Author Topic: "Twilight Zone" paranormal - supernatural - unexplained thread *special rules*  (Read 108004 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Ok, this thread is going to be the new repository for posts on topics like bigfoot, UFOs, ghosts, and other topics that defy simple scientific analysis.

Feel free to post any and all supernatural posts in this thread. While they aren't prohibited elsewhere on the forum, they are "fair game" for discussion.

In this thread, derogatory comments may be deleted. Anyone who can't handle a post being deleted should NOT post in this thread.

Here are some examples:

Posting that you don't believe in bigfoot, or ghosts, or UFOs is not a derogatory comment.

Posting that the entire topic is trash, IS a derogatory comment. So if these kind of topics bother you, then exercise some restraint and simply DON'T READ IT!

This is a hot and contentious topic, but it doesn't warrant its own section on a forum about knives and bushcraft. I am making this thread with "special rules" so that folks who want to discuss these topics can do so without their hobby/interests being called into question as unworthy of discussion.

This forum is a general discussion forum, and all topics are fair game, with the exception of a few as laid out in our forum rules and code of conduct.

Please keep this civil and remember that if you post something in here that doesn't add to to the discussion and only serves to make a "jab" at other members, it will be deleted. If you can't handle that, don't post here.

That said, I now give you, the "Twilight Zone".

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Since my most recent thread on the newly discovered footage from 1962 sparked the idea for this new area, I have no qualms about having it moved here, PW. :shrug:  Please feel free to remove any and all posts that you deem unfit for civilized society! :chopwood:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
That's a good idea PW... :thumbsup:
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Might as well start fresh in here Wolfy. ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Thanks, PW!

Hanging a left, and veering away from the 'cryptid pit' for a minute, I had an experience a couple days ago that still has me wondering. Pretty much freaked me out, on a couple different levels.

We've had some pretty strange experiences here around the property. There's a mobile home, and a cabin, and outbuildings. Many moons ago I posted elsewhere about getting locked out in my chicken yard due to a hook-and-eye latch seemingly locking itself from inside the coop.

My two boys have had a series of events that's shook them up a bit. Shadow figures, "sleep paralysis" upon waking (the old 'succubus syndrome'), and voices/sounds.

Okay...so a couple nights ago, my nine month old kitten is messing around in the dark while I'm watching TV. The room is dark, and the front door is in deep shadows. I hear a *thud* and shine my flashlight toward the door. There is the cat with a guilty look on her face, and my DB axe, which lives by the door, is laying on floor. She'd either tried to climb it, or use it as a scratching post and pulled it over.  No problem. I finish watching my show for another 1/2 hour and the dog wants out.  I crack the door about a foot and she goes to do her business.
A few minutes later she's back at the door, and I open it just enough to let her in. Back to the TV,.
I'm sitting there, and it suddenly dawns upon me that the axe on the floor wasn't in the way when I let the dog out, and I didn't remember picking it up. I turn on the lights and look for the axe. It's not leaning up against the wall where it lives, and it wasn't on the floor. It was nowhere to be found.
Something prompted me to open the door and check outside. There was the axe, stuck in the chopping block six feet from the doorway. It was 11:00 pm at night, and raining, and I certainly wasn't chopping wood in my sleep!

So here's the deal. I've been around poltergeist activity before. This doesn't fit the bill. This stupid axe weighs in excess of 5 pounds, and in "moved" from the floor, through a closed door, and got whacked into the chopping block outside.
I'm not ready to chalk it up to senility, or Alzheimer's yet. Maybe I was "day walking" (same as sleep walking, but having no conscious memory of having done something while awake). But I'm not ruling out a "temporal anomaly" either.
I've had several experiences, as have other members of my family with having stuff "warp out,and warp in" (my wife's term) around here.  We go to look for something where we last remember it should be. It's not there, Search everywhere, and come back to the original spot. There it is, in plain sight, in the very spot we just looked.
 :shocked: :shrug:
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
One of symptoms of my disorder is insomnia.  I had been up for way too many nights and started hearing whispering in one corner.  Then began seeing things.  Then a picture that had hung for years came off the wall and landed halfway across the room.

Sleep deprivation can certainly explain the hallucinations.  But what about the picture taking flight?

