Author Topic: How i clean my Profiles  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
How i clean my Profiles
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »
ive been getting a lot of questions lately about how i clean my profiles after HT. here is a simple video explaining it. tend to your volume, the sander is kind of loud :D

"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: How i clean my Profiles
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »
Looks good! That nice big wide platen makes a world of difference vs trying to do it on a 2" wide contact wheel!

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »
it does make ALL the difference man. you can get to a mirror polish using this method in just 4 belts.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:15 PM »
I've got a brand new 4X36 craftsman sander but I don't have room to unbox it.  :-[

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »
I've got a brand new 4X36 craftsman sander but I don't have room to unbox it.  :-[

that makes me sad :( its the most used tool in my shop. i would not do this without one!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »

that makes me sad :( its the most used tool in my shop. i would not do this without one!

I know they are really handy. But I have learned to use my Grizz for everything. I find that the 8" contact wheel is just about perfect for contouring handles. I know you and Bernie use the contact wheel on your 4X36 sanders but I think I'm so used to the 8" wheel I'd screw things up royally if I tried to learn to do it another way. Maybe one day I can move the grizz outdoors for making sawdust and get a real grinder in the shop.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »

I know they are really handy. But I have learned to use my Grizz for everything. I find that the 8" contact wheel is just about perfect for contouring handles. I know you and Bernie use the contact wheel on your 4X36 sanders but I think I'm so used to the 8" wheel I'd screw things up royally if I tried to learn to do it another way. Maybe one day I can move the grizz outdoors for making sawdust and get a real grinder in the shop.

i pray for the day :D

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »
That platen does really help with cleaning those up!

When I put that kit of red's together, I was suprised how much I used the 4x36.  I think they are often overlooked as not being as versatile as they are.  You get a lot of grinder for the money.

Offline C3 Knives

• Water Stone
  • No moment in time is -Ordinary-!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
I think the different ways that we all come up with to get the job done is awesome!  It gives the knives character individual to the maker...  :cheers: 
C3 Knives-Hand Crafted For High Performance!