Author Topic: 48 hours with minimal gear  (Read 22278 times)

Offline FugitiveB

• Mill File
Re: 48 hours with minimal gear
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »

This is where I am up to with minimal gear for the 48 hrs http://wp.me/p2jNLl-2YC

I was just about to post that if had not already! Great article Bro!

Thanks mate

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
I think the easiest way to define a day hike pack is one that doesn't have a substantial shelter in it. For me, that's what separates day hike gear from overnight camping gear. Shelter, and enough food/water to spend the night. A day hike is usually just a single meal, and maybe a big 1 liter water bottle, along with a camera for taking pictures and a cell phone. At least, for most folks who jump out of their car at the local state park or national park and hit the trail looking for a waterfall to photograph or something along those lines.

But they take a wrong turn and then they are lost. So now it's spending 2 nights with gear they intended to use to take tourist pictures and all they have is a bottle of water, an apple, a couple of chewy granola bars and a bag of chips. MOST day hikers wouldn't have a knife or a steel cup or bottle they could use to boil in.

I think the list could be approached from a knowledgeable person's perspective as well. Carry the same "survival kit" that you usually carry when you go on a day hike. Along with a camera (I think most of us carry a camera) and phone, and whatever else you'd normally have with you if you set out to go on a day outing.

Just my thoughts on the topic. I think by looking at it this way it might change what people carry a an everyday survival kit for day outings. But by no means do I mean to say this is how you guys should do it. This is just some thoughts on the subject. It really comes down to whether you want to test the traditional "lost day hiker" scenario, or test your own skills and gear selection as someone who has prepared for getting lost.

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2014, 11:58:43 AM »

This is where I am up to with minimal gear for the 48 hrs http://wp.me/p2jNLl-2YC

I was just about to post that if had not already! Great article Bro!

Thanks mate

No worries Bro!

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »
Thanks for the link great read.

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »
I think the easiest way to define a day hike pack is one that doesn't have a substantial shelter in it. For me, that's what separates day hike gear from overnight camping gear. Shelter, and enough food/water to spend the night. A day hike is usually just a single meal, and maybe a big 1 liter water bottle, along with a camera for taking pictures and a cell phone. At least, for most folks who jump out of their car at the local state park or national park and hit the trail looking for a waterfall to photograph or something along those lines.

But they take a wrong turn and then they are lost. So now it's spending 2 nights with gear they intended to use to take tourist pictures and all they have is a bottle of water, an apple, a couple of chewy granola bars and a bag of chips. MOST day hikers wouldn't have a knife or a steel cup or bottle they could use to boil in.

I think the list could be approached from a knowledgeable person's perspective as well. Carry the same "survival kit" that you usually carry when you go on a day hike. Along with a camera (I think most of us carry a camera) and phone, and whatever else you'd normally have with you if you set out to go on a day outing.

Just my thoughts on the topic. I think by looking at it this way it might change what people carry a an everyday survival kit for day outings. But by no means do I mean to say this is how you guys should do it. This is just some thoughts on the subject. It really comes down to whether you want to test the traditional "lost day hiker" scenario, or test your own skills and gear selection as someone who has prepared for getting lost.

I agree with what you are saying. I personally have never ventured into the woods or went on a hike without most of the gear outlined. But then again I am always prepared for the worst. That is why I am personally going a more primitive route. Like a lost hunter/trapper (which I bet was super rare). If I take out the camera gear, FAK, emergency gear, and clothing. The most high tech stuff I will have will be my knife and mug.

From what I have seen and heard from other participants, they are taking a very minimal approach. With more advanced, higher tech military like gear.  It really just depends on how one wishes to outfit themselves.  I guess we are not very good day hikers! :) I think this is really more of a self exploration exercise, than an actual simulation. Because a lot of survival is mental. Not to mention three nations are involved so far!

Just a note: If you feel like this is something you want to do. Feel free to join in with us!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:00:48 PM by Bill Hilly »

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2014, 12:51:09 PM »
Thanks for the link great read.

Your welcome Sir, FugitiveB is a great writer.

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »
My girlfriend has agreed to participate and help with taking video. I do not know what her personal kit will be. But she does want to go without a tent. (this will be her first time) I do not expect her to follow all of the stipulations of BRUSCA48. Her involvement is for her to learn some skills and help with the filming of my personal BRUSCA48 experience.