Do we open doors in "altered states" like sleep depravation?  Over history, that was/is the way of many cultures' medicine men (altered states).

hmmmmm

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Do we open doors in "altered states" like sleep depravation?  Over history, that was/is the way of many cultures' medicine men (altered states).

hmmmmm
"Altered" from which state? Our "normal", pragmatic, tactile, nothing-beyond-our-five-senses state of existence? It's not without its issues, but pretty boring in the long run.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Sleep deprivation is a serious thing. It is the number one cause of automobile accidents over drunk driving. Although texting is getting up there now.

To add to this thread.

When I was maybe 10, I was out in the woods with some friends and we ended up surrounded by briars. We couldn't find the way we got in, to get back out. I yelled out for help. in a comical act of desperation.

Out of nowhere, there was this young man. He had carhart style heavy canvas pants on and literally tore a path through the patch making an escape route. He wouldn't answer any questions of what he was doing there or where he came from. In seconds he was gone. Like he never had been there.

We knew these woods like the back of our hand. We couldn't see any sign of him.

To this day I believe it was my Brother that died at the age of 16 when I was only 3. I believe he watches over me. There have been a few things happen to me that should have killed me.

I'll tell you one of the biggest head scratchers for me.

A 1974 Chevy Nova. 350 with Edelbrock Performer II Intake and Blackjack headers. Crazy fast car.

The header gaskets always leak. I even doubled them up to get a good seal. They didn't last. At an idle you could see bursts of flames come out of the manifold gap.

One day on my way to work the fuel is dropping very quick. At about 1/8th of a tank I pull over to check things out.

I lifted the hood and EVERY SQUARE INCH of the engine compartment was saturated with gasoline and it was dripping off covering the roadside.

I wouldn't even consider trying to restart that engine even after fixing the Blown fuel line. I left it there, got a ride to work then later drove it home when it had dried all day.

There is no doubt in my mind that a miracle happened that day. I've heard all the comments, fuel air mixture wasn't right, they weren't leaking bursts of flame that day, and many others. I should not have lived that day.

OH, Sorry beast I'll shut up now...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
XJ,

I had a somewhat similar thing happen to me just out of high school after I got my new '64 Scout 4x4.
I was attempting to drive down a long abandoned road to an abandon beach cottage on Whidbey Island. It was late at night, pouring down rain. I had the vehicle in low gear, descending the steep road mainly on compression due to how slick and muddy it was.
Suddenly *thunk*, and I came to a dead stop. I thought I'd hit a washout in the road. I was still in 2 wheel drive, and I had manual locking hubs. I got out in the torrential downpour and turned in the hub on the driver's side. I had to crawl over the hood, reach down and turn in the other hub because I was that close to the sheer drop off on that side. I got back in, put it in 4-wheel drive, and tried to back out. Nothing. Didn't move an inch!
I gave up, and hiked the 1 1/2 miles back to my grandparent's place where I was staying.
The next day I drove back to the spot in another car, but had to park at the top of the road due to the mud. It was so slick, I nearly fell a couple times just walking down to where the Scout was stuck.
When I got there, I couldn't believe what was going on. The Scout was right next to the 75' drop off, both wheels on the passenger side were in midair, and the vehicle was only resting on the front bumper and rear bumper on that side. The washout was as wide as the car.  There were no skid marks in the road indicating that it had slipped sideways before coming to rest that way.
I had to get a neighbor with a small Caterpillar to come down the road, chain up to bother bumpers one at a time and lift the Scout back up onto solid ground. With 4-wheel drive I was then able to back up the hill and onto dry ground.
The guy driving the cat couldn't believe it either. His observation was that the front passenger tire had to travel at least 8 feet through thin air before dropping the front bumper onto the solid ground on the downhill side of the washout.  I was going about 2 mph when I bottomed out, so that didn't seem likely.
I don't know who, or what was holding that car up, but I would have been upside down at the bottom of that ravine if it hadn't.  ???

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
While I was not around when this all happened, the events occurred just up the road from where I grew up, and I knew some of the people quoted in the newspaper sources.  You can get the entire story by googling "Macomb Poltergeist."

Back in 1948, a number of mysterious fires broke out at a farmhouse near Macomb Illinois.  People said that brown spots would appear on the wallpaper, and then burst into flame!

Twelve-year-old Wonet McNeil was unhappy that she had to live with her grandparents.  Some folks believe that she could cause the fires to break out just by willing them to happen!  Others were convinced that she was setting the fires on purpose so she could go to live with her mother, who had remarried.

This mysterious case is so well documented that it has fascinated researchers for 65 years.  Newspaper reporters from the area and eventually from across the nation came to document the mysterious blazes.

