably - didn't have enough vehicle to get through a bog hole created by others.  That's not to say that I didn't enjoy a good challenge decades ago; I still recall proving that sagebrush does make a good winch anchor and I had forgotten the Model A's reputation for being virtually unstoppable.  Back to the more positive, "Redneck" has also been re-defined to being more patriotic, hard-working and self-reliant than many others, so I - hopefully - deserve that term.

Offline Lamewolf

• Whetstone +
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »
Do you really know the true meaning of the term "Redneck" ?  Do some research on the Blair Mountain War around Matewan WV in the 1920's to find out more.
Lamewolf
Manu Forti

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
Presbyterians? :shrug: :rofl:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »
Do you really know the true meaning of the term "Redneck" ?  Do some research on the Blair Mountain War around Matewan WV in the 1920's to find out more.

Well I'll be damned... I never knew that!
Thanks 8)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

They wore red bandanas and called themselves 'Rednecks'!

I always thought that it came from folks working out in the fields and getting 'Rednecks' from sunburn :shrug:

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell. Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.
Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell. Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.
Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Interesting!

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk