Author Topic: NEBRASKA: IT'S NOT TOO BAD  (Read 109978 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: NEBRASKA: IT'S NOT TOO BAD
« Reply #350 on: February 14, 2019, 06:37:58 PM »
A nice piece of land there from the closing aerial photos.  The sandhills all the way into far western Nebraska are probably still full of un-excavated sites.  Here is a link to a bit more about who these Apache people were along with a mention of the Navajo.                                           

http://augie.edu/events/new-archeological-investigation-plains-apaches-nebraska-sand-hills

I have been at these kind of sites in southeastern Colorado and looked at the excavations the professionals made near springs, overhanging shelters, and rock quarries where the natives obtained tool stone.   

In our stick of the woods, west of us a bit, there is a rock area where fertility ceremonies were probably held given the petroglyphs on the walls.  The archeology reports says they were Comanche and later people who were Woodland Cree.  Two different occupations ending perhaps 500 years ago.  This particular area was ruined as a archeological site by ranchers who collected artifacts and dug up areas without recording the findings but it is still a spectacular thing to see.

FASCINATING!  I have to admit that this is the first information on this blend of cultures that I?ve seen. 

I've got some readin' to do!  :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #351 on: March 20, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »
Wolfy, how are you doing with the flooding. Hope all is well.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #352 on: March 21, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »
Our hometown experienced 'some' flooding from the effects of the Bomb Cyclone that enveloped much of the country last week.  However, it wasn't as bad here as it has been in communities surrounding us.  We had some pretty big flooding out on the farmground, but it didn't leave as many trees and trash behind as it has during past floods.....NOT TOO BAD! 8)    We were VERY lucky, compared to the massive damage in communities surrounding us.  The whole Missouri River basin, from just above Gavin's Point Dam, South, through Omaha, Plattesmouth and into the state of Missouri are experiencing extensive & record-breaking flooding.  Early estimates of damage to NEBRASKA agriculture alone, are presently at the $2,000,000,000 level and climbing daily! :doh:

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #353 on: March 21, 2019, 04:22:53 PM »
Thanks for the report, glad you are high and dry.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #355 on: April 02, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »
I was aware of this campaign, but thank you for bringing the newest info to the thread, nuke. :cheers:

NEBRASKA: IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE, BUT, IT'S NOT TOO BAD! :lol:

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #356 on: April 02, 2019, 03:11:43 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #357 on: April 02, 2019, 08:04:45 PM »
This historic level flooding might cause some folks to stay away, others to come see the damage. 

By the way, I drove by carhenge several years ago.  Didn't stop to see a bunch of cars standing on end in a field.

At another level I think Wolfy should be running the tourism campaign with his Nebraska, it's not too bad information.  It is funnier than the one they have.  Look at some of the photos in that link Nuke posted

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:14:05 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #358 on: April 03, 2019, 06:36:39 AM »
It?s not for everyone... LOL!!!
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #359 on: April 04, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »
It will be the time for NATIONAL NEBRASKA DAY tomorrow, April 5th.  Each State gets their day in the limelight according to the date that they joined the Union....we joined in 1867.

:birthday: NEBRASKA! :cheers: :banana:

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-nebraska-day-april-5/

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #360 on: April 04, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »
Where we live statehood did not occur until 1889.  Nebraska was admitted on March 1, 1867 so why do they celebrate on April 5th?

