Author Topic: Spoon #5  (Read 1972 times)

Offline kiwi

• Mill File+
Spoon #5
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:21:27 AM »
Another made from Macrocarpa (commonly known as Monterey cypress according to wikipedia), piece of seasoned workshop "scrap", bandsaw rough out (I don't have a hatchet yet) and carved with flexcut travel gouges and Svord knife. Sanded with hand belt sander and finished with beeswax.
Not sure what style it is? Just started drawing on the wood blank and this came out.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:34:05 AM by kiwi »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Spoon #5
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:53:22 AM »
Another nice job! 
A hand belt sander is what I must use, also. I lay it upside down on my work bench and clamp it down. Then I use the trigger lock to keep it running so I can use both hands on the work piece. Not ideal, but it gets the job done.
My other system is drum sander arbors for my drill press. I use both 1 1/2" and 3/4" drums. Works pretty well for detailed work, and curves that would be impossible with the belt sander. That's what I used to shape the handle for the machete I posted here recently.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »
Damn fine work buddy can't way to see what ya do with a hatchet
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline kiwi

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »
Thanks guys

OP - when I say hand belt sander I meant the curved stick shown in the top photo - an ingenious idea I "borrowed" from Sean Hellman (don't think he had a patent on it?.... :-[)Any way it works great on curved surfaces and you can adjust the tension of belt with the little wedge insert.

cheers easy, yeah a hatchet/carver of some description is on the wishlist, gotta get my hook knife first though, who would of thought making a spoon could be so addictive and enjoyable?  :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:04:31 PM »
Thanks guys

OP - when I say hand belt sander I meant the curved stick shown in the top photo - an ingenious idea I "borrowed" from Sean Hellman ...

Doh.... :doh:
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!