The question remains: is this the best-documented case of poltergeist activity ever, or simply how an unhappy girl tried to get away from the farm to live with her mother?
...and I'll see you soon!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Alright.

It has been clear from the beginning that the general discussion section is an open forum for discussing anything that isn't counter to our forum rules and code of conduct.  bladesandbushcraft. com does not have an official position regarding bigfoot. I am not the least bit offended or concerned that other people want to discuss these topics.

This forum IS about BLADES and it IS about BUSHCRAFT! A quick look at our index page will show you entire categories dedicated to these topics, like the knife and axe categories, as well as the gear and skills categories. All of the arguments that this type of discussion detracts fromt eh blades and bushcraft discussion would be valid IF THEY WERE POSTED ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE FORUM.  But we don't have people discussing bigfoot in the monthly project threads. We don't discuss ghosts in the DIY and homemade gear category either.

Here in General Discussion, it is ok, and has always been ok to discuss anything you guys want except politics, religion, criminal activity and foul language.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm going to go back and delete a ton of posts here (you guys who posted did so knowing that could happen) to keep the discussion on topic, and the topic is not whether a thread that doesn't violate the rules is appropriate for discussion in an open forum without topic limitations.

PLEASE continue to focus on the blades and the bushcraft. We have entire categories for that. We have new members joining all the time, and there have been bigfoot discussions since almost day one. It hasn't deterred them, and I don't think this one thread will either. This IS intended to be a "sittin' around the campfire" category. And almost every online forum I've ever seen has one.

If your post has been removed, it is nothing personal, so don't take it as such. I just removed any posts that had to do with why this thread is here or whether it should exist. It is here because this is general discussion, and it exists because it does not violate forum rules, and because I am weary of fielding post reports resulting from folks who can't resist the urge to take jabs at one another.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:45:58 PM by PetrifiedWood »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Alright.

It has been clear from the beginning that the general discussion section is an open forum for discussing anything that isn't counter to our forum rules and code of conduct.  bladesandbushcraft. com does not have an official position regarding bigfoot. I am not the least bit offended or concerned that other people want to discuss these topics.

This forum IS about BLADES and it IS about BUSHCRAFT! A quick look at our index page will show you entire categories dedicated to these topics, like the knife and axe categories, as well as the gear and skills categories. All of the arguments that this type of discussion detracts fromt eh blades and bushcraft discussion would be valid IF THEY WERE POSTED ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE FORUM.  But we don't have people discussing bigfoot in the monthly project threads. We don't discuss ghosts in the DIY and homemade gear category either.

Here in General Discussion, it is ok, and has always been ok to discuss anything you guys want except politics, religion, criminal activity and foul language.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm going to go back and delete a ton of posts here (you guys who posted did so knowing that could happen) to keep the discussion on topic, and the topic is not whether a thread that doesn't violate the rules is appropriate for discussion in an open forum without topic limitations.

PLEASE continue to focus on the blades and the bushcraft. We have entire categories for that. We have new members joining all the time, and there have been bigfoot discussions since almost day one. It hasn't deterred them, and I don't think this one thread will either. This IS intended to be a "sittin' around the campfire" category. And almost every online forum I've ever seen has one.

If your post has been removed, it is nothing personal, so don't take it as such. I just removed any posts that had to do with why this thread is here or whether it should exist. It is here because this is general discussion, and it exists because it does not violate forum rules, and because I am weary of fielding post reports resulting from folks who can't resist the urge to take jabs at one another.

Thanks for the clarification, PW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder

This mysterious case is so well documented that it has fascinated researchers for 65 years.  Newspaper reporters from the area and eventually from across the nation came to document the mysterious blazes.

The question remains: is this the best-documented case of poltergeist activity ever, or simply how an unhappy girl tried to get away from the farm to live with her mother?
Rumor has it that this case was the underlying inspiration for Stephen King's novel "Firestarter".

FWIW, most alleged poltergeist phenomena seem to center around young girls just entering puberty, and in highly emotional states.

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
I've posted some of my experiences in other threads here, but my wife just reminded me off one of the strangest... Back in 1980 I was newly married, active duty Navy, just a 'normal' life. About a month after we were married, my wife woke me up saying she saw someone standing in our bedroom door. I grabbed a cheapo machete I kept under the bed for 'protection' and a government issue flashlight (from work ;)). Searched the townhouse up and down, checked the doors and windows all were locked and secure. No one but the wife and I were in the house.

