Author Topic: CHEAP CHINESE ALTERNATIVE TO A BRUNTON POCKET TRANSIT  (Read 32939 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
CHEAP CHINESE ALTERNATIVE TO A BRUNTON POCKET TRANSIT
« on: May 14, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »
I bought one of these Chinese knockoffs of a Brunton Pocket Transit....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151235760642

At less than 10% of the price of one of Brunton's composite transits....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231190344062

I didn't expect much for $24.99, but I was very pleasantly surprised at the accuracy & how well it works.  The needle settles very quickly, is easy to read to 1/2 degree and points exactly 180 degrees apart at each end of the needle at each quadrant.  It sets just like the Brunton for local magnetic declination.  The bullseye level bubble centers well in the 'bullseye' and the long level works well for measuring degree of slope.  There is no vernier scale for % of grade and for some reason the slope scale only reads to 70* instead of the 90* scale that the Bruntons have. :shrug:  Being plastic, it is very light, so it would not work well as a plumb bob like the heavy aluminum Brunton would, but it is a joy to carry.  The sights align and are as accurate as the Brunton's.  It has 'milled' slots for use with a swivel yoke on a tripod or Jacob's staff......just like the Brunton.  The mirror is not glass, but is either plastic or metal....I can't tell which.  It works OK, but as expected, does not give as true a reflection as the Brunton's glass mirror.  Available in O.D. green or black, the hinged lid snaps securely and there's a button that raises the needle off the pivot point for carry when the lid is closed, but there is no carrying case.  FREE shipping & I had mine in hand 8 days after ordering!

If any of you guys that would like to try out the many features that pocket transits have, and don't want to spend much money to do it, you should give one of these inexpensive, but very accurate Chinese knockoffs a try.  I couldn't find anything wrong with the one I have. :shrug:

:banana: WOLFY APPROVED :banana:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:04:22 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: CHEAP CHINESE ALTERNATIVE TO A BRUNTON POCKET TRANSIT
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »
I have only a little experience using these pocket transits (and never to their potential) but the difference in price is incredible.  Brunton makes pretty good binoculars and other very nice items, and several  models of these pocket transits.  I think some of Brunton's manufacturing is Asian but it bothers me that China can make one that appears to be a copy for that little bit of a price.  It would be hard to justify the Brunton unless you were using it for professional work or in an environment where you life depended on it.  Good find Wolfy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »
That's odd.  According to their write up, it should have a 90* vertical scale.

My question is how durable is it?  Gonna put it through a workout for us Wolfy?
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that the copy is of the same quality or that it has the inherent durability of the Brunton, but to give the Brunton system versatility and capabilities a try, or as a student learning tool, it is well worth the money.  The accuracy of the example I received is dead-nuts on in comparing it side by side with my Brunton International. There is no induction dampening for the needle, but it does settle quickly.  I don't know if they are all this accurate, but this one is.  The lens is plastic, I think, so it will scratch more readily than the Brunton's glass lens and if it were dropped on a hard surface from several feet, it might not survive, but dropping ANY transit can screw up the accuracy, so you'll have to go elsewhere to see side by side drop tests. :doh:    The copy is incorrect if it says they go to 90 degrees and if you look closely at the zoomed picture of the knockoff, you can see that it only goes to 70 degrees.  Another thing I forgot to mention in my first post is that the sights are NOT adjustable like the Bruntons are, but this one aligned perfectly and no adjustments were necessary. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:48:54 PM by wolfy »

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:52:39 PM »
No Wolfy, I wasn't poking at you or your review.  The write up for the pocket transit you purchased must have a typo in it.  7 and 9 look a lot alike when someone has crappy handwriting.

I don't expect the copy to be the same as a Brunton's and I know better than to drop my instruments, but crap happens you know.  Watched a guy I worked with spin an Trimble R8 antenna off the rod and drop it 7 feet onto the road.  He laughed.  The party chief and I gasped.  To our dismay, it still worked and was accurate.   Now I don't expect this to be dropped 7 feet while open and have it function afterwards. I was more wondering if it would last a weekend event or if the third/thirtieth time you opened it would it break.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
Yeah, I knew you were just curious, so all is well. :cheers:   To answer your question.....Yes, I believe it will last for a good long time with just a modicum of care & using good common sense with the realization that it is just not as bullet-proof as a Brunton.   It sure works well, though.....I've been playing around with it a lot & have been carrying it in the center console of the pickup for about a month with no problems. :thumbsup:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 10:50:05 PM »
Thanks for the review Wolfy!

For the price it would be hard to choose between this one and the Harbin without the dampened needle.

