Author Topic: 50 cent knife and first leather sheath  (Read 9018 times)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
50 cent knife and first leather sheath
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:21:08 PM »
I did a re-grind on a Old Hickory butcher knife from an estate sale. I did a short cut to modify the butcher blade to more of a drop point - about 6 inches in length. The scales were loose so I drilled out the rivets and added oak scales.

The knife cost fifty cents and the oak was from a free hardwood floor sample. The blade had turned quite dark and I only lightly sanded and buffed so it would remain mostly dark.

I thought this would be a good knife for my first attempt at a leather sheath. I learned my first lesson with leather. You have to have a clean work area. I started one but ended up with a black smear (about the size and shape of a fingerprint) and could not clean it off the leather. I cut another piece and finished this basic pouch sheath. I rubbed the leather with olive oil; it is not dyed. The knife fits well. It fits snugly around the handle but could have been a little tighter / smaller on the blade end.

"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: 50 cent knife and first leather sheath
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »
Well, that sure turned out nice, Sarge! :).    A lot of tool for VERY little expenditure of frogskins! :thumbsup:    Maybe you could wet-form the sheath to get a better fit? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
Well done as usual! :thumbsup:
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »
Well, that sure turned out nice, Sarge! :).    A lot of tool for VERY little expenditure of frogskins! :thumbsup:    Maybe you could wet-form the sheath to get a better fit? :shrug:

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »
I love Old Hicks and their mods.  Great fun and a great user!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xune

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:55:43 AM »
Looks good sarge. Great find for 50 cents!
I'll tell you what hermits realizes. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.

Offline rlh2

• Mill File+
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 04:38:38 AM »
Sweet!!! Nice mod.
"Help me to be, to think, to act what is right because it is right; make me truthful, honest, and honorable in all things; make me intellectually honest for the sake of right and honor and without thought of reward to me." - Robert E. Lee

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 05:40:53 AM »
Nice work on the knife.
That's your first sheath!?
Wow. Nicely done.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 05:55:22 AM »
I really like how your knife mods worked out- they look great!  Your sheath is super looking as well.  Depending on the weight of your leather, if you want a little tighter fit around the blade, you can cut a small groove on the inside of the sheath right down the center of the fold, then skive (thin) the leather about a half inch on either side, which gives it a bit tighter "bend" or fold.  I think it looks great as is though!

Or wet forming it like Wolfy said will help too.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 06:42:12 AM »
Both knife and sheath look great.   :thumbsup:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 07:59:27 AM »
That is great. I have a question. I have a few similar knives. What do you think about cedar for handle material?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »
Well done and great job on your first sheath.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »
Nice job....I like it.
Yard sales are a good source of old knives, and you have proved how nice they can be when done.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »

I really like how your knife mods worked out- they look great!  Your sheath is super looking as well.  Depending on the weight of your leather, if you want a little tighter fit around the blade, you can cut a small groove on the inside of the sheath right down the center of the fold, then skive (thin) the leather about a half inch on either side, which gives it a bit tighter "bend" or fold.  I think it looks great as is though!

I bought a skiving tool so I'll try that next time. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »

That is great. I have a question. I have a few similar knives. What do you think about cedar for handle material?

I really like the looks of cedar and it would be water / rot resistant. I don't know how durable it would be. I'm not saying it wouldn't be durable...just not sure.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 03:53:50 PM »
awesome talent and nice clean lines. i can't do leather to save my life, i'm jealous.

thanks for sharing
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 06:03:32 PM »
That's a great looking knife and sheath. I know what you mean about handling the leather gently. I've been working with leather recently and have placed many battle scars on the leather with my fingernails and random bits of grit on my working surface. I now have much more appreciation for leather crafting and those that master it.

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »
Yeah, seriously. You've got some serious talent for working with your hands. Surprisingly clean work, especially for your first try. Very impressive! :thumbsup:
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Heater

• Mill File+
  • Scout's Honor
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Beautiful results with both knife and sheath.  :thumbsup:

I've got two Old Hickory 7" butcher knives, one that got passed to me by my mother when I moved into my bachelor existence after college some 40 years back, and another that I came across a few weeks back in a small town antique shop. I credit sites such as this for encouraging me to look at the OH differently; I rescued my first from a kitchen drawer where it languished all these years in the shadows of the fancier carving knives on the rack next to the stove.

Having two, I now am more comfortable thinking about mods to one of them, and your blade mods are nice -- not a complete reshaping of the point, but significant enough in altering the lines nicely.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »
That just turned out great, both knife and sheath.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 12:54:34 PM »
Well done! Ready for a few more decades of service.

Offline Grizzly

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 04:32:03 PM »
Man that turned out NICE!  Was that oak from that 5 free sample thing from Build Direct?  If so...which oak?  I've never seen curls like that in oak before except in some very expensive pieces.  This thing is gorgeous.
Craig R. Collier

Offline ncnurseryman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »
You guys are kicking ass on the knife mods lately and really showing some great ideas.

Offline Grizzly

• Whetstone +
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »
Waitaminute.....upo n a closer look, that's NOT a curl in the Oak...thats from your little bleach soaked twine wrap isn't it? :)
Craig R. Collier

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
Yep, it's poor man's curly oak. It was an oak floor sample (don't remember the specific type) but I dipped jute in stain and wrapped it around the scales. I left the string in place and re-wet it with stain a few times using a dropper. I then put another couple light coats on after removing the string. I didn't use bleach on this one but I've used it on an Old Hickory handle before to lighten the original stain.