Here is a little tidbit on Nebraska:  A constitution for Nebraska was drawn up in 1866. There was some controversy over Nebraska's admission as a state, in view of a provision in the 1866 constitution restricting suffrage to White voters; eventually, on February 8, 1867, the United States Congress voted to admit Nebraska as a state provided that suffrage was not denied to non-white voters. The bill admitting Nebraska as a state was vetoed by President Andrew Johnson, but the veto was overridden by a supermajority in both Houses of Congress. Nebraska became the first and, to this day, is the only state to be admitted to the Union by means of a veto override.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #361 on: April 04, 2019, 04:34:03 PM »
NEBRASKA has its 'day' on April 5th because it's just an arbitrary date selected by the National Day Calendar.  They started on Independence Day and assigned a month for each state in the order in which they joined the Union until they ran out of weeks with National Hawaii Day......we still celebrate March 1st as Nebraska Statehood Day. :popcorn:

Thanks for bringing that factoid about the veto override, Stan.   I may not have mentioned that before, but I do recall learning about it in 4th grade when all the students in Nebraska were required to study Nebraska's history.....they still are! :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »
Lincoln, Nebraska's capital & capitol.....the text says it is known as the 'Tower of the Plains,' but my wife tells me that back in the day, when she was attending college at her alma mater in Lincoln, it was known as the 'Penis of the Plains.'  :coffee:

https://truewestmagazine.com/lincoln-nebraska/

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
She was right. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #364 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
She always is. :-\

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2019, 05:14:49 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but figured it would go here as well as anywhere else.  You gotta be tough to be a farmer, but this guy is TOUGH!

https://www.foxnews.com/health/nebraska-farmer-amputates-leg-with-pocket-knife-after-its-caught-in-farming-machinary

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
I saw that covered on TV news last night.....I agree, he was a a TOUGH sumbich!  In the TV interview, he kept reiterating that he expected to pass out at any time during the self-amputation, but it never happened and he was conscious all the way to the hospital.  I remember Heather insisting that I start carrying a cell phone when out at the farm.....just for situations like this that could arise.  Nothing ever happened that I needed it for anything like that, but of course she was right.......ain't they always?  :rolleyes:

His pocket knife had a 3'' blade, huh?......sounds like a twin to the #8 Opinel that I always carry in the plier-pocket of my bibs for impromptu amputations, etc.  :lol:      I wonder if they'll do a movie on this old farmer like they did when that lone hiker amputated his own arm with a SAK when he got it caught under a boulder.  I doubt it. :coffee:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #367 on: May 15, 2019, 09:45:42 AM »
One time I was at the grain elevator with Dad, ranchers, and farmers.  I was the only kid there.  One of them told that story we've all heard a variation of .  The farmer turns his tractor over and gets pinned.  With superhuman strength his 125 lb wife/son/one armed neighbor runs out and lifts it off him saving his life.  I had a short movie in my head for years about that story.

Most of the stories amongst the men were more ribald than that.  So I guess that was a good one to keep in my head.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #368 on: May 15, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »
My sister did that. The jack slipped off and the car landed on her boyfriend's thigh pinning him to the ground. 1975 dodge dart and lifted it off him. He was bruised very badly all the way around from hip to knee. He kept saying it was a miracle from god. She lifted the whole thing. Truth be told she likely tilted the weight onto the left front tire releasing a majority of the weight, enough for him to slide out in a surge of adrenalin. Either way it did happen.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #369 on: July 10, 2019, 11:21:26 AM »

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #370 on: July 15, 2019, 08:46:52 PM »
I heard that,  did they account for taxes?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #371 on: July 16, 2019, 08:37:57 AM »
That will be the kiss of death for Nebraska.  Now all the old farts will move there and overload the medical system.  House prices will skyrocket, and they will vote in liberals who give them free crap.

Colorado is too high and so is Connecticut.  California should be last.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #372 on: July 16, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »
Nebraska is a great place.  Not all the people who live there are.

https://www.newscenter1.tv/nebraska-woman-arrested-for-climbing-mt-rushmore/
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #373 on: July 16, 2019, 09:49:04 PM »
I thought she was alright. She scampered up there barefoot and when confronted, she took responsibility for her adventure and paid the toll. Left the family with a story to tell for years to come. Now if she had gotten hurt and then whined about how it was unsafe, my opinion would be much different. As it is, she made me smile. It's nice to know there are still a few audacious souls willing to pull a stunt the rest of us wish we could. We all have a family story passed down about a crazy aunt or uncle. This was just a story in the making.  :banana:

