Author Topic: B.O.B. Blade, Black G10 Grip.  (Read 11430 times)

Offline Adahy

• Whetstone +
  • "I am Groot"
B.O.B. Blade, Black G10 Grip.
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »
This is a new TOPs B.O.B I recently picked up. Will be looking forward to testing it out soon. Anybody familiar with this blade? Seem like a tuff knife!

[/URL][/img]

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:11:03 PM by NickChillADAHY »
AKA NICK-CHILL

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
Re: BOB blade
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
I don't have one. TOPs makes a good knife if not a little thick. Have some fun with it and let us know what you think.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
Re: BOB blade
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »
 have the mini scandi neck knife and I love it. I've been carrying it everyday and carved a lot with it. it is still razor sharp with just a few strops on my leather.

Spyder
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Adahy

• Whetstone +
  • "I am Groot"
Re: B.O.B. Blade, Black G10 Grip
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »
Yeah,  it's got more weight than some, especially than like the Mora types. I am hoping it adds to its usefulness, that the "weight is worth it" kinda thing. I own a few knives and I gotta say I really like this one (so far)...should be interesting.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:09:49 PM by NickChillADAHY »
AKA NICK-CHILL

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
Re: B.O.B. Blade, Black G10 Grip.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »
I had one around this time last year. Madmax and Hushnel both loved it.  I ultimately sold it on here, I didn't care for the fake scandi grind, and really didn't wanna put the effort into converting it to a true scandi. Great knife, very comfortable even in extended use. If they made it in stainless, and with a real scandi grind, I would buy one tomorrow :thumbsup:
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »
I've been looking at TOPS knives more and more lately. They have some pretty good looking designs. I can think of four or five off the top of my head that I wouldn't mind owning and this is one of them.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline pgallagher6

• Vendor
  • Whetstone +
    • BestBushcraftKnife.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 06:39:02 AM »
That is an outstanding blade for the price.

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 06:50:32 AM »
I didn't care for the fake scandi grind.
Scani with a bevel at the edge? That seems kinda pointless.
I really like the look of it. Sort of a combat bushcraft knife.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline pgallagher6

• Vendor
  • Whetstone +
    • BestBushcraftKnife.com
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »

Yeah, this seems like the trend.  Take a "tactical" flare to a traditional blade geometry.  ESEE, TOPS, and even Bush Monkey.  Look for the micarta, TORX screws, window smasher, and saber grind or secondary bevel.  I'm not knocking it, it's just an interesting trend.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »

Yeah, this seems like the trend.  Take a "tactical" flare to a traditional blade geometry.  ESEE, TOPS, and even Bush Monkey.  Look for the micarta, TORX screws, window smasher, and saber grind or secondary bevel.  I'm not knocking it, it's just an interesting trend.

Good point,  I've often wondered where or why the lines got blurred between Tactical and Woodsman styled knives,  being someone who grew up spending as much time in the woods as I have and most of it using traditional hunting knives or 18th and 19th century styled blades,  I have a hard time understanding where the appeal is for black teflon coatings,  skull crusher pommels,  black plastic handles,  and plastic sheaths,  I could see a need for such fighting knives in down town Bagdad,  but in the local woods around home, or in a public owned forrest,  really ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
I like tactical knives. I guess I'm one of those tactical coolaid drinkers. I love military surplus, assault rifles, and the K-bar fighting knife. I don't think the Kbar is very good for a woods knife though. I also don't like plastic sheaths. Leather or nylon sheaths are good for me.
Maybe somebody wants to make a scandi, stacked leather, combat knife for me...
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 11:17:05 AM »
I don't lump knives into either tactical or woodsman knives. Instead I ask "does it fit the intended use(s) or not?"

Many of what some consider "tacticool" (ESEE, TOPS, Ka-Bar, Ontario) are -excellent- woodsman knives. But, if you are all about keeping up a particular look or appearance with your gear, then you disregard teflon coated blades and kydex.

That's what's great about the hobby. You can use whatever you want, as long as it works for you!  ;D

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »
I don't lump knives into either tactical or woodsman knives. Instead I ask "does it fit the intended use(s) or not?"