Offline FugitiveB

• Mill File
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 03:54:47 PM »

My girlfriend has agreed to participate and help with taking video. I do not know what her personal kit will be. But she does want to go without a tent. (this will be her first time) I do not expect her to follow all of the stipulations of BRUSCA48. Her involvement is for her to learn some skills and help with the filming of my personal BRUSCA48 experience.
Now that is sweet

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
Y'all will have fun we did a pot & knife for 3 days and learned a lot. Billy Hill has a film crew for his pilot episode thats good we didn't take half as much pictures that we should have to depict our trip.

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
Y'all will have fun we did a pot & knife for 3 days and learned a lot. Billy Hill has a film crew for his pilot episode thats good we didn't take half as much pictures that we should have to depict our trip.

Yeah my girlfriend was a natural choice. Not only is she good to cuddle with.  ;) She took some video production in College. I hope to help people learn a thing or two. Not necessarily anyone here, but hopefully it will help someone. I am sure she will learn some stuff while helping! 

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »

Now that is sweet

HA HA!  ;D

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
Yep, I would definitely suggest anyone looking into doing this take a look at the pot and knife thread. They might pick up some tips based on what the guys had to say about it when they returned, particularly where the type of knife is concerned.

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=2785.0

Offline FugitiveB

• Mill File
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »

Yep, I would definitely suggest anyone looking into doing this take a look at the pot and knife thread. They might pick up some tips based on what the guys had to say about it when they returned, particularly where the type of knife is concerned.

Wow that's really helpful thanks for that

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2014, 05:15:14 PM »

Very cool! I may use one of those coffee can pots!

Offline Nordmarken

• Mill File+
  • http://survivall.blogspot.co.uk/
    • NORDMARKENCANOE UK
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2014, 12:54:26 AM »
Great thread - I love doing things like this myself.

When I first started getting to wilderness skills the ideal was to be able to go out with just a knife, a blanket and a billy can - and for me that is still the ideal.

Recently me and two friends did a 48hr challenge in Sweden - temperatures down to -10c which was great fun (<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

The problem with this type of thing is over caution - people always want more gear and food than they need, usually not trusting their own skills - on the temperate WEISS course we run our students spend the first 48hrs on the course with nothing but the clothes they turn up in (and empty pockets) and believe me its amazing how quickly folks learn to improvise, we even had one course where a guy was only a sparrows fart away from making fire with a bow drill set he had made from items found in the woods (impressive in the fact he had nothing to make it with no knife etc) ----- but as fun and testing as these things are I would suggest you always have a full normal camping kit along so if something goes wrong you have the gear to deal with it, you don't want an emergency when your training for one  ;D
WYRD BE FUL ARAED

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »
Great thread - I love doing things like this myself.

When I first started getting to wilderness skills the ideal was to be able to go out with just a knife, a blanket and a billy can - and for me that is still the ideal.

Recently me and two friends did a 48hr challenge in Sweden - temperatures down to -10c which was great fun

The problem with this type of thing is over caution - people always want more gear and food than they need, usually not trusting their own skills - on the temperate WEISS course we run our students spend the first 48hrs on the course with nothing but the clothes they turn up in (and empty pockets) and believe me its amazing how quickly folks learn to improvise, we even had one course where a guy was only a sparrows fart away from making fire with a bow drill set he had made from items found in the woods (impressive in the fact he had nothing to make it with no knife etc) ----- but as fun and testing as these things are I would suggest you always have a full normal camping kit along so if something goes wrong you have the gear to deal with it, you don't want an emergency when your training for one  ;D

Thank you for your insight Sir! I agree with you on people learning to improvise quickly. Thank you for sharing with us!

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »
Ooohh.... This looks like fun!
I'll have to see if I can get some time off to do this challenge!
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline ruffaroundthehedges

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
48 hours with minimal gear
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »
Hi guys! Singed up to this on Twitter @RuffATH_Events along with the rest of my tribe....

Can't wait for autumn, thinking of going into woods with EDC used on my hikes out in the woods collecting and foraging etc. and that consists of;

5" Butchers Knife (carbon steel) and sheaf of my own making
Fire Steel
Stainless 750ml canteen
Opinel folding saw
Milbro Catapult
4' x 8' Tarp of my own making
Journal & Pencil
Cotton rag
Food = Malted Loaf

Dressed accordingly I'm sure my skills will do the rest ;-)

ATB

Tony

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2014, 03:03:01 PM »
Hi guys! Singed up to this on Twitter @RuffATH_Events along with the rest of my tribe....