I will say that as far as the plastic genuine Brunton goes, it is a nice instrument but I think it is priced too high for what you get. When you consider a smart phone costs as much as a compass, it puts things into perspective.

I think competition is good for consumers. It gives people options, makes things available to people who might not be able to afford the genuine article, and can bring prices down to earth for the read deal.

Offline brush_loper

• Mill File+
    • Brushloper Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 07:52:23 AM »
Looks exactly like my Brunton, which is plastic too and non maintainable (can't take it apart).

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »
PW has a Harbin transit that he reviewed sometime back.  It looks a little different than that one, but I imagine the quality would be similar.  It certainly LOOKS like a good one to me.   As I recall, Ron thought it was acceptable, but of course not a Brunton, either.  His review was well done and worth doing a search for. :thumbsup: Here is one of Ron's reviews..... http://bladesandbushcraft.com/index.php/topic,3214.0.html

As far as comparing the plastic El Cheapo Transit ($24.99 w/ FREE shipping) to the Harbin ($45.65 w/ NOT FREE shipping).....without having the Harbin in hand to compare, I really can't give you a fair comparison.  I will say, however, that the cheap plastic one I bought was every bit as accurate as the Brunton I have!   The needle is not as blunt & 'clunky' on the plastic transit as it is on the Harbin, the ends of the needle are sharper and closer to the degree marks on the dial (making it easier to see & read without guesswork) and the reciprocal readings at each end of the needle were well within a half a degree of one another......if I recall correctly from Ron's review, that was one of his complaints with the Harbin.  This Harbin has provision for balancing the needle via a slider, too, but the plastic version does not.  It's interesting that the plastic El Cheapo has slots for mounting to a swivel yoke, but it appears that the Harbin does not.....that's important to me, but may not be to you.   If you value lightness for carrying it around with you on hikes.....metal vs. plastic is a consideration, too.  Aluminum  Bruntons and their copies are NOT lightweights by any stretch of the imagination!

The second compass, I've looked at before, but know nothing about. :P   Personally, I'd opt for a luminous civilian Cammenga.  I KNOW they're good, induction damped (with no worries about bubbles forming), durable and very accurate.....just as accurate as my Suunto KB-14 and less finicky to position for an accurate reading!  This Chinese compass looks a little too 'gimmicky' to me, but again, I know nothing about it and it COULD be very good......I dun'no. :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:19:20 PM by wolfy »

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »
That is pretty cool.  For $25 I will have to get one to play with.   I am getting to the point where it will be my turn to plan a SAR exercise for our group and I would like to do something that is very orienteering intensive.  This could really help me make sure I have everything set up as accurately as possible.   

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »
It would be perfect for an application like that, Draco. :thumbsup:  There should be no question that your readings are dead-nuts on the money as long as you are careful in making your sightings, you have your declination set up accurately with the latest updated information for your specific course location.......AND you are lucky enough not to have to put up with any local outside deviation interference. :doh:    Backbearings taken from each succeeding 'station' should tell you if any of that is going on, though. 8)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
Backbearings taken from each succeeding 'station' should tell you if any of that is going on, though. 8)

I was figuring that would be a good way to be sure.  One of our exercises they told us that someone had headed out at a bearing from the "little trailer" located in between two very large semi trailers.  You had to stand way away and shoot a back azimuth and move until you were on the correct line then shoot your azimuth.  One reason they have us use two hiking polls is to plant one and shoot a back azimuth at it to be sure you are on the correct line.  Fun stuff. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »
This is a set of instructions for the Brunton pocket transit, but it pretty much covers the capabilities of all of them no matter who makes them.   Just thought it might be useful to someone unfamiliar with all the different problems that can be solved with one......

http://kooters.com/pdf/BruntonTransit-inst.pdf

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 01:49:47 AM »
 I am pretty sure Harbin makes both the deal extreme one and the CST Berger I have. With this new plastic one at $25 I would buy it before the aluminum model at $39.

Though it is likely they will eventually make a magnetic damped version in plastic.

I used my Berger to successfully traverse from a township corner to a subdivision boundary marker and ended up only about 4 feet off the mark after 3 crude setups using a photography tripod. So it did what I expected of it, which was to get me close enough to locate existing markers. If you aren't a professional then it might be hard to justify the price of the real thing. That said, I worked for a surveying company on and off for about 5 years and they never used Bruntons for anything. It was always theodolites and total stations.

