Author Topic: Campaign covers (Smokey Bear hat)  (Read 4088 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Campaign covers (Smokey Bear hat)
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »
 I am looking to find & purchase a couple, if they are in decent shape or new.
As described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_hat

I wore one for 2 years about 30 years ago, & think I would like to have a couple for use in the remainder of my times, for when I am out in the sticks. They worked great for many years as "issue" for a lot of vets, including me; & I think I would like to have one or two more for wearing when I am out in the sticks.

Thanks Mike, if you can find some.
 :)
JB
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Re: Campaign covers (Smokey Bear hat)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »
I have one over at my folks' house, bought brand new years ago and barely worn since. I can have a look next time I'm over there.
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
JB,

let me know what size you need and I'll see what I can come up with.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Double Ott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:02 AM »
Lots of them here....

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/campaign-hat

Tom
Double Ott  aka Tom
Northern Wisconsin

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:33:46 PM »
7-/8 to7-1/4 hat size would likely be the hat size for me. A little larger would be OK since I can always fill in a the headband inside with some cloth, or the like to fill in for any oversize. Smaller might be OK, with"stretch" of the felt. The ones we wore back when I was at P.I., were tighter & kept in a "like new" condition for the most part. It was part of our job to keep them that way as "Inspection ready", although we all had our own ways of making our covers a part of who we were.

We "earned" the privilege of wearing of them back then, as I am sure they still do now to this day. So...I guess I see it as a , " if you didn't earn one, you got no say in the wearing, or owning of one."
So the mindset I have, is because I earned mine by hard work & experience, and if ya didn't do what I did at one time or another, you ain't got nothing to say about whether or not I should want to wear one now...I am glad to see no one has said a thing...
;)

Anyway, Diogenes, If you would care to part with the one you have available to ya and it would fit & be at a decent price... I would be proud & happy to make some sort of arrangements to do a deal.

Mike, If you can find one or two that might fit & are in a "servicable" condition. I am still interested.

Double Ott,
  I thank you for the Ebay reference, but I do not do "ebay". I prefer to do a deal with folks with whom I have done business with over time & have been happy with those dealings. Mike has been a fine source for my needs in military supplies in the past, &  thus I went to him first with my request. Thanks again for your suggestion about ebay though. I appreciate your efforts in helping me with my search. If I am not able to find a "preferred", or local source, I will consider looking in that direction.
:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »
If you are a Scoutmaster in the Boy Scouts of America you can wear one, also. 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
If you are a Scoutmaster in the Boy Scouts of America you can wear one, also. 8)

Maybe the significance of wearing the campaign hat by scoutmasters, signifies their part in the making of boys into men. In that regard, I see some similarities.

Regardless.

Thanks for your insightful comment. The Wikipedia link above, also references others who wear, or have worn the campaign hat at one time or another.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 07:30:21 PM »
I never knew you were a Mountie...  8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »

:rofl:

ROFLMAO ... Now that is a good one, zammer!
 :cheers:

No. I was not a Mountie.... Although I can claim that I was a "mounter" more than a few times in my past. Haven't forgotten how either.
 ;)

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »
Anyway, Diogenes, If you would care to part with the one you have available to ya and it would fit & be at a decent price... I would be proud & happy to make some sort of arrangements to do a deal.

I'll check the size for you, Mn. If it'll fit, I'd let it go for the cost of shipping. How'd that work? ;)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 06:21:29 AM »

I'll check the size for you, Mn. If it'll fit, I'd let it go for the cost of shipping. How'd that work? ;)

Very cool offer.  I hope it fits.

JB,

I'm afraid I struck out with my connections. As I'm sure you understand, those that earned the right to wear  them don't generally give them up so the used market is scarce.

Thank you for thinking of me first my friend.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 07:06:49 AM »
Diogenes, That would be a great gesture if it can work out.
:thumbsup:
Thanks, either way it works.

WB/Mike, no problem, I understand. I currently have mine in a "block" hanging on the wall with my dogtags & a "churchkey", from my days at P.I..

It will stay on the wall, so I was looking for another one, (or two) to wear afield.

Thanks to all for their help! I will keep looking around anyway, not a hurry, but something I would like to do.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »

ROFLMAO ... Now that is a good one, zammer!
 :cheers:

8) I thought you might like that.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »

More than happy to do it, Mn. ;)

I just got off the phone with my dad. He found the hat. I'll be over there tomorrow, so I'll get some measurements for you.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »

More than happy to do it, Mn. ;)

I just got off the phone with my dad. He found the hat. I'll be over there tomorrow, so I'll get some measurements for you.

Thanks Diogenes!

Hope it works out, as I have been wanting to wear a campaign cover in the woods , instead of my camo ball-cap, boonie hat, or fedora, for some time. It is kind of a "life wish" to wear one again,but in a different , more laid back environment than the one I wore it in before.

I am OK with what ever happens. Your efforts are really appreciated, I will not forget them!

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 09:07:35 PM »
Alright, Mn. I measured it and I think it actually is either 7 1/8 or 7 1/4. What are the chances? ;)

Here's a pic. The dark spots are rain drops from the weather tonight. There is a little circle on the crown from a pin I'd had on there for years. I hope that's not a deal breaker for you. There also a small, almost unnoticeable spot on the brim where a moth had chewed on it a bit. Let me know what you think and I'll get it shipped out to you. :)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
  I would be happy if you really choose to part with it!
 I do not know what memories it may hold for you, but if you are willing to let it go to one who would wear it with pride...then I would certainly be willin to work something out to make things "square" for both of us!

Any "spots" or "marks" you might mention are a sign of "character", & do not detract from the condition of it, in the way I see things. I plan to wear it in the woods & it will likely see more "spots" & "marks" over time... including raindrops. LOL
;D

Please let me know by PM, on how you would like to handle things. I am certainly interested.

Thanks Diogenes!
JB

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
PM sent, JB.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »
Thanks to all for the help here!

Diogenes, you have a return PM.

Mike...
  You are an outstanding man to find items like this, & even though it didn't work out this time, I can assure ya that I will make you the first contact in future purchases.
    You are an asset that is not always utilized, & can sometime be under appreciated. That is a mistake, if folks need what you might be able to locaute & procure for the benefit of all parties.

I will continue to ask you to use your skills in what ya do, to help me out & I hope others realize what talents you have, in regard to finding what they may be looking for in locating things of a military nature.

:thumbsup: to ya, & thanks for your help in this deal, even though it didn't work out as planned.
Diogenes came thru this time & "Kudos" to him for that too!

Once again... Thanks to you all, for those that tried to help!

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Jb and Diogenes,

It was truly a pleasure to see such a positive interaction here on my vendor forum.  Really heartwarming.

JB I'm thrilled you found your cover and Diogenes, good on you for coming through.

Thanks to both of you standup guys,

Mike

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »
Awesome thread all the way around!