Can't wait for autumn, thinking of going into woods with EDC used on my hikes out in the woods collecting and foraging etc. and that consists of;

Fire Steel
Stainless 750ml canteen
Opinel folding saw
Milbro Catapult
Journal & Pencil
Cotton rag
Food = Malted Loaf

ATB

Tony

Glad that you made it over here Sir! Looks like you have it sorted well!

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2014, 03:10:09 PM »

Fire Steel
Stainless 750ml canteen
Opinel folding saw
Milbro Catapult
Journal & Pencil
Cotton rag
Food = Malted Loaf

ATB

Tony

Thanks pal, I think so everything else I could need will come from the wood... Only thing that sometimes changes is I swap the canteen for a bush pot or other metal container, but I'm good to :)

Tony

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »

Fire Steel
Stainless 750ml canteen
Opinel folding saw
Milbro Catapult
Journal & Pencil
Cotton rag
Food = Malted Loaf

ATB

Tony

And a roll of cotton string.

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »

Fire Steel
Stainless 750ml canteen
Opinel folding saw
Milbro Catapult
Journal & Pencil
Cotton rag
Food = Malted Loaf

ATB

Tony

Thanks pal, I think so everything else I could need will come from the wood... Only thing that sometimes changes is I swap the canteen for a bush pot or other metal container, but I'm good to :)

Tony

Sounds good! :)

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:29 PM »
With all that kit, you should be pretty comfortable :thumbsup:
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline FugitiveB

• Mill File
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2014, 04:51:48 AM »

Fire Steel
Stainless 750ml canteen
Opinel folding saw
Milbro Catapult
Journal & Pencil
Cotton rag
Food = Malted Loaf

ATB

Tony

That sounds like a sensible set up

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »
Will see me through :)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2014, 12:56:08 AM »
This is shaping up to be a cool challenge. Hopefully most of the participants can capture their experience on video or in pictures.

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
This is shaping up to be a cool challenge. Hopefully most of the participants can capture their experience on video or in pictures.

Indeed Petrified Wood! I am looking forward to it, any reason to get out into the bush! I am going to try and film as much stuff as I can while I am out. I hope to make a video about the trip and also a few short tutorials. I will try and get some pics and video at The Gathering of Hikers also.

Offline susannewilliams

• Whetstone
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
Germany-Alps calling - I'll do it for sure!

I'll send in a youtube vid to show what happened...

:-)

Susanne

Offline Winfield

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
Hey folks,

I'm curious as to whether or not you're expected to be venturing out on your own or if it's not against the ideals of the challenge to bring people along. I've got a pair of buddies and we've been doing little trips similar to this together before we caught word of BRUSCA. ( Which is an awesome name by the way )

Also, I've no problem in saying while my crew of three ( self included ) have done trips similar to this before, that we're pretty green with only one of us having official training. Despite that we're planning to do some recording of the trip so you can all point out how we're doing things wrong and how we can improve. ;)

Lastly~ I'm curious as to whether or not this is the official thread, or even Site that has information hosted about it. All I've been able to locate are the article that Fugitive wrote, the tid bits on Twitter, and this thread. So yeah, just wondering if these are the central most points of interest around the event.

Also, for what it's worth, because of BRUSCA, I found these forums, so it's already a win in my books.

Offline FugitiveB

• Mill File
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »

Germany-Alps calling - I'll do it for sure!

I'll send in a youtube vid to show what happened...

:-)

Susanne

Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FugitiveB

• Mill File
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »

Hey folks,

I'm curious as to whether or not you're expected to be venturing out on your own or if it's not against the ideals of the challenge to bring people along. I've got a pair of buddies and we've been doing little trips similar to this together before we caught word of BRUSCA. ( Which is an awesome name by the way )

Also, I've no problem in saying while my crew of three ( self included ) have done trips similar to this before, that we're pretty green with only one of us having official training. Despite that we're planning to do some recording of the trip so you can all point out how we're doing things wrong and how we can improve. ;)

Lastly~ I'm curious as to whether or not this is the official thread, or even Site that has information hosted about it. All I've been able to locate are the article that Fugitive wrote, the tid bits on Twitter, and this thread. So yeah, just wondering if these are the central most points of interest around the event.

Also, for what it's worth, because of BRUSCA, I found these forums, so it's already a win in my books.

Hi Winfield
Most of us are twitter users and do that is where it started. This forum was used as a more permanent way to keep ideas I guess!

As for solo or group I don't have an opinion either way group dynamics can be really hard in a survival situation and so can the mental state of surviving on your own.

