Author Topic: 37 Crucial Food Items To Stock Pile!  (Read 8614 times)

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
37 Crucial Food Items To Stock Pile!
« on: December 25, 2013, 11:11:16 PM »
I just watch one of those infomercials online that promotes its product without telling you any information what so ever to help you deduce if it's worth shelling out a bunch of cash for it.  I must admit these people are masters of stringing the customer along I watched it for at least 20 minutes...

Well the interwebs are a wonderful thing I googled, 37 Crucial Food Items To Stock Pile, and came up with the 37 items list.

1. Water
2. Pasta
3. Rice
4. Canned Soups
5. Canned Meats
6. Canned Vegetables
7. Canned Fruits
8. Popcorn
9. Salt
10. Milk (condensed or powered)
11. Cereal
12. Beef Jerky
13. Grains
14. Cooking Oil
15. Sports Drinks
16. Nuts
17. Pickles
18. Dried Fruits
19. Spices
20. Honey
21. Crackers
22. Baking Essentials
23. Power Bars
24. Instant Rice
25. Coffee
26. Alcohol
27. Hard Candies
28. Dehydrated Canned Entrees
29. Juice Powders
30. Protein Drinks
31. Penut Butter
32. Long Lasting Treats (Twinkies, etc...)
33. Salsa
34. Ramen Noodle Soup
35. Fresh Fruit
36. Baby Food
37. Pet Food

The guy in the informercial wanted $97.00 for this list...  The people on this Forum could make a better list for free.  A little research goes along way.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:29:00 PM by WI_Woodsman »

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Re: 37 Crucial Food Items To Stock Pile!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »
Thanks, WI. Pretty thorough list so far.

Certain things like nuts or whole wheat flour will go rancid if they sit too long. If we're not gonna use a bag of nuts up right away, we'll usually stick it in the freezer.
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 11:43:07 PM »
Items 4-7 on your list require a bit more research. Some canned veggies are only good for about 2 years, while other products like canned fish are good for 5-7.
Peanut butter (#31) will go stale, usually in under 2 years, especially if it's in a plastic container, rather than glass.
Virtually all nuts (#16) will turn rancid within 2 years. In the case of peanuts and walnuts it's closer to a year.
And I'm not sure how one goes about 'stock piling' fresh fruit (#35).

The shelf life of the things I mention is only based upon personal experience over a decade or so of storing staples. YMMV. Oh, yeah....and don't let any of those canned goods freeze. If you doubt me, put a can of pork 'n' beans and a can of green beans and a can of corn in your freezer. Thaw 'em out and open 'em up in about a week.

Thanks, WI. Pretty thorough list so far.

Certain things like nuts or whole wheat flour will go rancid if they sit too long. If we're not gonna use a bag of nuts up right away, we'll usually stick it in the freezer.
+1. It the one time it's actually a good thing to freeze your nuts.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 12:09:31 AM »
There seems to be some redundancies in this list, Rice #3 and #24, Pasta #2 and #34, Fruit #7 #18 and #35.

Dried beans are a survival staple along with sugar two items not mentioned on this list...

Tabaco is not a food but is a great barter item.

This list isn't worth $97.00...   :P

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 12:38:53 AM »
There seems to be some redundancies in this list, Rice #3 and #24, Pasta #2 and #34, Fruit #7 #18 and #35.

Dried beans are a survival staple along with sugar two items not mentioned on this list...

Tabaco is not a food but is a great barter item.

This list isn't worth $97.00...   :P

Beans was the first item that stood out as missing for me. Pasta keeps for a while too. Was salt on the list?

EDIT Ok he has salt.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 12:52:17 AM »
These scams always remind me of the guy who put the ad in the Personals that said, "Send a stamped, self-addressed envelope and $1.00 to:

XXXXXXX
Box XXXX
XXXXX, XX 99999

and I will send you the secret to making $1,000 in 30 days."

So when the person who sent in their $1.00 got their "secret" in the mail, it simply said, "Put an ad in the newspaper like the one you answered."

People complained like crazy, but the guy had given them exactly what he promised, and did nothing illegal.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 07:33:39 AM »
My Brother had done that. Even conned me into addressing envelopes for free.

I think half that list could be eliminated with a little planning. You can scavenge nuts and fruits and raise a big garden. A dehydrator is a very good investment.

There are other essentials but I guess this is food oriented. Gasoline is one thing I feel a need to have on hand always.

