Author Topic: This year's crop??  (Read 2548 times)

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
This year's crop??
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »
How are you folks seeing your seasonal crops?

Our early rasberries did ok, not great but ok,
Blackberries are virtually nonexistent,
Blueberries decent,

No pears on the trees,
No apples, even on the crab apple trees,
Tomatoes were marginal at best.
Corn is small, it tastes good, but it's small,
Oregano did great,
Mint did great,
Basil and Thyme were borderline,
Peas were late, but ok,

Usually we have enough that we are canning our butts off, drying and giving stuff away. This year we can't feed ourselves with what we have grown. A troubling predicament. Truthfully, if we had to live off this year's crop harvest. We would be in serious trouble. Fortunately, last year was a great year and there is much still left.

How is everyone else seeing it out there in your gardens??

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: This year's crop??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »
Absolute mess this year!

5 apples on the crabapple tree.
6 Rainier cherries on the tree.
One apple tree took this year off, and the other one is at about 50% last year's yield.
Two pear trees didn't even leaf out, and are believed to be dead (hit by fire blight during LAST year's screwed up Spring weather).
Apricot tree with about a dozen blossoms, and 60% foliage.
I have 4 plums on my Italian Prune tree that yielded 25 gallons of plumbs for the past 10 years running.

Our strawberries were...disappointin g.

Other crops are struggling. End blight on several tomato plants. Cabbage did well, but got overrun with slugs. Zucchini is the poorest crop in 10 years.

Up side is the purple pole beans are dripping with pods, and we harvested about 15 pounds of raspberries this year.  The corn (sweet bantam) has just tasseled, and ears are forming. This is the first year we've been successful with cauliflower.

We're up to our hips in kale, and the Hubbard squash and field pumpkins may succeed.

The pepper varieties in the greenhouse are behind schedule. Hoping for the promised 'warm' September.

All our herbs (oregano, sage, etc.) are thriving.

So far our Fall Harvest is looking a bit sparse.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:55:43 PM »
I guess I'm not alone. Not sure if I feel better or worse,

I was hoping it was localized for other's sake.  I spent the week about 6 hours south of here and my friends were reporting similar issues, troubling.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
We had an "Exceptional" category drought here two years ago, but this year has been very cool with record-breaking precipitation. :shrug:    The results in the gardens have been varied.  We had abundant amounts of earlier cool-weather crops.....radishes, green beans, leaf-lettuce, sweet corn, etc.   The tomatoes & cucumbers, however are taking FOREVER to mature and ripen! >:(    We have lots of green, to whitish tomatoes on the vines, but they just sit there and will not ripen.  Usually, by this time of year, we are trying to preserve as many as we have the time to process and giving buckets of them to older people that no longer have gardens.  Weird year. :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Monkee Peterson

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 03:30:39 PM »
I've been waitin' for 8 years for sand plums, finally got some this summer.
   wild blackberrys were very prolific, as they have been for several past years.
grafted plum trees seem to fruit every 3 years or so, nothin' this year.
   apricots were sparce but the ones we got were damm fine.
grafted peach trees did great, I have a lot of'em in the freezer.
   volunteer peach trees have smaller fruit but they are LOADED rite now, the coyotes are helpin' me with'em.  I'm pickin'em every day and takin'em to a senior center near here.
   pears have done great this year, I'd like to try a dutch oven cobbler but it's 100 degrees every day, and I'm stayin' inside.
   the heat has killed 3 new young apple trees and one of my 3 hardy kiwi vines.  my 4 young nectarine trees are alive, that's all I can tell about'em for now. 
   between the weeds and the coyotes, I haven't gotten one single watermelon this year, and haven't for the past few years.  next year the melon patch is gonna be okra.
   I just finished a new deck down at the garden shed that is in full sun for half a day, then shade after that.  that's where the tomatos will be in planter pots from now on.  horn worms moved in and wiped us out in one nite.
   we had a nice harvest from the established grape vines but the new plants are merely hangin' on. 

that's about all I've got.  except that my pond is dangerously low and I'm worried about my 30 pound grass carp that I've had in there for 10 years.     

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
We have crab apples and apples.  No choke cherries and few plums.  Wild asparagus was okay.

We have had a dry summer until this week when we got 1.1" of moisture over two and half days.  The wind is up now trying to dry it out before it soaks into the ground.   :-*

No garden this year as I was in poor health at planting time and didn't get it done.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
No attempt at a garden is probably a blessing in disguise this year, Stan.

They say growin' stuff should get 1" of water per week. Good luck with that..... :(
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline TAPRACKFIRE

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:01:40 PM »
I've planted lots of fruit trees here on my place and they all die.  I have pretty poor soil here in Oklahoma

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
They tell me our apples are going to have another bumper year.   Which seems weird to me.  Last year was dry and hot this year is cool and wet.  Must be good irrigation?   :shrug:

Offline Monkee Peterson

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
I stopped in atwoods today for weedeater line, they had a barrel of seed packets priced at 10 for a dollar.  I bought 20 packs of sweet corn, maybe that'll be in the melon patch next year. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
Remember those 5 crabapples I mentioned?  The deer (1 doe) ate all of them. Along with most of the lower leaves off the apricot tree, and the new canes in the raspberry patch.  >:(

After a couple hundred hours of tending, and a couple thousand gallons of water nursing the garden through the hottest summer on record, I got (before the hard freezes last night and tonight...THANKS CANADA!):

2 acorn squash
2 baby blue Hubbard squash
2 (unripe) field pumpkins
40 pounds of green tomatoes
About a dozen jalape?o peppers (instead of 3 dozen)
2 pablano peppers (plant is still blooming)
2 paprika peppers (out of 3 plants)
15 ears of sweet corn off five 12 foot rows.
None of the cayennes matured, so they are hanging with two bunches of Thai peppers in the root cellar -- fingers crossed.

