Author Topic: Sarge's stuff  (Read 130464 times)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: Sarge's stuff
« Reply #550 on: December 15, 2018, 08:38:12 AM »
those look awesome mike!  I like the looks of the giraffe bone as well.  Very handsome appeal.  You are really getting your craft down. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #551 on: December 15, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »
I liked the one with the colored giraffe-bone handle.....and the sheath with the dyed tooling along the welt! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:    How in the world did you do that without 'coloring outside the lines?' :shrug:

I liked your forge, too......did you take any photos of the build?
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #552 on: December 15, 2018, 04:37:34 PM »
Thank you, guys.

Yep, Stan, I've singed hair a couple times getting too close to it. I've learn to keep my distance.

OE, the color of that giraffe bone is called fossil. Ordered it from Jantz - there are some really interesting colors. I'll try some more of it for sure.

Wolfy, I learned by accident with that punch ... the dye seems to follow the lines in those scallops outward from the center. With the leather still damp from stamping it, I wet a sponge with dye and run it around the edge of the sheath. Then the dye sorta "radiates" to the edge of each tool mark. Finish with a little touching-up using the dye on a small paint brush.

No real forge build pics. I roughly followed the build here starting with the $25 air tank from Tractor Supply   

http://zoellerforge.com/airtank.html

except I used a hinge to reattach the end of the tank. I roll mine outside to use and back inside to store it. I didn't want to have to stack bricks in front of it.

I built the burner based on this video.
https://youtu.be/Miri90Hlzh0

I got the pipe/fittings at a local hardware store. I used 1 1/2" pieces instead of 2" as in the video. Ordered the ceramic blanket and refractory off Ebay. Relatively easy project ... I wish I had done it sooner.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #553 on: December 15, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
Thanks, Mike.....I guess I kinda' figured that's what happened with the dye migration into the stamping.  I've never tried it, but I think I'll give it a whirl next time I build a sheath......I really like the look! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the forge construction ideas, too.....sure beats the heck out of a coal forge. ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:36:57 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #554 on: December 18, 2018, 04:19:03 AM »
Awesome work.  Cool trick with the dye.