My wife was still shook up and I asked her to describe the 'man'. She said she was in a sound sleep, when she just woke up feeling wide awake and felt like she was being watched. He looked about 40 years old, and was wearing a blue suit, blue tie with a white shirt. She said he was just leaning against the door jam with a smile on his face. It wasn't an evil smile, just a small smile. She turned to wake me and he was gone....

I calmed her down and managed to get her to relax telling her she was probably dreaming and not realizing it. There were no more incidents after that. Fast forward 2 to 3 months later. I took some leave and the wife and I went to visit my grandmother, she has never met my 'new' wife yet. We got to grandma's house with the usual fanfare. My wife and she got along like old friends. Had a huge supper and were sitting in the living room and grandma drug out one of her favorite obsessions....her photo albums.

She and my wife took turns ribbing me about some of my old childhood photos and other family nuggets. My wife was flipping through one album and she suddenly went white and exclaimed 'That's him! That's who I saw that night!'. Grandma calmed her down and looked at the photo...it was a polariod of my father. It was taken while he was laying in state in his coffin. He died when I was 8 years old, from complications in his heart while on the operating table. He was 36 when he died. In the photo he was dressed in his favorite blue suit and tie with a white shirt. His favorite outfit according to my grandmother.

We still haven't figured why my father appeared to my wife that night, or why he hasn't shown up any more. My grandmother passed away 8 years later. She said she thought that maybe my father was checking in to see my new wife and see how we were doing.....who knows? One day I'll find out.

Thanks for reading and forgive me for the loonnggg ramble....
Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
There's that old saying, "from dust, to dust".  Short version of "from dust we cometh, to dust returnelth". It might be more appropriate to say "from energy, to energy".
They say energy cannot be created, nor destroyed, only transmuted.
We're formed from the energy in our cellular structure. When the energy that animates our corporeal bodies dissipates, it must necessarily go somewhere. Who's to say it doesn't maintain some sort of cohesive existence apart from what we call "life"? Heck,we're hard pressed to try to explain what 'consciousness' is, let alone put it on a microscope slide.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone

PetrifiedWood, Thank you for what you've done and this forum. For a moment I thought we where following in similar footsteps of another place.My mother always told us about the man with the cigarette. She was I think 11 years old and woke up to a mans face outside her bedroom window. Very clearly lit by the cigarette in his mouth. She screamed and her father couldn't find any sign of a peeping tom. It was the second story window and no ladder or objects to climb.

I used to work for the farmer that owned that house. I told the story but they had nothing similar ever happen to them.

Have you ever had your dog bark at something it was sure was there? I trusted my rott beyond belief. She used to run down the hallway and bark at the wall. When I let her out to see what she found, she ran out and barked at the same spot of the wall. Always weirded me out.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Let me state right up front, that I do NOT believe in Bigfoot, Ghosts, cryptozoology, or any other form of paranormal, weirdo behavior or phenomena. 

There.  That said, I won't have to participate any more in the thread.   8)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Let me state right up front, that I do NOT believe in Bigfoot, Ghosts, cryptozoology, or any other form of paranormal, weirdo behavior or phenomena. 

There.  That said, I won't have to participate any more in the thread.   8)

Simply and elegantly stated.   :thumbsup: :lol:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone

I'm one of those folks who tries to keep an open mind when it comes to unexplained mysteries like Bigfoot, Ghosts, Cryptozoology, and other forms of Paranormal phenomena,  but I pretty much stay clear of "weirdo behavior".   ;)
  It's not hard to imagine why some people take a purely skeptics view of those things that can't be seen or touched by the average person either by intent or design, and I suspect that because those things are so outside the norm is why books, movies, and fireside stories are so fascinating to most of us,  thank you Stephen King and others.
  I also suspect that most of the tales, myths, legends, and other mysteries that have formed our opinions, fed our fears, and affected our lives since man started walking upright are no more than just stories,  most of them coming from a time in man's history when superstition and the fear of the unknown was much greater than it is in our more modern times.
  Many, if not most people who live, work, and are educated in the more modern environs of this world go through their whole lives without experiencing any real unexplained mysteries in their lives,  but there are some who have,  and to those people the world is a much different place,  the borders where the reality of everyday life and the unexplained are broadened and sometimes blurry.
  In my opinion,  as unreal as some things can sound,  they can't be dismissed all that easily,  who hasn't at one time or another sensed a bad feeling just before something bad actually happened,  who hasn't thought of some friend or family for no reason and then the phone rings and it's them on the other end of the line.
  Why is it that you can be camped in the woods,  or out hunting or sitting by a fishing stream on a beautiful day without a care in the world and for no reason you get goose bumps, feel a chill, or have the hair on the back of your neck stand on end,  weird, yes,  unusual yes,  but does it happen, yes,  something had to cause it,  was it just something in us at the time that's quite normal,  or was it some sixth sense that our body or mind picked up on that something wasn't right or that we were being watched ?
  UFO's,  some people think they don't exist,  yet governments and researchers around the world have spent billions of dollars trying to track them or communicate with the intelligent life that supposedly controls them.
  Sea creatures thought long extinct or only mentioned in fictional writings and novels, or not even known at all are being found,  where did they come from?

