Author Topic: My First Segway Ride  (Read 1525 times)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
My First Segway Ride
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »
Mrs. Crash and I played hooky from working today and headed to Blue Springs State Park.  We took the guided Segway tour (just the two of us plus the "guide").  We had a blast.  Not too many pictures (fear of crashing) but took a few.  We started on trails in an Oak Hammock and then to an open Savannah.  Saw some Gopher Tortoises, a couple of White Tail Deer, lots of deer and bear tracks.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Re: My First Segway Ride
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
Something about those things just has face-plant! written all over it....at least if I got on one LOL

Great pics as usual Crash!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:58:06 AM »
Great photos, CD :thumbsup:   I want to experience a Segway sometime....are they 'instinctive' to ride? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
Me too.  It looks like a neat thing and would allow geezers another couple of years of mobility in the woods. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
I gotta tell ya.  I laughed out loud when I saw those years ago in Popular Mechanics.  But they've become very popular for city tour groups.  I'm afraid to try one because I might want one then.   ;)

Glad you got out and had fun.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »
They offer 30 minutes of instruction to us "newbies".  After about 4 or 5 minutes we headed off onto the trail.  They are super simple to use, and yes........I want one.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:09:10 PM »
Great pics, as always. Thanks for sharing them.

I was in D.C. over the weekend and saw those Segway tours all around the city. Looks like fun and I never saw a wipeout. Most I saw had city tires but the police at the National Zoo had the off-road tires like in your pics.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline OhCanada

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 05:12:49 AM »
Looks like you saw some really nice things.

I don't thing Segway will replace the truck, ATV, or the motorbike but I think it has it's place. As for mobility for older people, it seems like it "might" be ok for hip problems but I don't know about those with knee issues or anyone who has problems standing for long periods.

A local tour group also sells the Segway for around $8,000 but also says they have used ones. For those who want to buy one you might want to keep an eye out for used models. Even better if you know of a  tour company that is going out of business, then you might be able to buy close to brand new at clearence prices.

Remember all the safety issues that goes along with machines breaking down in woods, and prepare accordingly.

I am glad that you both had fun and saw nice things.
BushCRAFT, it is what you do, not what you buy.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
that looks way fun!  One of those would have been great at Scout camp last week.  Pretty flat terrain but the veg was so thick have the trails were impassable to anything bigger  than a chipmunk, so there was a LOT of extra walking to get anywhere!

Love the pics!  Beautiful down there!  Was that an alligator gar?
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
Yep - alligator gar.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 04:01:30 PM »
Great pics. I've always wanted to ride one too. Hard to believe the guy who developed them killed himself on one.

Creek
Axes Rock!