Thanks!

Offline Boreas

• Whetstone +
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 05:27:47 PM »
That looks great Sarge. Coincidentally, last week I made my first sheath for an OH 7in butcher. I'll spare everyone a photo because yours makes my masterpiece look like scrap. Mine is similarly designed and wet forming did give a good positive fit to the knife. I have another butcher without scales I'm saving for a rainy day, the possibilities for mods are endless it seems

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 09:54:04 PM »
Thanks, Boreas. I'd like to see your project. Trust me...I've posted some rough stuff here and this crew offers plenty of encouragement and constructive advice. I'm an Old Hickory fan. I have a new 7" butcher...trying to decide how to mod it.

Offline Boreas

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »
Well here it is then.  Still haven't decided how to finish it.  I thought about hot waxing it, but maybe I'd better try on something else first.  I'd like to keep the rigidity of the leather as is, not sure if oil would be the way to go.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
Oil will definitely soften it, but hot-waxing will help stiffen it. :thumbsup:  I wax all my sheaths & I think it's the best way to go, but others may have their own ideas and reasons for doing something else, too. :shrug:

Offline hiwa

• Whetstone +
  • Alberta Bushcrafter
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »
I wet form and beeswax all my sheaths . I started with pure beeswax ; now use 50/50 belnd with pure neats foot oil I made up. Here's a tip ; when wet forming , try to avoid the belt loop as much as you can. It will stay more flexible and not as hard as the rest of the sheath.

Really great first sheath Sarge!

Hope you don't mind me showing a couple I did for some Sogs in my earlier leather days. They have the beeswax treatment. I don't oil leather with straight oil unless it's really cracked or old , but use saddle soap to keep them supple and clean. Works better than oil , Imo.

Offline Grizzly

• Whetstone +
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
Sarge-  Poor man's curly oak huh?  I am definitely going to have to try that!!

Hiwa- A 50/50 blend of beeswax and neats foot oil is almost too much oil.  I have found that doing a 1/3s mixture using paraffin, beeswax and NFO yields a better mixture with less oil that can cause softening issues down the road.
Craig R. Collier

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 06:06:22 AM »
Hey Boreas, glad you posted it. I like your wet form. I should have worked more on forming mine. The knife is still too loose in the sheath.

I haven't tried any of the wax treatment but I might after reading some of these suggestions.

Hiwa,
Thanks and heck no I don't mind you showing your sheaths here. Nice work. Is that a Seal Pup and a NW Ranger? How do you like them?

Grizzly, I've seen some of your wood treatments. Good stuff. Let us know if you try try any string wraps.

Offline hiwa

• Whetstone +
  • Alberta Bushcrafter
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
Yes , Seal Pup Elite and Northwest ranger ( newer models.) The seal pup is a lot beefier knife than the ranger ( the ranger is still alright though) I prefer the seal pup for bush work. They went up a lot in price recently.

I have a few in black tini and satin finish. Btw , Sog's black finish is the best out there ,imo  if you like that look. The Sog force is my favorite Sog knife by far , but the Seal pup is a close second for sure. It is a very tough knife , light to carry , and a great slicer/overall small woods knife even though it doesn't fit the typical bushcraft knife criteria.

Thanks for the tip on the wax mix , Grizzly. When I can get some more beeswax I'll try to up the wax content ( I have it melted/solidified in a #10 can)  When first mixing it up  , I though I didn't have enough oil, lol.
 I was trying to get a creamy texture ( like Sno-seal) but even at 50/50 when it cools off it fully solidifies. I think I will do what you suggest though. I used to just use pure beesway in the beginning of my leatherwork hobby.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:31:25 AM by hiwa »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
You might consider just buying a can of SnoSeal, too.  I've used a lot of that stuff on sheaths & boots.....very handy pre-mixed neatsfoot oil/beeswax.  I just melt it right in the pint can, brush it on and hit it with a hair dryer to help it penetrate faster.....works real well! :thumbsup:

Offline Grizzly

• Whetstone +
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 03:21:02 PM »
50/50 oil and beeswax hardens fully?  Hmmm.  With a 1/3s mixture using paraffin, beeswax and pure NFO, I have a texture that's not fully solid, yet not really soft either.  I can smudge it around in the jar on my finger, but its not goopy, say like Mink Oil paste is.

Sno-Seal and Montana Pitch Blend are also great sheath treatments. 
Craig R. Collier

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »

Yes , Seal Pup Elite and Northwest ranger ( newer models.) The seal pup is a lot beefier knife than the ranger ( the ranger is still alright though) I prefer the seal pup for bush work. They went up a lot in price recently.

I have a few in black tini and satin finish. Btw , Sog's black finish is the best out there ,imo  if you like that look. The Sog force is my favorite Sog knife by far , but the Seal pup is a close second for sure. It is a very tough knife , light to carry , and a great slicer/overall small woods knife even though it doesn't fit the typical bushcraft knife criteria.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I like the looks of the Ranger but that Seal Pup gets crazy good reviews. I think I've read more reviews on it than any other knife. I like the Force, too.

Offline Sundance Creek

• Mill File
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2018, 07:10:22 AM »

this is the kind of tip I search for

never could get the bend as tight as I wanted

until now with this tip

ty