Author Topic: H.E.S.T - Hostile Environment Sleeping Tool  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
H.E.S.T - Hostile Environment Sleeping Tool
« on: April 01, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »
you may or may not find this interesting. that's it.
I bought this silly looking knife because I am a multi-tool junkie...also it has skull on it. Turns out ESEE is an awesome company and I subsequently bought an esee 3 which I loved. I stripped the HEST and carried it for, I don't know, a bit. Then my brother shipped out to Helmand for his third tour and I decided to try to get rid of this silly looking knife by sending it halfway across the globe. And much like Nermal does when Garfield sends her to Abu-Dabi it found it's way back to me. My brother, like all service men has an extra room in his house filled with OD green crap and tries to get rid of it whenever possible so I agreed to take Nermal back. Turns out he carried it everyday and kept it under his head at night on missions, which is where it found its primary calling. But he did use the hell out of it otherwise, found it to be a serviceable blade and got it nice and dirty. there's sand from Afghanistan still on it. Pretty cool.

I was thinking of voiding the warranty by getting someone to try to braze some carbide into the stupid bottle opener.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: H.E.S.T - Hostile Environment Sleeping Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
I think it's pretty interesting looking. At the very least you have a good story and fantastic memories to go with it now!
Axes Rock!

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »
Great story with that knife! It's a keeper now just for the stories it could tell.

Oh, and that bottle opener is only stupid until you're find yourself parched with a non-twistoff bottle of beer in your hand LOL!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 06:07:48 PM »
They are neat. It's too bad they quit making them.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
ya, I like it more than I let on, I'm from Massachusetts so I only know how to communicate via sarcasm. It'll be a keeper and a user. I still think it would be better without the bottle opener though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:15:47 PM by Binalith »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »
It would certainly look better without it. But I hafta say I'm surprised at all the times my SAK bottle opener has come in handy.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
ya, I can imagine some other lifting/prying/peeling applications as well.

Anyone else own one of these?

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 11:13:40 PM »
I like it. Actually I think the more little gizmos you could fit into a knife the better it would be as long as they are useful. I think a can opener ground in there somewhere would be nice. Is that a line cutter on the bottom?
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 05:03:14 AM »
I think it's cool looking but also a useful design.  I'd leave it as is and use the heck out of it!!