Author Topic: Canoe tip I stumbled across online  (Read 1539 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Canoe tip I stumbled across online
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
I was looking for some fishing spots here in Utah when i came across this page.

Thought it might make for some interesting discussion.

http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/tips/empty_swamped_canoe.php

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Canoe tip I stumbled across online
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
That is one of the techniques used to pass the B.S.A. CANOEING merit badge requirements.  It ain't easy, but it can be done.   After righting the swamped canoe, it is then brought alongside and parallel to the rescuer's boat.  The rescuer holds the gunwales of both boats together tightly with his hands and the swimming boater then climbs aboard his righted and stabilized boat's offside.  It's much easier if the two canoes are tightly tied together at the carry or middle thwart for additional stability. :canoe:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
Great find....excellent article.

This can be done with out another canoe near by, by one person, or two is better, and both wearing PFD even better yet.

Canoe upside down....swim under, place feet on one gunnel and grab the other side with your hands...lift as best as you can, kick up and flip with your hands.
Idea is to "roll over in the air"......when it lands should be floating. but may have some of water in it.

Now slither back in....if two people are there, one hold steady.... and you slither in for the other side.....repeat.

Then using your hands scoop water out ......now go find your stuff.

If you were prepared, you will have a spare paddle ties inside.
This is actually not that difficult, and does work.....

And like the article says, summer on a calm lake in swim suits and PFD's is the time to practice.

Fast moving rivers, in waders and heavy coat.....just t=stay with the boat till you can get to shore.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
I remember learning that, but what I remember most is racking myself doing the single person entry from the water....it still hurts just thinking about it!

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »
  I keep a rope tied to the midship thwart. I am generally alone when using my canoe.

What you do is sort of belly flop onto the top of the overturned canoe, holding the rope, and then stand up and let yourself fall backwards holding onto the rope, feet planted on the far side. You kind of have to heave on the rope to get 'er started, and just fall backward pulling the canoe upright.

I don't try to get back in when I do that, but it's pretty easy to pull the canoe along when it is  right side up. I say "easy" as a relative term, because it can be exhausting, but a lot easier than pulling a capsized canoe.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
I remember learning that, but what I remember most is racking myself doing the single person entry from the water....it still hurts just thinking about it!

LMAO...ouch!
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"