If some of you only have some experience then it is better to do it in a group for safety and I don't think any of us are going to knock you for that

The challenge is really about what you can do with minimal gear and I don't know what you are taking in the way of gear! Are you going to be carrying similar gear? Or different items?

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »
Cool challenge. I've done some 24 hour ones. I'll see if I can take an extra day off and do a 48 hour one after early bear season ends in Sept.

Offline Winfield

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »

Hey folks,

Hi Winfield
Most of us are twitter users and do that is where it started. This forum was used as a more permanent way to keep ideas I guess!

As for solo or group I don't have an opinion either way group dynamics can be really hard in a survival situation and so can the mental state of surviving on your own.

If some of you only have some experience then it is better to do it in a group for safety and I don't think any of us are going to knock you for that

The challenge is really about what you can do with minimal gear and I don't know what you are taking in the way of gear! Are you going to be carrying similar gear? Or different items?

Hey Fugitive,

I'm relieved to hear the crew can stay together then, we had already been planning a three day trip at the end of September with no food. So, with some slight tweaks to the plan we'll be taking part in the challenge.

I understand the ideal of demonstrating skill over tools, totally agree with it really. The only one who has any 'professional' training in survival in our group really enjoys his gadgets though. I on the other hand favour a much more minimal approach, cause in my mind it's much harder to pack a serious arsenal of tools then it is experience and skill. The third member of our little crew merely has an interest and willingness to learn. So, because of this our little trio seems to even each other out.

As for what we're bringing? So far we've decided no food or water, as the edibles are pretty bountiful around here with many bodies of water. I'm positive we're all bringing knives. That's about as much as I can speak for about what our crew is bringing.

As for my kit, it will probably consist of appropriate clothing, my grandfathers Bowie knife, Mag/striker, and a metal canteen. FAK, Cell, Camera gear, and wind up flashlight for the emergency/recording bits.

What exactly is the twitter handle? Just the BRUSCA14 one?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:01:38 PM by Winfield »

Offline FugitiveB

• Mill File
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »
Twitter handle is #BRUSCA48 You can click the link on my website if you struggle

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Great trip you guys are working up.  They aren't for everybody, but they put you into a more confident state of mind on every trip after.  Like Swamphanger said we learned a lot on the Pot and Machete.

Go get 'em!!!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline susannewilliams

• Whetstone
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2014, 07:50:36 AM »
Solo or team?

Did we finalise the gear list?

Gonna be a good one!

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2014, 12:36:08 AM »
Solo or team?

Did we finalise the gear list?

Gonna be a good one!

There is no official gear list. Just minimal gear and food. My gear list depends on what stuff I actually get finished! lol Otherwise I will use some gear I already own.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »
Somehow I missed this before. Sounds like fun. What's the time frame? Do you have to submit proof?
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Bill Hilly

• Whetstone
    • Black Mesa Outfitters
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2014, 01:45:37 AM »
Somehow I missed this before. Sounds like fun. What's the time frame? Do you have to submit proof?

We are all going to do it this fall. Your word is all I need, but pictures and or videos is always fun to see!

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2014, 04:58:26 PM »
Thanks , sounds like fun I was thinking about going out alone anyway. Been a long time since I went out by myself.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline BrumCraft

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2014, 04:49:52 AM »
This is the first time I've posted in a forum so I have no idea what I'm doing!!

I'm doing BRUSCA48 on 26 & 27 September with two guys I know from ACF. We have already acknowledged that we are all likely to get angry, knackered, hungry and agitated! Kit sorted with emphasis on natural shelter and attempting to catch fish/small game.

Has everyone got their dates set? Is everyone going to film/upload their experiences, or take photos etc?I'll be filming and uploading to YT.

Would be great to see how everyone else gets on & how things are done differently etc.

One thing for sure.....it's really made me re-think my survival  kit. Will definitely be putting a new one together after the weekend

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2014, 07:44:41 AM »
Big Luck for your foray Brom.  Get 'em.

You NEED alot less than you think.  You WANT a lot more than you need.  Jeez we lived on and in palm for days.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline FugitiveB

• Mill File
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
Hi @BrumCraft not long now! Yes i think there are plenty of us taking videos in as they are not classed as part of minimal kit :)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2015, 06:06:25 AM »
  I would sure like to know how this ended up...

Did this ever happen? Or, should I ask, did anyone do this?, or who all did this?  & what were the end results?
 :shrug:
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Justawoodsman

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2015, 01:40:32 PM »
Yeah, I would like to hear about the results as well.