I can't watch infomercials. I don't have T.V.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »
Damian Campbell of Peak 10 Publishing is the one who put out the online infomercial, he sells the 37 Food Items as survival package of information:

37 Food Items That Disappear Fast   $97.00   
Water Purification Quickstart Guide   $17.00   
Survival Garden Plans                   $19.00   
Off-Grid Survival Power Plans           $49.00   
Survival Food Stockpiling & Storage   $21.00   
Total Value                                   $203.00

Since the advent of the internet and forums like Blades & Bushcraft it has made operations such as these obsolete.  Any serious prepper can find this information and more using an online search engine for FREE.   

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
A lot of these things worry me because of the people who find it easier to spend their money, placing trust in someone else, without doing any research.  We've been working on stocking a small amount of food over the past year, along with reading a lot about the subject.  One of the best bits of info to learn is to only stock things you will, and can, actually eat.

A lot of the dehydrated/camp "meals" make me sicker than a dog- as in they go right through me- and the runs aren't something you want unless you're trying to get dehydrated real fast.

Beans and rice make a complete protein together we learned last year doing more research, but instant white rice has had most of the nutrients processed out.

To me, it's almost like a person going strictly vegetarian- you REALLY have to do your homework on nutrients and food combinations or you can end up in worse health than you started.  Just because something is sold as having all the calories you need doesn't make it healthy.  And getting the right kinds of proteins, carbs, fats, etc is harder than it appears on the surface- at least for me- when it comes to stockpiling food stuffs.

We're trying to approach it like having more of what we CAN actually eat on hand, water stores and different ways to cook/prepare them.   

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »
A lot of these things worry me because of the people who find it easier to spend their money, placing trust in someone else, without doing any research.  We've been working on stocking a small amount of food over the past year, along with reading a lot about the subject.  One of the best bits of info to learn is to only stock things you will, and can, actually eat.

A lot of the dehydrated/camp "meals" make me sicker than a dog- as in they go right through me- and the runs aren't something you want unless you're trying to get dehydrated real fast.

Beans and rice make a complete protein together we learned last year doing more research, but instant white rice has had most of the nutrients processed out.

To me, it's almost like a person going strictly vegetarian- you REALLY have to do your homework on nutrients and food combinations or you can end up in worse health than you started.  Just because something is sold as having all the calories you need doesn't make it healthy.  And getting the right kinds of proteins, carbs, fats, etc is harder than it appears on the surface- at least for me- when it comes to stockpiling food stuffs.

We're trying to approach it like having more of what we CAN actually eat on hand, water stores and different ways to cook/prepare them.   

Prepping is especially challenging for my family.  My wife has a gluten intolerance and most grains that are "gluten free" (like corn, oats and rice) contain trace amounts gluten because they're all processed together which cross contaminates most grain.  The smallest amount of gluten causes her to be sick for days which is something we wish to avoid in an emergency situation.

I'm a big advocate of test eating your preps first! 

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »
I've seen that site as well a few other...all with secrets for sale.

Some sites like this one.....you can't get off the site..It's like "We know you have pop-up blockers but you asked for it.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 09:34:20 AM »
Again, just from experience, growing a garden is great, and all. Almost anyone can get beans and snow peas to grow. Preserving your harvest is where the real work lays. The window of fresh produce is surprisingly small, for those who've never tried it. Raising a garden does a person no good if they don't have the knowledge/skills to can, dry and/or cold store what they produce.

The other consideration was just mentioned. Fats. Gotta have 'em to some degree. For people who are not in a position to whack a food animal (rabbits and squirrels don't count -- too lean), they should think about canned fatty foods like fish, bacon, etc. That, and cold storage for tins of pure lard (not vegetable shortening) to supplement their diet.
FWIW....

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »
Again, just from experience, growing a garden is great, and all. Almost anyone can get beans and snow peas to grow. Preserving your harvest is where the real work lays. The window of fresh produce is surprisingly small, for those who've never tried it. Raising a garden does a person no good if they don't have the knowledge/skills to can, dry and/or cold store what they produce.

The other consideration was just mentioned. Fats. Gotta have 'em to some degree. For people who are not in a position to whack a food animal (rabbits and squirrels don't count -- too lean), they should think about canned fatty foods like fish, bacon, etc. That, and cold storage for tins of pure lard (not vegetable shortening) to supplement their diet.
FWIW....

