Author Topic: Sawyer Water Filters, Mini or Squeeze?  (Read 634 times)

Offline AnthonyP

• Whetstone +
Sawyer Water Filters, Mini or Squeeze?
« on: May 14, 2014, 07:17:28 AM »
Hello, anyone use Sawyer Filters and is there an advantage to the full sized over the Mini? I am thinking of replacing my hiker for something lighter.  Thanks for reading.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
Re: Sawyer Water Filters, Mini or Squeeze?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:53:41 AM »
My buddy has the Squeeze and I have the Mini.  I don't see a big difference in flow.  However the Mini only comes with a small squeeze bag so I purchased the two liter pack that comes two to a package. 

One difference between the Hiker Pro and the Squeeze is the Hiker Pro has a built in charcoal filter as well as the micro filter.  The Sawyer filters do not.  So if you are getting brackish water you will not get the taste improvements you get from the Hiker Pro.  But if you are thirsty even nasty swamp water is better than nothing. 

One very positive with the Sawyer is they come with a syringe to back flush it.  I recommend taking that with you.    Since there is no prefilter the syringe comes in handy even when the water looks pretty clean.  Of course if the water is that clean just take AquaMira drops.  They are much lighter than a filter and you get extra protein with the little floaties.