Many of what some consider "tacticool" (ESEE, TOPS, Ka-Bar, Ontario) are -excellent- woodsman knives. But, if you are all about keeping up a particular look or appearance with your gear, then you disregard teflon coated blades and kydex.

That's what's great about the hobby. You can use whatever you want, as long as it works for you!  ;D

Normally I wouldn't lump knives into pigeon holes,  I just buy what's interesting, test them and get rid of what doesn't work for me,  but I have noticed more over the last year or so that knife makers and marketing advertisers have been pushing a form of generic style of knife that will appeal to a cross section of knife users.
  This is not a new business model,  the auto industry has been successfully building family sedans with different suspension systems and more powerful engines and transmissions and marketing them as Sports Sedans which appeals to the conservative business executive, and to the working family man who yearns for a sports car but can't afford the cost of a sports car and needs room for the kids and dog.
  So it's the marketing that's blurring the lines between styles of knives,  companies like Tops, ESSE, Ontario,  and a few others who are making tactical knives and marketing them as woodsmans knives,  that causes people like us to have to decide what works best for us but don't know what to call them. 
  What's worse is that it can get confusing,  I just got a Fallkniven F-1,  it's going to be an excellent bushcraft knife,  but it's a tactical survival knife used by the sweedish Air Force,  I have a Becker BK-2 and had a Rat-5 that are supposed to be bushcraft knives and make much better fighting knives.

:shrug:

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 01:33:16 PM »
I suppose we don't have to classify them and just call them knives. Beats me. I guess it also depends on what you consider "tactical."

Annnd... I dunno about you, but I wouldn't want to be the guy using a knife that weighs 1lb+ and has a 5" blade as a fighting knife, lol.  ;D

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
I suppose we don't have to classify them and just call them knives. Beats me. I guess it also depends on what you consider "tactical."

Annnd... I dunno about you, but I wouldn't want to be the guy using a knife that weighs 1lb+ and has a 5" blade as a fighting knife, lol.  ;D

Well,  I'll tell you how I feel about knife fighting,  I have one rule about fighting with knives,  I carry a gun because I'm scared to death about being attacked by someone weilding a knife,  I don't intend to let them get close enough to use it.     :spider:
  I've been there once,  it's not going to happen again if I can help it,  I'll also add this, the majority of injuries and deaths by knife attacks have been done using folding knives with an average blade length of three inches.

Defining a tactical knife vs. a woodsmans knife by looks is as simple as defining an AK-47 vs. a model 94 Winchester,   you can pretty much tell what they were designed for by how they are made.
  While you can hunt with an AK-47,  it's not a traditional hunting rifle,  and while you can go to war with a mod. 94 30/30,  it's not the best choice you could make.

Why do we classify AK's and AR's as assault weapons and Lever acton Winchesters and Marlins as hunting arms,  we could just call them guns,  I really don't have an answer Rog, it's just the way it is,  but it does have a way of clearifying what we're talking about.

Offline Adahy

• Whetstone +
  • "I am Groot"
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »
There are some truly valid points here. I try not to get hung up on names, brands, or advertisement. There are definitely different tools made for specific usage, although things can overlap and get the job done...with that said I would definitely not bring a knife to a gun fight.

Stay thirsty my friends ...

Ps. Here is a pic of my fav things :0)

[/URL]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:47:15 PM by NickChillADAHY »
AKA NICK-CHILL

Offline pgallagher6

• Vendor
  • Whetstone +
    • BestBushcraftKnife.com
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »

Good point,  I've often wondered where or why the lines got blurred between Tactical and Woodsman styled knives,  being someone who grew up spending as much time in the woods as I have and most of it using traditional hunting knives or 18th and 19th century styled blades,  I have a hard time understanding where the appeal is for black teflon coatings,  skull crusher pommels,  black plastic handles,  and plastic sheaths,  I could see a need for such fighting knives in down town Bagdad,  but in the local woods around home, or in a public owned forrest,  really ?

I definitely appreciate workmanship and design.  Humans are extraordinary at detecting inherent quality.  Usually I just have to hold a knife in my hand, and I can instantly judge a certain quality -- the rest becomes personal preference in material, size, etc.