Animal fat is an important source of much needed calories in an extended emergency situation canning suet or lard is a great idea I must admit I don't have any...   :P   

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »

Animal fat is an important source of much needed calories in an extended emergency situation canning suet or lard is a great idea I must admit I don't have any...   :P
Home canning fatty meats is tricky at best, and "iffy" at worst. Ball Canning Guide wants you to avoid it completely. "Trim all excess fat" is their mantra.  It has to do with temperatures, and expansion.
I have fat and tallow in the freezer, but for long term storage, you're better off with a commercial #10 tin of lard.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »
Damian Campbell of Peak 10 Publishing is the one who put out the online infomercial, he sells the 37 Food Items as survival package of information:

Since the advent of the internet and forums like Blades & Bushcraft it has made operations such as these obsolete.  Any serious prepper can find this information and more using an online search engine for FREE.   

Your correct, all this info is available for free and anyone serious about prepping will in fact exhaust all free avenues ( YT... Forums etc )  but it does take a little time and research to find it and put your plan together. But old buddy boy here ain't trying to preach to the choir, he's looking for the gullible folks with just enough paranoia in them to want to pay for info that will give them a heads up on their neighbor and sadly there are far too many of those lazy ass selfish folks around willing to grab their credit cards and purchase this "insurance" so that they are covered in an event that SHTF.

This thread gives me an idea for another thread, thanks WI... :cheers:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »

37 Food Items That Disappear Fast   $97.00   
Water Purification Quickstart Guide   $17.00   
Survival Garden Plans                   $19.00   
Off-Grid Survival Power Plans           $49.00   
Survival Food Stockpiling & Storage   $21.00   
Total Value                                   $203.00

Your correct, all this info is available for free and anyone serious about prepping will in fact exhaust all free avenues ( YT... Forums etc )  but it does take a little time and research to find it and put your plan together. But old buddy boy here ain't trying to preach to the choir, he's looking for the gullible folks with just enough paranoia in them to want to pay for info that will give them a heads up on their neighbor and sadly there are far too many of those lazy ass selfish folks around willing to grab their credit cards and purchase this "insurance" so that they are covered in an event that SHTF.

The REALLY sad part of it is, those lazy, un-self-educated folks with the ready credit cards will buy these "lists", and then never take the time to go shopping. That's too much like work.....

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »

I was hoping this thread would open up new avenues in our Forum, lookin' forward to your thread Zammer!   ;D

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »

Home canning fatty meats is tricky at best, and "iffy" at worst. Ball Canning Guide wants you to avoid it completely. "Trim all excess fat" is their mantra.  It has to do with temperatures, and expansion.
I have fat and tallow in the freezer, but for long term storage, you're better off with a commercial #10 tin of lard.

Animal fat (suet and lard) will be worth it's weight in gold (especially bacon grease) in long term survival situations canning it may not be an option so perhaps I'll just get a tin of lard and take my chances.  A 64-Year-Old Can of Lard Found in Germany is Still Edible Today, perhaps lards shelf life is longer than we think...

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 06:17:24 PM »

Animal fat (suet and lard) will be worth it's weight in gold (especially bacon grease) in long term survival situations canning it may not be an option so perhaps I'll just get a tin of lard and take my chances.  A 64-Year-Old Can of Lard Found in Germany is Still Edible Today, perhaps lards shelf life is longer than we think...
Commercially preserved lard kept away from moisture that could rust the can is practically bullet proof! I'm just saying it's difficult to get that shelf lfe/quality with home canning.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »
I remember watching a YT video where a guy was roasting a rabbit over the coals and kept basting it....finally the guy who was with him asked what he was doing to the rabbit all the time.  He answered that he was pouring Raccoon fat over it because it was too lean to be worth eating otherwise LOL  Wish I could remember who it was...

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 11:16:48 PM »
I remember watching a YT video where a guy was roasting a rabbit over the coals and kept basting it....finally the guy who was with him asked what he was doing to the rabbit all the time.  He answered that he was pouring Raccoon fat over it because it was too lean to be worth eating otherwise LOL  Wish I could remember who it was...
"Rabbit starvation" got its reputation from Arctic explorers who caught and ate snowshoe rabbits and Arctic hares and suffered malnutrition due to the lack of fat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 12:02:45 AM »
With the talk about having fat on hand...   

Not too long ago I decided to fry up tiny chunks of SPAM to put into an omelet.  I was surprised on how much fat rendered out of the fry up.   With this in mind.. having more spam in stock and saving the fat renderings from fried spam could be a good thing... right?  :)

And I read somewhere that when cutting up whole chickens, to save that chunk of fat found in the lower area of the bird, just inside the skin and render that down for fat.  It was referred to as 'gold'.    And in this same article that back in the day when meat was scarce, if you would save the fat rendered out, you could bring it to the local butcher shops and get paid for it. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
..   And in this same article that back in the day when meat was scarce, if you would save the fat rendered out, you could bring it to the local butcher shops and get paid for it. 