Bigfoot,  they don't exist,  try telling that to the guy or gal that really believes they saw one,  or to the scientist that studies a plaster cast of a foot print that looks human, yet has all the indicators and dermal ridges pointing to something else other than human,  you'll have a hard time convincing the campers who were driven from their camp by huge stones being hurled into their campsite amid the sound of growls they can't identify.
  We find it hard to believe someone we don't know trying to convince us they had a Bigfoot experience,  that's normal,  but what do you think when someone you all respect say he had not only one, but two Bigfoot encounters (the guy obviously spends a lot of time in the woods) ?

Are there things in this world that exist outside of our normal perceptions and understanding   :shrug: ?
  I don't know for sure,  and that's the point of all of this.    :cheers:

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
I FIRMLY believe in the ancient astronaut theory. I do not believe in an afterlife, nor do i subscribe to any religious beliefs. Bigfoot, although I think it is possible, I think
It unlikely, due to lack of concrete evidence. But, speaking of lack of evidence,did you know that if every pre homo-sapien "human" bone were put together,they wouldn't even fill
Up the bed of my tacoma? Yet evolution is a widely accepted theory. ( I also believe in evolution, with a little alien influence...)

"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
One very common ghost story has many variations and has been researched and documented extensively.  It is often called the "vanishing hitchhiker."  Here's one of many examples:

I was riding from Greenville to Winston-Salem [North Carolina] and decided to take the old road to Greensboro. It was early dawn and the month was October. I was very drowsy but suddenly woke up when I saw a young girl dressed in a long gown standing on the highway. I stopped and asked her if I could help her. She said that her date had gotten mad when she stopped his advances and had made her get out and walk. I offered to take her home, and she accepted. She didn't say much on the way. When we got there, I got out and came around to open the door for her, but she was gone. I couldn't understand it and went up to the house and rang the bell. When an elderly lady answered, I asked for Mary. "Not again," was all she said. I said, "What?" And she explained that Mary had been killed in a car wreck. I was about the fifth person in eight years that had tried to bring her home.

Have you heard other variants to this story? Read more here: http://bernd.wechner.info/Hitchhiking/vanish.html

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
This next story happened just a few miles from here, and my daughter was acquainted with the girl in the story.  The story made ABC news and I'll post the link below.

An unidentified allegedly drunken driver hit Katie Lentz, of Quincy, Mo., head on Aug. 4 while traveling on Route 19 near Center, Mo., pinning the 19-year-old in the front seat of her convertible. With her vital signs failing fast, she asked rescue crews to pray with her.

That?s when first responders say a man who looked like a catholic priest seemed to appear out of nowhere, despite a 2-mile perimeter blocking the scene.

?He began to pray and use the anointing oil,? New London Fire Chief Raymond Reed said. ?There was a calmness that, to me, seemed to come over the entire scene.?

But that?s not the only seemingly divine detail. Firefighters say their equipment kept failing until the mystery man showed up.

?The words were to remain calm, that our tools would now work,? Reed said. ?Instantaneously, at that moment, our neighboring department arrived with fresh extrication tools.?

Lentz survived, but the man vanished before crews could thank him.

The young woman is recovering in the hospital with broken legs and ribs, but some say it could?ve been worse, if not for the mystery man on the highway.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/08/mystery-priest-vanishes-after-anointing-crash-victim/