A good example is the knife you sent me.  I can't keep my hands off it!   (I swear I'll post pics soon! ;D)   It doesn't come close to a BK2 or TOPS in terms of how I would ever use it, but I can tell that knife will be with me forever.  The intended purpose of any knife is to turn one thing into two things, which seems to be a very deeply embedded need in our evolution.  But, you could do this with an edged butter knife or a sharpened rock  if you really had to; the rest is really just fashion and the story behind it.  The sensation of independence is intoxicating, and a quality knife combined with a range of experience and skill is probably the most useful tool ever created.  I think that's probably why we're obsessed - especially as our society gets further away from its food, water, and shelter.   People like us recognize a need to hold onto waning skills. 

BTW, "tactics" are just ways of doing things, so the term "tactical" is somewhat misleading.  I was on a tactical law enforcement team for many years, and the knife I used most often was a 3" Camillus pocket knife that I got at a yard sale for $1.  The tip was broken off, but it retained great snap despite its abuse.  Everybody had a high end knife on the team, but I ended up passing that thing to my buddies over and over again because nobody wanted to mess up a $150 knife.  hahaha!  So then what is the purpose of a knife again?

I really like this discussion.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
I had one around this time last year. Madmax and Hushnel both loved it.  I ultimately sold it on here, I didn't care for the fake scandi grind, and really didn't wanna put the effort into converting it to a true scandi. Great knife, very comfortable even in extended use. If they made it in stainless, and with a real scandi grind, I would buy one tomorrow :thumbsup:

The tops Mini Scandi has what I think is a true scandi grind, no secondary edge. Wonder way the BOB has a secondary edge?
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
I bought Red's BOB.  I thought it was an awesome blade!  I believe he scandivexed it, and I liked the grind alot.  The handle was probably the most comfortable I've had from a factory knife ever.  I would still have it if a co worker didn't talk me out of it, after a camping trip. 

Only cons for me with the BOB was; the sheath being a righty only(I'm a lefty), the jibbing was a bit to harsh/painful on the thumb, and it could have used less belly/more of a drop point for fine work. 

Regardless its a fine blade.         

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
JTD is right, it was a "scanivex". They ground it scandi all the way to the edge, then buffed the edge into a convex.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Adahy

• Whetstone +
  • "I am Groot"
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 01:26:04 PM »
Man you guys don't play around and know how to get down to the nitty gritty! Yeah, it's advertised as a "Modified Scandi". So maybe a little harder to sharpen in the field? I am undecided about the sheath. It seems to work well enough but a nice custom leather one would be cool.  I have so many blades and I seem to find at least one thing in each of them that I love and one thing I don't. Damn guess I'll need to carry more than one...buy the way...

I was watching this program the other day about the Alaskan wilderness. This guy kills a bear that has been attacking his cattle. After he kills it, he cooks it (man after my own heart). The bad-ass thing was during the butchering phase he uses like three different knives to do the job. Just kept pulling them out of his pockets... that's what I'm talk'in bout. If you don't feel one can do everything you need, bring another.

:deadhorse:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:46:09 PM by NickChillADAHY »
AKA NICK-CHILL

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 01:42:08 PM »
Man you guys don't play around and know how to get down to the nitty gritty! Yeah, it's advertised as a "Modified Scandi". So maybe a little harder to sharpen in the field? I am undecided about the sheath. It seems to work well enough but a nice custom leather one would be cool.  I have so many blades and I seem to find at least one thing in each of them that I love and one thing I don't. Damn guess I'll need to carry more than one...buy the way...

I was watching this program the other day about the Alaskan wilderness. This guy kills a bear that has been attacking his cattle. After he kills it, he cooks it (man after my own heart). The bad-ass thing was during the butchering phase he use three different knives to do the job. Just kept pulling them out of his pockets... that 's what I'm talk'in bout.

You must be talking about Artts Killter on Alaska the last frontier,  I love that show,  unlike many of the outdoor reality shows on TV today I think those people are the real deal,  it's a tough life,  but they seem to deal with it on their terms.