WW.
I think things would have to get pretty bad for those days to return. Before I got the equipment, I'd take my venison to the local butcher to get it ground. He'd do it for free, but he charged 25-cents/lb for any fat you wanted added. If he's selling it for $0.25/lb, you probably would only get pennies per pound selling to him. Of course the other problem nowadays is all the regulations placed on public shops to have their sources 'certified'.

I have about 15# of pork fat in the freezer from our last pig. It won't last that way forever, so I have to come up with a better way to store it. I kept it in anticipation of venison sausage/burger, but none of us scored this year.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »
OP.. is that fat already rendered down?   If not.. how about rendering it, pour into freezer jars and then return it to the freezer?   Doing this in pints would enable you to pull out a pint at a time to have in your fridge for cooking purposes?    Having it in jars will back off freezer burn too.

Or if you dont want it at all anymore.. how about mixing with bird seed and feeding the winter birds with it.  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »
OP.. is that fat already rendered down?   If not.. how about rendering it, pour into freezer jars and then return it to the freezer?   Doing this in pints would enable you to pull out a pint at a time to have in your fridge for cooking purposes?    Having it in jars will back off freezer burn too.

Or if you dont want it at all anymore.. how about mixing with bird seed and feeding the winter birds with it.  :)

WW.
That would be a good plan. Rendering it down would also kill some bacteria, and probably extend its life.
I have about 7# of 'bird cakes' made from venison tallow. They hate deer fat as much as I do!  I don't know what I'm going to do with it, because it would take a whole jar of peanut butter to remake it into something they'd eat.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
......and even with the peanut butter they might not ??? :puke:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
......and even with the peanut butter they might not ??? :puke:
I had ONE woodpecker that went after the suet in the cage, and he pecked holes in it and wouldn't eat the tallow. Smart bird!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »
They prolly get the same numb tongue feeling I do when I get tallow in my mouth.  Blah....     When home butchering I make darn sure that stuffs aint on the roasts. Ooogy.

Back to food storage.   I've been thinking on this list and have come to the realization that its not just about what foods are on the list to eat later... it, to me is what variety of foods can be made from that list.   Boredom is opening up the same ol' can every day...     Learning to cook from scratch is better in my opinion.

So.. a good old Betty Crocker Cookbook should be on that list.  :)  An old one.. back when you made it all from scratch and not a mix or can 'of' as ingredients.

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
They prolly get the same numb tongue feeling I do when I get tallow in my mouth.  Blah....     When home butchering I make darn sure that stuffs aint on the roasts. Ooogy.

Back to food storage.   I've been thinking on this list and have come to the realization that its not just about what foods are on the list to eat later... it, to me is what variety of foods can be made from that list.   Boredom is opening up the same ol' can every day...     Learning to cook from scratch is better in my opinion.

So.. a good old Betty Crocker Cookbook should be on that list.  :)  An old one.. back when you made it all from scratch and not a mix or can 'of' as ingredients.

WW.
I have two older cookbooks, not antiques, but 1960 vintage. IMO, the Better Homes cookbook is better than the Betty Crocker one. They are both 3 ring binder style, but the BH one has more info, conversion tables, substitution suggestions (like vinegar in whole milk instead of buttermilk, etc.).

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Homes-Gardens-Cook-Edition/dp/0696000121/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388207402&sr=8-3&keywords=Better+Homes+and+Gardens+cookbook

Offline Southern Illinoisian

• Whetstone +
  • You and you come with me the rest of you panic...
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »
For cans I dip them in melted beeswax to take out the issue of the metal oxidizing. Helps if you need to store in a moist area.
"If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash." - George Washington

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »
I like that idea SI.   For the reason you do it..and that this same beeswax can be reused again for maybe another reason to save after a crisis happens.   Candles or sealing or medicinal. 

WW.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
We always have on stock of flour, same of rice, and a few cases of canned goods that we rotate.  Several packages of dried fruit, pasta,  and cans of spam.  100 or so gallons of water, plus we have our reservoir, although that would require purification of one form or the other.  We keep a few cows close to home in case of emergency.  During the winter they are frequently in the feed lot a couple hundred feet from the house.  That is a privilege afforded by living on a farm and it keeps us feeling somewhat secure for a short period of disruption.  I say somewhat because in any disruption, short or long, there will be little chance of renewing these items.  How much is enough?  Three months, a year, two years?   

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »
I was snared by the video a while back, too. They strung me along fo 15-20 minutes before I realized the hook in mouth  ???  Glad I didn't fall for the "$100 off if you order now" or whatever it said.

"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)