Author Topic: "Tweeting Grandpa's diaries of trapping in the Northwest Territories in 1929"  (Read 1032 times)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Found this on boingboing.net. Pretty cool. I don't know how it'll read in tweet form, but I'll try and follow along anyway.

Quoth:

Derryl Murphy writes, "Several years after my grandfather, Bud Murphy, passed away, I'm going through boxes of stuff I was given after his funeral and found some - not all, sadly - of his old diaries from when he trapped in the Northwest Territories from 1929 (when he was 18) and on with his father. I'm tweeting his diary entries in chronological order and accompanying those with photos he took from back then, as well as notes about where he was.

https://twitter.com/TrapperBud
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Twitter??? You gotta be kidding me. The guy should set up a blog.

I've had a project on hold since 1986. I have 13 volumes of my Grandfather's journals that cover a period of about 50 years. Transcribing them for the benefit of the great-great-grandchildren is still on my bucket list.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Twitter??? You gotta be kidding me. The guy should set up a blog. ...

Yeah... I know. :-\

I've had a project on hold since 1986. I have 13 volumes of my Grandfather's journals that cover a period of about 50 years. Transcribing them for the benefit of the great-great-grandchildren is still on my bucket list.

Wow! Now that's what I call a family treasure. :)
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."

Wow! Now that's what I call a family treasure.
Well, some of it's pretty boring, and mostly like a diary, but what I wanted to extract is that he has detailed entries of every big game hunt he went on from 1946 through about 1960.
Plus, I have his files that contain all his hunting stories. He was quite the wannabe writer, and wrote a story about each hunt when he got home, on his old manual Royal typewriter. He titled each one, like The Ghost Goat, and The Old Man of the Woods, about the moose that almost killed him.  What ties it all together is that being his protege, who inherited his rifle, I also am in possession of all his mounted trophies, including The Ghost Goat.  ;D
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!