Author Topic: 2013 Kracaneuners Potts Preserve Outing  (Read 8784 times)

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
2013 Kracaneuners Potts Preserve Outing
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:09:42 PM »
Just finished up a 3-day with the tribe at Potts Preserve Wildlife Management Area in Inverness, FL.

Weather was mild-to-chilly for for a Florida cracker (70-high, 48-low) & we had a lot of folks both too sick to come and too sick to stay the whole time. Props to the folks who came out to participate, despite having more than enough reason to stay home under the covers.

As always, a good time was had by anyone with a pulse  O:-)

The event was organized by SaintNick & just for the record .... he was the first at the campsite, and was there before noon.

Unfortunately, there were some earlybird groups at the area and we didn't get the traditional waterfront site .... well, not initially, but that not something I want to incriminate certain parties on  >:D

Without further adieu ... some pics;

Entrance to the site ...

"Day Area" along the entrance route that doesn't appear on the map. The site had a covered shelter, fire pit, boat ramp and small water level pier. When we came in, there was a group with about 10 tents using the area. We'll have to do some research on what that is & who can use it.

We ended up taking a site just to the left of the direct water access site (the "normal spot") & set up shop...

The area was a good mix of woods and open area & there was plenty of open space for activities. The site has a well-serviced & modern compost toilet, which was a nice plus. The area was also pet friendly...

As usual, nobody starved  >:D 

The menu included.....stuffe d peppers, venison sausage, burgers, corned beef & cabbage, cinnamon rolls, biscuits, hand-rolled pretzels, keilbasa, bacon, bacon-wrapped filet mignon, grits, meat-on-a-stick, nachos, salsa, brownies, cheese, cookies, fresh picked beans, home made breads, asparagus & probably some other stuff I missed...

When we weren't eating or just hanging out, we did get some bushcrafty stuff in ...

Our bushcraft offerings were deemed sufficient and we were graced with a visit & blessing from the fire monkey god ...

Due to scheduling conflicts & the limited time of some of our folks, we didn't get to do the yak/canoe expedition up Gum Slough, but we did get some line-in-water time;

Most of the time was spent with good friends, doing what we do best;  enjoying the outdoors, sitting around & catching up with what has been going on since last we met ...

Thanks again to SaintNick for putting this together and for everyone who came & did their part to make it memorable.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:35:44 PM by acara »
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
Re: 2013 Kracaneuners Potts Preserve Outing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
awesome pics and post acara
you folks sure know how to live :)....still theres something inately wrong with wearing shorts in november...at least in my brain there is :(
thanks for sharing....great to see Max the wonder dog along :)...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 07:57:13 PM »
Looks like you all had a great time judging by the smiles and FOOD!   ;)

I love Max's squat, I haven't see many westerns sit like this.    :D

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
Looks like you all had a great time judging by the smiles and FOOD!   ;)

I love Max's squat, I haven't see many westerns sit like this.    :D
Gotta admire a guy who knows the comfort of a practiced Kim-Chi Squat.  :thumbsup:

Looks like a great family outing. Looked like a giant helping of great eats, with a little camping on the side.  ;D
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »
Looked like a good time with some awesome people and great food!
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:17:01 AM »
Great write up man! I'll post up the couple I took in a little bit.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 04:57:42 AM »
I really enjoyed the weekend.  I missed a lot of members who were doing family stuff or sick. 

I got a beat down by a 4 year old with Yurtle the Turtle (well...I did throw him in the river first.  :banana:)

Acara got me to back off my "no table scraps" for Max.  He looked at the left over beef stew and kept looking back at us in disbelief, "It's really ok to eat this?"  Max and Sasha got reacquainted with a moment of snarling, teeth, and kangaroo boxing to establish boundaries, then all was fine.  No blood was drawn.

The fishing was tough with the overhanging branches, but I think Nick's boy caught his first fish with the help of Swamphanger.  THAT is a big moment.

It was wonderful to see boys allowed to be boys.  Wrastling and throwing a ball and chasing each other.  There was some self education about fire ants...

We have so many good campfire cooks.  You can't buy a lot of this fare in any restaurant.  I'm so far outa my league I don't even try.  But I'll keep thinking about what I could possibly add to the feasts.

Great people,  great weather (Acara and I just dirt bagged it by the fire.),  great food,  great camp. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 05:23:43 AM »
Looks like another great camp I missed. Thanks for sharing the pics Acara.

