Author Topic: Father's Day Kayaking  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Father's Day Kayaking
« on: June 16, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »
About 20 members of my family got together together yesterday for Father's Day. Seven of us and one dog went out on six kayaks to enjoy the day paddling, exploring and fishing, the rest of the crew stayed in the clubhouse and by the pool relaxing and swimming.

My brother and I went next door to the marina to get a few dozen shrimp for bait. As we came up to the bait stand, the Bait Lady pulled up in her truck, delivering some fresh bait shrimp. As she's loading the tanks, my brother Dwayne and I were admiring the pet snook and catfish that always hang out around the dock, waiting to be fed. The bait lady handed us a 5 gallon bucket of about 10 dozen shrimp and said here, you feed them today.  Dwayne threw out handfuls of live shrimp and the fish went wild, churning up the water like mad. Hopefully from the pictures below you can see the number of fish, I'd guess at least 80 fish or more, some of them at least 30 inches or more.

Getting ready to throw in some shrimp.

The mad dash.

As the bait lady was walking down the dock, she called out Manatee's. Looking over we saw three Manatee's coming from under some boats along the dock. One was massive, one medium, and one baby, all huge in my book though.

Manatee checking out Bait Lady

Bait Lady checking out Manatee

They swam out to the other side of the dock. Some of the dock hands put out a freshwater hose, and the Manatee turned around, headed for the hose and took a nice cool drink.

Pretty cool way to start the day. We got back to the launch and got all of the kayaks launched and underway. Beautiful day out today.

Some of the group wanted to go exploring, so they left the rest of us to fish. My nephew and I started fishing the channel and hooked some catfish and lady fish. My two brothers went off to fish around some mangroves for some snapper. After about 15 minutes I come around a mangrove and see my two brothers floating side by side. As I approached, my brother Dwayne said, I did it again. He got a hook stuck in his thumb while trying to rescue my brother Neal's line from a mangrove incident. This happened to him a few weeks back with a treble hook getting lodged in his forearm. This one he couldn't cut out, so both of them paddled back in and Dwayne went to the emergency room again to get a hook removed.

Dwayne's hookup.

My nephew Jason fishing the channel. He had injured his arm so he was peddling my Hobie kayak on this trip. I think that's a lady fish he caught.

I headed to the south side of a pair of mangroves that had produced some redfish, snook and snapper before.

My destination, the left, south side of these mangroves.

Some brown pelicans hanging out in the mangroves, there were dozens of these on this one little mangrove.

At my destination.

After anchoring up (strong incoming tide) I made my first cast and caught this nice little snook. He tried getting back under the mangroves, but I was able to keep a tight line and pulled him out.

Fished around a little more and caught a few catfish and pinfish. Around 2:00, high tide, we headed back in to join the rest of our group for lunch. After about an hour and a half, Jason, Dwayne and I headed back down to the launch to do a little wade fishing. It was slack tide at this time so we could fish easily enough and our bait didn't roll with the current. We were all fishing with our leftover shrimp, some alive, mostly dead at this point. We ended up catching some catfish, pinfish and grunts. I think dwayne caught one snapper. Jason caught a nice little Jack and a very nice Flounder.

Jason's Jack

And his really nice Flounder

To top this all off, when I got home around 6:30 pm, my family was waiting for me with dinner on the table and Father's Day gifts. It truly doesn't get any better than this. Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:06:42 PM by Yellowyak »

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
Re: Father's Day Kayaking
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:03:31 PM »
Good stuff YY...  :cheers: :canoe:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »
VERY COOL! 8)   We don't see fish or critters like that up here. :P.     Thank you, Yak! :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:18:01 PM »
Nice day for sure. I hope the fishing stays good I'll be down on the South Island that makes stump pass Thursday. Wyatt and I are putting some power pro on his small spinning reel tonight. All he wants to do is sling jigs. Very nice Flounder!

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »
Thanks guy's. It's always ways fun getting on the water down here, never know what you'll see or pull up on the end of your line.

Have fun down around Stumps Pass Swamp, lot's of great fishing spots down there. I'm sure Wyatt can get something to bite on some jigs. The flounder was caught with a free-lined shrimp, no weight. I've caught them using DOA Shrimp, let them hit bottom, twitch a little, and reel in one revolution really slow, twitch, repeat. Good luck.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:11:35 PM »
Good stuff! Certainly an interesting and eventful day at least. Thanks for posting.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
Looks like a great trip!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 07:33:15 PM »
Good times there Greg with the family. Well except Dewayne, think he's got a hook fetish.  :)
And a nice mixed bag of fishies to boot. Feeding those snook is cool, I enjoyed seeing them when we were down and watching them feed.
Thanks for sharing your great day.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 04:46:08 AM »
Looks like a great day Greg.  Thanks for taking us along.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:11:53 AM »
Looks like a great day out on the water.

Those jacks are fun to catch. I think they are one of the most powerful fighting fishes per pound.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 02:21:26 PM »
Nice day for sure. I hope the fishing stays good I'll be down on the South Island that makes stump pass Thursday. Wyatt and I are putting some power pro on his small spinning reel tonight. All he wants to do is sling jigs. Very nice Flounder!

Jimmy, how was the trip to Stump's Pass? Did Wyatt have a blast or what?

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »
Great time we caught 10 snook and one was 36" and a couple jack cravelle's. We road down to Boca and showed Wyatt the light house. Stopped by Hudson grocery store and picked up some last minute supplies before taking the ferry over to the island. Sorry guys no pics my PC is down and my photo bucket app is giving me problems.  Hope to have a new PC by the weekend or have one ordered.

Offline ncnurseryman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »
Damn good looking day out.  Those manatees are huge!!  Never seen one in real life and the flounder is a nice catch.  Man, I'm jealous of the beautiful pics all you guys post down in Florida.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk