Author Topic: Making damascus steel  (Read 657 times)

Offline GunnerJ

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
Making damascus steel
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:13:05 AM »
Hello, I'm going to try my hand at my forge in making some Damascus and I was looking for suggestions of any type

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Making damascus steel
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 02:11:31 AM »
I am moving this post to the making knives and sheaths section where it stands a better chance of getting replies. I have not experimented with forging, being a stock removal guy. But I want to try cable Damascus one day.

Offline GunnerJ

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:05:12 AM »
OK no problem, thank you for the help

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:17:53 AM »
I know there are others here who forge, but you might try sending a PM to Shane.  He has a lot of experience with forging and can give you a lot of info on temps and carbon structures.  About the only thing I know is to use lighter hits at first to get a good weld on the layers before you begin the folding or twisting process.

I hope you keep us up to date as you begin so we can learn along with you.  It's interesting and I love the patterns that come out from that process.  Good luck!!

Offline GunnerJ

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:48:40 AM »
Well, I have been using a bonfire in my back yard with an air compressor adding air to make it a lot hotter, but I don't think it will get hot enough for welds unless I burn through a weeks worth of firewood in an hour, so I am going to attempt making my own gas forge out of various supplies......and who is Shane by the way?