And the rest of the month is supposed to be hot and dry.....:pissed:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »
It's supposed to get down into the low 30s here tomorrow night.  We'll cover the tomatoes and they should be OK, but it's hard to cover a soybean field......that's what I'm REALLY worried about! :-\

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »
I was hearing on the radio that this year might be the largest soybean crop ever.  I don't know what that means to you Wolfy.  Is it good because you get a good yield or is it bad because prices will be lower because supply is higher?   :shrug:   Normally the guys down at the Farm Bureau would tell me these things but I have not had to go there in some time. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 07:14:24 PM »
I would be the world's biggest fool, :P not to be thankful for a bountiful harvest, but it will not be without the attending problems that come along with it.  This will be the largest corn and soybean harvest in the history of the country.......accor ding to the government prognosticators. >:(   Storage and shipping are going to be a nightmare of biblical proportion this year.  Crop prices are in the dumper and falling with each government report that comes out.  Corn was down $.08 today and soybeans were down $.12, that doesn't sound like much, until you multiply it by thousands of bushels and day after day.  At present, both commodities are worth approximately 1/3 what they were just 2 years ago.......and it ain't a harvest 'til it's in the bin, either.  Just one big hail storm or flood could take it all in a matter of hours! :-\

What a dumbass job! :doh:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »
..........and it ain't a harvest 'til it's in the bin, either.  Just one big hail storm or flood could take it all in a matter of hours! :-\

I only have a 2500 sq ft garden, and the weather can give me Zero return in a heartbeat.  But I guess if I was really dependent upon the yield, I'd have it all under cover with climate control and irrigation. :P

Oh...did I mention I have exactly TWO plums on a tree that has yielded 25 gallons of plums every year for 10 years?

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 06:35:06 AM »
..........and it ain't a harvest 'til it's in the bin, either.  Just one big hail storm or flood could take it all in a matter of hours! :-\

I only have a 2500 sq ft garden, and the weather can give me Zero return in a heartbeat.  But I guess if I was really dependent upon the yield, I'd have it all under cover with climate control and irrigation. :P

Oh...did I mention I have exactly TWO plums on a tree that has yielded 25 gallons of plums every year for 10 years?

My apple trees are like your plum tree, nothing

By way of an update, if I had to depend on our crops to get us through the winter, I would be very concerned. Corn has large kernels, but is really sweet. So that was fine. Tomatoes are OK, but nothing spectacular, and way off from last year.  Herbs are doing really well. The rhubarb was great.

But the natural stuff, concerns me. No apples on the trees, next to no blackberries.  Small rasberry crop. Also not seeing many beechnuts, or acorns.

I know many of these issues can be cyclical, but it is still unnerving.  It makes you realize how fragile food sources can be. We have been lucky so far. No frost yet, but it is 42 right now. So it is pretty much over.

I am thinking about another green house. I had one years ago, but it went with the house when I sold it. When you have snow on the ground into mid may, it helps to augment the season a bit.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 06:51:36 AM »
In NC,  Black berries, Blue Berries, Deer Berries... chasing the bears away to try and save them.  Kinda felt bad.  They had a hard winter.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 07:05:01 AM »
I would be the world's biggest fool, :P not to be thankful for a bountiful harvest, but it will not be without the attending problems that come along with it.  This will be the largest corn and soybean harvest in the history of the country.......accor ding to the government prognosticators. >:(   Storage and shipping are going to be a nightmare of biblical proportion this year.  Crop prices are in the dumper and falling with each government report that comes out.  Corn was down $.08 today and soybeans were down $.12, that doesn't sound like much, until you multiply it by thousands of bushels and day after day.  At present, both commodities are worth approximately 1/3 what they were just 2 years ago.......and it ain't a harvest 'til it's in the bin, either.  Just one big hail storm or flood could take it all in a matter of hours! :-\

That is kind of what I figured.  I am not a farmer but one of my clients is the local Farm Bureau so I get a pretty good education from those folks on the issues farmers face.  I like to try and understand all my clients businesses so I can make good recommendations for them.  Good luck this year my friend.   

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »
I am thinking about another green house. I had one years ago, but it went with the house when I sold it. When you have snow on the ground into mid may, it helps to augment the season a bit.
A greenhouse doesn't do much good unless you can heat it. It was 23F in my greenhouse this morning at 0600.  I had passive water heating in there, but anything close to the skin of the greenhouse was toast this morning.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »
We got to 27 F last night.  I think the way it dropped slowly it didn't kill everthing.  I am not seeing any wilt yet.  Forecast is for about ten days of decent weather.  I sure hope so.

Hope your soybeans are okay Wolfy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »
We got to 27 F last night.  I think the way it dropped slowly it didn't kill everthing.  I am not seeing any wilt yet.  Forecast is for about ten days of decent weather.  I sure hope so.

Only got down to 42 F last night, but it rained most of the time.  Tonight it is supposed to be clear, so they're saying 34 F and 'patchy' frost.  The beans on the river bottom should be OK because the river 'tempers' the cold a bit.....it's the creek bottom beans along the left side of this photo, that I'm most concerned with. :-\

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »

It's as much the duration as it is the temperature. Sweet corn can stand 32-33 F for a few hours, but 28 deg for only a few minutes.
The temps here last night got below freezing for about 5 hours, which toasted just about everything!