Offline Adahy

• Whetstone +
  • "I am Groot"
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »
That's it MOE! Man you are not kidding, they are the real deal. I used to visit my brother who had  land in Tenn. Sort of reminded me of it..(of course did not have to deal with the summer solstice) living with an outhouse, no indoor shower etc. Just him and his wife (there were many other couples like that) working farms by themselves. Man it is hard work...his all around blade was an old Buck 110, he did everything with it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:55:16 PM by NickChillADAHY »
AKA NICK-CHILL

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »
That's it MOE! Man you are not kidding, they are the real deal. I used to visit my brother who had  land in Tenn. Sort of reminded me of it..(of course did not have to deal with the summer solstice) living with an outhouse, no indoor shower etc. Just him and his wife (there were many other couples like that) working farms by themselves. Man it is hard work...his all around blade was an old Buck 110, he did everything with it.

Nick,
  Just an aside about the show and the family,  Jewel,  a well known country singer and recording artist is Artts Killters daughter,  and she and her dad sing the lead in song "Alaska The Last Frontier" for the show in each episode.

Offline Adahy

• Whetstone +
  • "I am Groot"
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 10:20:08 PM »
Moe, I had no idea, I know her music... that is very cool thanks. Hey check out this funky pic of me and Hushnel.

[/URL]
AKA NICK-CHILL

Offline Adahy

• Whetstone +
  • "I am Groot"
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »
I apologize for going off track in the gear review section.  Thanks everybody.
AKA NICK-CHILL

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 11:32:45 PM »
Derails are totally unacceptable here! :taunt: :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 06:42:06 AM »
Moe, I had no idea, I know her music... that is very cool thanks. Hey check out this funky pic of me and Hushnel.

[/URL]

Lucky men,  I have a couple of "git-fiddles" that I make some noise with when the mood strikes but I can't play a real note or cord to save my butt,  but several of my kids and grandkids play great,  one of my sons has had his own band and plays gigs on weekends in local pubs,  he started playing Dead Head music and is now into Southern soft rock and classical Country,  one of my grandsons plays in a well known band (more heavy metal) that's made a few recordings and opens for some big names,  and a daughter that's into Harps,  I don't now where they get their musical talents from  (about the best I can do is snap my fingers) and I don't dare ask my wife.   :rofl:

Offline Adahy

• Whetstone +
  • "I am Groot"
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 07:00:58 AM »
Moe-Mike is professional musician, I am just a wanna-be but I believe "Music makes life merrier" so I try real hard. Nice you hear about your kids and grandkids being into music. It's great for them to be able express themselves like that. Regardless of everything else, if we ever get a chance.. we are going jam! 

And thanks Wolfy!! :hail:
AKA NICK-CHILL

Offline Southern Illinoisian

• Whetstone +
  • You and you come with me the rest of you panic...
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »

I was watching this program the other day about the Alaskan wilderness. This guy kills a bear that has been attacking his cattle. After he kills it, he cooks it (man after my own heart). The bad-ass thing was during the butchering phase he uses like three different knives to do the job. Just kept pulling them out of his pockets... that's what I'm talk'in bout. If you don't feel one can do everything you need, bring another.

A'MERICA !!!!
"If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash." - George Washington

Offline zbass

• Mill File
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 08:28:40 AM »
It's my favorite knife. Processes wood as well as my moras & the extra weight makes it a much better chopper than my esee 4 or 6.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »
I have one.  I like the size and shape and the way it fits in my hand.  I have used it only a little but I intend to use it more this spring and summer.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline wturiel

• Whetstone +
    • Round Rock Outdoors
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 07:38:15 PM »
I have one love it.  It's a great all around knife.  I have a full review on my blog I will post the review here when I get in front of the computer.
Exploring texas bushcraft
www.roundrockoutdoo rs.com

Offline wturiel

• Whetstone +
    • Round Rock Outdoors
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »
Here is the link to the review i did on this knife http://bladesandbushcraft.com/index.php/topic,6737.0.html
Exploring texas bushcraft
www.roundrockoutdoo rs.com