Author Topic: Krac day trip on the river 5-24-14  (Read 3516 times)

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
Krac day trip on the river 5-24-14
« on: May 25, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »
 Yellow Yak, Spyder, Mad Max, Swamphanger all met at a parking lot to start the convoy to the river not that it was real far. We unloaded our canoes and of coarse one Yellow Yak. All had brought their packs and fishing gear and in Krac fashion plenty of food. As we left the put in the fish were popping everywhere. A lazy paddle down the shaded river towards our temp day camp was a couple miles down river. Everyone caught up with each other and talked about gear and wants and haves and how too much we already have in gear. the river was beautiful as always with plenty of Floral and Fauna. Alot of things in bloom and we talked about some of the wild edibles as we passed them. As we reached the island get away we did a quick survey and started rigging fishing poles. Didn't take long and we were piling back into the crafts to catch a few fish. I was using a fly rod with the spider style popper. YY was using a spinning outfit as was Spyder along with a cane pole. Mad Max had his Tecnu rod in hand. I believe we all caught a couple brim each and Spyder caught one Speck. After a couple hours in the full sun we headed to the shade of the huge Live Oaks our fire pits were set up under and that cool shade. We collected some downed oak for fuel to cook our meals. Yellow Yak had brought some huge Rib-eye's and some squash along with some bread. Mad Max brought some cheese and bread and much need prep tray. Spyders contribution was his brazier grill and a nice pot of red beans and rice. I brought fresh rabbit sausage and rabbit shoulders. Yes we were full as ticks and never even got out the shoulders. No one had room from it all. After the meal we rolled around and talked of future trips and places that needed some investigating. Before long we realized we were going to be late getting home and packed up and again had a nice return paddle. Since it had warmed up real well by then all of our reptile friends were out swimming around us and we guessed how long each one was. Once at the ramp its the usual anticlimatic load up an head out. Was really glad to catch up with everyone and had a great time. we will do it again soon.

Offline ncnurseryman

• Whetstone +
Re: Krac day trip on the river 5-24-14
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
Looked like a great day trip and good fishing :canoe:

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:43:52 PM »
That was a fine day out with good friends.  I couldn't believe the fish that were jumping all around us.  One gator was scary big.  The birds and frogs serenaded us.  The food was superb as usual.

Kephart once wrote about the planning of camps and thinking about equipment choices was a very enjoyable pastime.  We engaged in that in that conversation a lot.

A very fitting and thoroughly enjoyable last paddle for me this season in FL.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:46:39 PM »
Yep, great paddle with some great friends, good food and fishing. I'll postup the few photos I got shortly
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 01:38:05 PM »
Great day on the Withlacoochee River. This is one of SwampHanger's favorite stomping grounds and an absolutely gorgeous river. We were lucky with the weather, not too hot or humid. The fishing was fun, caught a nice well fed brim. This river runs South to North and empties out into the Gulf of Mexico. I was fishing the tree line on the Eastern side of the river, just letting the slow flow carry me along in the shade.

After fishing we got back to camp and hung out for a while and then got a couple of fires started for cooking. In the picture above that SwampHanger posted of me down by the fire pit, I was using his fire steel and the can opener on my Leatherman to light the tender that MadMax and had gathered. It took me about 15 or so strokes to get the tinder started, then it went out. SwampHanger gathered some more tender, then Spyder bent over, took one or two strokes with his ferro rod and sent a shower of sparks on the tender, fires on. I need to practice my ferro rod skills a little more LOL.

It was a great day out with a great group of friends. Here's just a few pictures.

Our day camp

Spyder, SwampHanger, and MadMax discussing the topo map of the area

Spyder's cool Brazer grill, keeping a pot of great tasting beans and rice hot while a couple of rib-eyes with homemade sea salt and black pepper get grilled

SwampHanger's excellent rabbit sausage, along with some steak and zucchini brushed with olive oil, a little garlic salt and pepper.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 03:04:54 PM »
That salt and quality of steak could not be beat YY. 

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 03:10:20 PM »
Looks like a great trip.  Glad you guys had fun.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »

Good stuff  :cheers: 

Was that your rabbit sausage in the 1st pic Swamp? and is the salt your talking about the stuff that YY made from his sea-water experiment?
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
Thanks for the pics and reports I would have been there if I was in Florida. 

Glad to see that YY salt made the trip also.

Madmax you take it easy and have a good summer in NC.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »

Was that your rabbit sausage in the 1st pic Swamp? and is the salt your talking about the stuff that YY made from his sea-water experiment?

Yea, that was Jimmy's rabbit sausage, it was out of this world. And yes, I took along some of my sea-water experiment sea salt, good stuff.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 05:28:42 PM »
Thanks Ron.  Looking forward to the cool mountains.  Have a good summer and see ya next fall.   :)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »

Yea, that was Jimmy's rabbit sausage, it was out of this world. And yes, I took along some of my sea-water experiment sea salt, good stuff.

Cool...glad to hear they were both a success  :cheers:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »
Good stuff  :canoe: I'll get down there and annoy you guys one day. Things are slowly settling down for me and I'm glad.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »
Sorry so slow in posting the photos. Should have got more while we were paddling.

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 08:25:32 PM »
Looks delicious as usual! Did you ever try smoking the salt?