Author Topic: "Wilderness Day" a film by Roy Dale Sanders for the Minnesota Foundation  (Read 2616 times)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline ro n d

• Mill File+
Re: "Wilderness Day" a film by Roy Dale Sanders for the Minnesota Foundation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:36:51 AM »
Nice old film clip. Thanks!
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:58:33 AM »
   Thanks Diogenes! I will watch it shortly.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »
  Well, I kept at it & finally had the chance to watch all the way thru. I was interrupted too often yesterday to finish.

I enjoyed it very much & it brought back some memories for sure. I haven't been up there for a few years, but as a lad we made trips & after I got married, we used to go just about every year we could, & sometimes 2x a year when we could get away. Had more $$ back then though too. I wish I could get back up there soon, as we really enjoyed the area. My oldest son, Sam & DIL , Lauren , made it their Honeymoon trip, since he liked it there so much, & Lauren, being a Ga. "Peach", had never experienced the BWCA/Quetico-Superior area, so it was a real adventure for her.

I saw the fella had a rifle stock attached to his Super 8 camera at about the 16:00 mark. I remember my dad having one for his 8mm camera long ago. I think my dad made his, not store bought. Nice walleyes also at the 21:30 -22:30 mark or so. They clean them the same way I was taught too!
 :D

They also talk of "pitch pine" ( what I was taught it was called, but now many call it "fatwood', I guess.. Showed them making feather sticks & they even used the same type of match safe I used. ;)
 I lost it somewhere over the years, though... Bummer
:(

Much more other stuff, but I won't spoil it anymore for others who want to watch. I was just reminiscing & priming the pump to get others looking at it.

A lot of pertinent info shared in it also. Info that is/should be just as good today, as well as in the past. Lots of good scenes of woodcraft & such too! Using a canoe, camp tips, etc.  Check out the collapsible bow saw too. Lots of good stuff in it for sure...

I think that you should get more comments on this one topic than it has had so far, as this is real woodscraft/bushcraft as far as I am concerned.
 ;D
   All in all, it was a wonderful share for me & "Thanks Very Much!" for the share!
 :thumbsup:

I wasn't very "brief" in this post, but I was excited to see some of what I grew up with in this short film...
Thanks again, Diogenes!
 :thumbsup:
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »
Is there a more specific link to that video?  I've tried to watch it several times, but it just takes me to a list of YouTube 'suggested' videos that I might like......none in it have anything to do with the BWCAW. :doh: :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xune

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 11:32:27 AM »
Is there a more specific link to that video?  I've tried to watch it several times, but it just takes me to a list of YouTube 'suggested' videos that I might like......none in it have anything to do with the BWCAW. :doh: :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1LErTX4qq0

Here ya go Wolfy

Haven't watched this yet, but I'll get to it later on today. :)
I'll tell you what hermits realizes. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
   I thought ya had that link thing for youtube figured out , wolfy... or I would have posted it also...
 :shrug:

It is really a good one to see & worth the time. Particularly if you have been up there, or places like it.. Even if ya haven't, it shows some good stuff! Especially when you have snow outside your window...
 ;D

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »
Thanks, xune!   Yeah, I have been able to go between brackets on a 'quoted' post with an embedded video in it, copy & paste it and then watch it without a problem, but I couldn't do that with the link diogenes put in the OP.   

FUN old video from times long since past.   The narrator's voice brought back memories of those old films we used to watch in grade school. :canoe:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
MnSportsman: :cheers:

Thanks, xune!   Yeah, I have been able to go between brackets on a 'quoted' post with an embedded video in it, copy & paste it and then watch it without a problem, but I couldn't do that with the link diogenes put in the OP.   

FUN old video from times long since past.   The narrator's voice brought back memories of those old films we used to watch in grade school. :canoe:

Sorry about that, wolfy. I'll avoid posting with the "https" (s for "secure") in the future. I guess the ipad doesn't support it. :-\

Glad you guys enjoyed it as I did. A lot of good scenes and info in there. It's nice to see how it was done back then. 1954- 60 years ago!
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »

Glad you guys enjoyed it as I did. A lot of good scenes and info in there. It's nice to see how it was done back then. 1954- 60 years ago!

BUMP! for goodness!
;)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Am on my way to the airport. I know how I'm killing the time till my flight!
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"