I had an uncle write a book (Seventy years down the road) about the exploits and adventures while building a portion of the Alaskan highway back in the 40's, and then life back in Minnesota and the Dakotas in the 50's. I apparently come from a long line of nuts.  :shrug: :lol:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:58:02 PM by Pete Bog »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #374 on: July 17, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
So criminal activity involving trespass, refusal of a lawful order, and a couple of other things is okay in your book?   
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #375 on: July 17, 2019, 05:10:03 PM »
Depends, how fun is it? ;D

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #376 on: July 17, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »
So criminal activity involving trespass, refusal of a lawful order, and a couple of other things is okay in your book?
I've never been to Mt. Rushmore so I'm not familiar with the finer nuances of the display. But, I've been to a half dozen rodeos and a goat roping. What I have seen in a lot of those places is an over protective nanny mentality. While they mean well to protect the incompetent public from themselves, there is no real hazard to someone with accomplished skills. This woman is thirty years old. At some point you have to let an adult make their own decisions about their own mortality. As far as a lawful order, see the protective nanny mentality reference. The uniformed nannies are just doing their job. Guess which stories will make it into the repertoire of retelling after they retire.

This woman owned up to the infraction, paid her fine and moved on. Not having been there, I'm going to defer to her judgment. She is an adult. As far as the guys and gals in uniform, they don't get to use judgment in this instance. They have a job to do. Right, wrong, common sense or not, they need to fulfill their job description. And it sounds like they did. All is well with the world. I hope they tell the story well in their old age and are appropriately admired for their exploits by their grand children.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #377 on: July 17, 2019, 09:39:21 PM »
Mt. Rushmore is a bit more than a goat roping or rodeo. There is no nanny mentality.  It is illegal to climb on that national monument just like it illegal to climb up the Statue of Liberty.  End of story.  If she wants to be a climber she has lots of places to go climb.  She placed herself and those whose job it is to keep idiots off the monument at risk.  The woman is immature. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #378 on: July 17, 2019, 11:37:20 PM »
I thought you would catch the euphemism on rodeos and goat roping. I was wrong.
I thought you would be a bit pragmatic on this woman's exploits. I was wrong.......again.
I think I'm sorry.            but I could be wrong! :lol: :rofl: :banana: :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #379 on: July 18, 2019, 07:38:19 AM »
In short you were wrong in all ways one can be wrong.   :rofl:
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #380 on: July 18, 2019, 07:51:20 AM »
I've been called a lot of things over the years, But, In short is a first! :lol: :lol: 

Offline L0NER

• Mill File
« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2019, 07:55:25 PM »
Really need to go to Nebraska have a sister in law that lives there she loves it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #382 on: August 25, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
Really need to go to Nebraska have a sister in law that lives there she loves it.

Where in NEBRASKA? :shrug:

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #383 on: September 24, 2019, 08:26:15 PM »
Went on a 11 mile hike at Indian cave SP with some scouts.

Indian cave SP https://imgur.com/gallery/yB3tY4p

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #384 on: September 25, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »
That's a very pretty area and I've been there a couple of times.  It reminds me a lot of the terrain at Ponca State Park, up here in the northeast corner of the state......good places to go for people that think NEBRASKA is too flat! :lol:

Accolades to you for dedicating your valuable personal time to the Scouts! :hail:

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #385 on: September 26, 2019, 04:49:43 PM »
Now my son has Eagled out I just do the fun stuff.
Did you see the sign about mountain lion's?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #386 on: September 26, 2019, 05:06:31 PM »
It's been a while since I've been down there and there were no warning signs at that time, but we have occasional sightings and obvious lion-related deer-kills up here, too.....they show up on people's trail-cams all the time.  A young guy that I give permission to archery hunt deer on our farm showed me pictures of 3 real nice 9-pointers :) and 2 separate lions :-\ that he recovered from the cameras on our farm just last week.