It is good to see Spyder walking around without the crutches. I also liked the pic with Spyder carving on a piece of wood with 5 or 6 axes laying around him.

The food looked great as usual, meat is always on the menu.

To bad you all didn't get to make the trip up gum slough. I was hoping to make the trip last time we were there and didn't make it.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:33:13 AM »
I'm always amazed at the get-togethers you guys put on down there!  Those are some  great pics and really catch how well you all get along-great job :thumbsup:

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 07:11:31 AM »
The fishing was tough with the overhanging branches, but I think Nick's boy caught his first fish with the help of Swamphanger.  THAT is a big moment.

Wait. What!?! Did I miss that?
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 08:02:21 AM »
Nick, thanks so much for putting this camp together. Loved the site, right on the river, beautiful. Such a great group of folks to spend time with. Weather was great, warm during the day and a little crisp at night, perfect Florida camping weather.

It was great seeing Swamphanger and St. Nick again. I enjoyed seeing your sons playing together, they were both full of energy, very respectful and extremely well mannered, welcomed at our camps anytime. Spyder, Cindie and Sasha, it was great seeing you all again, Spyder, great to see you getting around on that wounded knee. Cindie, I loved those stuffed peppers, you've got to send me that recipe. Curt, thanks for the excellent food and conversation. Tony, as always, great seeing you again, still can't get over your ability to just curl up next to the fire and sleep, you and Max are both hard core. Red it was great seeing you again, I know you felt like crap, but hung in there through that first night, hope you're felling better now. Madmaxine, we missed you and hope you're feeling better as well.

Here are a few pictures:

Spyder doing a little carving, there's a Kuksa in there somewhere

St. Nick doing a little batton practice

Acara working on his sharps

Late November river swimming.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:11:05 AM by Yellowyak »

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 08:07:42 AM »
Pretty sure there was shrinkage involved in that last pic.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:15:49 AM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 08:29:45 AM »
Pretty sure there was shrinkage in that last pic.  :rofl:
Understatement. That water was FREEZING. And yes ladies. That's me in my skivvies. Nice, huh?
I took 0 photos.  :shrug:
Thanks guys for making this another great trip. Weather was great. Company was great. Food was great. Can't ask for much more. Thanks to the guys who could just make the one night. I know it was a long trip for just a little time out in the woods but Asher and I really enjoyed the company.
Red/Kelly - Hope you guys feel better soon. Thanks for sucking it up Red. Means a lot that you made it even though I would have stayed home.
Acara - Always nice to see you. First to show, last to go. Always fun hanging out with you.
Spyder/Cindy - Great to see you guys again. Thanks for cooking and teaching and whatnot. The deer sausage was killer. Wish I had saved room for that burger.
Yellowyak - Our newest member. You've fit in from the second you showed up. You're such a great person to hang out with and your camp baking is second to none.
Swamphanger - Thanks again for making it. You ad such a chill environment to camp and I look forward to hanging with you soon. Our sons had a lot of fun. I'm sure they will cause much trouble at camp in the future.
And Tony. I hate you. That water was freezing and you're an ass. And yes, I've got a cold now.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »
Heh heh..

BTW.  I have a little man's personalized water bottle whose initials are WR.  I'll keep it safe.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
Thanks Tony we we're half way home and he told me.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »

(Acara and I just dirt bagged it by the fire

Sorry my friend, but I'm the only one who dirtbagged it Saturday night ...

You just slept in the dirt ...

No worries though, I'm going to take advantage of cyber-Monday to shop for a velcro-sleeping mat retention system for you this Christmas. Either that, or we're just going to have to go with duct-tape ...... or maybe use the body stapler to keep you in place during the night  :drool:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »
Maybe I've taken the primitive a little too far...dirt, foam, mattress... meh.

First thing Kelly asked was, "Did you sleep in the dirt again?"
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »
Buahahaha. That's great. :)
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
Looks like the Kraks make up for the lack of food on the pot and knife trips by going all out on the regular camps!  :drool:

Looks like an awesome time!

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
Maybe I've taken the primitive a little too far...dirt, foam, mattress... meh.

First thing Kelly asked was, "Did you sleep in the dirt again?"

I'm big on "live & let live", so I'm not telling you sleeping in the dirt isn't the best thing since sliced bread ......