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
I used to work for the farmer that owned that house. I told the story but they had nothing similar ever happen to them.
It's not surprising. People are all different, and having these experiences vary greatly between individuals.
Some folks seem to have better "instincts", which we sometimes call intuition. Quite plainly they can sense things others cannot...or will not. Some people never get that "creepy feeling". They just aren't 'wired' that way, quite literally. Some people never get 'hunches' about things, and any synchronicity of events is considered just a coincidence.
Some people are conditioned by their environment at an early age to consider anything that can't be quantified as 'hokum' or 'foolishness'. Others are allowed, or even encouraged to accept all possibilities as part of their world.
Nowadays I think we have the terms just backwards. We talk about "paranormal' as something outside what's supposedly 'normal' for us, as humans. My belief is that it's just the opposite. Science now struggles to explain away things like intuition, any "sixth sense", precognition, telepathy, and even lucid dreaming. I believe all these things ARE our 'normal' state, and we have been taught now to deny it. So in that sense, it seems to me that only being able to perceive, or accept, our surroundings as fed to us by our extremely limited 5 senses is what's actually 'paranormal' for us as a species.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
My wife had an unusual experience right after we move to a new home near Tacoma, WA.
She went shopping at the nearby Safeway store. When she came out, she noticed a shabbily dressed man sitting to one side of the entrance way, propped up against the wall. He was bearded, and a floppy old had was pulled low over his eyes.
She saw several people pass him, ignoring his outstretched hand, and his question, "Spare a dollar?" She walked over to him, and opened her purse. The smallest bill she had was $5, so she impulsively handed it to him. He didn't look up, or make eye contact, but just said, "Bless you," and stuffed it into the pocket of his worn jacket.
She turned and headed toward the parking lot. Then she thought that maybe he could use a can of beans, or veggies she had just purchased. She turned back toward him after only taking a half dozen steps. He was gone.
She glanced around, since the spot where he'd been sitting was out in the open, at least 100 feet from the corner of the building, and a few yards from the entrance. In the 5-10 seconds she had her back turned, he had vanished.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
A good friend of mine was terribly sick. She laid in bed for 2 weeks. She said an old man sat with her. Even held her hand a few times when she felt like giving up.

Since then she has been able to recognize the ghosts that are in peoples homes and describe them to a T. The Old man will check up on her occasionally. She never could identify who he was. nothing in the house records and no resemblance to family. Just a friendly ghost?

He doesn't make a sound, just smiles politely.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
http://www.wimp.com/astonishme/

Lots of things not yet known to us out there.
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
http://www.wimp.com/astonishme/

Lots of things not yet known to us out there.
;)

Thanks JB,  good find.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Thought this would be fun in this thread.
Keep watching as one video leads to another.
Scroll down on the page until the video icon says "Play All".

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/researcher-finds-image-mysterious-object-moon-article-1.1584079

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
I was following another lead about those "red haired giants" in the U.S. people have talked about for years, and found this. It's an undersea expedition out of japan. Several interesting finds, but the skeleton takes the prize.

http://asianwavemag.com/uncategorized/exciting-diving-trip-eleven-underwater-graves-in-world-2/

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Looking at that skull..  it almost looks flat-ish on top..   I wonder if it's related to the flathead giants I've heard about. 

I giggle thinking on that large giant being found over there where human  population isn't very tall.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
A little background on the remains of a giant race found in the U.S.

http://www.cavelore.com/giantus.htm

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
   Now here is an "unexplained" sort of thing. You can watch from the beginning, but I was more interested in the part from about the 3:35minute onward. Checkout the snow that doesn't melt.I understand snow well enough to know that it melts  forms water. I also know that snow will absorb water to a point, then the water content further melts the snow until all that is left is the liquid water form & not the crystalline form.. But once the snow has enough water in it, the snow starts to melt more & more & leaves a puddle of water. NOw that is not the "scientific" way to describe it, but i don't ever remember snow having a sooty , burnt look to it like what I saw in this video. Ihave seen snow have some black look to the edges from what ever was being burned near it. Think "soot" on the snow. 

So , what ya think of this "snow" in the video?

:shrug:

ETA for Wolfy & his Cracker Jack toy ,, err  I mean, "tool":

;)  LOL
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:34:41 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Oookaaay.... The segment starting at 11:30 is pretty interesting. I was ready with a bunch of explanations until then.
Nice find, JB.
I'll be interested in other comments from those who actually watch this video.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
I was following another lead about those "red haired giants" in the U.S. people have talked about for years, and found this. It's an undersea expedition out of japan. Several interesting finds, but the skeleton takes the prize.

He used to beat me up in Jr High.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
Oookaaay.... The segment starting at 11:30 is pretty interesting. I was ready with a bunch of explanations until then.
Nice find, JB.
I'll be interested in other comments from those who actually watch this video.

Pretty strange, isn't it, eh? Don't believe I have ever seen snow that acts like that stuff they showed... BUt I don't take lighters & torches to it either. But the stuff I am used to  just melts down to water.. even if ya hold it in your hand... ??? Weird...
 :shrug:

He used to beat me up in Jr High.

Not funny, but in a way it is funny that the thought came to ya after reading about the red haired giants.. I'd bet you could prolly take him now.. or, at least just shoot him if he tried it now..   LOL
 ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder

Pretty strange, isn't it, eh? Don't believe I have ever seen snow that acts like that stuff they showed... BUt I don't take lighters & torches to it either. But the stuff I am used to  just melts down to water.. even if ya hold it in your hand... ??? Weird...

In the beginning, I figured the less dense snow was not pooling water because the water was evaporating in the flame. Especially with the torch.
But when the gal goes out, makes a snowball in her front yard, brings it in and hits it with a BBQ lighter, I started edging toward the front of my chair. The darn stuff charred black, and the guy with the camera says it smells like plastic burning.  WTF?

So here's a question. Might the water vapor that close to the Gulf have a high amount of dissolved salt in it, which would lower the melting point of the snow that fell?  But what other impurities would cause the charring, and odor?  We know how much crap is in the upper atmosphere from commercial airlines and ground vehicle emissions, and factories...but?
I've seen sooty snow clear up at 10,000 feet on Mt. Rainier decades ago from pollution, but that's nothing like this!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  If it had any salt in it  & "Raised" the melting point, it should have turned to water faster, if the snow had formed at all.  I do not think salt lowers the melting point, but raises it to melt the snow. Salt is used to melt snow. I think that either there is something in the "snow" to prevent it from melting like regular snow, or it is not truly snow,as in purely formed crystallized water. Rain, as ya know, is condensation that forms around small particles that, when they accumulate enough condensation, fall as  the rain. Snow is the result of the same thing but the particles & condensation fall  as flakes( crystals) since it in a colder air mass. But it should still turn to water once the melting point is reached. and since ice & snow turns to water form(liquid) at 32 deg. F (0 deg C.) then this stuff should certainly turn to water at the temps a butane lighter or a gas torch provide.  Water only turns to vapor at the temp of 212F(100C) so it should not all be turning to vapor even with a lighter... some should drip down & not be heated enough for vapor. The only way the snow would soot/ or "char" is if something was in the snow, but the actual snow crystals made of water should melt around the unknown stuff & still become water drops.
So,, yes.. This is one strange snow.
& I haven't a clue about why & what it is, or contains. Plastics seem to be a part , if the folks are smelling burnt plastic smell after heating the stuff. I would like to see what happens in a pot on a flame. Snow should melt like the dickens in that situation & the water coming out would not evaporate fast enough to not leave liquid water to be seen.

Very strange indeed.
 :shrug: once again from me... Any chemists around here?

ETA- fixed my first sentence, and added the second short one, since  I wrote what I meant, the wrong way...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:27:29 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder

& I haven't a clue about why & what it is, or contains. Plastics seem to be a part , if the folks are smelling burnt plastic smell after heating the stuff. I would like to see what happens in a pot on a flame. Snow should melt like the dickens in that situation & the water coming out would not evaporate fast enough to not leave liquid water to be seen.

Very strange indeed.
 :shrug: once again from me... Any chemists around here?
LOL! Okay, inquiring minds want to know, right?
I just went out and made a baseball sized snowball out of some good ol' Montana powder snow. I didn't take any pictures, and I'm not gonna go through the whole PB upload hassle, but here's what happened.

I put the snowball on my cutting board. I hit it with my propane torch that I use for my wood stove. As I suspected, the snow started to disappear, but there was no water pooling on the cutting board. The liquid was evaporating in the heat of the torch.

Okay...next test. I hit the remaining snowball with my butane lighter. We all know that butane has a lower flash point than propane (around  20F isn't it?) and when I tried to melt the snow with the butane, it tried to put out the flame!  What I was left with was an actual black smudge mark on the snow from the impurities in the butane, and that part of the gas which failed to combust. I.e., "soot". So there I had an unmelted snowball with a "burn mark" on it.

The one gal in the video said, "I'm from Chicago, I know what snow is." Okay, but did she ever try to burn snow while in Chicago?

I won't claim "Myth Busted", but I think these folks are reacting pretty close to what you'd see from some South Sea islanders if they got snow dumped on them.

Like you said, JB, if they had put it in a metal bowl, and heated the bowl, they'd have water in no time. And we wonder why we get a superior attitude by having "bushcraft skills".  :P 8)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
   That is entirely possible Old P. as I have never tried to light snow on fire either. My curiosity is... did ya try to melt the snow in a pot? and hold it in your hand, loose or in a ball? I can see how you recreated the look/effect with your snow, but is your snow the same as their snow?

