Author Topic: BK15  (Read 10815 times)

Offline JTD

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
BK15
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:44:38 AM »
My wife got me a BK15 as a get well present yesterday.  :banana:  Feeling better already!

Since its kinda an odd knife, and I haven't seen much about it, figured I'd post up some pics, and maybe give a little review on it, after I use it a bit if anyone is interested.   

The specs are here: http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/165 But the big feature of this knife compared to the 16/17 is a thinner long trailing cutting edge.

Not really sure what my initial thoughts are about this knife.
Honestly its a little confusing.. The sheath/paint/handle screams ninja tactical.  The shape suggests it could possibly be a small chopper, but that's deceiving its too light and small.  The edge I'd say is more geared towards hunting knife type work, but looks like it could handle some light batoning, and also double for silently assassinating greedy warlords.
All together the BK15 has got me scratching my head a bit.  I'm not exactly sure what the design was truly for, but should be fun figuring it out.  I love odd knives to begin with so this looks right up my ally.

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
Re: BK15
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:17:47 AM »
BK15 naked, and in peanut butter scales.

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »
Interesting knife to say the least! The blade style is definitely reminiscent of a tanto shape. 0.165" is kind of an odd thickness in between 1/8" and 3/16".

It looks fine for skinning, food prep and general camp chores. The PB scales are definitely an improvement IMHO. I'll be interested in your thoughts after you use it a bit. :)
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:22:37 PM »
it's a 3/4 size version of the BK5 magnum camp knife -- which was designed by Jerry Fisk and Ethan Becker.
The blade shape actually has a heavy Persian influence, which lends itself very nicely to meat prep (and other camp chores) - it's even been used by some to process large fish (salmon, etc...)
the pouch is a decent size so it can to hold an altoid tin, multitool, fire steel, spork, or other similarly sized tools.
handle, scales, and sheath are shared across all 3 "Becker shorts" or tweeners, of which my personal favorite is the BK16, with its 4" drop point blade. 

the 15 works well as a food prep knife - especially if you strip or at least sand down the coating to smooth it out some. 
The dull swedge makes it easier to cut through soft materials, as it allows them to flow around the blade without creating the suction that a 90* spine would.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
That's exactly what it reminds me of.....my brother's 10" Victorinox scimitar steak knife....

http://butchersandpackers.com/knives-victorinox-7611160504074
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
A tactical steak knife?! :doh:   :P

I've been whittling wood, and snap cutting branches around my yard, and I have to agree that although the 15 can carve, and handle some woodcraft.  It seems more geared toward food prep.  Maybe the designers had field dressing/camp chore knife that can be pressed a bit hard if needed in mind for its application.  I've had the 16, and think its a much more versatile belt knife design, but this knife parred with a leatherman or pocket knife seems like it would be a good fit for a hunting trip.  Heck add a small axe, and it could be part of a Nessmuk trio.     

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
Hope you're feeling better JD. The thing I could never like about the black knives is the coating. I've had several and tried to love them but the black just killed it for me. Kind of like an asphalt coated blade. I'm slow witted and I'm sure many will not understand it..but that's just me. Give me shiny metal. I can keep it shiny.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
Yeah it looks like a tactical version of an older styled skinner knife to me.  I bet it would be a good hunting and food prep knife.  Maybe keep it around as the permanent camp knife or dub it "the loaner" for people learning.

good pics though.  I hadn't seen squat on this knife model. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 02:17:14 PM »
Hope you're feeling better JD. The thing I could never like about the black knives is the coating. I've had several and tried to love them but the black just killed it for me. Kind of like an asphalt coated blade. I'm slow witted and I'm sure many will not understand it..but that's just me. Give me shiny metal. I can keep it shiny.

Creek
Getting there buddy..
My knives/axes rust like crazy from humidity even with being slathered in mineral oil.  So I rarely strip them, but this one would probably benefit from it.
Don't get me wrong I'm not against coating either,  I drool all over google images of knives, and guns with custom skull duracoat camo..   :drool: But this knife seems like a good full time slicer,  that should be sporting a decent grey patina. 

On a side note I got a feeling this 15 is gonna lose a set of scales, and its sheath to an scandi bk project.    ;) 

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »
i really like the looks of those BK15 and the BK5....love those brown scales :drool:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »
i really like the looks of those BK15 and the BK5....love those brown scales :drool:...woods

I'm crushed Dave.   :shocked: :rofl:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 03:06:39 PM »
My favorite Becker,

The more I use it, the more I like it,

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 06:29:50 AM »
That's exactly what I think this knife should look like. 

What tasks do you use yours for LV?

Offline Lamewolf

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
I can see some mods hidden in the BK15 myself, mainly I can see turning it into a long drop point for a more general purpose shape.
Lamewolf
Manu Forti

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 05:21:15 PM »
Mine has seen a wide array of duty. Camp chores, kitchen chores, and general purpose cutting chores. It batons well enough, if you don't lose your mind. It is a bit hard on batons but I never saw that as much of a problem.

It is a great slicer. But also much more than that.

I tend to rotate a knife in and out of my use cycle.  So I get to try it at varying tasks. This one seems to be getting more use all the time.  Many fall way short in some category.  This one has done quite well. I like it's big brother too. But BK-15 is less frightening to the uninitiated. My buds call the BK-5 "The Pirate Knife"  this one has become "BP" for baby pirate.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:39:29 PM by LostViking »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 06:19:49 PM »
You can certainly see ol' Ethan Becker's experience in the kitchen showing through in that knife! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 11:22:28 AM »
I'll bet that more knives are used in kitchens around the world than for any other application.

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »
That's what drives my knife bus. Some happy medium between chores. I love a nuclear melt down battle princess. But it slices tomatoes poorly. And I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Even if it outside a lot of the time.

I think Ethan was wise to bring out the smaller line. They have been received very well. And I think part of that, is they fit well into everyday life.

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 08:08:03 AM »
Thanks for the insight LostViking, pretty solid assessment.  The more I look at your 15 the more I wanna go buy some paint stripper! 

Offline willis

• Mill File+
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »
1066vik,the Persian influence was what struck me,that and how much it also resembles the earliest knives Bo Randall made.Heres a pic that shows the Persian lines and one of my 15 and what its scales will be made from.It perplexes and saddens me that it and the 5 may soon be cut from the lineup.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 12:38:28 PM »
That's a nice piece of handle material! It should look good when it is finished.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »

I have a personal love/hate relationship with pictures like this.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 08:42:49 AM »
I really like the mid sized BK's.  I don't own any yet, but may get one or all in the future.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »

I have a personal love/hate relationship with pictures like this.

Alright, what did I do wrong?

Why the Hate?