Author Topic: Dessert recipes  (Read 579 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Dessert recipes
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »

In another thread I talked about Rhubarb and wanting to make a Strawberry Rhubarb pie (one of my favorites).
  I'm not usually very good at baking pies,  but I figured I'd give this recipe a try as it sounded fairly simple,  well, I got started bright and early on it after my first cup of coffee yesterday morning,  and it came out just great,  I was afraid that it might be runny because that's what usually happens when I try to make fruit pies,  but it came out perfect on every score,  for those who want to give it a whirl here's the recipe.
                         Ingredients.
                        ----------------
            3-cups of fresh Rhubarb cut to 3/8" slices.
            3-cups of fresh Strawberries hulled and cut in half.
            1-cup of sugar (a bit more if you like really sweet).  (Spenda works good as a sugar substitute)
            3- tablespoons of Corn Starch.
            1/4- tsp. of salt.
            1- tsp. of Cinnamon (optional).
            1- tablespoon of butter.

1- double crust pie shell for 9" pie plate.

Directions.
                       ---------------

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
            Add the Rhubarb and Strawberries to the bowl and stir well to mix and coat the fruit.
            Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes.  (it's important to let it sit the whole time)
            Preheat the oven to 400*F.
            Roll out and prepare the crusts,  place one crust in a 9" deep dish pie plate, prick holes in bottom.
            Fill the bottom crust with the fruit mixture and dot with chips of cold butter.
            Cover with top crust and make four slits in the top for steam to escape.

(you can use an egg wash or milk to coat the top crust,  and sprinkle a little sugar on top)

Place the pie plate in the oven.  (best to put a cookie sheet or foil under it to catch drippings)
            Bake at 400* for 10 minutes,  then turn down the oven to 375* and bake for about one hour.
            ( I put mine on a lower rack to keep the crust from burning, and it took an extra 15 minutes or so)

Tip,  don't cut into the pie until it's completely cooled,  this gives the juices time to set up,  if you can resist the temptation and let it sit in the fridge overnight after it's cooled it's even better.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.