In any case they are very handy and take up a lot less space than a big instrument. But you need a tripod to get the most from them so I wouldn't get one that can't be used with a tripod like the non damped aluminum Harbin.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 08:00:52 AM »
I saw that someone was reading this old thread again and thought that I might add an additional thought that I had about this plastic transit.   I stated in my review that it is not induction damped, but I based that assumption on the fact that it is not listed as one of its features in the description on eBay & I can't read the instruction sheet that came with it because it's written in Chinese. ???   I can't say for CERTAIN that it is induction damped, but judging from how quickly it settles after using it quite a bit more, I think that it almost has to be. :shrug:    As I said before, it's a lot of compass with a lot of capabilities for a paltry $25! :thumbsup:

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 08:35:33 AM »
Alright Wolfy, you've talked me into getting one.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
I hope it is as good as the example they sent to me, Aven!   I was hoping SOMEONE would order one, just to see if mine is just an anomaly or most, if not ALL of them, are as well done and accurate as mine is. 

I realize that when ordering this stuff from China, it's kind of a roll of the dice in what you get sometimes, but still, $24.99 is not a whole bunch to gamble at the Chinese craps tables, either.  I'm anxious to hear what you think of yours after you put it through the paces.  Shipping only took a little more than a week from the time I ordered mine until I had it in hand. 

BON CHANCE! :thumbsup:

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
I'll definitely let you know my thoughts after I've had some time with it.

Seems someone with a better command of English has rewritten the description.

"This lightweight and durable transit was designed for the specific tasks required of geologists, surveyors, mining engineers, civil engineers, environmental engineers and foresters. The direct-read compass capsule of this transit features 1 degree resolution and 1/2 degree accuracy. And the dry compass capsule of this quick dampening needle features both a needle-lock to protect the compass assembly during transit and gear driven adjustable declination to allow for simple compensated bearings.

The vertical angle clinometer scale featuring 1 degree increments has a range of 90 degrees or 100% grade scale with an accuracy of 1/2 degree. A percent grade scale features increments of 5%.

Other features include a compass bubble level, clinometer level, sighting mirror with lubber line and sighting hole, induction dampened needle, and adjustable sighting points."

On a side note, Wolfy can you tell what the size and depth of the threads are?  If I can find the time, I'd like to put a staff together for it.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »
Aven will let us know how it is when you receive it. I'm also interested in getting one as well.

Thanks Swamp

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »
Aven will let us know how it is when you receive it. I'm also interested in getting one as well.

Thanks Swamp

SwampHanger, when I went back to look at the description, I noticed that they are offering other compasses that might appeal to someone who doesn't need a micro-transit.  A couple of them were going for $15 shipped.  Might be worth looking at the rest of their inventory.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »
Thanks I'll check them out.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »
I'll definitely let you know my thoughts after I've had some time with it.

Seems someone with a better command of English has rewritten the description.

"This lightweight and durable transit was designed for the specific tasks required of geologists, surveyors, mining engineers, civil engineers, environmental engineers and foresters. The direct-read compass capsule of this transit features 1 degree resolution and 1/2 degree accuracy. And the dry compass capsule of this quick dampening needle features both a needle-lock to protect the compass assembly during transit and gear driven adjustable declination to allow for simple compensated bearings.

The vertical angle clinometer scale featuring 1 degree increments has a range of 90 degrees or 100% grade scale with an accuracy of 1/2 degree. A percent grade scale features increments of 5%.

Other features include a compass bubble level, clinometer level, sighting mirror with lubber line and sighting hole, induction dampened needle, and adjustable sighting points."

On a side note, Wolfy can you tell what the size and depth of the threads are?  If I can find the time, I'd like to put a staff together for it.
Aven, there are no threads on mine, just the two slots in the sides that accept the standard Brunton ball/swivel yoke.  The yoke accepts the standard 1/4" X 28 TPI  stud found on the Brunton non-magnetic tripod and other camera tripods.  I would keep watching eBay for those items, as they seem outrageously priced if purchased new from Brunton or distributors like Forestry Suppliers.  I even bought an almost brand new Jacob's staff on eBay for about what you'd pay for a good shovel handle at the hardware store! :banana:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »

Thanks Swamp
Don't trust ME, huh? :shrug: :rofl:

Offline Outbackwack

• Mill File
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 02:51:07 PM »
What's the difference between a transit and a sighting compass? I use the Silva Ranger CL that has the clinometer and magnetic north adjustment. My old one was 20 years old and got a bubble in it and they replaced it no questions asked.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
- Yogi Berra

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
I think the best way to answer your question would be for you to read through this set of instructions for the Brunton pocket transit........

http://kooters.com/pdf/BruntonTransit-inst.pdf

They are a VERY useful instrument for all kinds of situations, but there are more functions in the design than many people would ever use or think to.   I used mine this spring to see if a dead elm tree was tall enough to fall on our tractor shed before cutting it down.  They're a lot of fun to play with, too! :banana:

Oh yeah......They never get bubbles in them, either. ;)

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »

Thanks Swamp

Just repeating what you said about not knowing their QC and was interested.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 03:38:11 PM »

Thanks Swamp

Just repeating what you said about not knowing their QC and was interested.
Yeah, I know.......I was just funnin'  :lol: :cheers:

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
Aven, there are no threads on mine, just the two slots in the sides that accept the standard Brunton ball/swivel yoke.  The yoke accepts the standard 1/4" X 28 TPI  stud found on the Brunton non-magnetic tripod and other camera tripods.  I would keep watching eBay for those items, as they seem outrageously priced if purchased new from Brunton or distributors like Forestry Suppliers.  I even bought an almost brand new Jacob's staff on eBay for about what you'd pay for a good shovel handle at the hardware store! :banana:

Okay.  I can see the two slots on the side in the last picture.  What is the black piece of plastic for?  I thought it was a cover.  It it how you adjust your declination?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »

Okay.  I can see the two slots on the side in the last picture.  What is the black piece of plastic for?  I thought it was a cover.  It it how you adjust your declination?
The plastic lever on the bottom is for moving the inclination scale and the long bubble-level.  There is a screw in the corner of the case that moves the geared azimuth ring for declination adjustment.  If you read that instruction PDF for the Brunton that I provided in my answer to Outwackback's question, it will show exactly how the Brunton AND the Chinese transit's functions operate. :thumbsup:

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »

The plastic lever on the bottom is for moving the inclination scale and the long bubble-level.  There is a screw in the corner of the case that moves the geared azimuth ring for declination adjustment.  If you read that instruction PDF for the Brunton that I provided in my answer to Outwackback's question, it will show exactly how the Brunton AND the Chinese transit's functions operate. :thumbsup:

What?  Read the instruction manual?  That's just nuts if you ask me.

Well, crap one more pdf manual to add to the pile.  Why can't they just print the dang things out any more?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 07:11:26 PM »
They do......it comes with the new $400 Bruntons! :rofl:

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 07:18:39 PM »
They do......it comes with the new $400 Bruntons! :rofl:

That's an expensive manual.  I guess I'll just go buy ink.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »
The manual is really only a few pages. It's nice to have a reference to take in the field with you when you are familiarizing yourself with the transit. After using it for a bit you won't need the manual.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »
$21.00 WOW!  I had to use a Brunton in my first year of college for a land surveying course. Started with a chain, then the Brunton and on to levels and transits.  I think I remember how the range rod works...
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »
that is cheap. Do you have one these wolfy?

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
that is cheap. Do you have one these wolfy?

Creek
Yup.....I evaluated it in post #1 and I even convinced PW to try one.  They're well worth the money for all they're capable of.......as a matter of fact, it has already been given the coveted "WOLFY APPROVED" seal of approval! 8)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2014, 11:11:18 PM »
Yep. For the cost of a cheap baseplate compass you can get one of these and have a lot more capability. Still, a baseplate compass is as simple as it gets for use with a map.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:27:01 AM by wolfy »

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2014, 07:36:54 AM »
Wolfy,

You should get a job doing infomercials on cable TV!   8)

Just ordered one and also downloaded that manual (pdf) you posted a link to.

Thanks! It looks like a good deal to me.  :)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
There is no such thing as One True Way.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »
.......BUT WAIT!    If you order within the next 24 hrs., you'll get SECOND COMPASS......FREE!   Just pay separate shipping & handling charges.  Allow 4-8 weeks for delivery. 8)

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2014, 02:07:04 PM »
You're a natural!  :rofl:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
There is no such thing as One True Way.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »
I have one of these, and not a damn clue how to use it

Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
SIXFOOTER, go back up to "Reply #25" and download that PDF shown there.....it'll answer all of your questions and reveal all the usefulness that thing is capable of. :thumbsup:

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 07:53:18 AM »
Cool, Thanks Wolfy
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2014, 08:55:47 AM »
Actually, that thing is pretty cool wolfy... I never even thought about the ability to measure height but yea that could come in very handy for several reasons...
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »
Actually, that thing is pretty cool wolfy... I never even thought about the ability to measure height but yea that could come in very handy for several reasons...

Like, "If I cut this tree down so it falls across this creek, will it make it all the way across?" :D

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2014, 12:38:53 PM »

Like, "If I cut this tree down so it falls across this creek, will it make it all the way across?" :D

Maybe... >:D    lol
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
Well, being a hopeless geek, I had to have one of these.  I did not choose the lowest price, I ordered from the vendor with the highest rating.  Cost an extra $2. I also downloaded th Brunton Manual, thanks.  Now that I have an elegant solution, I need to go find the problem.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver