Author Topic: Diogenes' Day Hikes - 2014 *Pic Heavy*  (Read 20917 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Diogenes' Day Hikes - 2014 *Pic Heavy*
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »
What KK said. :thumbsup:    I love the shots of Finn.....always looks like a rocket ready for launch! :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Re: Diogenes' Day Hikes - 2014
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
Cheers, KK. And a Merry Christmas to you and yours, too. :cheers:

Stan: So, after some searching this is what I found out. Up until ~1500 the area was quarried by the Native Americans for what's called "Crescent Hills Chert." It's supposed to be highly valued for tool-making. I can vouch for it, too. The way this stuff throws sparks off that steel you might think I was using a ferro rod. They're also pretty sure there was some kind of settlement above the flood plain that I hiked through. Interesting stuff.

Yup. Finn's a good pup. We have to keep him tied up, which sucks, but we make it work. :)

Thanks, wolfy. We need to move to a farm and get some pygmy goats for Finn to herd. He'd be about as happy as can be then.

Merry Christmas, guys. :cheers:
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »
Cheers, KK. And a Merry Christmas to you and yours, too. :cheers:

Stan: So, after some searching this is what I found out. Up until ~1500 the area was quarried by the Native Americans for what's called "Crescent Hills Chert." It's supposed to be highly valued for tool-making. I can vouch for it, too. The way this stuff throws sparks off that steel you might think I was using a ferro rod. They're also pretty sure there was some kind of settlement above the flood plain that I hiked through. Interesting stuff.

Yup. Finn's a good pup. We have to keep him tied up, which sucks, but we make it work. :)

Thanks Diogenes, that is very interesting to know of a source site for good chert. 

Thanks, wolfy. We need to move to a farm and get some pygmy goats for Finn to herd. He'd be about as happy as can be then.

Merry Christmas, guys. :cheers:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2014, 09:30:05 PM »
Thanks Diogenes, that is very interesting to know of a source site for good chert. 

Well, let me know if you need some and I can send you a chunk, Stan. :)

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2014, 08:24:59 PM »
Went to the confluence this afternoon. There was a little bit of "beach" to explore but nothing like we'd seen in the past. Temps got above 50, but it was pretty windy. Still really nice though.

My parents and sisters came out for a little bit.

A spot of tea. Doesn't even look like a fire's going. The wind I guess.

Short trip, but nice.

Have a good one, guys. :)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2014, 05:26:55 AM »
More great views.  Thanks.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »
This'll be my last trip report of the year. This'll draw D's Day Hikes, 2014 Edition to a close. I'll start a new one for 2015 as soon as I can.

Yesterday, I took the wife, the dog, my parents and my little sister out to one of my favorite spots in Missouri. It's a remote and beautiful place, a couple hours drive from home. I wish I could get there more often.

It's only a mile or so hike from the trailhead. Many streams to cross on the way.

We're finally getting into that cold season. Lots of ice everywhere.

Into the canyon.

Lots of climbing.

Lots of slick spots.

Terrain's fairly rugged. Didn't even make it in that far.

Found a spot to stop for lunch.

The nimblewill stove's still my favorite for a quick meal.

Finn, waiting for a treat.

Contemplating another slick spot.

The gang. I think everyone enjoyed it.

Finn was good so he got some roast beef for a snack.

2014 was a pretty good year for it, but I hope to take more trips this coming year. Thanks for looking, fellas. Happy New Year. :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2014, 11:00:17 PM »
Beautiful area and pictures, diogenes.......I envy you for being able to get out and enjoy it!   It was -8 degrees with a 15-20 mph wind to go along with it here today......we stayed next to the fire all day. :fire2:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2014, 11:05:03 PM »
More great pics, Diogenes. I can see why that's one of your favorite spots. Looks like an awesome place to explore.

I've enjoyed your thread all year....looking forward to next year's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2014, 06:55:04 AM »
D, that's a real lovely looking spot, that! Thanks for sharing all the pics and chronicling your adventures for us! You get out a lot, because you make it a priority, and we all benefit from the time and bother it takes to snap some pics. So, again thanks for sharing!

All the best in 2015 for "the gang" and may this coming year find you out and about more than ever - and in good health too!

K, here's my 'Finn' comment: that one photo, backlit hair, devil-may-care debonair look about him, defying you to let him off his leash... Lol! What a photogenic little dog!

By the way, I don't recall ever seeing ice like that. Weird, eh? That was a cool shot. All your pics, though, are great.

KK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2014, 07:23:27 AM »
Those are some great shots. Glad to see you getting out so much.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »
Real nice, reminds me here in Ontario of when you start going up north and get on "the shield" ... to me it always signified that you had made it up north when you started seeing the rocks with all the pines and spruces  8)

Here is what I am referring to...
http://kids.britannica.com/comptons/art-143239

Look forward to the 2015 edition of your travels and adventures  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:23:51 AM by zammer »
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »
Great pictures! It looks like a beautiful trip to cap off the year. :thumbsup:

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2015, 07:25:04 PM »
Beautiful area and pictures, diogenes.......I envy you for being able to get out and enjoy it!   It was -8 degrees with a 15-20 mph wind to go along with it here today......we stayed next to the fire all day. :fire2:

Glad you enjoyed the pictures, wolfy. Sorry to hear it's so cold there right now. Sounds rough! I need to get back to that spot for a little back country camping further into the canyon. A couple miles in from where we were there're a couple good spots above a nice, deep pool and across from some 400 ft bluffs.

More great pics, Diogenes. I can see why that's one of your favorite spots. Looks like an awesome place to explore.

I've enjoyed your thread all year....looking forward to next year's.

Cheers, Sarge. I'll keep 'em coming if you guys enjoy 'em. Hopefully I'll be able to start the next one soon. :)

D, that's a real lovely looking spot, that! Thanks for sharing all the pics and chronicling your adventures for us! You get out a lot, because you make it a priority, and we all benefit from the time and bother it takes to snap some pics. So, again thanks for sharing!

All the best in 2015 for "the gang" and may this coming year find you out and about more than ever - and in good health too!

K, here's my 'Finn' comment: that one photo, backlit hair, devil-may-care debonair look about him, defying you to let him off his leash... Lol! What a photogenic little dog!

By the way, I don't recall ever seeing ice like that. Weird, eh? That was a cool shot. All your pics, though, are great.

KK

Thanks, KK. Glad you enjoy the trip reports. I've been trying to jump on every oppurtunity I can lately. Winter's pretty much the only time of the year when I'm not working all the time.

The ice in that pic was just forming, I believe. A nice shot by Mrs Diogenes.

Best wishes to you and yours, too, buddy. Rubi, too. :)

Those are some great shots. Glad to see you getting out so much.

Thanks, man. I'm hoping to get back to this spot within the next few weeks for an overnighter with the new hammock setup. I'll post pics for sure.

Real nice, reminds me here in Ontario of when you start going up north and get on "the shield" ... to me it always signified that you had made it up north when you started seeing the rocks with all the pines and spruces  8)
Here is what I am referring to...
http://kids.britannica.com/comptons/art-143239

Look forward to the 2015 edition of your travels and adventures  :cheers:

Thanks, zammer! I was saying something similar when we were there, that it doesn't feel like typical Missouri there. There are a lot more juniper, cedar and shortleaf pine than we have elsewhere, although I think we used to have a lot more pine coverage here before widespread logging. We used to have brown bear, elk (some have been reintroduced) and wolves here too. One thing that (I think) is unique is the pink granite in the area. Not sure how common that is.

Great pictures! It looks like a beautiful trip to cap off the year. :thumbsup:

Thanks, PW. I agree. :cheers:

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2015, 07:51:14 PM »
One thing that (I think) is unique is the pink granite in the area. Not sure how common that is.

It's funny you mention the pink granite, many of our Ontario highways used to have pink granite particles mixed in them, when they were widening  hwy 69 yr's back, the MTO was blasting thru all sorts of granite much of it was pink. I remember thinking how cool it would look back at the house as landscape material but figured it would always kinda just be there when I needed it...NOPE, lol  I went back a few yrs later and any decent sized chunk was long gone...snooze ya lose I suppose.

Who knows, maybe that area is an exposed vein somehow connected to our shield  ;)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"