All in the desire to know more, for me.. And I am not planning to go out & try this myself. I like thinking that "our snow" is just good old stuff like we had when I was growing up. I do not want to know that "our snow" around here does not behave like it should.
;) LOL

Seriously, snow will hold the water for some time, as it absorbs the water into the crystals, but at some point (and I do not know the saturation point of different type of snow)... it will melt off enough to make drops & pools of water. I have actually used snow to "dry off" my boots & lower legs after crossing a stream, just by throwing snow on the boots & lower legs & brushing off the snow with the water absorbed.

Anyway.. I still am thinking it odd.
 ???

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
   Doggonit... I am gonna have to go & do this now,or very soon, or it will bug me... Stay tuned... maybe I will video it...
;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
JB, that southern snow and mine are different. Mine is a cold weather powder. The air-to-water-to-ice crystals is much lower, and my snowball was very compact.
What I saw in the video reminded me of Western WA snow. Wet, with large crystals. The two will behave differently, I'm guessing. If anything, mine had a higher water content when compacted, and should have yielded more water under the flame.
I'll be interested to see how you Minnesota snow reacts.
I've pretty much convinced myself, though, that the black soot on the snow in the video was from the unburned butane, and not from the snow.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
You two need help! :P :P

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Didn't that video strike you as a bit 'whoa'? But hey, trying to light snowballs on fire is more sane than 5 hours watching Super Bowl!
  :taunt:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Didn't that video strike you as a bit 'whoa'? But hey, trying to light snowballs on fire is more sane than 5 hours watching Super Bowl!
  :taunt:
Me? Watch the Super Bowl?  :lol: :rofl:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
What's the Stupid Bowl?

I'm trying to finger out what the voices in the corner are saying...

Guess I'll head to the woods soon.  Everybody's kinda needing me to go away for awhile.  LOL.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
What's the Stupid Bowl?...
That's my term for it, too. I only participate as an excuse to drink and eat.
My wife grew up in Denver, and I grew up in Seattle. There will probably be more bloodshed in our living room than on the ball field.  :-\ :-X

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
My family was/is football fanatics.  I just wanna go fishing..
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Football fanatics require a certain amount of care, and maintenance. They get all twitchy during the off-season. Just sit them down in front of an endless loop of two mountain sheep butting heads. They get a glassy look in their eyes, and it keeps 'em quiet for hours.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
   OK... I am almost afraid to say I actually went out to see how our snow here melts... and it melts...Just like it should melt... Makes me feel kindo of foolish in one way, but in the interests of "science"...LOL
 Here are the results of Minn. Snow:

Bic Lighter to cigarette. I prefer Zippo, or Ronson, but wanted to stay with prior tests... It burns...

Lighter to snow = vaporization & some melting... no soot or residue to the naked eye.

Cigarette to snow: little vaporization, some melting, no apparent "snow" residue, but some resulting tobacco ash & the paper of the cigarette got wet on the end.

Weed burner(propane) to snow =  much vaporization & lots of melting w/no soot/residue.  {FYI, a weed burner is like a really big propane torch}

Heat gun to snow = a little vaporization & lots of snow melting no residue.{ FYI - Think really hot hair dryer used for removing paint & such)

Loose Snow in hand = no vaporization, melted snow & cold hand, no residue.

Packed snow in hand = no vapporization, less melted snow & colder hands, no residue.

And the final test...

Snow in mouth = no vaporization, snow melted, tasted like water, no taste/after taste, no residue detected.

Results of my analysis...

It is regular old Minnesota snow that behaves like it should & was a doggone waste of my time to even do it, except in the interests of my fellow B&B members, for who I possibly risked life or limb to do these experiments in order to make sure that you are safe if you eat or drink or are exposed to Minnesota snow.
;)
    And for a limited time & for a small fee plus shipping I will send you same if you feel the need to have some. No responsibility is taken by me, the provider, if the snow you receive has turned to water in the time it takes to package & ship to your address. All liability is the buyers responsibility & the buyer , in agreement with this offer , if it is accepted, assumes all liability for any damages incurred by the package once it has been shipped by the packager & seller. If you are interested in this offer, contact me by PM.
;D

Our snow is better than your snow... nah nah..
;D

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone

I have suppressed that dreaded gene in our household, and we also prefer to go fishing, as it is much more exciting.... even if you don't catch anything.
D