Author Topic: 1 Potato 2 potato...  (Read 1607 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
1 Potato 2 potato...
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
Here is an interesting web site.  For those that don't know. Potato's need only about 6-8 inches of stalk to grow. They will grom much larger but it stops/slows the taters growth. We didn't use any container. I just added a bunch of dirt to the mound around the stalk/stem. We have had 15 potato's per plant.

I want to bury a large diameter pvc pipe vertically into the ground. I'd like to rig a pulley system to raise and lower a bucket full of taters. They should keep well at ground temps all winter.

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2013/12/successfully-grow-potatoes-tires.html
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: 1 Potato 2 potato...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
..3 potatoes more...  :)

I tried doing the tire thing one year... snakes LOVE that warm rim on the inside. Kinda took all the fun out of reaching for new potatoes.

The best potato gardening I did was mowing straw down to tinier bits and stacking it around the plant.  Did that about four times in the season and had wonderful potatoes.   

I like that winter idea you have...  please take pix as your making this?  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
One of these days I will have to clean out all the mouse poop and sanitize my root cellar, then put a new door on it and chink up all the cracks to make it rodent proof. It would be nice to be able to store some supplies down there. Would be perfect for potatoes.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
That's a nice root cellar. If I ever come across a cheap(free) shipping container I'll bury that. I've seen folks use refrigerators buried in side hills too. I think that would hold too much moisture though.

I have a bunch of cinder blocks, I just need to figure out a good roof. I would like to find a large chunk of side walk to set on top. Maybe a rebar and quickcrete job will work....
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
Here is an interesting web site.  For those that don't know. Potato's need only about 6-8 inches of stalk to grow. They will grom much larger but it stops/slows the taters growth. We didn't use any container. I just added a bunch of dirt to the mound around the stalk/stem. We have had 15 potato's per plant.

I want to bury a large diameter pvc pipe vertically into the ground. I'd like to rig a pulley system to raise and lower a bucket full of taters. They should keep well at ground temps all winter.

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2013/12/successfully-grow-potatoes-tires.html
I thought I posted some pics of the potato bins I made in 2012, but I can't find the thread.
Anyway, I constructed bin with slats in the front. As the plants grew, I added dirt and another slat. Eventually I had a bin filled with 2 feet of compost and supposedly a 2' high stack of spuds in there somewhere.  Hummm.... I had Yukon Golds in the top 10" of soil, and nothing below. The other bin had a type of "finger" potatoes (the name escapes me), and produced from top to bottom in the bins. It may be that some varieties are better suited to vertical growth than others.

Like WW, my best (and easiest) potato experiment was piling straw over the hills, ultimately to a depth of about a foot. Lift up the resulting mat, and the spuds are mostly right on the surface of the dirt.

Root cellars! Ah.... Ironically, the reason I first started visiting 'survival' websites nearly 4 years ago was looking for cellaring info. I've learned a lot, and also picked up a couple very good books on the subject. My root cellar now is insulated and 12' x 8' with appropriate shelving.
My disadvantage, which I was slowly forced to acknowledge, is my climate here. My "frost line" in the winter can extend down five feet! Whereas some folks have to worry about keeping their cellars cool enough, I have to worry about keeping it warm enough in the winter.  The old time root cellars around here that were constructed over the past 100 years have at least 6 feet of soil on top of them!
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
I remember my grandparents' "milk house" in West Virginia.  It was a two story affair built into the side of a hill.  The upper story was just general storage, but the first story is where they stored all of their home canned goods or anything needing to be kept cold.  A "U" shaped rock/concrete structure was built up about 3 feet high with about a 4-6 inch lip all the way around creating a trough about a foot and half wide. A natural spring was piped into the trough and all the canned goods were stored in the there.  Overflow from the trough went into the creek in front of their farmhouse.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:06:17 PM by imnukensc »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
I wish I had a good stream on my property. I went white water rafting in Murphy NC. The water is a constant 54* year round. That'll keep the beer cold!!!