... just suggesting you stop fighting the inevitable & save the time/space by not packing 3 bags and 4 pads (and a tent), since your just gonna end up in the dirt anyways  O:-) O:-) O:-)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:03:23 PM by acara »

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
First thanks to all for taking photos, I'm another one who carried a camera and didn't remove it from the bag.
Thanks Nick for putting this great get together on at a wonderful place. Wish we could have stayed longer and paddled that area.
It was a very relaxing time for me and much needed time away from the house, before I went stir crazy.
Thanks to all for making this a time to remember and was so good to see everyone again.
Next get together I hope to be more involved and as a reminder that's Buck Lake Jan. 10-13, 2014, just a month away.
Spyder
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
Thanks Nick but for the record Asher didn't catch a fish. As soon as I got them set up they started doing something else. New buddies for sure Wyatt told his Mom all about the fun he had with him. We will surely make some more trips together. Everyone was great and food was the best.

Offline lowcard1

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »
Looks like another great outing. Glad to see yall cooked some bacon. Man I cant wait to see everyone again.

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
Jeez, guys... Don't you think you're taking the whole "roughing it" thing a little far?  Sure everyone got enough food? ;D
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 06:25:46 AM »
We go to smooth it. Not rough it.

Offline mibuwulf

• Whetstone +
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 08:44:11 AM »
Fishing?! Knives?! Hammocks?!  The?!

Man that looks like a good time.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
We go to smooth it. Not rough it.

For sure. Looks like you all had a great trip. Thanks for sharing, guys.  :)
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 11:08:39 AM »
Looks like another great outing. Glad to see yall cooked some bacon. Man I cant wait to see everyone again.

Hey Bud, we missed you as well. Hope you make Buck lake. Jan 10-13.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 03:46:49 PM »
Thanks Nick but for the record Asher didn't catch a fish. As soon as I got them set up they started doing something else. New buddies for sure Wyatt told his Mom all about the fun he had with him. We will surely make some more trips together. Everyone was great and food was the best.

Man I hope Asher didn't spill the beans to his Mom.  She'll never let him camp with me again... :-[
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 04:45:10 AM »
I am so envious.  While y'all were on the water, camping, sitting 'round the fire, I was dragged, kicking and screaming, to Thanksgiving evening shopping, Black Friday shopping, and more on Saturday.
I hate that crap, but if the wife and daughter are going, it's not a bad idea when in South Florida,  to be along for their  security.  Sigh............we sure don't live today,  in the America we grew up in.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 05:23:20 AM »
Did Asher at least show mom his new upside-down trick?

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 06:32:55 AM »
Did Asher at least show mom his new upside-down trick?
Yeah, she was blown away. I was wrestling with him last night and he even requested it. You guys are good.
You guys are also a bad influence. Yes, Tony. He told her all kinds of stuff. It's ok though. She didn't really like you too much before this trip :) Something about swimming in the river with snakes, gators and amoebas.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 07:19:32 AM »
Crud.  I knew he would.  I'll brace myself for a big slap upside the head when I meet Mom.

But everybody needs an eccentric uncle...  :banana:
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »
Crud.  I knew he would.  I'll brace myself for a big slap upside the head when I meet Mom.

But everybody needs an eccentric uncle...  :banana:

It's also very comforting to have you as a safety net on these types of things...

If I do something questionable, I just have to hope nobody notices for 10 minutes and you'l inevitably do something that will make them completely forget whatever it was I did  O:-) O:-) O:-)

I like this arrangement ...LoL

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »
I'll either get arrested or Baker Acted...again...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »
I am so envious.  While y'all were on the water, camping, sitting 'round the fire, I was dragged, kicking and screaming, to Thanksgiving evening shopping, Black Friday shopping, and more on Saturday.
I hate that crap, but if the wife and daughter are going, it's not a bad idea when in South Florida,  to be along for their  security.  Sigh............we sure don't live today,  in the America we grew up in.

We all let that slip out of our hands a long time ago my friend,  we were all too busy enjoying the good life to pay attention to the wizzards behind the curtin,  now I'm afraid it's too late to just wish it away,  it's going to take a lot of work by a lot of people to get that America back,  if it's at all possible.   :(
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline U.W.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »
Looks like a great time with some great folks!  Good to see the young'ns out taking part for sure.

Thanks for sharing,

u.w.