Author Topic: clove hitch knot  (Read 3638 times)

Offline bushman1130

• Mill File+
clove hitch knot
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
hey guys if any of you are interested i uploaded a vid on how to make a clove hitch a great knot for lashing things together like tipis making tripods or meat drying racks

Offline rtaylor129

• Whetstone +
  • Banned
Re: clove hitch knot
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »
Thank you good video!

rtaylor129.blogspot .com
Banned for trying to scam members and lying.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »
Nice job on that, thanks for sharing!

I watched a couple of your other vids and you do nice work-good job!!!

Offline bushman1130

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 01:58:11 PM »
Hey thanks for the complement I do my best I got a lot more on the way subscribe so you don't miss out

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »
Hey thanks for the complement I do my best I got a lot more on the way subscribe so you don't miss out

No offense intended, but I don't subscribe to anyone out there- that's just me. 

Welcome to the forum and hope to see you around!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
Good vid......and you made it the way knot videos SHOULD be made, IMHO.  :thumbsup:   You demonstrate to the student trying to learn it, as if they are standing in your shoes, rather than from across the campfire and viewing it 'backwards' with your hands hiding the action from their view besides.  That can't help, but be confusing! :P

For instance, I found it MUCH easier to teach the Tenderfoot Boy Scouts in our Troop their basic knots when I sat in a chair & positioned them standing behind and above me, so they could get an unobstructed view over my shoulder while I tied it.......EXACTLY the way you shot your video!

WOLFY APPROVED! :tent:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline bushman1130

• Mill File+
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:28:25 PM »
hey thanks that means a lot coming from a scout leader thats the way to teach people that have never done it before 

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 03:12:13 PM »
bushman1130

I like knots, I was a boy scout at an early age, and needed to be able to tie knots when I was a sailor. Back when I lived on the old dairy farm in NY. We used to grind our own feed for the cows, we would bag it up right out of the hammer mill into burlap sacks and we closed them up with twine and a clove hitch. 

I am not sure if that the the knot my dad was using, but since I knew that one I use it and it worked. .. Thanks..J 

Offline bushman1130

• Mill File+
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 08:29:41 AM »
bushman1130

I like knots, I was a boy scout at an early age, and needed to be able to tie knots when I was a sailor. Back when I lived on the old dairy farm in NY. We used to grind our own feed for the cows, we would bag it up right out of the hammer mill into burlap sacks and we closed them up with twine and a clove hitch. 

I am not sure if that the the knot my dad was using, but since I knew that one I use it and it worked. .. Thanks..J

theirs several ways to tie thisknot but i wanted to do the simplist version so its easy to understand itsagreat knot to know im glad you got some use out of it thanks for watching

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 08:41:24 AM »
A knot that has given me "pause" is the double overhand knot.  It is the main knot used in tying rope halters.  I finally mastered it, and  can tie it with my eyes shut. 

I will defer to Woly's expertise, but in my opinion the clove hitch and the bowline, are probably two of the most useful knots.. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
I agree about the bowline. I don't use the clove hitch much. The one knot that I have tied consistently for the past 60 years is the Buntline hitch. I literally tie it daily, for one thing or another.
I'm going to revise the video I uploaded on tying it, since the angle showing it still confused some folks.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »
I agree about the bowline. I don't use the clove hitch much. The one knot that I have tied consistently for the past 60 years is the Buntline hitch. I literally tie it daily, for one thing or another.
I'm going to revise the video I uploaded on tying it, since the angle showing it still confused some folks.

FINALLY! ;D

The camera peeking down over your right shoulder should be perfect......that way the thumb & index finger of your left hand doing the 'twist' should be the most visible to eager knot students everywhere. :thumbsup:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:07:35 PM »

FINALLY! ;D

The camera peeking down over your right shoulder should be perfect......that way the thumb & index finger of your left hand doing the 'twist' should be the most visible to eager knot students everywhere. :thumbsup:

Yeah, yeah....I know...keep poking with that pointy stick. Heck, I might even do it tonight.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
Nice job on the video, Bushman1130!
 :thumbsup:

always good to see a good instructional video to share with folks who may not know.
 :) 

Thanks for your sharing of your video ,Bushman1130!
:)

------------------

Now then...

After 60+years of tying the same knot....

Can ya do it  "one handed?
 ;)

I'll be waiting to see the new video, Old P..
 ;D

Clove hitch, like what Bushman1130 just demonstrated in his video from the OP can be done  "one handed" also... Even if ya never did it before.

I will be waiting for the "new & improved" video edition of the buntline hitch in your new topic about it, Old P..

Even if it is "Two handed"...
 :D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »
Bushman1130, you will probably never see this post, since you have not returned to Blades & Bushlore for over a year (as of this posting), but I saw a 'guest' viewing it today & thought I'd watch it again, too.  :shrug:    In my first post, near the top of this thread, I lauded you for the video perspective you used in filming the tutorial......very easy for someone to see from the perspective THEY would view it with their own eyes when tying the knot.  Well done! :thumbsup:

To be honest, I have to admit that I never paid much attention to the way you tied the clove hitch knot in the video the first time. :-[     I guess I SHOULD have, because in watching it for a second time I noticed that it's tied INCORRECTLY! :(     After making your first wrap, you should have tucked the bitter end right then, instead of crossing over and tucking it under the far right side of the knot.  In essence, what you have displayed in the video is a simple half-hitch with two wraps around the log.....it will slip and fail when tied this way.   

This link shows the CORRECT way to tie the CLOVE HITCH and how it should look when finished.....

http://m.wikihow.com/Tie-a-Clove-Hitch-Knot

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
The clove hitch is a useful knot, but I find myself using it most when tying to a thin stake or something similar that allows me to tie it by making two overlapped loops in the rope. I can't remember ever using it in a situation that requires threading it to tie it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 12:50:48 PM »
Not quite so easy tying it to a tree limb or to a tipi pole unless you know how to do it without having access to the object's ends. :)

......But that's why God invented the Slipped Buntline Hitch. :lol:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:01:38 PM by wolfy »