Author Topic: Fire Thong  (Read 5162 times)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
Fire Thong
« on: August 02, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
Came across this method http://www.primitiveways.com/Fire%20Thong.html thanks to Dino Labiste for putting the article together  :fire1:

Here's a pic showing a two man set-up...

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:57:11 PM by zammer »
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Re: Fire Thong
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »
You know, I know I shouldn't...

So I won't.

Thanks for sharing Zam-man! :)
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 01:08:17 AM »
I was expecting a totally different method. There is a fire thing technique that uses long flexible strips of bamboo or vines to generate heat in a notched hearth board by rapidly pulling them back and forth. You can get a steel cable as from a bicycle brake cable to do the same thing. It will get smoking hot.The key is to arrange your materials in such a way that the hot dust collects in one place to form an ember like a bow drill does.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 05:45:26 AM »
You know, I know I shouldn't...
So I won't.
Thanks for sharing Zam-man! :)

Your welcome as always my friend...however, I might know what you mean in 99.9% of cases, this one fails me as to what you mean...lol

I was expecting a totally different method. There is a fire thing technique that uses long flexible strips of bamboo or vines to generate heat in a notched hearth board by rapidly pulling them back and forth. You can get a steel cable as from a bicycle brake cable to do the same thing. It will get smoking hot.The key is to arrange your materials in such a way that the hot dust collects in one place to form an ember like a bow drill does.

So, your saying you have learned a new method? if so, then the time and effort to post this in our new Forum was worth it ...  :fire1:

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:49:34 AM »
Just some random "your thong's on fire?" grade school stuff, Zammer. But I was mature and didn't go there... Yay me. ;D
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 07:05:13 AM »
Just some random "your thong's on fire?" grade school stuff, Zammer. But I was mature and didn't go there... Yay me. ;D

Great minds think alike, and apparently, ours do too!  I'm pretty sure I have a pic of fire thong, but B&B is probably not a good place to post it!

Cool concept for friction fire.  I don't think I've seen that method used....

Offline flaviln

• Mill File
  • Bush Geezer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:14:04 AM »
I should go ahead and offer my apologies.
First thing I thought of was,"Liar liar Kilt on fire"

:-[
Goes for comfort not for speed!!

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »

The video in the link shows what you are describing with the bamboo/vines.  I got the impression from the video that the rattan, bamboo "cord" they were using was what gave up the fibers to create the embers.  You're saying its just the opposite or that it could be just the opposite.  Something to keep in mind.

The video also showed the guy using a piece of something hollow, reed, bamboo, something, to blow the bird's nest into flames.  Having lost my eyebrows once in a sudden flame up, I like that solution.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »

LOL...and here I was thinking that maybe I missed some Admin announcement to not talk about something or post some link... :rofl:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »

The video in the link shows what you are describing with the bamboo/vines.  I got the impression from the video that the rattan, bamboo "cord" they were using was what gave up the fibers to create the embers.  You're saying its just the opposite or that it could be just the opposite.  Something to keep in mind.

The video also showed the guy using a piece of something hollow, reed, bamboo, something, to blow the bird's nest into flames.  Having lost my eyebrows once in a sudden flame up, I like that solution.

Ah, yeah. The methods at the link are quite a bit different from the one depicted in the post. Looks like a 2 man drill rather than a fire thong.

I do think more material from the hearth board is converted to make a coal than from the thong strips themselves. The reason being that the the thong strip moves across the hearth board and the friction is distributed along it's length, but the part of the hearth board in contact with the thong is small and it is always under friction.

Another way of saying that is that the hearth board has an inch wide area in contact with the thong, but the thong might have a 10" long area in contact with the hearth board as it moves back and forth. So the thong has a chance to cool more so than the hearth does.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 07:42:11 AM »
Ah, yeah. The methods at the link are quite a bit different from the one depicted in the post. Looks like a 2 man drill rather than a fire thong.

To have avoided confusion I should have mentioned the pic of the two man drill was not from the site where the vids and article were from.

I believe the reason they are both called "thong" is because a leather thong "lace" can be used.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 03:27:05 PM »

To have avoided confusion I should have mentioned the pic of the two man drill was not from the site where the vids and article were from.

I believe the reason they are both called "thong" is because a leather thong "lace" can be used.

No worries! It makes sense that something that uses a leather thong as part of the apparatus might be named for it.

Offline Dude McLean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »

my mind went straight to the gutter >:D I was thing a hot babe with a thong..  :P

Dude
I have been where the hand of man has never set foot.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »

You can find blow pipes for sale on line or at buckskinner sites,  not recommended for the campfire but for blowing into a birds nest a large drink straw from double D's or Mickey D's works fine,  I once had one made from the stem of an old corn cob pipe,  also good is a piece of small dia. brass tubing which you can find at most Ace Hardware, Lowe's, or Home Depot store,  they usually come in 18" lengths and are inexpensive,  cut to the length you need then drill out a short piece of wooden dowel and glue it onto the brass tube for a mouth piece,  treated with a little mineral oil, it keeps you from burning your lips should the tube get hot and it insures that the mouth end is usually clean.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.